The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

+49
nathan
Heaf
Cumbrian
englishborn
Seagultaf
rosbif
Margin_Walker
prop_lyd
GunsGermsV2
munkian
uncle_nigel
Gooseberry
killer938
geoff999rugby
Dollar Bill
Bathman_in_London
B91212
ChequeredJersey
BigGee
wayne
LondonTiger
WELL-PAST-IT
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Recwatcher16
SirBurger
lostinwales
XR
Hazel Sapling
stnick88
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
No 7&1/2
whocares
beshocked
Fluxy
Sgt_Pooly
Geordie
king_carlos
Cyril
BamBam
True Raven
HongKongCherry
mikey_dragon
Welly
propdavid_london
yappysnap
Bathite
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
53 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 2 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Oct 2016, 7:28 am

First topic message reminder :

Nit before the Lions tour. Don't think any of the All Black internationals will end their career pre tour.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by beshocked Tue 11 Oct 2016, 2:38 pm

Quins have had two big wins at home this season. It's on the road where Quins have suffered. Shouldn't be too disheartened.

Saracens have been good at picking up good players and not all have come in at the height of their value.

Lozowski was 3rd choice FH at Wasps.

Barrington is another who though not an academy product was brought in from Jersey.

You have to also factor in that Maitland was brought in from LI who were relegated last season. Hardly can bargain from a position of strength.

Bosch had injury issues and left a sinking Biarritz. Figallo had serious injury issues.

Not sure if it's counted but Rawaca left Saracens to go home. I assume his salary doesn't count anymore as he's not being paid.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by whocares Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:11 pm

Was Figallo the prop that was not allowed to play in the T14 because of his long term injuries?

Re Cathrakilis it is quite ironic for Quins that he is now below Botica in the MHR FH picking order Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:15 pm

whocares wrote:Was Figallo the prop that was not allowed to play in the T14 because of his long term injuries?

Re Cathrakilis it is quite ironic for Quins that he is now below Botica in the MHR FH picking order Smile

Yup it's Figallo.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/injury-forces-figallo-to-saracens/

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:16 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Oh right, I was unsure of their age and limitations. Koch is the current SA tighthead isn't he? I wasn't aware that they'd signed him. Are Sarries still being investigated for salary cap breaches or has that been swept under the rug? It's a superstar team - I think they'll have a period of dominance like that Toulon team did.

Pretty sure they'll be under the cap now, but the 'investigation' won't see the light of day for one reason or another.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:19 pm

*cough cough" cover up *cough cough* we'll sue you *cough cough*

Dear me, has anyone seen our v2 Doctor about?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:27 pm

whocares - You aren't serious are you? Botica is the no.1 pick at Montpellier?
Well, at the moment - before they get Cruden.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:50 pm

propdavid_london wrote:whocares - You aren't serious are you? Botica is the no.1 pick at Montpellier?

Not always but in Toulon he was their FH while last weekend he was playing FB anyway.

EDIT : sometimes Fran Steyn also is played at 10 so difficult to know who is their N1

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:24 pm

propdavid_london wrote:whocares - You aren't serious are you? Botica is the no.1 pick at Montpellier?

I hope they don't sign Cruden. What a waste. Maybe Cotter will change things when he gets there but currently Montpellier aren't a pretty team to watch and we're quick to marginalise their last attacking 10 Trunh-Duc. Having said that I've not seen them this season but White is a pragmatic coach first and foremost.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:25 pm

He started 5 games at fly half, which is more then the other two. So I assume he is first choice but there's been rotation/injury or poor form to change things.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:29 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

I hope they don't sign Cruden. What a waste. Maybe Cotter will change things when he gets there but currently Montpellier aren't a pretty team to watch and we're quick to marginalise their last attacking 10 Trunh-Duc. Having said that I've not seen them this season but White is a pragmatic coach first and foremost.

He'd be wasted in this current team. Jake white has ruined them, they're terrible to watch, their fans dislike them and White refuses to change or look at more exciting players, the way he treated local boy Trinc-Duc was terrible. They went the football route and baught success and for that they've got anti rugby and less fans then they've had in the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Makes me so angry that Quins played bad enough to let them beat them.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:37 pm

I felt that Dragons weren't far off them either - which considering the names in their lineup is absolutely ridiculous.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 12 Oct 2016, 9:26 am

yappysnap wrote:

He'd be wasted in this current team. Jake white has ruined them, they're terrible to watch, their fans dislike them and White refuses to change or look at more exciting players, the way he treated local boy Trinc-Duc was terrible. They went the football route and baught success and for that they've got anti rugby and less fans then they've had in the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Quins didn't even show up for that final! Never mind playing badly......I was quite Miffed when Kingston said in a recent interview that Quins put everything into that final!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 12 Oct 2016, 9:37 am

yappysnap wrote:

That's the dilemma.

Do you want to watch exciting but ultimately losing rugby or boring winning rugby if you had a choice?

Montpellier are currently 3rd in the Top 14, won the Challenge Cup last season. From a result's perspective that's not bad going.

"Exciting" generally means mercurial, capable of brilliance but also madness.

It's romantic to want exciting rugby, attacking from your own 22 every single time but it's not pragmatic.

It also requires very high skill levels to execute.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 12 Oct 2016, 10:14 am

beshocked wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

That's the dilemma.

Do you want to watch exciting but ultimately losing rugby or boring winning rugby if you had a choice?

Montpellier are currently 3rd in the Top 14, won the Challenge Cup last season. From a result's perspective that's not bad going.

"Exciting" generally means mercurial, capable of brilliance but also madness.

It's romantic to want exciting rugby, attacking from your own 22 every single time but it's not pragmatic.

It also requires very high skill levels to execute.

I agree completely.

With White and Montpellier though he went too far, badly mismanaged popular local players and brought in too many over seas players. He may have won something but he's lost the fan base (ticket sales are down a lot) is regularly hounded in the papers, and is now getting released at the end of the season.

There's a balancing act between success and keeping the fans happy and White screwed up big.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:00 pm

Stuart Hogg re-signs at Glasgow on a 2 year deal until 2019.

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:08 pm

Laidlaw has signed for Clermont.

If I was Glous I would try and sign a cheap oldish 9 and blood Braley, and use that Marquee signing in the front 5 or maybe 10/15.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:09 pm

George Carlin wrote:Stuart Hogg re-signs at Glasgow on a 3 year deal until 2019.

Disappointing.... he's the one Scotsman not already playing for us I would have liked to seen playing for Sarries even though it would be unlikely he'd come.

A hell of a coup for Glasgow as he's Scotland's MVP though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:56 pm

Glaws lost Robson as he sat behind Laidlaw and now Laid law has gone as well. Not great for them but they do have the experience of Heinz and young Bareley to develop. Harbury may well have another gem waiting for them as well as Glaws do generally have a productive academy. Though a real general in the midfield still eludes them.

Great news for Glasgow though I was hoping that Mauger and Cockers might have had a work in his ear this weekend and pointed out the benefits of playing in Leicester. Hogg is a very good player with a great rounded skill set. The probable Lions selection.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 12 Oct 2016, 4:58 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Glaws lost Robson as he sat behind Laidlaw and now Laid law has gone as well. Not great for them but they do have the experience of Heinz and young Bareley to develop. Harbury may well have another gem waiting for them as well as Glaws do generally have a productive academy. Though a real general in the midfield still eludes them.

Great news for Glasgow though I was hoping that Mauger and Cockers might have had a work in his ear this weekend and pointed out the benefits of playing in Leicester. Hogg is a very good player with a great rounded skill set. The probable Lions selection.

We do indeed. Harry Randall, the current England U20 SH, who is still only 18 is a hell of a prospect. He probably isn't ready to play regularly next year, but I'd like to see him feature.

Gutted re Laidlaw, but not unexpected and I completely understand his decision; we're a rubbish team and he can be paid far more to be part of a successful side, albeit Clermont are like Glaws in that they choke in finals... Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 12 Oct 2016, 5:05 pm

Tigers have signed Argentinian back row Tomas Leonradi. Not stated whether it's injury dispensation for Mike Williams or something longer term. Either way he's been immediately registered for European action at the expense of Michelle Rizzo.

I can't say I know much about him (other than recognising the name from his time at Edinburgh) but he seems a bit of a journey man in recent seasons. Tigers definitely need something in the back row with Williams out, whether Leornadi is what we need will be seen though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 12 Oct 2016, 6:41 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Glaws lost Robson as he sat behind Laidlaw and now Laid law has gone as well. Not great for them but they do have the experience of Heinz and young Bareley to develop. Harbury may well have another gem waiting for them as well as Glaws do generally have a productive academy. Though a real general in the midfield still eludes them.

We do indeed. Harry Randall, the current England U20 SH, who is still only 18 is a hell of a prospect.  He probably isn't ready to play regularly next year, but I'd like to see him feature.

Gutted re Laidlaw, but not unexpected and I completely understand his decision; we're a rubbish team and he can be paid far more to be part of a successful side, albeit Clermont are like Glaws in that they choke in finals... Wink

Is Randall is the midget scrum half with the jet propelled pace and step? If so then he's a potential game changer once he's grown a little bit.

Leonardi is a bit of squad filler. Not really what we were hoping for really. He'll be combative and offer some good experience but it's worrying Croft is not on the scene as I'd prefer him to in the squad. I also hope this isn't going to impact the game time for Evans who is an outstanding young talent.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 12 Oct 2016, 9:27 pm

That's the one Sam. With him and Mat Protheroe coming through we could end up with the smallest and fastest half back pairing ever!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 12 Oct 2016, 10:28 pm

Is Croft the new tom Rees? Wouldn't be surprised if I heard he never played again

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Wed 12 Oct 2016, 10:36 pm

Eztebeth deal to Sarries, according to Mark McCall is off.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 13 Oct 2016, 10:27 am

HongKongCherry wrote:That's the one Sam. With him and Mat Protheroe coming through we could end up with the smallest and fastest half back pairing ever!

Protheroe is very quick but looked a rabbit in headlights when at 10 for the under 20s. Well out if his depth. A move to 15 might be the best option for him though his tackling is nearly non existent.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 13 Oct 2016, 10:38 am

HongKongCherry wrote:

We do indeed. Harry Randall, the current England U20 SH, who is still only 18 is a hell of a prospect.  He probably isn't ready to play regularly next year, but I'd like to see him feature.

Is Harry Randall that tiny SH? That played in the U20s WC?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 13 Oct 2016, 10:38 am

Sorry - just realised that was answered above!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 14 Oct 2016, 1:03 pm

Alex King leaving Saints - http://www.planetrugby.com/news/northampton-announce-king-exit/

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri 14 Oct 2016, 1:17 pm

propdavid_london wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:

Is Harry Randall that tiny SH? That played in the U20s WC?

Yes, he was a wales under 16 cap before moving to Hartpury. Can't see him having a career though as he is like 5ft. Would get smashed about on the pitch.

Any chance you could send Protheroe home please, we could do with fullback cover and the guy is electric

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 14 Oct 2016, 1:27 pm

He should be fine IMO Thacker isn't that big and is playing AP and European rugby @2! Being a 9 he should be fine.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri 14 Oct 2016, 1:33 pm

Let's hope so Welly, he stole the show (along with Paul Graysons son) when England under 18s beat us last year

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 14 Oct 2016, 4:16 pm

Dragons are rumoured to be in talks with backs coach Alex King. Early days yet though, we've only had a coffee at Starbucks. Supposedly Bristol and a couple French teams wanted to also speak with him (Toulon's name banded about).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 17 Oct 2016, 3:50 pm

News in France that Toulon are losing Giteau and Mitchell. But are replacing them with Ashton and Dagg.

Apparently the Ashton deal is wrapped up while the Dagg deal is on going.

Looks like Chris has given up on an England place and is looking to the future.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 17 Oct 2016, 3:54 pm

Neither of which are a replacement for Giteau by the sound of it, and apparently it's him they miss the most? They might also be losing another high percentage kicker in Halfpenny...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 17 Oct 2016, 3:57 pm

Shane Geraghty to Bristol.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:00 pm

Surely Ashton still a bit too young to sign for Toulon? He's only 29 after all...

Dagg is too young as well.

Last edited by beshocked on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:01 pm

Like the discussions about Cruden and other ABs - its unlikely that any of them would want to miss out on playing the Lions. So any deal would be after that tour.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

Saia Fainga'a to London Irish

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:55 pm

Dagg has struggled to get his place back from Ben Smith and with the rise of Damien McKenzie may be thinking an extra 2 years of high pay may be more worthwhile than potentially missing the WC squad again.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 17 Oct 2016, 5:03 pm

Dagg has played almost all RC games on the wing and has looked pretty good tbh. I'd be surprised if he was looking for a move at the minute but money talks.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Oct 2016, 7:52 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Neither of which are a replacement for Giteau by the sound of it, and apparently it's him they miss the most? They might also be losing another high percentage kicker in Halfpenny...

Giteau I'd a monumental loss. So much creativity and a midfield general at 10 or 12. Watching him in tandem with Wilko using the Toulon glory years was awesome.

They have already signed Goramaru who has similar strengths to Halfpenny. Halfpenny looked someway short of his best vs Sarries and I still think James O"Connor can become an incredible 15 if he applies himself.

Are these LI movements mid season or summer moves? 

Dagg is 29 and has struggled with bad injuries previously. He might see this as the best way to secure his pension. Two years in France then a swansong in Japan at 32 could make life post rugby a lot easier for him and his family.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 17 Oct 2016, 9:01 pm

Don't shoot me for this but I believe Dagg is 27 because he was in the same age group as Halfpenny. He formed a back 3 with Maitland and Guildford for the baby blacks I'm sure of it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Oct 2016, 9:18 pm

A wiki search says he's 28. Maitland, Guilford and Dagg so much unrealised potential.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 17 Oct 2016, 9:46 pm

I remember watching the Sharks crusaders game in Twickenham 5 years back. That crusaders backline was unreal with maitland dagg guildford fruean. So much unrealized potential with the exception of dagg! Hopefully fruean will be a beast from november

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Oct 2016, 10:01 pm

The luxury of Slade and Carter at that time as well as Crotty. The Crusaders certainly had some talented options. Might have some coming through now as well in Havali and Mo'unga. Can't see them breaking theor hoodoo and winking another Super 15 title though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 18 Oct 2016, 6:27 am

Not with how the chiefs and hurricanes have progressed TBH, but then anything can happen.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 18 Oct 2016, 8:11 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:A wiki search says he's 28. Maitland, Guilford and Dagg so much unrealised potential.

I think they did play together at junior level - either Dagg is one of the oldest or he's a year ahead. The other full back in that back 3 was Trent Renata I think. He didn't really kick on beyond NPC. These guys played in the same back line at Dan Kirkpatrick if that name rings a bell - he had a few seasons in France.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 19 Oct 2016, 8:00 am

Nicky Thomas has left Glaws with immediate effect to join Scarlets. Good scrummager, infinitely better than PDJ (but then who isn't?!), sadly his non-EQP status coupled with his considerable mid-rift limited his chances for us. An old school prop.

We've replaced him with another old school prop who hopefully will consign PDJ to just prodding the turf at half time with a fork. Salesi Ma'afu has joined us from Cardiff; he may be a shadow of his Saints days, but if we could get him even 50% of the way he'd be a considerable step up from PDJ and provide proper back up to Afoa. Afoa can comfortably play a whole game, but this should work well with Ma'afu coming on for the last c.20 minutes (if we can get him properly fit!).
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 19 Oct 2016, 8:43 am

Good luck getting him fit, the blues been trying that for nearly a year. He hasn't played for us this year and instead has featured a few times for the rags, very unfit and seemingly no desire to get fitter.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 19 Oct 2016, 10:04 am

Didn't he have some criminal problems off the pitch? Perhaps mentally his heads just not in the game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next