The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray's Legacy

+2
greengoblin
CaledonianCraig
6 posters

Go down

Murray's Legacy Empty Murray's Legacy

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:37 pm

I remember on here a few years ago posters were questioning what Murray's time and success in the sport would mean in the long run to British tennis. Many felt it wouldn't change anything and he'd retire and the sport would go back to the mundaneness ofpre-Henman and Rusedski era. Well today funding has been made to build more indoor courts and encourage participation. Without Murray's success this amount of money would never have been ploughed into the sport in the UK. Full story here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/38377314
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Murray's Legacy Empty Re: Murray's Legacy

Post by greengoblin Wed 21 Dec 2016, 11:23 am

Murray's legacy is the worst no 1 tennis has ever had. Baseline grinder and pusher of the worst kind. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray and Djokovic have a tacit agreement to hit endless defensive crosscourt backhands and forehands until one of them makes an error. Can anyone show me the last time Murray hit a dtl backhand winner. I think it might be 2011.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Thu 22 Dec 2016, 2:04 pm

It takes more than money, look how long Federer was at the Top and apart from Wawrinka there aren't floods of male Swiss players coming through.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 22 Dec 2016, 2:22 pm

erictheblueuk wrote:It takes more than money, look how long Federer was at the Top and apart from Wawrinka there aren't floods of male Swiss players coming through.

It does but it is the combined package we are talking about here. Millions of pounds spent on building more indoor courts in Scotland. That would never have happened pre-Murray. At least now there will be facilities where before there were none.Again pre-Murray how many Scots and rest of the UK were inspired to take up tennis - very few. I'd hazard a guess there are many Scots now aspiring to be another Murray (despite what the haters say). Okay they may not make it but the interest in the sport in the UK has never been higher in my lifetime.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:24 am

I think he's already done a lot for British tennis.

Look at the success of Edmund and Evans last year.  Murray has helped both in the past, especially Edmund who does his training blocks with him.  Having access to a top player and his team must be a great help.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 31 Dec 2016, 4:23 am

Glad to see this - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-38467970 . clap clap

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 31 Dec 2016, 7:54 am

Well deserved knighthood. But like some I thought they would wait until his career was over before bestowing the honour.
What are they going to put on the scoreboards at his matches? Sir A Murray, or what?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Dec 2016, 7:59 am

Not surprised.

What about Mo Farah -didn't even finish in the top 3 for SPOTY!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 31 Dec 2016, 10:31 am

sirfredperry wrote:Well deserved knighthood. But like some I thought they would wait until his career was over before bestowing the honour.
  What are they going to put on the scoreboards at his matches? Sir A Murray, or what?

I do agree.

I'd have preferred it if they had waited until he had hung up his racket. He has unfinished business to do on the tennis court so would have made more sense to wait until his tennis career was over. It can only be a distraction.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down