Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Thu 08 Dec 2016, 5:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

          
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting   (click to show/hide):



http://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
http://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
http://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
http://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
http://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
http://www.606v2.com/t56913-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
http://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii
http://www.606v2.com/t58659-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-viii
http://www.606v2.com/t59409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ix
http://www.606v2.com/t60764-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-x-rated
http://www.606v2.com/t61904-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-xi-the-undiscovered-country
http://www.606v2.com/t62900-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-xii-twelve-monkeys

Guinness Pro12


Edinburgh - Fixtures   (click to show/hide):

Fixtures
11. 26/12/2016 | 16:05 | Edinburgh Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | BT Murrayfield | BBC ALBA
12. 31/12/2016 | TBC | Zebre Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby | Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi | TBC
13. 07/01/2017 | 15:00 | Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby | Myreside | Sky
14. 10/11/12 Feb | TBC | Ulster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby | Kingspan Stadium | TBC
15. 17/18/19 Feb | TBC | Leinster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby | RDS Arena | TBC
16. 24/25/26 Feb | TBC | Edinburgh Rugby v Cardiff Blues | Myreside | TBC
17. 03/04/05 Mar | TBC | Edinburgh Rugby v Ospreys | Myreside | TBC
18. 24/25/26 Mar | TBC | Scarlets v Edinburgh Rugby | Parc y Scarlets | TBC
19. 07/08/09 Apr | TBC | Edinburgh Rugby v Connacht Rugby | Myreside | TBC
20. 15/04/2017 | 20:05 | Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby | Stadio Monigo | TBC
21. 28/29/30 Apr | TBC | Edinburgh Rugby v Newport Gwent Dragons | Myreside | TBC
22. 06/05/2017 | 17:15 | Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Rugby | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC


Youtube playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 action here.

Glasgow Warriors - Fixtures   (click to show/hide):

Fixtures

11. 26/12/2016 | 16:05 | Edinburgh Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | BT Murrayfield | BBC ALBA
12. 31/12/2016 | 14:00 | Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors | Stadio Monigo | TBC/BBC ALBA
13. 07/01/2017 | 19:35 | Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff Blues | Scotstoun Stadium | BBC ALBA/S4C
14. 10/11/12 Feb | TBC | Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC
15. 17/18/19 Feb | TBC | Ulster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | Kingspan Stadium | TBC
16. 24/25/26 Feb | TBC | Ospreys v Glasgow Warriors | Liberty Stadium | TBC
17. 03/04/05 Mar | TBC | Glasgow Warriors v Newport Gwent Dragons | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC
18. 24/25/26 Mar | TBC | Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC
19. 07/08/09 Apr | TBC | Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | Irish Independent Park | TBC
20. 14/04/2017 | 19:35 | Glasgow Warriors v Zebre Rugby | Scotstoun Stadium | BBC ALBA
21. 28/29/30 Apr | TBC | Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | RDS Arena  |  TBC
22. 06/05/2017 | 17:15 | Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Rugby | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC


Youtube playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 action here.

1872 Cup



Champions                Runner up
Edinburgh                  Glasgow Warriors
 

1872 Cup - Past Results   (click to show/hide):

2007–08
28 December 2007, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 35–31 Glasgow Warriors
11 April 2008, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 23–14 Edinburgh
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 54–49

2008–09
26 December 2008, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 39–6 Glasgow Warriors
2 January 2009, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 25–20 Edinburgh
Winner: Edinburgh 59–31

2009–10
27 December 2009, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 25–12 Edinburgh
2 January 2010, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 15–22 Glasgow Warriors
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 47–27

2010–11
27 December 2010, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 30–18 Edinburgh
2 January 2011, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 28–17 Glasgow Warriors
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 47–46

2011–12
26 December 2011, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 23–23 Glasgow Warriors
1 January 2012, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 17–12 Edinburgh
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 40–35

2012–13
21 December 2012, Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 23–14 Edinburgh
29 December 2012, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 17–21 Glasgow Warriors
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 44–31

2013–14
26 December 2013, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 16–20 Glasgow Warriors
26 April 2014, Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 37–34 Edinburgh  (postponed from 1st Jan due to waterlogged pitch)
Winner: Glasgow 57–50

2014–15
27 December 2014, Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 16–6 Edinburgh
2 January 2015, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 20–8 Glasgow Warriors
Winner: Edinburgh 26–24

2015–16
27 December 2015, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 23–11 Glasgow Warriors
2 January 2016, Murrayfield Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 11–14 Edinburgh (moved from Scotstoun due to waterlogged pitch)
Winner: Edinburgh 37–22

Winners tally
Glasgow Warriors - 6
Edinburgh - 3

Some tidying up could be required as I'm no a PC wizz!

PS - Any player from Ayr is not necessarily "World class"


Last edited by tigertattie on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down


Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 10:22 am

Little bit of a worry for Dickinson who seems to be really struggling to regain fitness at this stage in his career.

BigGee

Posts : 4205
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 10:23 am

Plus it's come from the Daily Mail..........an erse wiping rag if ever there was one.

FR has been playing very well recently....especially in the big games where his performances will have stood out.

Nah...it's nothing to do with Cotter being spiteful. It's to do with the bigger clubs have the readies to buy success and hoover up the best players.

Tattie Scones RRN

Posts : 1660
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 41
Location : Scottish Rugby Purgatory

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by funnyExiledScot on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 11:00 am

BigGee wrote:Little bit of a worry for Dickinson who seems to be really struggling to regain fitness at this stage in his career.

Agreed. I don't know what the latest injury is, but he's missing a lot of rugby these days.

Still, with Dell and Sutherland (albeit he's injured at present) at least Edinburgh have two handy SQ back-up options. Dell has become a bit of a find actually. He has good technique for a prop on the lighter side of things, and puts in a real shift in the loose. Similarly to Dickinson at the same stage of his career I'd say, which is promising.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15451
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 11:07 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
BigGee wrote:Little bit of a worry for Dickinson who seems to be really struggling to regain fitness at this stage in his career.

Agreed. I don't know what the latest injury is, but he's missing a lot of rugby these days.

Still, with Dell and Sutherland (albeit he's injured at present) at least Edinburgh have two handy SQ back-up options. Dell has become a bit of a find actually. He has good technique for a prop on the lighter side of things, and puts in a real shift in the loose. Similarly to Dickinson at the same stage of his career I'd say, which is promising.

To be fair it isn't uncommon for someone injured for so long to pick up a niggling injury when he returns, due to a lack of match fitness. Hopefully that's the case and it's not another long term injury.

One person we've completely forgotten about is Nel - if he's to play in the 6N then we really need him back to fitness soon to build up same gametime. Worrying that we've not heard anything from Edinburgh.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22114
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by funnyExiledScot on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 11:16 am

I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15451
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 12:29 pm

if tiny dancer does move on then I'd see weir going back to Glasgow and Edinburgh should look to get Hastings up to start bringing him on. I'm not saying Hastings is ready for a starting slot at 10 for Edinburgh, but I'd happily have Tovey out there while Hastings develops.

Training with the squad and then coming on off the bench this season with a view to him becoming the starting 10 going forward!
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 12:30 pm

tigertattie wrote:if tiny dancer does move on then I'd see weir going back to Glasgow and Edinburgh should look to get Hastings up to start bringing him on. I'm not saying Hastings is ready for a starting slot at 10 for Edinburgh, but I'd happily have Tovey out there while Hastings develops.

Training with the squad and then coming on off the bench this season with a view to him becoming the starting 10 going forward!

Would it not make more sense to sign Hastings for Glasgow?

Not that I don't want rid of Weir...

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22114
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 12:37 pm

Something is going to have to happen for Glasgow at FH for next season. We are dangerously exposed there and an injury to Finn at this point could really end our season.

I would imagine that someone with as shrewd a rugby brain as Dave Rennie will probably have noticed that himself!

Maybe someone will be coming over with him to join us. Some succession planning is definitely required as it is entirely possible that we will lose Finn for good somewhere down the line.

BigGee

Posts : 4205
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by funnyExiledScot on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 12:48 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
tigertattie wrote:if tiny dancer does move on then I'd see weir going back to Glasgow and Edinburgh should look to get Hastings up to start bringing him on. I'm not saying Hastings is ready for a starting slot at 10 for Edinburgh, but I'd happily have Tovey out there while Hastings develops.

Training with the squad and then coming on off the bench this season with a view to him becoming the starting 10 going forward!

Would it not make more sense to sign Hastings for Glasgow?

Not that I don't want rid of Weir...

Shhhhhh! Weir has progressed massively at Edinburgh, and would be a huge asset to Glasgow. I'll be sorry to see him go.....

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15451
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:12 pm

HKC on the transfers thread saying there's talk of Gilchrist going to Gloucester????

Tattie Scones RRN

Posts : 1660
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 41
Location : Scottish Rugby Purgatory

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:19 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:HKC on the transfers thread saying there's talk of Gilchrist going to Gloucester????

Gilchrist is a player that needs to move on, he is stagnating at Edinburgh and really needs a move to re-ignite his career. He should not even be in the Scotland squad at the moment, let alone the team.

BigGee

Posts : 4205
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
tigertattie wrote:if tiny dancer does move on then I'd see weir going back to Glasgow and Edinburgh should look to get Hastings up to start bringing him on. I'm not saying Hastings is ready for a starting slot at 10 for Edinburgh, but I'd happily have Tovey out there while Hastings develops.

Training with the squad and then coming on off the bench this season with a view to him becoming the starting 10 going forward!

Would it not make more sense to sign Hastings for Glasgow?

Not that I don't want rid of Weir...

Shhhhhh! Weir has progressed massively at Edinburgh, and would be a huge asset to Glasgow. I'll be sorry to see him go.....

It's not even a case of getting rid of weir!

If Finn moves on then Weir can return to Glasgow and will be familiar with team to an extent and has played plenty games at 10 at pro level.

Throwing Hastings in at the deep end as the starting 10 for the unwashed next season is taking a huge gamble on the boy being ready and able to make that step up. At least if he goes to Edinburgh he can develop nicely and be gradually introduced to the 10 spot as Edinburgh still have Tovey who is a reliable 10 at this level!
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 3:05 pm

Finn moving would be a disaster for Glasgow, and I also don't think it would be the correct move for him career wise. He is still relatively young and inexperienced. If he stays in Scotland for the next few years he can continue to develop in a supportive environment and with one of the worlds best coaches. When he gets to be 27/28 I think it is inevitable that he will head off, but I really hope we get a few more years of service from him yet - we literally have nobody even remotely comparable in Scotland.

EST

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 3:08 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

I saw Nel (true to his adopted Edinburgh roots, it was in the delicatessen section of the House of Bruar) last weekend. I was really surprised as to how small he is in person.

EST

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by funnyExiledScot on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 3:24 pm

EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

I saw Nel (true to his adopted Edinburgh roots, it was in the delicatessen section of the House of Bruar) last weekend.  I was really surprised as to how small he is in person.

Possibly my favourite place in the whole world.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15451
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by IanBru on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 3:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

I saw Nel (true to his adopted Edinburgh roots, it was in the delicatessen section of the House of Bruar) last weekend.  I was really surprised as to how small he is in person.

Possibly my favourite place in the whole world.
Laugh
Don't ever change, buddy.
avatar
IanBru

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 29
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 3:31 pm

EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

I saw Nel (true to his adopted Edinburgh roots, it was in the delicatessen section of the House of Bruar) last weekend.  I was really surprised as to how small he is in person.

He's tiny eh!

I've seen him a few times taking his kids out and each time I think how I must have been unlucky not to play for Scotland as it looks like I'd easily run through him!

What I think and what can actually be done are two entirely different things though!
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

IanBru wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

I saw Nel (true to his adopted Edinburgh roots, it was in the delicatessen section of the House of Bruar) last weekend.  I was really surprised as to how small he is in person.

Possibly my favourite place in the whole world.
Laugh
Don't ever change, buddy.

A greater accumulation of Range Rovers, landed gentry and mustard corduroys you are unlikely to find. Apart from at Murrayfield on a 6N Saturday perhaps.

EST

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Nematode on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:06 pm

I wonder if Hogg playing at 10 was a message from GT to Russell that Glasgow have options beyond Clegg if he was to leave. Maybe not in the same vein, but similar to when Hogg was dropped for the Pro 12 final?

I would be disappointed with the SRU to see Russell or Seymour go. Edinburgh players (bar Nel, Ford, Watson and Bradbury) have not performed well enough to earn big salaries that you'd expect Gray/Hogg would receive so they shouldn't be losing too much there. Glasgow are a good team, however, while Gray and Hogg are world class, there aren't too many players who should be on huge salaries. In short, I think the SRU should be able to afford to keep both players.

Maybe a bit controversial, but would Russell leaving necessarily be a bad thing for Scottish rugby? Horne is not a bad option at 10 and if Russell freed up a large chunk of cash, surely a half decent 10 from NZ could be lured? For Scottish rugby, if he was to get experience of European semi-finals/Top 14 finals with a Montpellier/Toulon/Saracens size of club, surely that could only benefit the Scottish team? Having a backline with players playing for Clermont, Montpellier, Saracens and Glasgow would be no bad thing surely (as long as the outflow of quality players was managed carefully)? Add to that Nel at a quality team and Richie Gray at Toulouse, the Scotland team could have a lot of quality experience.

Nematode

Posts : 1681
Join date : 2014-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:11 pm

Trouble with that tode, is I don't think there are any French teams with a better backline than Glasgow - same possibly even in England.

Playing behind a better pack would be beneficial however.....

Tattie Scones RRN

Posts : 1660
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 41
Location : Scottish Rugby Purgatory

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by nickj on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

I'd be bloody disappointed to see Finn go at this stage. If we're brutally honest, he's only really had a few top notch games this season and while he's a cracking talent, he's certainly not shown the sustained consistency he needs to start breaking transfer records. I hope he sticks around for the remaining year on his contract as a minimum. Seymour is a slightly different prospect at 28; having consistently perfomed at a high standard for a number of seasons. I dearly hope he stays, but he's the age and level of player I'd imagine Dodson et al see moving on to make room for the next generation. Them's the breaks for SRU backed development squads.

nickj

Posts : 1037
Join date : 2011-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by jimbopip on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:27 pm

It's really the antithesis of Matt Williams' Fortress Murrayfield philosophy.
Although I could see his logic in wanting the best Scotland players actually playing in Scotland I always felt that with only two professional sides that meant that we were in effect limiting our choice, come international weekends, to two players in most positions. In an ideal world we could have two international class scrum halves playing at The Library and The Home Of The Once And Future Champions AND another couple playing in the Jeff/T14.  That's the sort of position we want to be in, not Froddo then Henners then All 1 Price (a young prospect with very little game time ).Despite the fact that young Mr Price is probably the form 9 at the moment. He was probably too inexperienced when first drafted in to the squad
So, from a Scotland point of view we want players to move on IF that means youngsters get the chance to step up and develop into future internationals. What we don't want is Bane replaced by a NSQ player, "Hi fellas my names Bryce and I'm Jarrod's sponsor at Pie-Eaters Anonymous. I can prop on the loose or the tight head. " or Dancer replaced by Rubicon Te Rure.

jimbopip

Posts : 3774
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by R!skysports on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:33 pm

As a funny coincident as I was reading this, my mate at work came over to discuss how well Jackson is playing just now at 10 for Harlequins


R!skysports

Posts : 3342
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:39 pm

tigertattie wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

I saw Nel (true to his adopted Edinburgh roots, it was in the delicatessen section of the House of Bruar) last weekend.  I was really surprised as to how small he is in person.

He's tiny eh!

I've seen him a few times taking his kids out and each time I think how I must have been unlucky not to play for Scotland as it looks like I'd easily run through him!

What I think and what can actually be done are two entirely different things though!

I actually convinced myself it wasn't him when I first saw him - he is literally about half the size I expected, but his heavily cauliflower-ed ears and Scotland trackies kinda gave the game away. He must have unbelievable technique to deal with the LH monsters he comes up against.

EST

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:44 pm

EST wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

I saw Nel (true to his adopted Edinburgh roots, it was in the delicatessen section of the House of Bruar) last weekend.  I was really surprised as to how small he is in person.

He's tiny eh!

I've seen him a few times taking his kids out and each time I think how I must have been unlucky not to play for Scotland as it looks like I'd easily run through him!

What I think and what can actually be done are two entirely different things though!

I actually convinced myself it wasn't him when I first saw him - he is literally about half the size I expected, but his heavily cauliflower-ed ears and Scotland trackies kinda gave the game away.  He must have unbelievable technique to deal with the LH monsters he comes up against.

He's almost 19 stone apparently according to his stats, which is still a decent size for an international tighthead (if it's correct). He does look small though!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22114
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by bsando on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:49 pm

I think Russell moving to a big club like Montpelier or Bath would be great for his overall game. However, it would be a shame for Glasgow to lose such a brilliant talent. Still, i was super concerned after Matawalu, Maitland and DTH left and to be fair Glasgow did really well and had a strong season afterwards and have now improved more. If Seymour, russell and maybe others leave end of season I'd still be confident in Rennie attracting some big signings, especially if Glasgow make it further into the champions cup.
avatar
bsando

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 29
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EST wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, and we've really missed Nel. His scrum penalties were a handy source of points/territory, not to mention his knack of scoring tries from close range (or even long range).

Berghan is very much a work in promise, as is Murray McCallum. Both can be targeted by more experienced looseheads and, without a platform, we don't have anything like the backline to compensate. I'm confident that McCallum will progress, but he'd be well behind Fagerson at this stage of his career. Plenty time to catch-up though.

I saw Nel (true to his adopted Edinburgh roots, it was in the delicatessen section of the House of Bruar) last weekend.  I was really surprised as to how small he is in person.

He's tiny eh!

I've seen him a few times taking his kids out and each time I think how I must have been unlucky not to play for Scotland as it looks like I'd easily run through him!

What I think and what can actually be done are two entirely different things though!

I actually convinced myself it wasn't him when I first saw him - he is literally about half the size I expected, but his heavily cauliflower-ed ears and Scotland trackies kinda gave the game away.  He must have unbelievable technique to deal with the LH monsters he comes up against.

He's almost 19 stone apparently according to his stats, which is still a decent size for an international tighthead (if it's correct). He does look small though!

He could have lost some weight since his injury, but right now I would find it very difficult to believe he is 19st. Regardless, he is a bloody great prop and one I can't help feeling we need over the 6N.

EST

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 4:57 pm


Tattie Scones RRN

Posts : 1660
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 41
Location : Scottish Rugby Purgatory

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 5:02 pm

It's almost as if Tom English reads our forum for gossip!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22114
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 6:26 pm

As I said earlier, the SRU will not let FR go early unless he has some silly clause in his contract that allows it and you know, I really would hope that the player would have the respect to honour his contract anyway. Glasgow took a punt on him and believed in him, to the point of letting other more established players (Jackson) go for him.

Next year is a different ball game though and they really will have to put some package together to keep him. Maybe some private money might be forthcoming by then, the logic of what Dobbo was trying to sell at the EGM is now starting to make even more sense.

The three Glasgow players that they have to try and hold on to if they are going to attempt to play with the big boys are Hoggy, Finn and Johnny. The rest are to some extent replaceable. They are the spine of the team and the SRU poster boys to boot.

At the moment it is a case of one down, two to go!

BigGee

Posts : 4205
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by MacKnocked-on on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 6:53 pm

BigGee wrote:As I said earlier, the SRU will not let FR go early unless he has some silly clause in his contract that allows it and you know, I really would hope that the player would have the respect to honour his contract anyway. Glasgow took a punt on him and believed in him, to the point of letting other more established players (Jackson) go for him.

Next year is a different ball game though and they really will have to put some package together to keep him. Maybe some private money might be forthcoming by then, the logic of what Dobbo was trying to sell at the EGM is now starting to make even more sense.

The three Glasgow players that they have to try and hold on to if they are going to attempt to play with the big boys are Hoggy, Finn and Johnny. The rest are to some extent replaceable. They are the spine of the team and the SRU poster boys to boot.

At the moment it is a case of one down, two to go!

I'd probably include Dunbar in that short list of vital players, also if Huw Jones is on the radar then he'll need a pretty big contract also. If only that Euro Millions couple down in Largs wanted to spend their cash on a rugby team instead of a political party..

MacKnocked-on

Posts : 1252
Join date : 2012-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 8:15 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38524689

So it looks like Seymour, Horne and Swinson to stay but Josh Strauss might be the one to miss out.

Of the three of them, Tommy S will have been the one to have been attracting the big money offers from elsewhere, so they will have done very well to have tied him down. The other 2 won't be cheap either but will be money well spent.

I am torn about JS. I can understand the logic in letting him go, he will be one of the higher earners and is probably at or just past his peak as a player just now. He has brought so much to the club in the time he has been here though and will undoubtedly be missed. Then again though, it opens up a place for the youngsters to come through.

Still a few more to go though. After tying these ones up can we really afford to hold on to Bennett and Dunbar?

BigGee

Posts : 4205
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 9:05 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett will leave - he's no longer a guaranteed starter for Glasgow or Scotland and may want a change at this stage of his career (like Matt Scott). Again I hope he goes to a top team.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22114
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 9:11 am

You better hope so as Bennett and Dunbar are twice the player Swinson is and four times the player Horne is!
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EWT Spoons on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 9:25 am

I'm sure i heard somewhere (might have been here) that Clermont were looking at Bennett again and he was interested in going back to prove himself.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 2261
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by R!skysports on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

I actually like a few of our player travelling, they just need to go to places that they get regular starts - I think

Is there a thread for the next matches ?

R!skysports

Posts : 3342
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 9:39 am

Riskysports wrote:

Is there a thread for the next matches ?

Well volunteered!

Edinburgh don't have a game this weekend (not that you would care anyway....)

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22114
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 9:39 am

Riskysports wrote:I actually like a few of our player travelling, they just need to go to places that they get regular starts - I think

Is there a thread for the next matches ?

well done for volunteering:kiss:
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by R!skysports on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 9:47 am

tigertattie wrote:
Riskysports wrote:I actually like a few of our player travelling, they just need to go to places that they get regular starts - I think

Is there a thread for the next matches ?

well done for volunteering:kiss:  

You do not know what you have let yourself in for

(By that I mean a poor imitation of a good thread :-) )

R!skysports

Posts : 3342
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by R!skysports on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 9:57 am


R!skysports

Posts : 3342
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 2:29 pm

what about one for Edinburgh?
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 2:30 pm

We aren't playing this week - our game against Munster has been rescheduled due to the Racing game being postponed.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22114
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:03 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:We aren't playing this week - our game against Munster has been rescheduled due to the Racing game being postponed.

ahhhhhhhhh

shows how much I've been paying attention recently!
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:37 pm

we can always just assume we've lost anyway, just to keep up with normal service?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Posts : 993
Join date : 2013-11-07
Age : 31
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by funnyExiledScot on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:39 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:we can always just assume we've lost anyway, just to keep up with normal service?

I'm a champagne glass half full kind of guy. I predict we will be unbeaten this weekend.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15451
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm

Too many unbeaten weekends like that and the SRU will award Hodge a new 35 year contract

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Posts : 993
Join date : 2013-11-07
Age : 31
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by IanBru on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:49 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:we can always just assume we've lost anyway, just to keep up with normal service?

I'm a champagne glass half full kind of guy. I predict we will be unbeaten this weekend.
Like how we're the reigning Five Nations champions? As much as I know it's a joke, I do still take a perverse pride in the fact!

Interestingly, I was looking back at our try-scoring stats for last year, and with eleven tries scored we had our most prolific championship since... you guessed it... 1999!
avatar
IanBru

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 29
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by R!skysports on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:56 pm


R!skysports

Posts : 3342
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 4:08 pm


Best.Thread.Ever
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4568
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by R!skysports on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 4:22 pm

tigertattie wrote:

Best.Thread.Ever

Thank you

Added the team now

R!skysports

Posts : 3342
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum