The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Tour Finals

+23
Haddie-nuff
Danny_1982
Aut0Gr4ph
Belovedluckyboy
R!skysports
Jermaine2015
dummy_half
monty junior
Mad for Chelsea
slashermcguirk
Chazfazzer
LuvSports!
CaledonianCraig
summerblues
sirfredperry
MrInvisible
barrystar
Henman Bill
lags72
Calder106
banbrotam
Born Slippy
Guest82
27 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

World Tour Finals - Page 6 Empty World Tour Finals

Post by Guest82 Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Is this going to be the worst quality one of all time?

No one is going to be in form, bar Murray, who is starting to look tired.

Djokovic - hasn't played well since RG
Murray - trying to be YE no1 must be tiring him out. To win Vienna and Paris will be his last four tournaments won I think.
Stan - is he ever in form, except for at the business end of the odd slam he wins. Nearly lost to The Donald yesterday.
Raonic - lost to Berankis (who lost to Marcus Willis at Wimbledon) this week.
Nishikori - probably in the next best form after Murray.
Monfils - Injured. Last seen losing to Gastao Elias.
Thiem - hasn't played well since before Wimbledon. Burn out/injury. Lost to Troicki in his home tournament.
Berdych - lost to Basilashvili this week.

Goffin - lost early, although to Delpo, this week.
Cilic - probably a bit far back.

I've got tickets too!

Guest82

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals - Page 6 Empty Re: World Tour Finals

Post by Guest82 Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Born Slippy wrote:I think it's more than just motivation with Novak. He's clearly had some physical issues and also the strong suggestion of some form of personal issue with his marriage. I suspect it's a combination of factors leading to his poor form.

That said, I said on Lydian's thread back in April (about Murray's failings against the top guys) that I felt he was closing the gap to Novak and that the improvements (particularly in his serve this year) gave him a real shot. Faster courts particularly give him a great shot against Novak.

2017 promises much all-round. There's a lot to look forward to when Australia comes around.

I did hear a rumour that Djokovic was having an affair with an actress, which his wife found out about during Wimbledon. His tennis is just so poor compared to the start of the season that it is hard to see him getting it back. At least with Murray he was coming back from surgery which everyone knew may take time.

He also looked very slender (more so that usual) during the WTF.

Djokovic also praised Kim:

And Djokovic paid tribute to Murray's wife Kim, who gave birth to their daughter Sophia in February.

"We should all let Andy enjoy this a little bit," he said.

"Don't ask him questions about next season. He deserves to be in the moment and to really take everything in that he achieved.

"His team as well, and his wife. She has to get some credit, guys. She gave birth this year. He has travelled all over the place.

"I know how it is with my wife Jelena, what she had to go through as a mother back home with a little baby.

"So, Kim, well done. She's maybe made even a bigger effort than Andy."

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:42 pm

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/video/epic-becker-v-lendl-1988-masters-final

5 minute highlights of famous and epic win

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:36 pm

Henman Bill wrote:http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/video/epic-becker-v-lendl-1988-masters-final

Had a look at it yesterday on the ATP web site and was surprised how good it still looks compared to today's tennis. Usually matches from 3 decades ago look a lot slower than how we remember them!
Also had a look at the 2005 WTF, just to see how much the game has moved on in the last decade or so:

Masters Cup Final 2005

Would Murray have an easy win against 2005 'Fat Dave'?
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:20 am

No. If you look at Sampras at Wimbledon 99 would Murray beat him - unlikely. The game doesn't always move forwards in terms of skill, athleticism maybe because the focus there has changed but skill is skill and many matches of yesteryear showcase that brilliantly. To be honest the final on Sunday was rather dull and yet we hear Petchy come out with all kind of superlatives...I'm not so easily convinced. I do miss real skill on tour for the respective surfaces and wish the ATP would speed up hard and grass and slow down clay. Won't happen though so we continue to get athlete-based tennis all year round.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:48 am

I'm not sure anyone in history could have beaten Sampras on that particular day in 1999. Not on that particular court with the rackets of the day anyway.

However things do improve over time and I think if Murray travelled back in time to play Pete Sampras, you would back Murray, at least on a slower court.

I agree with you on speeds and so do many of us but we've been through this before. Not much desire to change.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:57 am

prostaff85 wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/video/epic-becker-v-lendl-1988-masters-final

Had a look at it yesterday on the ATP web site and was surprised how good it still looks compared to today's tennis. Usually matches from 3 decades ago look a lot slower than how we remember them!
Also had a look at the 2005 WTF, just to see how much the game has moved on in the last decade or so:

Masters Cup Final 2005

Would Murray have an easy win against 2005 'Fat Dave'?
I suspect Murray would beat him fairly easily. Let's not forget that an 18 year old Murray took Nalby apart for 2 sets at Wimbledon a few months before that performance and would have beaten him comfortably had his body held up.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:33 pm

The 2006 TMC SF between Fed and Nadal was also a very good one, better than the final that year imo.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Belovedluckyboy wrote:The 2006 TMC SF between Fed and Nadal was also a very good one, better than the final that year imo.

Just had a quick look at highlights of that one.

What an amazing winning point Shocked

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Exactly! Fed was at his best and Nadal was so young and quick. If you've watched the whole match, you will marvel at how quick and how good both were. Nadal was still lacking in his HC game but compensated for that with his speed and power. The court at Shanghai was a quick one too back then; its one of the best BO3 sets match they played on the HCs, another was that Dubai 2006 final, that match Nadal won in three sets.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6