The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster Nucifora's Pet Province?

+30
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
The Great Aukster
glamorganalun
TheMildlyFranticLlama
SecretFly
Don Alfonso
toml
GunsGermsV2
Scottrf
brennomac
clivemcl
Rory_Gallagher
Redman
Golden
Maine man
marty2086
Pot Hale
Geen sport voor watjes
Engine#4
eirebilly
Recwatcher16
thebandwagonsociety
Sin é
profitius
St John The Enforcer
Pete330v2
geoff999rugby
rodders
formerly known as Sam
Kingshu
34 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Munster Nucifora's Pet Province? Empty Munster Nucifora's Pet Province?

Post by Kingshu Tue 20 Dec 2016, 12:29 pm

I think it was another reporter in the same paper said that Nucifora may be taking Munster on as a sort of personal project, getting Erasmus (his man) in and getting them on the right path again, it can be taken with a pinch of salt but reading more

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/ruaidhri-oconnor-ben-smith-capture-would-catapult-munster-back-to-the-top-table-35307339.html

"Talk of Ben Smith joining Munster...... the province may have sought outside help to bring Smith in. IRFU performance director Nucifora has spoken of his willingness to get private investors involved."

"Erasmus is working hard to increase his options next season, with Irish-qualified trio Chris Farrell, JJ Hanrahan and James Hart on the way, while Munster are likely to be allowed retain one of Jaco Taute or Francis Saili."

"Rhys Marshall, a project player from New Zealand, has already joined and uncapped South African prop Oliver Kebble has been linked with a move."

Munster couldn't afford their stadium repayments last year and are now in talks with Smith?

How much of this is true?

How much is down to Munster, and how much Nucifora?

How can Munster get Hart to be behind Murray, and have Pienaar leave Ulster? (why is Nucifora not making this an Ulster move to replace Pienaar)
Allowed an NIQ center forever and add a NIQ fullback, yet they have not produced any centers and have to relay on former Ulster ones Farrell, and Arnold?

If any of this is true fair play to Munster, but if its true and Nucifora is involved I wouldn't be as happy.
How can Nucifora push through all this for Munster who have limited finances, yet can't assit in moving some backrows to Ulster?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Munster Nucifora's Pet Province? Empty Re: Munster Nucifora's Pet Province?

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Dec 2016, 1:27 pm

Seems foolish to stockpile possible international scrum half's at Munster when Ulster are losing an outstanding player like Pienaar.

Do Munster need to spend big on a fullback when they have Zebo?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 20 Dec 2016, 1:53 pm

Kingshu wrote:

I'm guessing the bit about signing Smith is stretching reality a bit.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:21 pm

rodders wrote:
Kingshu wrote:

That is a rumour doing the rounds. Though I'd assumed it was him arriving as Saili leaves.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:29 pm

How does this fit with Ulster being told big signings are a thing of the past ?

Pienaer will not be replace, nor Piatau - at least that is what I am being told.

Having said that retaining one of Salli or Taute and signing Smith - I don't believe it
My guess 1 of the 3 will be there next year but not 2, especially with Hanrahan and Farrell joining

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:36 pm

I give up trying to work out the logic within the inner circles of the IRFU. The aim to strengthen the international player pool is great but not at the expense of the provinces, or should I say the expense of one province.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:38 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:How does this fit with Ulster being told big signings are a thing of the past ?

Pienaer will not be replace, nor Piatau - at least that is what I am being told.

Having said that retaining one of Salli or Taute and signing Smith - I don't believe it
My guess 1 of the 3 will be there next year but not 2, especially with Hanrahan and Farrell joining

What about the bit where it says Munster have signed James Hart, surely it would be see to that if he is being brought out of his contact it's Ulster that need him (Munster can't afford to buy his contact out so if its happening its the IRFU doing it)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:42 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
rodders wrote:
Kingshu wrote:

That is a rumour doing the rounds. Though I'd assumed it was him arriving as Saili leaves.

I know it is, so was O'Gara joining the Miami Dolphins at one point...

Smiths salary reportedly would be in the range of 800k - 1.5m euro per season so I'll eat my hat if that happens.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:43 pm

It's a bit rich for fans of a province with 6 NIQs and the only one to have true international stars (Pienaar, Piutau & Cotzee) to be bellyaching about other provinces.

Also the only recent contribution to Team Ireland with a single digit number is Henderson. Great and all as he is.......

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:46 pm

Fair play to Nucifora if thats true. He has done a great job in turning Munster around. As they say, to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs. Nucifora is the IRFU's egg breaker. The reason Nucifora was able to do that was because of the Munster debt. Nucifora basically told Munster to follow Connachts lead and start playing the youngsters.

I thought the Ben Smith talk was nonsense when I first heard about it but then I remember the 10 year ticket sales that are coming up and if they can get private backers to pay for Smith, why not sign him. He might not cost a great deal at all.

Saili is on big wages from what I hear and he is likely to leave. Keatley will probably go to the top 14 and Mark Chisholm, Dave Foley, Cian Bohane, David Johnston are some others likely to leave along with TOL.

I'd hope they're not allowed to sign another prop, unless rumours of Kilcoyne leaving are true. I don't know if Hart is any good. JJ and Farrell would be 2 quality signings.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:46 pm

St John The Enforcer wrote:
Also the only recent contribution to Team Ireland with a single digit number is Henderson. Great and all as he is.......

Hey you forgot about Rodney Ah You!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:48 pm

St John The Enforcer wrote:It's a bit rich for fans of a province with 6 NIQs and the only one to have true international stars (Pienaar, Piutau & Cotzee) to be bellyaching about other provinces.

No, we are 'bellyaching' about an apparent double standard by the IRFU, and what do recent contribution's have to do with anything?

Are you a Munster fan? This isn't about having a go at Munster. As said; fair play to them if true. It is about possible IRFU hypocrisy.

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:59 pm

St John The Enforcer wrote:It's a bit rich for fans of a province with 6 NIQs and the only one to have true international stars (Pienaar, Piutau & Cotzee) to be bellyaching about other provinces.

Nobodies bellyaching just pointing out inconsistencies

Ulster are down to 2 NIQ next year and have received indications that Pienaer and Piatau will not be replaced by high profile players as part of a drive towards lowering the number of NIQ at the provinces.
Pienaer is leaving because he is apparently holding back young Irish talent even if no one can actually recall the name of an Irish player who has been held back or one who is at Ulster with the potential to develop into a top SH - at least for a couple of years which is what we are talking about.
Munster having a couple of NIQ backs when they have added Arnold to their books and are, apparently, adding Farrell and JJ next year looks a bit like holding back Irish talent.

Also it seems a bit strange the most heavily indebted Provinces is making big signings whilst the most self reliant one is not

I thing you will fine Rory Best as Irelands captain has made a fairly substantial contribution recently Very Happy

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:00 pm

Kingshu wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:How does this fit with Ulster being told big signings are a thing of the past ?

What about the bit where it says Munster have signed James Hart, surely it would be see to that if he is being brought out of his contact it's Ulster that need him (Munster can't afford to buy his contact out so if its happening its the IRFU doing it)

Hart is simple I suspect he wont come north.
Established southern players wont come north - they never have

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:07 pm

profitius wrote:Fair play to Nucifora if thats true. He has done a great job in turning Munster around. As they say, to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs. Nucifora is the IRFU's egg breaker. The reason Nucifora was able to do that was because of the Munster debt. Nucifora basically told Munster to follow Connachts lead and start playing the youngsters.

I thought the Ben Smith talk was nonsense when I first heard about it but then I remember the 10 year ticket sales that are coming up and if they can get private backers to pay for Smith, why not sign him. He might not cost a great deal at all.

Saili is on big wages from what I hear and he is likely to leave. Keatley will probably go to the top 14 and Mark Chisholm, Dave Foley, Cian Bohane, David Johnston are some others likely to leave along with TOL.

I'd hope they're not allowed to sign another prop, unless rumours of Kilcoyne leaving are true. I don't know if Hart is any good. JJ and Farrell would be 2 quality signings.

