Djokovic: We don't need another Becker

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Djokovic: We don't need another Becker

Post by LuvSports! on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 8:19 pm

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Re: Djokovic: We don't need another Becker

Post by CaledonianCraig on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm

Not particularly a surprise. It had been rumoured as being on the cards for a few months now. The reasons? Who knows?

Is it a partnership which has naturally run its course?

Is it a disagreement between the pair as to the way forward? We do know Novak has brought a guru in and word has it that didn't go down well with Boris.

As I said....who knows?
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 9:11 pm

Could reasonably be any of those explanations CC and like you say, who knows.

Better to look back now at what they achieved together - fairly amazing. The partnership probably turned out way better than either of them dared hope.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 10:02 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Could reasonably be any of those explanations CC and like you say, who knows.

Better to look back now at what they achieved together - fairly amazing. The partnership probably turned out way better than either of them dared hope.

Of course - a great partnership that helped turned Novak into the dominant force in men's tennis.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 12:10 am

No doubt Boris was well rewarded, but he sure proved good value for his money (in contrast to what many of us imagined when first appointed).

Novak owes him a lot. Interesting to see how he gets on without him ........ hard to predict just how things will pan out.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 11:17 am

It's not really a surprise, as others have said it's been hinted at for a while now. Becker certainly accomplished a lot with Djokovic, but since the FO win things haven't been so good. This is probably Djokovic's way of freshening things up a bit to try to get that hunger back. Be interesting to see who he goes for next.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 1:11 pm

Will also be interesting to see whether Boris decides to 'make himself available' for other coaching roles. His CV has of course been hugely enhanced by this spell with Djokovic, and on top of his own stellar playing record it all puts him in a very strong position should he wish to remain directly involved at tour level.

On the other hand, many coaches grow weary of the constant travel and perhaps he will just revert to more low profile stuff, with occasional media work as in the past.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 3:26 pm

From Novak's perspective, the concern I have is the reason for the split. There are suggestions that Becker wasn't overly keen on Pepe Imaz's involvement in the team. If Novak has just decided he wants a fresh look from a tennis coaching perspective, then that may assist. If it's because he feels having his spiritual advisor around is key to success then I'm less sure that's a strong way forwards.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 5:56 pm

Becker looks like he was photo shopped into that BBC picture.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk on Thu 08 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm

interesting to watch the Becker interview which you can get on the sky sports website. He said that himself and novak were very happy with how their partnership worked and they achieved all they wanted to.

It was also interesting to hear becker talk about how selfish you have to be as a tennis player and the pressures it puts on your personal life. He said that since winning the French Open, Djokovic lost motivation and that he spent too little time on the practise court. Novak wanted to spend more time with his family and found it hard to get out on the practise court.

I think we all forget these guys are human and clearly Novak has not been himself since he won the French Open. Perhaps his desire for the game is going now, he has surely achieved more than he ever expected and he now has the career slam. Of course I am sure he would love to have beaten Federers slam record but safe to say that is not going to happen now.

I really hope Novak makes a winning return in 2017 and comes back revitalised but I sense this may be the beginning of the end. It is all down to motivation now and whether he has the desire or even wants to spend hours hitting balls on the practise court. Maybe he has had enough of the grind and now feels guilty he is not home with his family. I guess none of us can answer that.

Time will tell

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Thu 08 Dec 2016, 4:21 pm

Slasher

Some good points - at the very top level of sports it is often about what is going on between the ears rather than whether the body can do what is required.

I think the question for Djokovic now is striking the balance between how much he wants to practice and play and how much success he wants. I'm pretty sure that even when fit, Federer doesn't practice as obsessively as he did a decade ago, but he clearly still enjoys playing and being good enough to compete in the later stages of the big tournaments, even if he is no longer a favourite to win them. Would playing for enjoyment (whether of the game per se of of the competitive elements) and limited success be enough for Djokovic, or can he get back the mindset and motivation to be an absolute monster contender for every tournament he plays?

I think it would be foolish to write Novak off, but there are definitely some question marks that are a big surprise considering where he started 2016...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 3:03 pm

Screw you LS. This headline was such clickbait. I actually paused my music to better read this damn thing that's how much I was anticipating drama.
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 11:25 am

Blame Tina Turner.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: