The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November

+61
stub
poissonrouge
Cyril
cakeordeath
LondonTiger
Gooseberry
eirebilly
Mad for Chelsea
englandglory4ever
toml
Barney McGrew did it
MrsP
EST
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
fa0019
Maine man
asoreleftshoulder
Hood83
theslosty
Engine#4
Scottrf
LeinsterFan4life
AFewTooManyKnocks
Heaf
mid_gen
Rugby Fan
Taylorman
clivemcl
emack2
uncle_nigel
profitius
doctor_grey
cascough
ebop
Gwlad
Not grey and not a ghost
majesticimperialman
The Great Aukster
Rory_Gallagher
Pete330v2
geoff999rugby
Big
chewed_mintie
mikey_dragon
Pot Hale
aucklandlaurie
marty2086
lostinwales
GunsGermsV2
brennomac
SecretFly
thebandwagonsociety
wolfball
Geen sport voor watjes
rodders
Golden
the-goon
carpet baboon
rapidsnowman
George Carlin
65 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November - Page 2 Empty Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November

Post by George Carlin Mon 14 Nov - 7:15

First topic message reminder :

Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November - Page 2 Irelan10       Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November - Page 2 All_bl10
IRELAND v NEW ZEALAND
19 November 2016
KO: 17:30
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Live on Sky Sports 2

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Mathieu Raynal (France), Ian Davies (Wales)
Television match official: Jon Mason (Wales)
Assessor: Chris White (England)

A. Head to Head

29 Played 29
1 Won 27
1 Drawn 1
27 Lost 1
310 Points 812

B. Recent Form 

5 November 2016
Soldier Field, Chicago IL
40–29 to Ireland

24 November 2013 
Aviva Stadium, Dublin 
22 – 24 to New Zealand 

23 June 2012 
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton 
60 – 0 to New Zealand 

16 June 2012 
Rugby League Park, Christchurch 
22 – 19 to New Zealand

9 June 2012 
Eden Park, Auckland 
42 – 10 to New Zealand

20 November 2010 
Aviva Stadium, Dublin 
18 – 38 to New Zealand 

C. Teams

IRELAND 
Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November - Page 2 Guinne10
R Kearney; A Trimble, J Payne, R Henshaw, S Zebo; J Sexton, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best, T Furlong; D Toner, D Ryan; CJ Stander, S O'Brien, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, C Healy, F Bealham, I Henderson, J van der Flier, K Marmion, P Jackson, G Ringrose.

NEW ZEALAND
Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November - Page 2 Speigh10
B Smith; I Dagg, M Fekitoa, A Lienert-Brown, J Savea; B Barrett, A Smith; J Moody, D Coles, O Franks; B Retallick, S Whitelock; L Squire, S Can, K Read (capt).

Replacements: C Taylor, W Crockett, C Faumuina, S Barrett, A Savea, TJ Perenara, A Cruden, W Naholo.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 19 Nov - 12:35; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 9:44

Im sure the ABs will put on a show in Dublin and as an Ireland fan Im sure the players will put the effort in as always but cant see us winning. One thing however, that may influence the game is that it is absolutely miserable weather wise here at the moment. Cold and very wet and will probably be the same on Saturday. There was even some sleet earlier.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v New Zealand, 19 November

Post by rodders Thu 17 Nov - 9:46

mikey_dragon wrote:Ireland to chat sh't and get banged in this one.

Who the fook is that guy?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 9:47

Full blown snow in Dublin now.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Thu 17 Nov - 9:54

While the media (rightly) has been focusing on the fact this was Ireland's first win against NZ and those players will go down in history.

The other side of the coin is that those were the first All Blacks (and coach) to have been beaten by Ireland. It happened on their watch. There is going to be a furious backlash.

The only slight glimmer of hope from an Irish perspective is that NZ might want it too much and it might mess with their heads.

The other thing is that Ireland weren't hanging on at the end. They looked at least on a par with NZ.

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 10:06

The ABs were rattled at the end of the game. They were making very uncharacteristic errors and buckling under pressure. Never seen that before in an Ireland game.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Thu 17 Nov - 10:31

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Im sure the ABs will put on a show in Dublin and as an Ireland fan Im sure the players will put the effort in as always but cant see us winning. One thing however, that may influence the game is that it is absolutely miserable weather wise here at the moment. Cold and very wet and will probably be the same on Saturday. There was even some sleet earlier.

Guns, think NZ have some experience of sh1te weather, before they built a new covered stadium in Dunedin playing there was miserable, cold and usually wet. Anyway Weather on the wireless this morning has it cold and dry all weekend. Hansen's gas with the mind games, talking of NZ as underdogs, don't think many underdogs start with a -16 spread with the bookies!

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Nov - 10:40

brennomac wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Im sure the ABs will put on a show in Dublin and as an Ireland fan Im sure the players will put the effort in as always but cant see us winning. One thing however, that may influence the game is that it is absolutely miserable weather wise here at the moment. Cold and very wet and will probably be the same on Saturday. There was even some sleet earlier.

Guns, think NZ have some experience of sh1te weather, before they built a new covered stadium in Dunedin playing there was miserable, cold and usually wet. Anyway Weather on the wireless this morning has it cold and dry all weekend.  Hansen's gas with the mind games, talking of NZ as underdogs, don't think many underdogs start with a -16 spread with the bookies!

And playing in a city you have never lost against a team who haven't been able to beat you in their own backyard before on the back of 1 loss in 17

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 Nov - 10:44

GunsGermsV2 wrote:The ABs were rattled at the end of the game. They were making very uncharacteristic errors and buckling under pressure. Never seen that before in an Ireland game.

I think Joe pulled off a bit of a rope a dope and turned the ABs greatest strength, their self belief against them.

The ABs firmly believe in their ability to come from behind and finish strong, based on past experience they would have been very confident that Ireland would tie up under pressure, sit on the lead and they would be able to pip them in the last 10 min.

What surprised them I think was Ireland continuing to go for the jugular and push for more scores - there was a look of disbelief when Henshaw scored, it just wasn't in the script.

I do think they won't have the same complacency, so we will have to have something different up our sleeves.

That said we don't have the same pressure now the monkey of history is off the back so we could be better too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 17 Nov - 11:05

Very interested in the 2nd row for the AB's this weekend.
That was a palpable weakness in Chicago.

What is also apparent is that, decent player though Cane is he ain't no McCaw.
AB's missing McCaw far more than Carter

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 17 Nov - 11:36

I think the 2nd row will make a huge difference for the ABs, in both the scrum and lineout so we won't get things as easy in those departments on Saturday which is worrying. I still think Ireland can edge this one as long as the squad can maintain the same mentality they brought to Chicago. The weather won't effect the ABs either, they are well used to playing in all conditions.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 11:43

brennomac wrote:

Guns, think NZ have some experience of sh1te weather, before they built a new covered stadium in Dunedin playing there was miserable, cold and usually wet. Anyway Weather on the wireless this morning has it cold and dry all weekend.  Hansen's gas with the mind games, talking of NZ as underdogs, don't think many underdogs start with a -16 spread with the bookies!

No doubt. However, I wasnt suggesting the weather will impact the outcome but rather the type of game played and maybe the scoreline.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 11:44

rodders wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:The ABs were rattled at the end of the game. They were making very uncharacteristic errors and buckling under pressure. Never seen that before in an Ireland game.

I think Joe pulled off a bit of a rope a dope and turned the ABs greatest strength, their self belief against them.

The ABs firmly believe in their ability to come from behind and finish strong, based on past experience they would have been very confident that Ireland would tie up under pressure, sit on the lead and they would be able to pip them in the last 10 min.

What surprised them I think was Ireland continuing to go for the jugular and push for more scores - there was a look of disbelief when Henshaw scored, it just wasn't in the script.

I do think they won't have the same complacency, so we will have to have something different up our sleeves.

That said we don't have the same pressure now the monkey of history is off the back so we could be better too.

Agree completely with all of that.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 12:07

When is the Ireland team announced?

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Thu 17 Nov - 12:11

13:45 i think

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 12:13

Go raibh maith agat.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Thu 17 Nov - 12:14

The BIG question is how do we respond to the haka?  Wink

The number 8 formation was inspired, but what now?

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 12:16

Do nothing Id say. The 8 was a lovely touch but personally I dont think a response is needed really nor should you have to even watch it if you dont want to. If it is cold I think they should do a few lengths of the pitch to warm up.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 12:21

The Ireland team have refused to be announced as they're still pulling straws to see who gets to sit this one out. Long straw - you're in, Short straw - you're out. The Long straw people keeping looking for another go. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 12:25

rapidsnowman wrote:The BIG question is how do we respond to the haka?  Wink

Oh please - I hope not again.  With all due respect to Anthony Foley, the very best that can now happen for the sake of his memory is to let Anthony rest in peace.  We've had enough special moments, let's not over-cook it.

I'd recommend the players just stand in a line.  No need for any extras.  Just a line would be nice - then on with the game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Thu 17 Nov - 12:43

secretfly wrote:I'd recommend the players just stand in a line. No need for any extras. Just a line would be nice - then on with the game.

Yes, with their backs to the haka!

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 12:51

rapidsnowman wrote:
secretfly wrote:I'd recommend the players just stand in a line.  No need for any extras.  Just a line would be nice - then on with the game.

Yes, with their backs to the haka!

No... Wink ...facing it, would be my way. Let's respect them as a team that respected us. It's a bloody rugby game, not an International incident. Cool

I loved that Haka in Chicago. It was the right tone. It was loud and dramatic and it seems it was their most aggressive version. Some ex-AB said it shouldn't have happened, that it was too aggressive a version in light of the Irish remembering Anthony Foley. Then the ABs hit back and said that's the mark of respect to a warrior.

Damn right. Let's face their Haka - suck it in, take energy from it and go into battle.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 Nov - 13:25

Anything but that blade of grass over the shoulder thing BOD did for the Lions. Bad move.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 17 Nov - 13:36

Try pointing and laughing at it, I don't think that's been done before.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Nov - 13:41

mikey_dragon wrote:Try pointing and laughing at it, I don't think that's been done before.  

Seems to work for the SH teams when they see Wales coming Whistle

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 13:43

That is beyond low, marty! That is scurrilous stuff!

Jesus, this place is becoming Trumpifyed - and it ain't pretty!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 17 Nov - 13:51

SecretFly wrote:That is beyond low, marty!  That is scurrilous stuff!

Jesus, this place is becoming Trumpifyed - and it ain't pretty!

Careful Fly - I don't want to have to go to the Off Topic section to talk about this game!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 17 Nov - 13:56

marty2086 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Try pointing and laughing at it, I don't think that's been done before.  

I resent that. Go get trumped!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 14:04

Okay okay folks! Calm down - breathe in and reconnect with your tolerant selves.

Hmmm......................... I'm thinking. Not a lot else to say about this one other than that we're probably going to lose. Any other interesting games on this weekend?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Nov - 14:08

mikey_dragon wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

I resent that. Go get trumped!

Could be worse could get Hillary'd Shocked

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Nov - 14:10

SecretFly wrote:Okay okay folks!  Calm down - breathe in and reconnect with your tolerant selves.

Hmmm......................... I'm thinking.  Not a lot else to say about this one other than that we're probably going to lose.  Any other interesting games on this weekend?

We were saying that two weeks ago too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 14:16

marty2086 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Okay okay folks!  Calm down - breathe in and reconnect with your tolerant selves.

Hmmm......................... I'm thinking.  Not a lot else to say about this one other than that we're probably going to lose.  Any other interesting games on this weekend?

We were saying that two weeks ago too

AND - IT - WORKED! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 14:20

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 70
14. Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) 67
13. Jared Payne (Ulster) 17
12. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 23
11. Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 26
10. Johnny Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster) 62
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 51
1. Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 34
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 98 (c)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 9
4. Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster) 42
5. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 40
6. CJ Stander (Munster) 8
7. Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster) 43
8. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) 89 (v/c)

Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St Mary's College/Leinster) 54
17. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 60
18. Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 4
19. Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 26
20. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 3
21. Kieran Marmion (Galway Corinthians/Connacht) 7
22. Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) 17
23. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Nov - 14:21

SOB? Really? Shocked

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 17 Nov - 14:21

World Rugby have ruled on this issue in the past and dictated that there should never be ANY response to the Haka. The No.8 formation was obviously a special case that hopefully WR were sensitive to and let slide. This weekend normal service will be resumed where Ireland will be expected to stand motionless to accompany an expression of deference and awe at the AB party piece.

Chicago was the only time the ABs have ever performed the Kapa O Pango version against Ireland as it's reserved for opponents they respect, so that was an exceptional tribute to Axel. It will be interesting to see if they use it again in Dublin or revert to their normal Ka Mate (lest Ireland start to get above their station)?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 14:23

No Dillane or POM. More or less as expected though.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 14:23

The Great Aukster wrote:

World Rugby have ruled on this issue in the past and dictated that there should never be ANY response to the Haka. The No.8 formation was obviously a special case that hopefully WR were sensitive to and let slide. This weekend normal service will be resumed where Ireland will be expected to stand motionless to accompany an expression of deference and awe at the AB party piece.

Chicago was the only time the ABs have ever performed the Kapa O Pango version against Ireland as it's reserved for opponents they respect, so that was an exceptional tribute to Axel. It will be interesting to see if they use it again in Dublin or revert to their normal Ka Mate (lest Ireland start to get above their station)?

Im pretty sure it isnt the first time they have performed Kapo O Pango v Ireland.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 17 Nov - 14:25

SOB was further along the fitness trail than POM, but Henderson rather than Dillane is a surprise.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 17 Nov - 14:26

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:

Im pretty sure it isnt the first time they have performed Kapo O Pango v Ireland.

Any idea when?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 14:28

Ali Williams lead one v Ireland. 2009 maybe? Actually just looked it up it was '08 in Croke park. Im pretty sure they have done it on other occasions too.

Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Thu 17 Nov - 14:32; edited 1 time in total

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Nov - 14:30

The Great Aukster wrote:SOB was further along the fitness trail than POM, but Henderson rather than Dillane is a surprise.

Pretty much said last week that if Henderson was fit he would be involved though I expected Dillane or Henderson to start

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 17 Nov - 14:33

The Great Aukster wrote:SOB was further along the fitness trail than POM, but Henderson rather than Dillane is a surprise.

It is an odd one. It must be for some tactical reason.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 14:48

All I want now from O'Brien is to accept that Joe chose him - use the choosing to take the edge off that still-evident inner rage of frustration. You don't have to try to be the absolute hero of the day. It's a team game. Keep a lid on the wild stuff that has frequently gotten you injured or carded. Don't over-reach. Don't lose the cool over something minor. Keep your temper in check and by no means pick up a bloody card.

If you pick up a card, I'd be knocking you bluntly off the Australia game and the damn 6N roster too. Stop fighting your way back into primary spot on the side, play your way back in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 Nov - 15:00

GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Presumably with VDF on the bench covering 7, Hendo gives cover at 6 and an extra line out option at the tail.

Ryan has looked impressive so deserves to retain his place alongside Toner, it's tough on Dillane who's been awesome but he's featured twice and could start against the Wallabies.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu 17 Nov - 15:10

From the press conference, Joe said Dillane, Earls and POM didn't complete training this week due to various levels of injury.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu 17 Nov - 15:19

rodders wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Presumably with VDF on the bench covering 7, Hendo gives cover at 6 and an extra line out option at the tail.

Ryan has looked impressive so deserves to retain his place alongside Toner, it's tough on Dillane who's been awesome but he's featured twice and could start against the Wallabies.

Henderson and SOB are the two players I will be watching closest. Both have seemed over-egged in recent matches, the intensity not controlled enough, and our low penalty count is so important against the ABs. We will also miss VDFs tackle everything attitude (expect Heaslip to play that role more with SOB/Stander carrying). Both are game changers on their day though; if they play well we will be within a score, if not, I think we will struggle.

Rob was always likely to be picked at FB, but I would love to see TOH get a shot for a few matches in the 6 nations (or even Australia)

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Thu 17 Nov - 15:48

In Chicago we gave away only 4 penalties the whole match. I love SOB but he can be a penalty machine and keeping our discipline again is going to be massive. Imagine Joe will have words in his ear about keeping his cool.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 15:50

I assume the starters and then the bench is a design to balance defend + attack as much as possible in the first half when everyone seems to believe the ABs are going to try to win this game in that first half this time.
There is a growing feeling that they stood a little off us last first half because they didn't expect us to be able to stay in the second with the pace they'd add.

So now it might look like a chase game from us in the second, when the ABs might want to settle and defend some of what they might have gained in the first.  Healy, Cronin, VDF, Henderson, Ringrose...guys like that might have the bulk of the winning of this game.  
There are no excess baggage players anymore - the subs are as vital to a game like this as the starters.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Nov - 16:29

SecretFly wrote:I assume the starters and then the bench is a design to balance defend + attack as much as possible in the first half when everyone seems to believe the ABs are going to try to win this game in that first half this time.
There is a growing feeling that they stood a little off us last first half because they didn't expect us to be able to stay in the second with the pace they'd add.

So now it might look like a chase game from us in the second, when the ABs might want to settle and defend some of what they might have gained in the first.  Healy, Cronin, VDF, Henderson, Ringrose...guys like that might have the bulk of the winning of this game.  
There are no excess baggage players anymore - the subs are as vital to a game like this as the starters.

I think Ireland need to use drop goals early on to counter NZ if the opportunity arises it keeps the scoreboard ticking over but gives them something else to think about

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu 17 Nov - 17:48

marty2086 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:I assume the starters and then the bench is a design to balance defend + attack as much as possible in the first half when everyone seems to believe the ABs are going to try to win this game in that first half this time.

I think Ireland need to use drop goals early on to counter NZ if the opportunity arises it keeps the scoreboard ticking over but gives them something else to think about

I really think some team (maybe at province/club level) will start to treat dropgoals seriously as their prime way of scoring. Currently its nearly always either a half hearted attempt because a couple of attacks go no where or a last minute due or die. I could see a team with a 10 with great drop goal skills using their pack to get to just outside the 22 and drop goaling from there. I don't think Ireland or Sexton are that team though.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov - 17:59

Kearney once dropped goals from the halfway line.  

I'm not so sure how important drop goals would be as if we're close enough to be trying to keep in the game or keep ahead by using them then we actually might be playing well enough not to need them.

I'm personally not a fan of drop goals.  I know other people are but I ..... I just don't like the nature of them - something unsporting about them "We can't get in because your defence is too good, but we'll keep tapping in these things anyway to torture you"

All part of the games and by the rules legit - but I've never been a fan in general.  However, if we win the game using one, I'll still accept the result Wink

Last edited by SecretFly on Thu 17 Nov - 19:25; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next