Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Thu 08 Dec 2016, 5:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

          
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting   (click to show/hide):



http://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
http://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
http://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
http://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
http://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
http://www.606v2.com/t56913-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
http://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii
http://www.606v2.com/t58659-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-viii
http://www.606v2.com/t59409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ix
http://www.606v2.com/t60764-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-x-rated
http://www.606v2.com/t61904-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-xi-the-undiscovered-country
http://www.606v2.com/t62900-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-xii-twelve-monkeys

Guinness Pro12


Edinburgh - Fixtures   (click to show/hide):

Fixtures
11. 26/12/2016 | 16:05 | Edinburgh Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | BT Murrayfield | BBC ALBA
12. 31/12/2016 | TBC | Zebre Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby | Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi | TBC
13. 07/01/2017 | 15:00 | Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby | Myreside | Sky
14. 10/11/12 Feb | TBC | Ulster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby | Kingspan Stadium | TBC
15. 17/18/19 Feb | TBC | Leinster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby | RDS Arena | TBC
16. 24/25/26 Feb | TBC | Edinburgh Rugby v Cardiff Blues | Myreside | TBC
17. 03/04/05 Mar | TBC | Edinburgh Rugby v Ospreys | Myreside | TBC
18. 24/25/26 Mar | TBC | Scarlets v Edinburgh Rugby | Parc y Scarlets | TBC
19. 07/08/09 Apr | TBC | Edinburgh Rugby v Connacht Rugby | Myreside | TBC
20. 15/04/2017 | 20:05 | Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby | Stadio Monigo | TBC
21. 28/29/30 Apr | TBC | Edinburgh Rugby v Newport Gwent Dragons | Myreside | TBC
22. 06/05/2017 | 17:15 | Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Rugby | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC


Youtube playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 action here.

Glasgow Warriors - Fixtures   (click to show/hide):

Fixtures

11. 26/12/2016 | 16:05 | Edinburgh Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | BT Murrayfield | BBC ALBA
12. 31/12/2016 | 14:00 | Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors | Stadio Monigo | TBC/BBC ALBA
13. 07/01/2017 | 19:35 | Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff Blues | Scotstoun Stadium | BBC ALBA/S4C
14. 10/11/12 Feb | TBC | Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC
15. 17/18/19 Feb | TBC | Ulster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | Kingspan Stadium | TBC
16. 24/25/26 Feb | TBC | Ospreys v Glasgow Warriors | Liberty Stadium | TBC
17. 03/04/05 Mar | TBC | Glasgow Warriors v Newport Gwent Dragons | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC
18. 24/25/26 Mar | TBC | Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC
19. 07/08/09 Apr | TBC | Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | Irish Independent Park | TBC
20. 14/04/2017 | 19:35 | Glasgow Warriors v Zebre Rugby | Scotstoun Stadium | BBC ALBA
21. 28/29/30 Apr | TBC | Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors | RDS Arena  |  TBC
22. 06/05/2017 | 17:15 | Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Rugby | Scotstoun Stadium | TBC


Youtube playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 action here.

1872 Cup



Champions                Runner up
Edinburgh                  Glasgow Warriors
 

1872 Cup - Past Results   (click to show/hide):

2007–08
28 December 2007, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 35–31 Glasgow Warriors
11 April 2008, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 23–14 Edinburgh
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 54–49

2008–09
26 December 2008, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 39–6 Glasgow Warriors
2 January 2009, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 25–20 Edinburgh
Winner: Edinburgh 59–31

2009–10
27 December 2009, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 25–12 Edinburgh
2 January 2010, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 15–22 Glasgow Warriors
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 47–27

2010–11
27 December 2010, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 30–18 Edinburgh
2 January 2011, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 28–17 Glasgow Warriors
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 47–46

2011–12
26 December 2011, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 23–23 Glasgow Warriors
1 January 2012, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 17–12 Edinburgh
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 40–35

2012–13
21 December 2012, Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 23–14 Edinburgh
29 December 2012, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 17–21 Glasgow Warriors
Winner: Glasgow Warriors 44–31

2013–14
26 December 2013, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 16–20 Glasgow Warriors
26 April 2014, Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 37–34 Edinburgh  (postponed from 1st Jan due to waterlogged pitch)
Winner: Glasgow 57–50

2014–15
27 December 2014, Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 16–6 Edinburgh
2 January 2015, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 20–8 Glasgow Warriors
Winner: Edinburgh 26–24

2015–16
27 December 2015, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 23–11 Glasgow Warriors
2 January 2016, Murrayfield Stadium, Glasgow Warriors 11–14 Edinburgh (moved from Scotstoun due to waterlogged pitch)
Winner: Edinburgh 37–22

Winners tally
Glasgow Warriors - 6
Edinburgh - 3

Some tidying up could be required as I'm no a PC wizz!

PS - Any player from Ayr is not necessarily "World class"


Last edited by tigertattie on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4001
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down


Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by nickj on Wed 11 Jan 2017, 11:53 am

Nice one, Kebble was mentioned a few months ago. https://g.co/kgs/3Pjt0L. He looks like a unit.

nickj

Posts : 942
Join date : 2011-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Hazel Sapling on Wed 11 Jan 2017, 11:55 am

I think Rae is good enough to be a number 2 TH but we are lacking a number 3 in that situation (assuming Firth continues to be a myth). I would have thought Kebble had offers from France and would not want to be a number 2 behind Fagerson.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 809
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by George Carlin on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 6:10 am

cakeordeath wrote:I was half expecting the Warriors to appeal Big Brian's ban, but it seems that won't be the case
Warriors have just announced that they are appealing it. 

Fingers crossed that they can knock a week off it so that the bigfeller is available for the last European game.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13274
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by SirBurger on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 7:40 am

Gordon Reid to Irish. The evidence being that he has just started following us on twitter. Not all that compelling but he is out of contract and we do need a loosehead.

SirBurger

Posts : 1017
Join date : 2011-11-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 8:44 am

SirBurger wrote:Gordon Reid to Irish. The evidence being that he has just started following us on twitter. Not all that compelling but he is out of contract and we do need a loosehead.

Would be a shame for Glasgow to lose Reid - who is a big personality in the squad and clearly cares greatly about playing for Glasgow - but if he isn't going to be offered a renewal (and I'm not sure why as Glasgow aren't overflowing with looseheads) then this could be a good move. As long as LI get promoted!


RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 19942
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 8:50 am

If Gordon Reid moves on, I would be sad to see him go but not unduly concerned. Looshead is a position of relative weakness at the club and I would hope the new management team would want to bring in somebody, there is also Djustice who I think could be a bit of a rough diamond.

EST

Posts : 699
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by funnyExiledScot on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 9:10 am

Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15080
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by SirBurger on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 9:14 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

Glasgow may well want to keep him, but often props at this stage of their career want a three year contract, as opposed to two. Might mean that we can tempt him down south (similar to what we did with Tom Court, who Ulster only offered two years to).

SirBurger

Posts : 1017
Join date : 2011-11-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by funnyExiledScot on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 9:22 am

SirBurger wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

Glasgow may well want to keep him, but often props at this stage of their career want a three year contract, as opposed to two. Might mean that we can tempt him down south (similar to what we did with Tom Court, who Ulster only offered two years to).

I'm certain LI will be able to offer better terms, both in length of contract and dosh. I also think the departure of Townsend will be a catalyst for a number of players to take more money elsewhere. I can see the sense from his perspective, but I still think Glasgow should make him a offer to tempt him to stay.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15080
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:38 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

I see your point fES, however in the case of Reid I think the qualities you mention are outweighed by him being a very average prop. He holds his own, but he isn't destructive in the loose, or a particularly strong scrummager. Also, he has the most annoying habit of picking up the ball when he is joined to the ruck, and getting pinged for it. It happens at about a rate of 1 every two games, totally infuriates me.

I don't know why I think this about the Canadian lad, but I think he could be moulded into a better player than Reid.

EST

Posts : 699
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Hazel Sapling on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:44 am

EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

I see your point fES, however in the case of Reid I think the qualities you mention are outweighed by him being a very average prop.  He holds his own, but he isn't destructive in the loose, or a particularly strong scrummager.  Also, he has the most annoying habit of picking up the ball when he is joined to the ruck, and getting pinged for it.  It happens at about a rate of 1 every two games, totally infuriates me.

I don't know why I think this about the Canadian lad, but I think he could be moulded into a better player than Reid.

Reid should be kept as a club man. Like Harley, he will work hard and get a few caps for Scotland. Otherwise he sets the tone for Glasgow and will always be up for a brawl. I think Allan should pass him as number 1 and maybe Djustice can pass him for number 2 in the future but Djustice is not there yet and may never make it. There is not a real 3rd option for Glasgow at the moment (the academy prop Bhatti is a good 4th choice for now) who can fill in if Reid goes and I would rather pay Reid a bit more than bringing in a journeyman foreigner which I assume is the limit of the investment that can be made.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 809
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by SirBurger on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:45 am

EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

I see your point fES, however in the case of Reid I think the qualities you mention are outweighed by him being a very average prop.  He holds his own, but he isn't destructive in the loose, or a particularly strong scrummager.  Also, he has the most annoying habit of picking up the ball when he is joined to the ruck, and getting pinged for it.  It happens at about a rate of 1 every two games, totally infuriates me.

I don't know why I think this about the Canadian lad, but I think he could be moulded into a better player than Reid.

Sounds incredibly infuriating and the sort of thing that would really frustrate me. I think, if he does come to Irish, it will be to back up our two very young and promising props Smallbone and Hobbs-Awoyemi, both of whom we are expecting big things from.

SirBurger

Posts : 1017
Join date : 2011-11-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:05 am

SirBurger wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

I see your point fES, however in the case of Reid I think the qualities you mention are outweighed by him being a very average prop.  He holds his own, but he isn't destructive in the loose, or a particularly strong scrummager.  Also, he has the most annoying habit of picking up the ball when he is joined to the ruck, and getting pinged for it.  It happens at about a rate of 1 every two games, totally infuriates me.

I don't know why I think this about the Canadian lad, but I think he could be moulded into a better player than Reid.

Sounds incredibly infuriating and the sort of thing that would really frustrate me. I think, if he does come to Irish, it will be to back up our two very young and promising props Smallbone and Hobbs-Awoyemi, both of whom we are expecting big things from.

Yeah, annoys the hell out of me. Like I say, he holds his own very competently at club level, but I think its an area Glasgow should target improvement in.

EST

Posts : 699
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:23 am

It may be as well that we can't afford to keep him either. You would assume he would be looking for a bigger contract this time around bearing in mind that he is established now and an international. With some of the contracts that we are splashing out on just now, something may have to give.

We have not seen a lot of DJD yet, so hard to say if he is going to be up to it or not. Hopefully he will get his chances in the international season that will be coming up soon. Alternatively you would wonder if Rennie has got someone ear marked to come over with him.

This is all speculation atm of course. I think just about the only certainty regarding LHs is that Grant will be moving on. The fact that they did not want him to go before the end of the season does not suggest that there is a lot of confidence in the rest of the current squad players in any case!

BigGee

Posts : 3427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by IanBru on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:25 am

EST wrote:
SirBurger wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

I see your point fES, however in the case of Reid I think the qualities you mention are outweighed by him being a very average prop.  He holds his own, but he isn't destructive in the loose, or a particularly strong scrummager.  Also, he has the most annoying habit of picking up the ball when he is joined to the ruck, and getting pinged for it.  It happens at about a rate of 1 every two games, totally infuriates me.

I don't know why I think this about the Canadian lad, but I think he could be moulded into a better player than Reid.

Sounds incredibly infuriating and the sort of thing that would really frustrate me. I think, if he does come to Irish, it will be to back up our two very young and promising props Smallbone and Hobbs-Awoyemi, both of whom we are expecting big things from.

Yeah, annoys the hell out of me.  Like I say, he holds his own very competently at club level, but I think its an area Glasgow should target improvement in.
I understand the frustration when it doesn't work, but this is a well-known Glasgow trick move used on a number of occasions - known as 'the Gordie' as I recall (after he did it against Dragons in early 2013, running in to score from 30 yards out), with a man posing as a guard at a ruck but not actually being bound, then picking up the ball from between his legs. It's perfectly legal, and only really gets pinged if the referee doesn't know the rule or judges (correctly or incorrectly) that the player is bound. Pete Horne scored against Australia in that exact way, and Sarto against Leicester.

I honestly can't see Reid leaving Glasgow - he's a Kellock-esque player who lives and breathes for the club.
avatar
IanBru

Posts : 2575
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 28
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EST on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:37 am

IanBru wrote:
EST wrote:
SirBurger wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

I see your point fES, however in the case of Reid I think the qualities you mention are outweighed by him being a very average prop.  He holds his own, but he isn't destructive in the loose, or a particularly strong scrummager.  Also, he has the most annoying habit of picking up the ball when he is joined to the ruck, and getting pinged for it.  It happens at about a rate of 1 every two games, totally infuriates me.

I don't know why I think this about the Canadian lad, but I think he could be moulded into a better player than Reid.

Sounds incredibly infuriating and the sort of thing that would really frustrate me. I think, if he does come to Irish, it will be to back up our two very young and promising props Smallbone and Hobbs-Awoyemi, both of whom we are expecting big things from.

Yeah, annoys the hell out of me.  Like I say, he holds his own very competently at club level, but I think its an area Glasgow should target improvement in.
I understand the frustration when it doesn't work, but this is a well-known Glasgow trick move used on a number of occasions - known as 'the Gordie' as I recall (after he did it against Dragons in early 2013, running in to score from 30 yards out), with a man posing as a guard at a ruck but not actually being bound, then picking up the ball from between his legs. It's perfectly legal, and only really gets pinged if the referee doesn't know the rule or judges (correctly or incorrectly) that the player is bound. Pete Horne scored against Australia in that exact way, and Sarto against Leicester.

I honestly can't see Reid leaving Glasgow - he's a Kellock-esque player who lives and breathes for the club.

Yeah, I remember that game and the try. Unfortunately, he now tries to repeat it constantly. It's one of those things I suppose, get it right and you're away, but it's pretty high risk and more often than not it doesn't work. I don't mind the concept, just the execution. Actually, now that I think about it - did he not try it in a recent international?

EST

Posts : 699
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Hazel Sapling on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:45 am

EST wrote:
IanBru wrote:
EST wrote:
SirBurger wrote:
EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow should keep Reid. He lives and breathes the club. Glasgow make a big deal about team spirit, club ethos and all that jazz, and it has worked well for them. Players like Reid, who connect with the fans, are crucial in that. He's a pretty average player, but does a job in the Pro12. I'd argue Glasgow should look for better in the 1st XV, but he's a very handy back-up player.

I see your point fES, however in the case of Reid I think the qualities you mention are outweighed by him being a very average prop.  He holds his own, but he isn't destructive in the loose, or a particularly strong scrummager.  Also, he has the most annoying habit of picking up the ball when he is joined to the ruck, and getting pinged for it.  It happens at about a rate of 1 every two games, totally infuriates me.

I don't know why I think this about the Canadian lad, but I think he could be moulded into a better player than Reid.

Sounds incredibly infuriating and the sort of thing that would really frustrate me. I think, if he does come to Irish, it will be to back up our two very young and promising props Smallbone and Hobbs-Awoyemi, both of whom we are expecting big things from.

Yeah, annoys the hell out of me.  Like I say, he holds his own very competently at club level, but I think its an area Glasgow should target improvement in.
I understand the frustration when it doesn't work, but this is a well-known Glasgow trick move used on a number of occasions - known as 'the Gordie' as I recall (after he did it against Dragons in early 2013, running in to score from 30 yards out), with a man posing as a guard at a ruck but not actually being bound, then picking up the ball from between his legs. It's perfectly legal, and only really gets pinged if the referee doesn't know the rule or judges (correctly or incorrectly) that the player is bound. Pete Horne scored against Australia in that exact way, and Sarto against Leicester.

