The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Blacks to wear poppies v Italy

+27
emack2
stub
nathan
majesticimperialman
TrailApe
BamBam
Not grey and not a ghost
doctor_grey
ChequeredJersey
theslosty
No 7&1/2
Sin é
demosthenes
Barney McGrew did it
munkian
SecretFly
aucklandlaurie
rodders
tigertattie
marty2086
Pete330v2
Cyril
Geordie
beshocked
rapidsnowman
mikey_dragon
GunsGerms
31 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

All Blacks to wear poppies v Italy - Page 6 Empty All Blacks to wear poppies v Italy

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Nov 2016, 8:55 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11745945

Are we in danger of entering poppy overload? Has it not become a bit excessive and garish? I understand the significance and it is understandable that people want to respect war heroes and yes Dave Gallagher the first AB captain did die in world war one. However, do we really need to mix sport with politics?

It seems that every time I turn on the BBC rugby commentary someone is wearing a poppy. I mean there was a time that only vets wore them now all of a sudden everyone wants in on the act.

Thoughts?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

All Blacks to wear poppies v Italy - Page 6 Empty Re: All Blacks to wear poppies v Italy

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 21 Dec 2016, 10:23 am

I think the take away from all of this is that a lot of people of very precious about symbols and want everyone to feel the same way they do about them by rolling them out at every opportunity and has become excessive.

For me, given the commonality of the poppy in public life it has evolved to represent lots of things including war propaganda now as much as anything else and has become garish and lost its appeal.

In general though while sometimes it has thrown up some great stories such as the 1995 RWC where through sport a country was united I don't really understand the need to mix potentially divisive political imagery with sport.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6