The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

+27
dynamark
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
NedB-H
beninho
Shotrock
Humpyd
AlciG
LadyPutt
EmmDee57
navyblueshorts
GPB
robopz
MontysMerkin
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
puligny
Faldono1fan
JAS
super_realist
pedro
raycastleunited
Be_the_ball
I'm never wrong
sirbenson
31 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship - Page 3 Empty European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

Post by sirbenson Thu 05 Jan 2017, 8:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Selected Tee Times

Last edited by sirbenson on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 5:21 pm; edited 19 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship - Page 3 Empty Re: European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

Post by robopz Wed 18 Jan 2017, 8:46 pm

super_realist wrote:I agree, I'm almost wondering if it's a Nike thing actually. Do they insist on their athletes being as ripped as possible with scant regard for their longevity?

Nike don't really make innovative products, they simply make clothes. So I'm wondering if they insist on a specific aesthetic look for their clothes horses at least for certain people. Funny how their many of their most high profile players are all stupidly and needlessly ripped.
Who knows... could be something to that.  But my guess is if there's a Nike "cause and effect" thing going on, it's probably more likely the association their golfers have with Nike athletes in other sports where "being ripped" is much more necessary. That could entice the golfers to do more bodybuilding to fit in.  Back in there early 2000's there were stories being forwarded about at least part of Tiger's bodybuilding motivation was to get ripped so as to be seen as more of an "athlete" among his Nike brethren...   I mean lets face it... you don't have the same "athletic peer pressure" at Ashworth or Izod....

robopz

Back to top Go down

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship - Page 3 Empty Re: European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:01 pm

Maybe they were trying to get Carl Pettersson to lose a few (hundred) lbs - perhaps that's the reason for his demise?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:10 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:JAS will be happy. David Howell now steps up as Chairman of Tournament Committee with Bjorn resigning to cope with Ryder Cup responsibilities.

Long day in the new job so just catching up with stuff. I know he's chuffed to bits as his original Pro forwarded on a message from him to our Clubs FB page earlier this afternoon.

RC Captaincy would be a big leap Kwini, remains to be seen whether Bjorn has started a path that others might now follow. I wouldn't have said that Howeller would be a front runner but who knows what a couple of years in his new role will do for his profile. He is universally liked and respected by his peers but that in itself wouldn't flag him up as an obvious candidate either.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:14 pm

Not sure who originally said it, (maybe John Daly).

You can pull a muscle but you can't pull a "fat".

Robo: Check your DM's please.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:16 pm

Appreciate the thought JAS, Howeller doesn't seem as outwardly ambitious as some recent RC Captains, would think that causes him to be overlooked (perhaps that keeps Robbie Karlsson's name out of consideration also), but respect from peers is a big deal.

GPB: Tim Herron?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:32 pm

I wonder what the EuroT rank/file and journeyman players think of the new eligibility rules.

Seems like Pelley is trying to attract more World Class players to their tour.  The average top American only needs to 4 events under the new rules which basically means that they have to play 20 PGATour events.  They get 3 free releases per year from the PGATour plus one release for every five tournaments above the required 15 events.

Obviously if these top Americans join the EuroT and start playing Euro events, they are going to typically play the high purse Rolex events.

For every Spieth (or Dustin or Patrick) that plays the French Open, it is one less journeyman that can play those events.

Then again they might just go for the generous Appearance fees in the Middle East.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:05 pm

GPB wrote:I wonder what the EuroT rank/file and journeyman players think of the new eligibility rules.
If I'm a "rank and file" guy on the ET not so sure I'd be happy about all the massaging going on for the benefit of the ET's stars... or their desire to attract dual tour players from America.

But I understand why they're doing it. One thing I'll give Pelley credit for, he understands golf at the professional level is a "star driven" sport... and being so much in the shadow of the PGAT, he's gotta do everything he can to get as many "stars" staying home or new ones coming over to play as he possibly can. I suppose if the end result is a stronger ET Tour that's of more value to sponsors/fans/TV audience... then perhaps it'll end up being a win-win all the way around in the long run...(some lower guys on the totem pole be damned in the short term though).

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:24 pm

I don't really understand the issue here; at least, compared to the PGA Tour where the "rank/file" Americans only gain entry to a %age of events, few Majors or WGC's, the TPC, TOC or Invitationals.

One might argue that any top Americans will add more to the European purses than top "Internationals" contribute to US purses.

There is really a second (or third or fourth) tier of tournaments on both Tours; no change expected, unless they reduce the number of exempt players.

Which is a long way of saying I agree w/robo: "win-win".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:26 pm

Looks like Pelley has been reading my posts on here over the last few years. He appreciates double dipping is pretty much becoming impossible and has tried to mitigate any future issues with players opting to play the PGAT exclusively. Very Happy

I joke, but maybe there is a ring of truth to that.

You have to think the rank and file Euro tourers now feel distinctly division 2?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:40 pm

Thomas Pieters joins Jason Day in becoming a new Nike recruit.

https://twitter.com/Thomas_Pieters/status/821821860362985473

Notice the Callaway cap and non nike logo on the Shirt. Not usually how Nike kits out its players.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:08 am

McLaren wrote:Looks like Pelley has been reading my posts on here over the last few years.  He appreciates double dipping is pretty much becoming impossible and has tried to mitigate any future issues with players opting to play the PGAT exclusively.  Very Happy
Good point. Maybe not impossible, but except for the very top players, certainly getting a LOT harder to dual tour than it once was.

Last year when the ET went from their old 13 minimum rule to 5 not including the majors and WGC's, IMO it was a realization that if the ET forces players to make a choice between the PGAT or the ET... The PGAT was holding the much stronger hand... especially for those with a primary or even secondary home in the U.S. What I like about the direction Pelley is going... at first it seemed more "let's not lose out so much" whereas with this new Rolex Series thing it's shifting more to "let's win a little more often".

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:05 am

Robert Rock discussing the new more detailed greens book available to the players and some snippets about slow play at the end.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:29 pm

Tough day for the American "tourists" Fowler and DJ... oopsie...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 1:06 pm

McLaren wrote:Robert Rock discussing the new more detailed greens book available to the players and some snippets about slow play at the end.
Mark Long has mostly taken over from Lucas as the go to guy for yardage books for the PGA Tour guys for a while now... and until I saw Justin Rose using them, I didn't realize Mark does the same kind of thing with full size sheets Rock is showing.  I never saw it when I was out there... or if I did, didn't notice it, but they're doing it now.  I assume the caddies and players use the full sheets more in practice rounds, but every now and again you'll see a guy pull out the larger sheets during a competition round.  I've seen Rose do it for sure... Wouldn't be surprised if there are others....

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 19 Jan 2017, 2:12 pm

robopz wrote:
If I'm a "rank and file" guy on the ET not so sure I'd be happy about all the massaging going on for the benefit of the ET's stars... or their desire to attract dual tour players from America.

Although the rank and file guys should recognise that the reason they can make such a good living is that the small number of super stars bump up the prize fund available to all of them to play for.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 19 Jan 2017, 2:12 pm

McLaren wrote:Looks like Pelley has been reading my posts on here over the last few years.  He appreciates double dipping is pretty much becoming impossible and has tried to mitigate any future issues with players opting to play the PGAT exclusively.  Very Happy

I joke, but maybe there is a ring of truth to that.

For a European, I can't acknowledge that double dipping is anywhere close to impossible. Even for player that is not in the top 50 but well inside the Top 200. Someone like a Thorbjorn Oleson (#65) or Gregory Bourdry (#133)

Even under the old 13 tournament minimum on the EuroT and 15 tournament on the PGAT. Its only 28 weeks! There are 52 weeks per year, so he is off 24 weeks per year. If he performs to his OWGR ranking he should have no problem making the Top 110 and Top 125 playing the minimum amount of tournaments.

Yes, they are going to have a play a few more weeks per year than the single tour player. But I don't think it is that onerous. 30-40 years ago, many of the PGATour pro play 25-32 weeks per year. Even many of the World Class Players. Casper, Trevino, Floyd, Wadkins, Green. Granted they were not crossing the pond.

In this era, it is almost remarkable when a player plays 25-30 weeks per year. That was SoP 40-50 years ago. Look at the 1972 PGATour money list

http://www.databasegolf.com/seasons/season_earnings.htm?yr=1972

Yes, they have to do some "Pond Hopping" to play both in Europe and USA. If they want to do both, yes they have to work a little harder. But nearly impossible. Pfffffffft. Cry me a river.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Although the rank and file guys should recognise that the reason they can make such a good living is that the small number of super stars bump up the prize fund available to all of them to play for.
Agree completely Ray... Except for those that are bumped from the field. But in the long run, I believe more events will want to become Rolex Series events, and even those that don't will feel pressure to raise their purses as well in an attempt to stay relevant. That benefits everyone.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm

GPB... with all due respect, IMO you Waaaaay underestimate how difficult it is to "just play more" as you suggest.  These are human beings we're talking about, not just numbers on a spreadsheet that you can just go +1 or +2 or +5 in event count and assume it will yield more points or better results.  Fatigue, both mental and physical is a REAL thing and with the competition at the levels it is today you just have to be in reasonable mental and physical shape to compete successfully.  Listen to virtually every player that talks about being "gassed" and look at their results when they are... usually pretty damn poor... These guys aren't making it up... it's REAL.

It's simply a matter there comes a point where playing more produces diminishing returns if it's wearing the players completely out.  Pro's today realize that. Pretty much every player that has the luxury of setting their own schedule understand... it's NOT about HOW MANY events you play... it's way more about being better prepared and "fresher" mentally and physically for better QUALITY of results in the ones you do play.

EDIT: But there is an area where a spreadsheet can show us more... using your example of the guy who played 15 and 13 for a total of 28... plug in the numbers and see how much BETTER he has to do per event to be competitive on either Tour compared to the full time guys on either Tour who are playing 25. Bottom line... the really good players can do it... but there just aren't as many "really good" ones as a lot of people think.

Last edited by robopz on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:40 pm

Robo: Its 28-30 events per year, not 44-46 events per year.

if a Euro players wants to do it, its doable and nowhere near impossible.

From Western Europe:

Flying to East coast USA is equivalent to flying to the Middle East.

Flying from to West Coast USA is about the same as flying to South Africa and the Far East.

Sure it is tougher, but not near impossible. If they want the rewards, they got to work harder and take the risks.

The Koreans on the LPGA tour typically play 28-30 tournaments in the Far East and USA per year and they are hopping a much bigger pond than Euros do when they come to America

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm

GPB

My post was somewhat in jest as I alluded to, but I wasn't really talking about the difficulties of scheduling a double dipping season but doing it and being able to perform as well as you used to.

Other than the really top guys like Rory, how often does a player who embarks on double dipping have an equal or better OWGR the a year or 2 years late?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:56 pm

Depends what you call double-dipping, Mac.

Donald, Casey, Stenson, Olazabal, Poulter and probably plenty others did OK.

But the key to the whole thing is keeping in the owgr Top 50, maintaining a sensible schedule, and keeping fit.

Mess up on any of those three and you likely won't make it. Molinari perhaps a recent exception who won't prove the rule.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:03 pm

Yes GPB... it's 28-30 events.  And I'd submit that on average a player of equal ability who's playing 20-25 and is better prepared for his, and less fatigued has as good as if not better chance of better QUALITY and more often than not better TOTAL results.

And IMO the LPGA comparison just doesn't apply because the depth of fields are still very weak on the LPGA compared to either the PGAT or ET.   Thus the effect of "fatigue" vs their competition on the better players would be less.  PLUS you have more players participating in a similar number of events... PLUS you have a case where not only are the top Korean and other Asian players required to be "world" players, the American and European LPGA players are too.

IMO a good (but not perfect) measure of the relative competitiveness of a Tour is scoring averages.  

Here are the Standard Deviations of #1-150 scoring averages for last season for each Tour.
0.482 = PGAT
0.603 = ET
1.032 = LPGA

The stroke spread between the scoring average of players #1-5 vs players #146-150 on each tour are
2.02 = PGAT
2.60 = ET
4.03 = LPGA

Last edited by robopz on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:10 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Depends what you call double-dipping, Mac.

Donald, Casey, Stenson, Olazabal, Poulter and probably plenty others did OK.

But the key to the whole thing is keeping in the owgr Top 50, maintaining a sensible schedule, and keeping fit.

Mess up on any of those three and you likely won't make it. Molinari perhaps a recent exception who won't prove the rule.
Nailed it thumbsup

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:57 pm

Well... leave it to PD to figure things out pretty quickly...

Nosferatu ‏@VC606 14h14 hours ago
New @RyderCupEurope qualif. rules, a step in right direction. But the first 8 to qualify in 2016 would be the same using OLD or NEW systems.

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship - Page 3 C2hrbe6WgAAkzq5

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 12:17 am

Not surprised, pretty much said the same yesterday. Great for the media to chew over but the fact is: We got beat . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 1:22 am

Robo: Hard to prove either way, but IMO, 4-5 more tournaments should not be that much of a liability. IMO

If it is then 15 should be better than 20 and 10 should be better than 15

I sure wish my employers would have decided that 26 weeks off per year would make me more productive.

PD's simulated RC post confused me a little, I am little skeptical that he accounted for all the changes correctly. Like omitting RC points for events that conflict with the Rolex events etc.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jan 2017, 1:55 am

GPB wrote:Robo:  Hard to prove either way, but IMO, 4-5 more tournaments should not be that much of a liability.  IMO

If it is then 15 should be better than 20 and 10 should be better than 15

I sure wish my employers would have decided that 26 weeks off per year would make me more productive.

PD's simulated RC post confused me a little, I am little skeptical that he accounted for all the changes correctly.  Like omitting RC points for events that conflict with the Rolex events etc.  
yes it is hard to prove either way... But your other analogy is totally off base . IMO there's a sweet spot for most of the better players these days somewhere around 20-25 "official" events. That's enough to stay in reasonably good playing form, but not so many they're wearing themselves out.  So 15 is not better than 20, and 10 not better than 15.

IMO a great example of what happens to these players is in the run they make between the Open and the Tour Championship (and RC or PC for a lot of them).  They play so many big events in a compressed time frame and it wears a lot of them out. I think when they say that, they're being truthful, so I can accept it.

Golf at a professional level is an entirely different animal than a desk job.  So much different I don't even know how to begin to address it.

But good point on Pd's analysis. You're in contact with him. Have you asked him if he tried to take all those factors into account?  My guess is his intent was to study it from a points distribution standpoint. And did so with an understanding that how a player would have adjusted  his past schedule due to new rules... and what his results might have been in events he didn't play... can't possibly be accurately calculated.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 2:16 am

IMO, Players do have a conflict of interest. They are spoiled and make so much money that they need to work as frequently. Rickie Fowler went from playing every tournament possible in his rookie year to playing a more limited schedule. IMO, mainly because he could.

We're going no where in this argument, you have your opinions and I have mine.

I am not in that much contact with PD. I pick and choose my times to question him (like the Flagship status of SA Open). Question the simulation of his RC analysis is something that requires more than 144 characters and I am not an email buddy with him.

I just don't think it can be simulated with any accuracy as players will adjust their schedule accordingly to the RC Qualification.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jan 2017, 2:36 am

GPB... upon further reflection on the new RC rule that a player's points earned in an opposite event don't count on the RC "World" points list, I've had a thought... It appears to me this is an entirely short sighted (and BS) attempt to control the dual Tour players schedules even more than they've tried to in the past. This is potentially way MORE onerous on the top-tier dual tour player and his ability to make his own schedule than any prior scheme the ET has tried.

They're basically saying to all that American based Euro crew... "If you value playing on the RC... you WILL come back and play these events that we tell you to play, because if you play anything else instead you're wasting your time" Last year they did it with just 1 (French Open vs WGC Bridgestone) but now they're doing it with EIGHT times as many? I doubt this has entirely sunk in on the American based Euro players yet, but I believe it will and they won't take too kindly to it

I don't know exactly how it's gonna happen... but I predict this ends up somehow backfiring with an "unintended consequence" on the ET, and ends up causing as much or more controversy than the Casey/Knox thing did this past year. For example... what happens if a Gonzo or a Seamus Power knock off 2-3 PGAT wins in evens that are OPPOSITE Rolex Series events and fall short on the "world points" list...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:00 am

robo,
Agree 100% about the "opposite events". Unnecessary protectionism.

Crenshaw hopelessly adrift in Hawaii.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:47 am

Opposite field events to Rolex series - if wrap around season stays the same*.

BMW PGA - Dean & DeLuca Invitational
Open de France - Quicken Loans National
Irish Open - Greenbrier Classic
Scottish Open - John Deere
Italian Open - Safeway*
Turkish Open - Shriners*
Nedbank - OHL*
Tour Championship - RSM*

I know that Justin Rose has played and won the Quicken Loans, but do the other top Euro players attend the other events?
Then if the Rolex series continues for several years under the same conditions - i.e. not playing in opposite field events, what happens about the rule on the PGA Tour that you must play an event once in every four years? (Or have I misunderstood?)

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:48 am

A better way to slightly favour European based players over those in the US would be to flip what list is prioritised.  If the same top 4 or so players occupy the top spots on both the Euro and World lists (which often seems to happen) you end up giving positions to those on the world list who just missed out (usually US based players) instead of Players who usually play in Europe exclusively who just missed out on the Euro list.

For example last years team would have been

From World List

Stenson
Rory
Willett
Sergio

From Euro List

Wood
Sulli
Fitzpatrick
RCB
kjeldson (8th on Euro list)

Rose Swaps with Soren.

In the past I think the top four on both lists have been the same, meaning spot 9 on the Euro list gets in. Not a massive change but it could get an extra spot or two for Euro tour full timers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:08 am

kwinigolfer wrote:robo,
Agree 100% about the "opposite events". Unnecessary protectionism.

Crenshaw hopelessly adrift in Hawaii.
Kwini... Yep, at first the possible effects of the "opposite policy" hadn't sunk in, but as INW listed the potential opposite events to the Rolex series and glancing through those fields the last few years, the possibility of some good potential Euro's RC'ers getting the "world points shaft" is a bit more likely than I might have thought.  Rose of course and the other most notable seems to be Knox as he plays a LOT in those events.   But others like Blixt, Franny, Seamus Power & Jon Rahm could be potential future "victims" as well.   Not saying all those guys are high on anybody's RC hopeful list... but a year from now we have no clue who's gonna be playing great and who's not.

Bottom line:  I've touched on this topic before... but once again this appears to be a bit of a "knee-jerk" reaction by Pelley.  Again, I like the overall direction he's going, but I question if all the details of this has really been thought through.  I heard him say something to the effect of "this has been in serious discussion for 3 weeks"... HUH?  Just 3-weeks?  IMO something like this little protectionist "throw in" has a LOT of potential ramifications that begs letting it simmer on the burner a little longer than 3-weeks. And what's the hurry?  Points won't be accruing until next fall anyway.

IMO this has FAR greater and possibly much more onerous ramifications for top ET players than say the new "must play a new event every 4 years" regulation on the PGA Tour.  But the approach on the PGAT was NOT to rush it until they had a chance to digest all the possible ramifications.  But Pelley's modus operandi seems to be more of: "Announce/Implement it first, think it through later". Not unlike the failed Asian Tour merger...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:34 am

I'm never wrong wrote:Opposite field events to Rolex series - if wrap around season stays the same*.

Italian Open - Safeway*
Turkish Open - Shriners*
Nedbank - OHL*
Tour Championship - RSM*

I know that Justin Rose has played and won the Quicken Loans, but do the other top Euro players attend the other events?
Then if the Rolex series continues for several years under the same conditions - i.e. not playing in opposite field events, what happens about the rule on the PGA Tour that you must play an event once in every four years? (Or have I misunderstood?)
I don't think you've misunderstood... But since at least some of those 8 PGAT events are likely candidates for an ET player to use fulfilling his "new event" requirement, they've become more of a Hobson's Choice for a potential Ryder cupper.

Last edited by robopz on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 1:07 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Opposite field events to Rolex series - if wrap around season stays the same*.

Italian Open - Safeway*
Turkish Open - Shriners*
Nedbank - OHL*
Tour Championship - RSM*

Those events are not well frequented by Top double dippers. IJP has played the Dean&Deluca recently, because he doesn't like Wentworth. Rose, Westy, Rory have played Safeway, but only because they had to because of the Turkey exhibition a few years back.

I thought the PGATour rule was that you had to play a new regular event every year, not that you had to play every event every four years.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jan 2017, 1:56 pm

GPB wrote:
I thought the PGATour rule was that you had to play a new regular event every year, not that you had to play every event every four years.
Oops... Yes you are correct... I glossed right over that. In theory a player could set up a "rota" of 4 events, play them in order, but just one each year for the rest of his career and fulfill the requirement. Or he could play 25 other events and be exempt from the rule.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jan 2017, 2:08 pm

GPB wrote:Those events are not well frequented by Top double dippers.  IJP has played the Dean&Deluca recently, because he doesn't like Wentworth.  Rose, Westy, Rory have played Safeway, but only because they had to because of the Turkey exhibition a few years back.
my guess is this new rule has more potential effect on possible future Ryder Cuppers like Knox, Laird and possibly guys like Rahm & Power depending on how they approach future ET membership. Those kinds of guys are much more likely to play a lot of the fall events, and 4 of them are in conflict with Rolex series.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 3:25 pm

robopz wrote:  Or he could play 25 other events and be exempt from the rule.

More like

"....he could play 25 other events and be exempt from the rule..."

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:46 pm

Anyone knows the pre-tourney odds on Kaymer?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 21 Jan 2017, 2:33 pm

Has any player from the UK ever moved up into the OWGR top-25 as quietly as Tyrell Hatton? Only 25 years old... Nice looking player

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 22 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

robopz wrote:Has any player from the UK ever moved up into the OWGR top-25 as quietly as Tyrell Hatton? Only 25 years old... Nice looking player

Robo Kiss of Death extends to the EuroTour.

Korean Younghan Song has stealthily entered the Top 100 and tied for 2nd this week in Singapore, should move up to about 70th.

Edit: Fleetwood should move up to about 55th in the OWGR after his win. Dustin is about 0.25 pt behind Rory. I don't think Dustin can catch Jason Day next week in San Diego.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 22 Jan 2017, 1:01 pm

GPB wrote:Robo Kiss of Death extends to the EuroTour.
Ouch... I sure put the hex on that guy didn't I? Sheesh... Anyway... I still think he's a keeper in the long run.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 22 Jan 2017, 1:21 pm

Great to see Tommy Fleetwood complete his return to the winners enclosure - he was in terrific form at the end of last year without winning, looked to have gone walkabout for 12 months before that.

Hatton played well at the top level last year, he'll bounce back.

Kaymer at 21 owgr-scoring events, and counting!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 23 Jan 2017, 9:09 am

Good win for Fleetwood - always liked his swing. Shocking attendance at the event in the final round and most of the attendees seemed to be ex-pat Euros. Clearly golf is massive in Abu Dhabi with its big historical pedigree and all....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 23 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Shocking attendance at the event in the final round and most of the attendees seemed to be ex-pat Euros. Clearly golf is massive in Abu Dhabi with its big historical pedigree and all....

If I was a trillionaire, or even "just" a multi-billionaire, I would build a championship course in my back garden, host a ET event, pay big appearance fees to get top notch talent to play in my back garden, and then only invite my mates to watch.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 23 Jan 2017, 12:51 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Good win for Fleetwood - always liked his swing. Shocking attendance at the event in the final round and most of the attendees seemed to be ex-pat Euros. Clearly golf is massive in Abu Dhabi with its big historical pedigree and all....

It looked as if there 500,00 there to me.
1.5 million attended a Dallas Stars NHL game last night . . . . . .
http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/dallas-stars-spoof-trump-inauguration-attendance-stat-012217

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 23 Jan 2017, 2:09 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Shocking attendance at the event in the final round and most of the attendees seemed to be ex-pat Euros. Clearly golf is massive in Abu Dhabi with its big historical pedigree and all....

If I was a trillionaire, or even "just" a multi-billionaire, I would build a championship course in my back garden, host a ET event, pay big appearance fees to get top notch talent to play in my back garden, and then only invite my mates to watch.
Yep. Don't have much of a problem with that. Still looks scheiss on TV though.
Guess the ET needs money from somewhere, but I'm not sure going along with what are essentially Gulf vanity projects is the way to go - hardly looks like it's "growing the game". Still, I guess if you sell broadcast rights to Sky, you need the extra income.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 23 Jan 2017, 2:09 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Good win for Fleetwood - always liked his swing. Shocking attendance at the event in the final round and most of the attendees seemed to be ex-pat Euros. Clearly golf is massive in Abu Dhabi with its big historical pedigree and all....

It looked as if there 500,00 there to me.
1.5 million attended a Dallas Stars NHL game last night . . . . . .
http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/dallas-stars-spoof-trump-inauguration-attendance-stat-012217
OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 23 Jan 2017, 6:48 pm

Rory is NOT playing Dubai next week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:07 pm

Sunday is normal working day in Abu Dhabi. More people watching on Saturday.

I'd rather see the sheikhs up the purse rather than dish out hefty appeance fees.

Couldn't the desert swing fit in the Rolex Series somehow? Those guys should love Rolex. And they clearly have the budget. I know Dubai DC is with Omega but still.

Last edited by pedro on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next