I honestly can't see Reid leaving Glasgow - he's a Kellock-esque player who lives and breathes for the club.

Yeah, I remember that game and the try.  Unfortunately, he now tries to repeat it constantly.  It's one of those things I suppose, get it right and you're away, but it's pretty high risk and more often than not it doesn't work.  I don't mind the concept, just the execution.  Actually, now that I think about it - did he not try it in a recent international?

Yeah I think he came in against Australia and got pinged for it. Trying to make something happen in Scotland's half.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 809
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:09 pm

I've just looked at the online ticket sales for the game at Myreside next weekend and there's a lot of empty seats still.

Edinburgh are pushing to #FillMyreside but by the look of things they'll be lucky if they break the 3k mark!

The entire North Stand is unavailable so I suspect this will be a load of freebie tickets for residents and school kids.

They say the capacity will be over 6k but looking at the size of the stands I'm not convinced how. Also, un-sheltered standing is the same price as unreserved sheltered seating - how is that fair??

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 19942
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:21 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I've just looked at the online ticket sales for the game at Myreside next weekend and there's a lot of empty seats still.

Edinburgh are pushing to #FillMyreside but by the look of things they'll be lucky if they break the 3k mark!

The entire North Stand is unavailable so I suspect this will be a load of freebie tickets for residents and school kids.

They say the capacity will be over 6k but looking at the size of the stands I'm not convinced how. Also, un-sheltered standing is the same price as unreserved sheltered seating - how is that fair??

Its not exactly an exciting game to be selling against the Romanians, is it?

About all that can be said about it is that Edinburgh are likely to win and score a few tries.

It is not going to be a quality match though.

BigGee

Posts : 3427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EWT Spoons on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:21 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I've just looked at the online ticket sales for the game at Myreside next weekend and there's a lot of empty seats still.

Edinburgh are pushing to #FillMyreside but by the look of things they'll be lucky if they break the 3k mark!

The entire North Stand is unavailable so I suspect this will be a load of freebie tickets for residents and school kids.

They say the capacity will be over 6k but looking at the size of the stands I'm not convinced how. Also, un-sheltered standing is the same price as unreserved sheltered seating - how is that fair??

I guess it's probably not the best game to start with, Timmisora Saracens are hardly a big draw, also 3k is probably about average at the moment for Edinburgh games.

With regards to the price they're just following the same pricing structure at MF, given the price is the same whether you stand or sit. I get it's unsheltered but that might be something that changes next year in terms of pricing or if it's sheltered. Problem with moving through the season is that everyone has paid for their season tickets and some may want to stand, whilst others may want to sit, so trying to credit/debit customers based on what they wanted would probably be a logistical nightmare...at least from SRU standards.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:25 pm

The first game at Myreside was due to be against Munster, which may have stood a chance of achieving #FillMyreside as we usually get a big contingent of Munster fans at Edinburgh games (loads of fecking Irish in Edinburgh).

That game has obviously been rescheduled now so they've not had much choice really.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 19942
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EWT Spoons on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:27 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:The first game at Myreside was due to be against Munster, which may have stood a chance of achieving #FillMyreside as we usually get a big contingent of Munster fans at Edinburgh games (loads of fecking Irish in Edinburgh).

That game has obviously been rescheduled now so they've not had much choice really.

It's actually worked out pretty well in some regards as the munster game is now the night before the Ireland game, could be a sell out.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:27 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:The first game at Myreside was due to be against Munster, which may have stood a chance of achieving #FillMyreside as we usually get a big contingent of Munster fans at Edinburgh games (loads of fecking Irish in Edinburgh).

That game has obviously been rescheduled now so they've not had much choice really.

Playing Munster, you might have filled the place up but would probably have lost, so bit of a double edged sword.

Probably more chance of giving them a game in the international window than when they have their full team out.

BigGee

Posts : 3427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by jimbopip on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:29 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I've just looked at the online ticket sales for the game at Myreside next weekend and there's a lot of empty seats still.

Edinburgh are pushing to #FillMyreside but by the look of things they'll be lucky if they break the 3k mark!


I just know Bru will be wetting himself at the thought of that. Laugh

jimbopip

Posts : 3235
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by cakeordeath on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:33 pm

Nel off for an HIA. Sounds as if we was going pretty well until then

cakeordeath

Posts : 1829
Join date : 2012-11-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

Edinburgh doing well by all accounts - leading 10-3 and quins down to 14

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 19942
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by George Carlin on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:49 pm

6-13 to the Liberace Appreciation Society
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13274
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm

Well Leicester capitulated against Racing and go out of the competition with their tails between their legs.

Glasgow should go through if they win, simple as that.

Can Glasgow get their heads around that and play well enough to win, they are capable of it, but wobbled under pressure today.

Will Leicester turn up for a meaningless game for them, what kind of team will they put out?

BigGee

Posts : 3427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by cakeordeath on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 9:58 pm

I ended up not watching the game, as I was going out for dinner with some friends and didn't want to spoil my appetite if Glasgow lost. Sounds as if it was a hard fought, but fair game.

Were there any injuries?

cakeordeath

Posts : 1829
Join date : 2012-11-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by GLove39 on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm

Looking at the pool tables & assuming Edinburgh get a bonus point win over Timisoara Saracens they'll book themselves a home quarter final!

GLove39

Posts : 3765
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23
Location : Aberdeen

http://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:22 pm

GLove39 wrote:Looking at the pool tables & assuming Edinburgh get a bonus point win over Timisoara Saracens they'll book themselves a home quarter final!

And if the draw is kind we'll get a home semi final which will lead to a home final!

Edinburgh have no chance of getting in the Top 6 so we might as well concentrate on trying to win something.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 19942
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:23 pm

cakeordeath wrote:I ended up not watching the game, as I was going out for dinner with some friends and didn't want to spoil my appetite if Glasgow lost. Sounds as if it was a hard fought, but fair game.

Were there any injuries?

Nothing obvious.

Strauss hobbled off at around 60 mins, but it looked more like cramp. He had a very good game prior to that.

Our lack of subs cost us in this game. The front row played on longer than they should have and three players were left on the bench. That (along with the inexplicable decision not to go for the DG) may have been the difference between winning and losing, we really had no impact from the bench wheras they brought on a match winner.

Our best XV are a very handy bunch, but the squad as a whole at Glasgow still needs some work. We could end up in the same boat again during the international window.

BigGee

Posts : 3427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Welsh Magician on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:46 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
GLove39 wrote:Looking at the pool tables & assuming Edinburgh get a bonus point win over Timisoara Saracens they'll book themselves a home quarter final!

And if the draw is kind we'll get a home semi final which will lead to a home final!

Edinburgh have no chance of getting in the Top 6 so we might as well concentrate on trying to win something.
I don't think Edinburgh can get a home semi final, they would likely travel to Ospreys in the semi final.

Welsh Magician

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by RDW_Scotland on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:48 pm

Are the semi finals not determined by a draw of the knockout stages?

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 19942
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Welsh Magician on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Are the semi finals not determined by a draw of the knockout stages?
No, it goes off seedings.

Welsh Magician

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Welsh Magician on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:54 pm

Welsh Magician wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Are the semi finals not determined by a draw of the knockout stages?
No, it goes off seedings.
My mistake, they wouldn't play Ospreys, it would be Gloucester.

Welsh Magician

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by GLove39 on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 12:19 am

Welsh Magician wrote:
Welsh Magician wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Are the semi finals not determined by a draw of the knockout stages?
No, it goes off seedings.
My mistake, they wouldn't play Ospreys, it would be Gloucester.

Perfect, revenge for that final boxing

GLove39

Posts : 3765
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23
Location : Aberdeen

http://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by 123456789 on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 12:25 am

Glasgow's depth issues are probably a budgeting issue, I doubt the overall budget has moved on all that much from previous years but I think the emphasis has changed.
Whereas in the past we had a squad capable of finishing consistently in the top 4 of the Pro12 we now have a first XV capable of mixing with the best in Europe but little to no depth. Nick Grigg is a decent player but the kind of player who should be playing in against Zebre on a six nations weekend not being brought on to change the game in one of the most important games in the club history.
It was the first game that I've really seen Glasgow miss Nakarawa, we needed a bit of magic in the pack or at least a player that required constant attention in the tight.
Also I'm not sure what has happened to Dunbar and Bennett but they've lost a wee bit of magic. Dunbar lost a lot of possession and seemed to lose a bit of oomph, he looked, dare I say, Morrison esque at times. Bennett seems to have lost his spark.
Having said that perhaps I'm placing too much emphasis on one game, but the backs just did not turn up today and that was disappointing because as individuals Munster have a back line that is average at best outside 9.

123456789

Posts : 1744
Join date : 2011-11-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:39 am

The Sunday Times are suggesting that Glasgow are going to sign Adam Hastings this summer.

This would make good sense as Glasgow are definitely short on the FH front and Hastings is never really likely to get to the front of the queue for game time at Bath. Priestland has just re-signed and even if Ford does leave, someone else will be lined up to take his place. He has served his apprenticeship down there and needs to move on to develop.

BigGee

Posts : 3427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EWT Spoons on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:40 am

According to the Sunday times today, Glasgow are trying to sign hastings

Never mind, BigGee got there before me

EWT Spoons

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EWT Spoons on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:45 am

Seems like it could be a good move from Glasgow, wish Edinburgh were making a move for him instead though

EWT Spoons

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:54 am

EWT Spoons wrote: According to the Sunday times today, Glasgow are trying to sign hastings

Never mind, BigGee got there before me

Got to be quick of the draw to get the gossip these days!

BigGee

Posts : 3427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by BigGee on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:56 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Seems like it could be a good move from Glasgow, wish Edinburgh were making a move for him instead though

Edinburgh have already got two front line FHs!

It actually sounded like Weir had a decent game yesterday, got the backs moving and was deadly with the boot!

BigGee

Posts : 3427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by George Carlin on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 11:00 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Seems like it could be a good move from Glasgow, wish Edinburgh were making a move for him instead though
Why would you do that when you have the World Class Meatball, Mr Duncan Weir?
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13274
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by R!skysports on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

I think the Glasgow game yesterday could be a precursor to the 6 nations

We really have not learnt to win close matches and this is now 12 years and counting.

I want 3 wins expect 2 wins and would not be surprised with 1 win




R!skysports

Posts : 3168
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by IanBru on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:08 am

I definitely don't want to sound in any way optimistic, but Scotstoun aside, the results this weekend have been very kind to Glasgow.

Next weekend, the important games are Montpellier v Northampton, Clermont v Exeter and Ulster v Bordeaux.

I think I'm right in setting out the possible permutations for Round Six:

  1. If Glasgow win, they are through.

  2. If Northampton, Clermont and Ulster win, Glasgow are effectively through regardless of their own result - Northampton and Ulster would need bonus point wins and a points difference turnaround of 131 and 70 respectively. Clermont are already through.

  3. If Montpellier or Exeter win with bonus points, Glasgow will need a draw or two bonus points, unless Montpellier and Exeter have a points turnaround of 70 and 46 respectively (requiring that Glasgow win).

  4. If Montpellier or Exeter win without a bonus, Glasgow will need a losing bonus, unless Montpellier and Exeter have a points turnaround of 70 and 46 respectively (requiring that Glasgow get a draw or two bonus points).

  5. If Bordeaux win without a bonus, Glasgow would be through unless Bordeaux had a points turnaround of 42 (requiring that Glasgow get one bonus point).

  6. If Bordeaux get a bonus point win, Glasgow would need a losing bonus point - if Bordeaux also turnaround the points difference by 42, Glasgow would need a draw or two bonus points.

  7. If Castres somehow beat Leinster (which they won't), they will need Montpellier to get a worse result, plus a points turnaround of 42 with Montpellier and 35 with Glasgow.

All other results (i.e. Scarlets v Sale, Saracens v Toulon and Toulouse v Connacht) merely decide whether Glasgow would play the first, second or third seeds in the quarter-finals

Interestingly, we'll already know all of the other results before kickoff at Welford Road, so the boys will know exactly what they need to do. They might even be through already!

Shut up, Ian.


Last edited by IanBru on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
IanBru

Posts : 2575
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 28
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by George Carlin on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 5:13 am

IanBru wrote:I definitely don't want to sound in any way optimistic, but Scotstoun aside, the results this weekend have been very kind to Glasgow.

Next weekend, the important games are Montpellier v Northampton, Clermont v Exeter and Ulster v Bordeaux.

I think I'm right in setting out the possible permutations for Round Six:

  1. If Glasgow win, they are through.

  2. If Northampton, Clermont and Ulster win, Glasgow are effectively through regardless of their own result - Northampton and Ulster would need bonus point wins and a points difference turnaround of 131 and 70 respectively. Clermont are already through.

  3. If Montpellier or Exeter win with bonus points, Glasgow will need a draw or two bonus points, unless Montpellier and Exeter have a points turnaround of 70 and 46 respectively (requiring that Glasgow win).

  4. If Montpellier or Exeter win without a bonus, Glasgow will need a losing bonus, unless Montpellier and Exeter have a points turnaround of 70 and 46 respectively (requiring that Glasgow get a draw or two bonus points).

  5. If Bordeaux win without a bonus, Glasgow would be through unless Bordeaux had a points turnaround of 42 (requiring that Glasgow get one bonus point).

  6. If Bordeaux get a bonus point win, Glasgow would need a losing bonus point - if Bordeaux also turnaround the points difference by 42, Glasgow would need a draw or two bonus points.

  7. If Castres somehow beat Leinster (which they won't), they will need Montpellier to get a worse result, plus a points turnaround of 42 with Montpellier and 35 with Glasgow.

All other results (i.e. Scarlets v Sale, Saracens v Toulon and Toulouse v Connacht) merely decide whether Glasgow would play the first, second or third seeds in the quarter-finals

Interestingly, we'll already know all of the other results before kickoff at Welford Road, so the boys will know exactly what they need to do. They might even be through already!

Shut up, Ian.
I can only assume it was a quiet evening in Newcastle, but thanks very much for doing that.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13274
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by R!skysports on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 8:10 am

Thanks forgot it was the 3 top second place teams.

Fingers crossed now we do not do an Edinburgh and man sausage it up

R!skysports

Posts : 3168
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by EWT Spoons on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 8:59 am

George Carlin wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Seems like it could be a good move from Glasgow, wish Edinburgh were making a move for him instead though
Why would you do that when you have the World Class Meatball, Mr Duncan Weir?

Very true.  How could I forget about World Class Weir.  Apparently he had a decent game down at Harlequins, but I doubt many Edinburgh fans travelled down, so as the old question goes, If Weir had a good game, but no one was there to see it, did he actually have a good game?  Or something like that.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by tigertattie on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:24 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Seems like it could be a good move from Glasgow, wish Edinburgh were making a move for him instead though
Why would you do that when you have the World Class Meatball, Mr Duncan Weir?

Very true.  How could I forget about World Class Weir.  Apparently he had a decent game down at Harlequins, but I doubt many Edinburgh fans travelled down, so as the old question goes, If Weir had a good game, but no one was there to see it, did he actually have a good game?  Or something like that.

Idiocy by the SRU once again!

They'll be looking to develop Hastings as an alternative to Flaky Finn. Why then place him in the same team where they'll be fighting it out for the 10 shirt meaning they'll be sharing game time with the flaky one gaining the lions share!

Hastings should go to Edinburgh to fight out the 10 shirt with Tovey and Weir can return to Glasgow as the backup for Russell!

The only way I can see this making sense is if Finn is going to be disappearing to another club next season!
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4001
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Ongoing Banter Thread XIV (It's still personal)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum