The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

+27
dynamark
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
NedB-H
beninho
Shotrock
Humpyd
AlciG
LadyPutt
EmmDee57
navyblueshorts
GPB
robopz
MontysMerkin
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
puligny
Faldono1fan
JAS
super_realist
pedro
raycastleunited
Be_the_ball
I'm never wrong
sirbenson
31 posters

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship - Page 10 Empty European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

Post by sirbenson Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Selected Tee Times

Last edited by sirbenson on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:21 am; edited 19 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship - Page 10 Empty Re: European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

Post by sirbenson Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 am

What on earth happened to Andres Romero over the years? He was (is) such a huge talent?!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship - Page 10 Empty Re: European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:56 am

Got tangled up in unfulfilled expectations I reckon sirb; some top class results but few and very far between.
Breaking his hand on a hole marker sign at a critical moment a couple of years ago resulted in him losing his card, and that was the end of any American dream.
Should probably never have left Europe, seemingly much more comfortable in more cosmopolitan company.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:38 am

expecting Mac to wade in talking about unsuccessful double dippers any minute now Smile

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 am

Hend

On a serious note, do you think double dipping could have contributed to Romero's difficult spell?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:33 am

Wasn't he in a car crash Mac? or simply not being good enough over a prolonged period of time might have been the case.

Most players only have a few seasons before disappearing with the occasional brief resurgence.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:35 am

I don't believe Romero maintained his European Tour membership. Did he? Certainly not since 2010.

So Mac, On a serious note:
How could it "have contributed to Romero's difficult spell"?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:56 am

I heard that Romero was a sponsors invite - good choice.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 am

Romero was 837th on the OWGR before his win. It just shows the depth of the ET.. (cough cough)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:47 am

super_realist wrote: Wasn't he in a car crash Mac?
Probably in a BMW -- which would explain his sponsors invite..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:59 am

pedro wrote:Romero was 837th on the OWGR before his win. It just shows the depth of the ET.. (cough cough)

Except he beat two of the last four Major winners . . . . . . .

Previous comments on Romero still apply!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Have been looking at this week's field, plus the "Irish" and "Scottish" and can't find many Americans - no PGA Tour members in Paris or Portstewart, just Fowler, Kuchar & Cink in Scotland.

Does that mean that appearance fees have been nixed for Rolex Series events? Or just lack of interest in "abroad" in the age of MAGA??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:51 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Have been looking at this week's field, plus the "Irish" and "Scottish" and can't find many Americans - no PGA Tour members in Paris or Portstewart, just Fowler, Kuchar & Cink in Scotland.

Does that mean that appearance fees have been nixed for Rolex Series events? Or just lack of interest in "abroad" in the age of MAGA??

I see Patrick Reed and Jason Dufner in Scotland.

Not an American, but Adam Scott is also having a Busman's holiday in Scotland.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:48 am

Missed Reed, forgot about Dufner, but still . . . . . no-one playing in Paris which, given the better ones will be there next year, is almost shocking.
Maybe they've been reading the latest presidential reviews of Paris?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:55 am

How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm after they've seen Paree?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:30 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Missed Reed, forgot about Dufner, but still . . . . . no-one playing in Paris which, given the better ones will be there next year, is almost shocking.

Not sure why you would expect a American to cross the pond twice in three weeks.

As prep to the Ryder Cup in 2018?
To maybe get the benefit of a doubt from Furyk for a Captain's Pick?

There are 7 million dollar tournaments every week, an hour or two hour flight away. Without any custom's issues. It's a holiday weekend for Americans.

Sorry, don't see the French Open as a "must play" tournament for American golfers.

And I don't see some of the leading Euro RC Stalwarts playing this week.

No Rory
No Henrik
No Rose
No Sergio

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 am

. . . . . but they all know the course.

The only reason I bring it up is that I can't remember a recent Open De France without a couple of Americans playing, tho not sure about last year.
And no-one in Ireland either?

Some of us have had "to cross the pond" three times in three weeks, several times in many cases - hardly a hardship, especially as these guys could cadge first class anytime they want, or go private. Customs not exactly an "issue".

MAGA

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:54 am

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Missed Reed, forgot about Dufner, but still . . . . . no-one playing in Paris which, given the better ones will be there next year, is almost shocking.

Not sure why you would expect a American to cross the pond twice in three weeks.

As prep to the Ryder Cup in 2018?
To maybe get the benefit of a doubt from Furyk for a Captain's Pick?

There are 7 million dollar tournaments every week, an hour or two hour flight away.  Without any custom's issues.  It's a holiday weekend for Americans.  

Sorry, don't see the French Open as a "must play" tournament for American golfers.

And I don't see some of the leading Euro RC Stalwarts playing this week.  

No Rory
No Henrik
No Rose
No Sergio

Yeah, we're 'Murcans god dam it. We don't cross the pond twice in 3 weeks for no sucker. Rolling Eyes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 am

Yeah, we'll we're Brits and we demand ALL share our perspective of things. (Although, we secretly lament the decline of the Empire.)

Wink

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:22 am

kwinigolfer wrote: . . . . . but they all know the course.

The only reason I bring it up is that I can't remember a recent Open De France without a couple of Americans playing, tho not sure about last year.
And no-one in Ireland either?

Some of us have had "to cross the pond" three times in three weeks, several times in many cases - hardly a hardship, especially as these guys could cadge first class anytime they want, or go private. Customs not exactly an "issue".

MAGA

No US PGATour pros in 2016
No US PGATour Pros in 2015
One US PGATour Pro in 2014 (Kevin Stadler)
One US PGATour Pro in 2013 (Matt Kuchar)

http://www.owgr.com/en/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventid=5210
http://www.owgr.com/en/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventid=5602
http://www.owgr.com/en/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventid=5889
http://www.owgr.com/en/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventid=6271

Crossing the pond might have been requirement for working stiffs, but it is not a requirement for Golf Pros. There is not a compelling reason why the French Open is a "Must Play" tournament. And don't forget, A non-Euro PGAtour has to get a release to play the French Open.

Obviously a not an American, but Hideki is playing the Irish Open

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:53 am

Shotrock wrote:Yeah, we'll we're Brits and we demand ALL share our perspective of things. (Although, we secretly lament the decline of the Empire.)

Wink

No one is saying that at all SR, however. If an American was wanting to prepare to have a good Open, then they might do worse than travel to play Paris, , Oirish Open, Scottish Open and then Open? Just an idea.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:09 am

Was a time great players went around the world to play national opens. Oh how times have changed - for the worse!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:17 am

super_realist wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Yeah, we'll we're Brits and we demand ALL share our perspective of things. (Although, we secretly lament the decline of the Empire.)

Wink

No one is saying that at all SR, however. If an American was wanting to prepare to have a good Open, then they might do worse than travel to play Paris, , Oirish Open, Scottish Open and then Open? Just an idea.

A US PGATour only gets 3 unrestricted releases from PGATour events per year. If he plays these events, he would be able to play competing events in the Middle East, or Australia or Japan, etc.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:26 am

I didn't mean he had to play all four, but take a pick.

Playing the same old dreary paint by numbers courses on the PGA must get tiresome sometimes, even for players with no adventure or sense of culture.

Who knows, it might even improve their game to play on different types of courses and weather conditions.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:40 am

GPB,
Certainly the trips to Paris haven't been as frequent as I'd thought, but you've also missed a few, three Top Tens by Steele alone, Troy Merritt last year, Bubba (and his iconic travelogue) & Slocum a few years ago etc.
Must admit, I'd read a story about Ryan Palmer, Edmundson, Frazar and their wives doing a fairly recent European trip prior to The Open, including Paris - hadn't occurred to me they'd not played en France.

Anyway, my original question, and it was only a question, was why not more? You've answered it, don't want to travel, holiday weekend, all the usual stuff. Thanks. And those ME, Oz, Japan trips, longer than crossing the "pond" are possibly more lucrative. So be it.

NB: Not sure the Hideki connection but still.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:57 am

Does a mega rich golfer have to care about "holiday weekends"? Doubt it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:34 am

I have watched the French Open for many years now. It looks pretty similar to the "paint by numbers" courses in USA.

There is no way I would classify it as "unique" like a Ballybunion.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:15 am

For what it's worth Kwini, I don't think Kuchar or Reed was on the entry list when I checked Friday....so maybe more will add it to their schedule late on

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:31 am

super_realist wrote:Does a mega rich golfer have to care about "holiday weekends"? Doubt it.

Not everyone in the family is "mega-rich". 4th of July week a good time to re-connect with siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:05 am

[quote="GPB"]
super_realist wrote:Does a mega rich golfer have to care about "holiday weekends"? Doubt it.

GPB: "Not everyone in the family is "mega-rich".  4th of July week a good time to re-connect with siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles."

Perhaps we'll see you in N.VT, though not exactly the Angel From Montgomery . . . . . . . . . ?

Have to say, and purely as an alien, US holidays couldn't be more boring. No cricket, no race meetings, no booze ups down the pub, no nuffink. Don't want no siblings, no cousins (wouldn't recognize 'em), aunts and uncles comprehensively dead. P1ss poor fireworks, then ump-a-pahs from the Capital. Load of b0ll0cks.

Much prefer an afternoon at Towcester followed by a Stilton Ploughmans at The Bell (guess where) on the way back home.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:34 am

super_realist wrote:I didn't mean he had to play all four, but take a pick.

Playing the same old dreary paint by numbers courses on the PGA must get tiresome sometimes, even for players with no adventure or sense of culture.

Who knows, it might even improve their game to play on different types of courses and weather conditions.

I've been to the French Open and the course is no different to what we see on the PGA Tour.

Since the Scottish Open switched to links courses, the idea of playing it as a warm up to the Open seems to be gaining traction.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:39 am

I wonder what the effect of Trump Aberdeen  being touted for 2018 Scottish Open will have on the travel plans on the bible bashing, republican, stupidly named American golfers next year?

Maybe even see that plank Gayson Murray play if he googles what a passport is.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
GPB wrote:

GPB: "Not everyone in the family is "mega-rich".  4th of July week a good time to re-connect with siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles."

Perhaps we'll see you in N.VT, though not exactly the Angel From Montgomery . . . . . . . . . ?

Have to say, and purely as an alien, US holidays couldn't be more boring. No cricket, no race meetings, no booze ups down the pub, no nuffink. Don't want no siblings, no cousins (wouldn't recognize 'em), aunts and uncles comprehensively dead. P1ss poor fireworks, then ump-a-pahs from the Capital. Load of b0ll0cks.

Much prefer an afternoon at Towcester followed by a Stilton Ploughmans at The Bell (guess where) on the way back home.

Dad has quit commuting from Florida<=>Vt. Closer to 100 yrs old than 90 yrs old, and a nearly blind wife, the trip has become too much for him. Understandable.

As far as Holidays, I guess that is why they make different flavors of ice cream

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:10 am

Good luck with your parents GPB, tell them to avoid Venus Williams when on those Florida roads.

Thomas Aiken birdies his first six holes en Paris - imagine that must be some sort of record. Another who seems to reserve his worst work for the USA, though I believe he has a pad here.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:51 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
no-one playing in Paris which, given the better ones will be there next year, is almost shocking.

They all play Sawgrass every year, that's good enough prep for Le Golf National. And off the course there's plenty of "McDo" branches in Paris, just need to remember that a Quarter pounder is a known as a Royale and the "frites" aren't French. Vive la difference!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:24 am

I would've thought that the allure of 'French fries' would be enough for US players to come over.

Driving in Florida seems to have become a zigzag inbetween over-the-hill sport stars..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:33 am

The Golden Bib

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:11 am

He looks like a waitress at a cheap diner.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:44 pm

French food never did much for me. (Italian much more to my liking.)

This course, on TV at least, looks like so many US PGA venues.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:31 am

Course seems to play ok but is much changed over recent years. Where has the gorse gone? Used to play fast and firm, much like a links. Appears to have been softened up - I know they've had rain for a day or 2, but Paris was scorched earth just a few days ago. Major changes - reckon my preference was version 1! Hey ho! I agree it has lost its signature!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 am

Spent a bit of time this week watching European Am at Walton Heath. Fantastic standard. Made a point of following local players - Ellis, Gregory, Singh Brar and Mackenzie, and they produced some good stuff. Notable USA Rep was Sean Crocker- started poorly but saw enough to be impressed. Witnessed most of a young German fella, Mathias Schmidt, knock it round in -9, and it looked easy! Talking to a couple of German and Danish coaches, and they commented on how similar many of the playing styles/swings are nowadays. Both said they would love to see a Walton Heath type course at home.
Interesting comparison to be made where the two courses intersect with almost adjacent tees. Members out on New Course, displaying "our swings" while nearby +handicap golfers were pounding the living daylights out of it with little noticeable effort.
The world rankings confirm the fact, but Robert Macintyre from Scotland is some player, and there were very strong Irish and Italian contingents, as well as English. Few from Wales including David Boote playing his home course, but not scoring to match his play.
They seemed to be playing ready golf, at least in some groups. We were amazed to see one Swedish lad take it to the extreme - teeing off as playing partners walked from green to tee, and then marching straight down the fairway. He seemed to finish holes while playing partners were still thinking about their second shots, then just made his way to next tee, and off again!
Overall fabulous event.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:34 am

I hope the Ryder Cup goes back to Walton Heath someday. I've played both the Old and New numerous times. Old perhaps a bit harder, but not by much IMO. Thanks for the onsite report!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:35 am

Just checked scores from final day, and Englishman Alfie Plant has won in a 3 way play off with two Italian players. 72 hole score was -15.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:00 am

Alfies are on the rise in England these days . . . . . .

I love how the less traditionally golf-centric European countries are breeding more top players, quite the explosion from Italy for instance, and now a top young Belgian every two or three years. More to come I'm sure.

Ready golf: Isn't that what Duval did at The Country Club in 1999??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:23 am

Scandis were much in evidence. We all hear stories about watching particular players on the range and how their ball striking is superior, often making a different sound than others? If he makes it, look out for John Axelsen from Denmark. Small and slight chap, but incomparable ball striking. We saw him hit into a par 5 and he was so far ahead of others assumed he had been in trouble and was playing 3. No - turned out to be the result of his tee shot, and we watched his group hit off the next tee we were gobsmacked! Genuinely never seen or heard anything like it. Chatted to one of the Danish coaches about him, and he basically said they don't like to heap pressure on youngsters, but yes he does crush it!
R&A seem to think ready golf is the panacea for stoke play - personally not so sure though there was some evidence of it being used sensibly. Overall was quite impressed with the pace of play - players seemed to get on with it, walked quickly, and the vast majority appeared to be enjoying the experience.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:15 pm

puligny wrote:Course seems to play ok but is much changed over recent years. Where has the gorse gone? Used to play fast and firm, much like a links. Appears to have been softened up - I know they've had rain for a day or 2, but Paris was scorched earth just a few days ago. Major changes - reckon my preference was version 1! Hey ho! I agree it has lost its signature!

How long ago was it links like? I went to the French Open 20 years ago and it was very much a parkland layout.

Re Walton Heath, it's been on my must play list for a long time now. But recently a friend told me it was rubbish (relatively) compared to other courses in the same bracket such as Sunningdale and St George's Hill. He was very under whelmed. What are your thoughts?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Paris National was lined with bright yellow gorse at this time of year until very recently. The course was known to play hard and fast - I certainly recall McD winning a few years ago and it was links in everything but location. I also recal seeing Jean V a few years ago talking about their plans to get the Ryder Cup and subsequently make major adjustments to the course. There is no doubt it is now a much more manicured facility than previously. There was some rain this weekend, but when you think how hot it was just a few days prior to the event, I reckon in past years the course would have been unrecognisable from this weeks. That's not said by way of complaint though I do think it has lost something of its previous identity.

Walton Heath - I've been luck to play both several times and I love them. Took me a while to get used to them, and they are different from tHe courses you mentioned. The overall terrain is much more open, and picking a line can be a real challenge - not so much blind shots as obscure! Hope that makes some sense? Lots of heather, incredible spongy turf and fabulous greens. I could certainly understand WH not being to everyone's taste, pretty much as links might not be, but my appreciation has grown with every playing and every time I've been to watch (Seniors Open, US Open Qualifier several times and latterly European Am). I could happily play there and nowhere else!
The others you've mentioned are in my estimation fabulous, but despite the heathland similarity present differently. Sunningdale has a lot more trees - the new course is more manicured and the old more characterful. A real treat, but you have to see WH to recognise the difference. Pal I went with last week reminded me of a comment about RND, where from the clubhouse you look out and take it on trust there is a golf course out there. WH similar but probably less extreme.
I certainly wouldn't put anyone off any of them, unless they were taking my place!!! Cheers

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:32 am

Thanks Puligny, Walton Heath back on my list! I like courses where the terrain is more open - I'm a much bigger fan of the New course at Sunningdale than the Old.

ok I think I understand what you mean about links-like Paris. They did the same at the London club: when it hosted the European Open a few years ago it was fast and firm... I played the day after and the greens were so hard and fast that holding them required perfect ball striking. But then other times this course has been soft eg when it hosted the matchplay a couple of years ago. I've often seen this referred to as "inland links" although I'm not sure it is accurate. Maybe US Open style is better?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:41 am

apart from the weather difference is pretty much explained by the amount of water poured onto the course, and in the case of Paris National stripping out gorse etc, which was its signature.
It's still on my must play list, just a bit further down than previously. If I was that side of Paris next week, I'd head for Fontainebleau in preference - oh and a superb lunch!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:58 am

Bit of an odd one.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2017/07/03/sabotaging-equipment-euro-tour-changing-driver-settings-105763/

Players adjustable equipment tampered with.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:09 am

I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't notice this immediately. If you change the settings of a driver or three wood, the grip is turned round.

Surely you'd notice this on the range before you even got near the first tee?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next