How did Nucifora turn Munster around? Far more likely that the Munster underage system is starting to deliver (i.e., 14 Munster U20s in Ireland squad - including 2 scrumhalfs & 2 outhalfs - and thats leaving Bill Johnson back in Munster).

I'd imagine that Munster's Commercial Board are probably delivering as well! JP seems to be taking a big interest in rugby at the moment (10m investment in new Rugby Museum in Limerick) - he sold a building in Paris last week for 1 Bn, so he maybe feeling generous!

Mind you, I'd take the Ben Smith coming to Munster with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Sin é on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:07 pm

Sounds like Dagg and Smith want to wrangle an extra 50-100k out of the English/French clubs and are using the Irish provinces in the rumour mill to drum up interest and demand.

Also, I read Nucifora's referenced comments on Munster far different to the tone implied above..... ie Munster can go get their money somewhere else if they want to bring in foreign signings!

Sounds like Duncan Williams heading to Ulster! (lights fuse and runs out of the room)

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:14 pm

I think Sin é is right the turn around we are seeing at Munster has nothing to do with Nucifora but the great work being done by people at the Province

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:33 pm

Interesting to read perceptions on how the IRFU operates in the background with their four franchises. Looking at the international pack that Leinster put out last weekend, I wonder if the other franchises will ever achieve that in the future, not withstanding Munster doing it a decade back.

The potential ownership conflict with the French bid for a Gloucester takeover, whilst in a different league and under different membership rules provides an interesting comparison to the Pro12 , that most fans don't feel the need to consider when supporting their local team.
I think it will though become increasingly important in the future as margins for achieving success become slimmer over time.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:39 pm

Just on the number of scrumhalfs Munster have - I'd imagine it might be an attractive place for someone like Hart to go to a club who have a reputation for producing scrumhalfs and will be working with one of the best scrumhalfs in the world who will be away a lot with Ireland.

Just on Munster's finances - Munster will be trying to sell 2,000 x 10 year tickets next year! When they were last up (2007) they were sold at 5,500 which is approx. 10m. Ben Smith wouldn't be a bad idea maybe!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:51 pm

rodders wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
rodders wrote:
Kingshu wrote:

I know it is, so was O'Gara joining the Miami Dolphins at one point...

Smiths salary reportedly would be in the range of 800k - 1.5m euro per season so I'll eat my hat if that happens.

If that's the price range then very few AP clubs will be able to afford it. With he pound falling in value (don't talk to me about Brexit) and the clubs with the big backers either having full squads or bigger concerns their might not be a lot of options available. The Tigers are the only big club other than Bath who will be eying up a 15 but Tigers have no chance of spending that kind of money currently and Bath will be be more concerned with their front row and the Ford situation.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 20 Dec 2016, 4:09 pm

Recwatcher16 wrote:Interesting to read perceptions on how the IRFU operates in the background with their four franchises. Looking at the international pack that Leinster put out last weekend, I wonder if the other franchises will ever achieve that in the future, not withstanding Munster doing it a decade back.

The potential ownership conflict with the French bid for a Gloucester takeover, whilst in a different league and under different membership rules provides an interesting comparison to the Pro12 , that most fans don't feel the need to consider when supporting their local team.
I think it will though become increasingly important in the future as margins for achieving success become slimmer over time.

The Irish Provinces are investing heavily in their academies - thats how the IRFU are competing. 12 of Munster's starting team v. Leicester came through the Munster Academy. Of the 23, 16 came through the Munster academy, with 2 coming through the Leinster Academy. Otherwise of the 23, 3 Saffers and 2 Kiwis).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Tue 20 Dec 2016, 4:15 pm

That wasn't my point Sin, haven't the majority of players over recent times come through the respective academies ?

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:12 pm

Sin é wrote:
profitius wrote:Fair play to Nucifora if thats true. He has done a great job in turning Munster around. As they say, to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs. Nucifora is the IRFU's egg breaker. The reason Nucifora was able to do that was because of the Munster debt. Nucifora basically told Munster to follow Connachts lead and start playing the youngsters.

How did Nucifora turn Munster around? Far more likely that the Munster underage system is starting to deliver (i.e., 14 Munster U20s in Ireland squad - including 2 scrumhalfs & 2 outhalfs - and thats leaving Bill Johnson back in Munster).

I'd imagine that Munster's Commercial Board are probably delivering as well! JP seems to be taking a big interest in rugby at the moment (10m investment in new Rugby Museum in Limerick) - he sold a building in Paris last week for 1 Bn, so he maybe feeling generous!

Mind you, I'd take the Ben Smith coming to Munster with a grain of salt.

Nucifora signed Erasmus and has put together a plan to turn Munster around. I think the OP is probably correct.

You praise the academy but remember Munster ignored that until it was too late. Its only when the golden generation retired did they realise there was nothing coming through. Amateurs. Only then did they start to get their act together and we're seeing the results of that now with the team starting to win underage interpros again. I think they went over a decade without beating Leinster in some age groups and in the youths, Leinster have dominated despite not having a major advantage in terms of numbers.

Will the 10m investment in the museum have anything to do with Munster or is it a Limerick city project?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:31 pm

I didn't praise the Academy, I praised the underage system. Most the players in that U20s side are not yet in the Academy. The new underage system was well in place before either Nucifora or Erasmus came (I'm referring to the residential player identification camp in Rockwell every summer has been going on for the last 3 years at least now). Young players like Alan Tynan was in this camp this year instead of playing hurling and football for Tipperary Minors as he did the previous summer. They bring in people like Denis Leamy, Marcus Horan and last summer Paul O'Connell to help with the coaching.

Munster has particular issues in that its a large rural area mainly with only 2 rugby schools in Cork, the largest city and huge competition from GAA. You are wrong if you think that Leinster does not have a numbers advantage over every other province!

Paul O'Connell is the chairman of the board of directors of the new Rugby Experience museum and Woody is also on it as well - hard to see how Munster would not be involved with it.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:51 pm

Leinster has a considerable advantage over the other provinces - they employ some of those advantages well but they are most definitely there

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:56 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
Kingshu wrote:

Hart is simple I suspect he wont come north.
Established southern players wont come north - they never have

Ah, that's why he's going to Munster Smile

Run

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:58 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Sounds like Dagg and Smith want to wrangle an extra 50-100k out of the English/French clubs and are using the Irish provinces in the rumour mill to drum up interest and demand.

Also, I read Nucifora's referenced comments on Munster far different to the tone implied above..... ie Munster can go get their money somewhere else if they want to bring in foreign signings!

Sounds like Duncan Williams heading to Ulster! (lights fuse and runs out of the room)

Not even in jest! mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:05 pm

Are you cross with Duncs for putting Pienaar in his pocket the last time he was up in Ravespan?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:46 pm

Sin é wrote:Are you cross with Duncs for putting Pienaar in his pocket the last time he was up in Ravespan?

Of course.

If only Pienaar could play like Donut Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 26 Dec 2016, 7:32 pm

Great win for Munster today over Leinster. 5 points clear at the top Very Happy

On a down side, really thought that Owens had a horrible game. How no Leinster player saw a yellow card I will never know.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Mon 26 Dec 2016, 7:57 pm

Healy should have gone in the first half for being generally brainless.  Think Kirchener's hit at the end of the half was fine, though the wrong decision, and the TMO seemed to agree.  

Munster were the better team regardless but having Owens on the field helped them rather than hindered.  They had plenty of possession and their handling levels and ball retention were excellent. Owens did not let the Leinster backrow near the ball even if they were on their feet.  On the odd occasion they got there, Munster benefited from Owens patented extra few seconds for the tackled player to hang onto the ball.  They were able to monopolise the ball and never looked like losing.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Mon 26 Dec 2016, 8:04 pm

Sounds like the previous poster is a sore loser. Munster were generally poor against a team that came to defend and nothing else. Should have scored 40+ points and should be disappointed not to have done.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Mon 26 Dec 2016, 8:41 pm

Always sore when my team loses.  Even against a good side, who outclassed them in a venue where they lose twice as often as they win. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

Sounds like the previous poster is a WBA hating Arsenal fan.  You can't go into a rugby match expecting to defend your way through it.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 26 Dec 2016, 8:59 pm

Engine#4 wrote:Healy should have gone in the first half for being generally brainless.  Think Kirchener's hit at the end of the half was fine, though the wrong decision, and the TMO seemed to agree.  

Munster were the better team regardless but having Owens on the field helped them rather than hindered.  They had plenty of possession and their handling levels and ball retention were excellent. Owens did not let the Leinster backrow near the ball even if they were on their feet.  On the odd occasion they got there, Munster benefited from Owens patented extra few seconds for the tackled player to hang onto the ball.  They were able to monopolise the ball and never looked like losing.

Not so sure about that, I felt Owens was very quick to punish Munster at the breakdown and was very lenient on Leinster. Still do not understand how Leinster were warned so many times without actually having a player carded. The kirchener hit late in the first half was borderline but I would not have yellow carded him.

Just happy with the TBP win thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 27 Dec 2016, 2:51 pm

Munster well deserved their win. Home advantage and a better stocked team helped a lot but there was also more hunger on the red side for the win. Not enough bodies on the line from the Leinster players - even Nacewa seemed somewhat subdued.

The complaints about the strength of the Leinster side and how it diminished the contest have now been given further airing when I think more focus should be aimed at how well the Leinster players who togged out did - or didn't - play. Cian Healy being a prime example. A less than tolerant ref than Owens would have seen him spend ten minutes in the bin, and concede a few more penalties for his side.

Leinster seemed to wake up in the last ten minutes of the match but at that point it was too little, too late, with Strauss bursting through for the softest of tries against a Munster defence that perhaps knew it had already won the day.

Munster were the same hard-nosed, hungry and committed team as they've been most of the season. They should finish on top for 2016 given they face a heavily-injury depleted Connacht side next weekend.

The news about Taute being given a 6-month extension is good news at Thomond and given he is already capped for SA, might be in line for a further spell for the next couple of seasons. However, Erasmus' comment during the week when asked about if Munster were pitching for Ben Smith, that his job was to find and develop Irish-qualified players along with the other three provincial coaches, as per the policy diktat from Schmidt, Nucifora and IRFU, then perhaps not. Does this mean that NZ-capped Sail's two year contract won't be renewed either?

Who can step into the frame if both players are gone from Munster books by end of season?

From what I gather, John Cooney at Connacht will be heading north for next season to appear for his third province - and he's only 26. Given his birthplace is Scotland, and he remains uncapped at senior level, will he be touring next June in USA and Japan?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:04 am

Munster refute claims they are receiving special treatment over Jaco Taute's contract

http://www.the42.ie/jaco-taute-munster-3163725-Dec2016/

Personally again this isn't a dig at Muntser. They wanted to hold on to a very good player and they presented the case for it, any province would have done the same, and fair play to them.

It’s the IRFU and Nucifora in particular who have to explain the logic behind them permitting Munster to hold on to Taute.
Two NIQ centers untill the end of the year, Munster have had a NIQ center forever, and next year will have another NIQ and 2 former Ulster centers.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

Kingshu wrote:
It’s the IRFU and Nucifora in particular who have to explain the logic behind them permitting Munster to hold on to Taute.
Two NIQ centers untill the end of the year, Munster have had a NIQ center forever, and next year will have another NIQ and 2 former Ulster centers.

Who's the NIQ centre for next season?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:10 am

I wonder if Nucifora is putting in the same work into Ulster or the other provinces? (not even the Pienaar issue)

When Coetzee got injuried were Ulster allowed a NIQ medical joker, that we could keep to the end of the season?
Has he helped move two former Munster/Leinster backrows North?

And if true how has he allowed Munster to sign James Hart, while insisting Ulster move Pienaar on?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:11 am

marty2086 wrote:
Kingshu wrote:

While they are only have 6 months deals/left, you can be certain that one of Sali or Taute will be there next season.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:22 am

Kingshu wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Kingshu wrote:

While they are only have 6 months deals/left, you can be certain that one of Sali or Taute will be there next season.

May depend on what other business they do, if Hanrahan comes back it may change the dynamics

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:27 am

Personally I think that when Ulster were requesting to keep Louis Ludik, Nucifora should have assisted in moving him to Munster.
They were short in the backs, and he would have been able to finish his residency in Munster.
I'm glad he stayed though.

Of course we do not know what the players wished.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:36 am

Did I read correct that James Hart is moving to Munster?

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:59 am

Maine man wrote:Did I read correct that James Hart is moving to Munster?

Yeah and Murray is coming to Ulster Yahoo

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Dec 2016, 11:18 am

Kingshu wrote:Munster refute claims they are receiving special treatment over Jaco Taute's contract

http://www.the42.ie/jaco-taute-munster-3163725-Dec2016/

Personally again this isn't a dig at Muntser. They wanted to hold on to a very good player and they presented the case for it, any province would have done the same, and fair play to them.

As a Munster fan, I would love Taute to stay but only if it was on a permanent basis. I do not like this short term contract thing as it does nothing to help develop Munster as a team.

As for Pienaar, still for the life of me do not understand the logic behind it. The man loves to play for Ulster and he is not holding back future 9's, he has/is actually helping develop the future Irish 10. That alone is worth its weight in gold.

I would love to see Keatley leave and have JJ return for Ulster but again feel that JJ should go to Connacht to form a partnership with Marmion.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:40 pm

Is Hanrahan to Munster not confirmed? With him and Farrell coming to Munster I'd expect both NIQs to gone next season. Hasnt Saili confirmed he wants to go back to try make the RWC squad.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:45 pm

Not as far as I am aware Golden, have been enjoying the break too much so may have missed the news if it has been confirmed. Thought it was a mistake letting him leave in the first place, he was always a better option than Keatley in my mind.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 30 Dec 2016, 1:10 pm

Golden wrote:Is Hanrahan to Munster not confirmed? With him and Farrell coming to Munster I'd expect both NIQs to gone next season. Hasnt Saili confirmed he wants to go back to try make the RWC squad.

Hanrahan isn't confirmed. All the Provinces have two NIQ players in their backs (Leinster - Nacewa & Zane Kirchner), Ulster (Louis Ludik & Piutau). I think they are needed to keep things ticking over to cover for Ireland players. Munster is likely to supply Earls, Zebo & Sweetnam to Ireland (with maybe Rory Scannell as well) and with Conway being fairly injury prone, it makes sense to try and keep Taute. Who knows if Saili will be sticking around as well?

It only happens every couple of years that a new coach comes in and brings in players that might not have thought of Ireland up to that, so best to take advantage of it when you can.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Dec 2016, 1:11 pm

I don't think Hanrahan was allowed to leave he just wasn't given guarantees he wanted

As for the Pienaar/Taute situation, I think Nucifora has been trying to force Ulster to get someone IQ in or at least a project and hes cocked it up as the options are limited and instead of holding his hands up to it has just dug further in

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 30 Dec 2016, 1:12 pm

Sin é wrote:
Golden wrote:Is Hanrahan to Munster not confirmed? With him and Farrell coming to Munster I'd expect both NIQs to gone next season. Hasnt Saili confirmed he wants to go back to try make the RWC squad.

Hanrahan isn't confirmed. All the Provinces have two NIQ players in their backs (Leinster - Nacewa & Zane Kirchner), Ulster (Louis Ludik & Piutau). I think they are needed to keep things ticking over to cover for Ireland players. Munster is likely to supply Earls, Zebo & Sweetnam to Ireland (with maybe Rory Scannell as well) and with Conway being fairly injury prone, it makes sense to try and keep Taute. Who knows if Saili will be sticking around as well?

It only happens every couple of years that a new coach comes in and brings in players that might not have thought of Ireland up to that, so best to take advantage of it when you can.

Ludiks a project player though

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Dec 2016, 1:15 pm

marty2086 wrote:I don't think Hanrahan was allowed to leave he just wasn't given guarantees he wanted

As for the Pienaar/Taute situation, I think Nucifora has been trying to force Ulster to get someone IQ in or at least a project and hes cocked it up as the options are limited and instead of holding his hands up to it has just dug further in

By allowed, I mean more should have been done to keep him. In my opinion he was the better option than Keatley so more should have been done. He left on his own free will, yes but if Munster had guaranteed him more then I believe he would have stayed.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next