General Work out questions from a novice

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General Work out questions from a novice

Post by MIG on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 12:23 pm

Ok bit of back ground. I've lost about 3 stone over the last few years through diet and exercise and I am now at a perfect weight I am happy with.

I eat around 2000 ish maybe less calories per day.
I walk for an hour around 5 times a week.
I run 5k 2 maybe 3 times a week.
I do sit ups, press ups, bicep curls, shoulders and triceps 3-4 times a week.
((these consist of 6 sets of 30, 20, 40, 10, 10 respectively) weights are only 6kg each)

I've only been doing the weight exercises for 2-3 months. I can see a big difference in my biceps already and my shoulders look a little larger. Problem I have is the rest of my upper body doesn't really look like I work out. Will this just come with time? Do I not eat enough? Should I be training harder?

I'm trying not to be too specific. I don't really want to look like Arnie or anything I just want to look like I work out. Look fitter and stronger etc.

Thanks in advance OK

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:45 pm

MIG wrote:Ok bit of back ground.  I've lost about 3 stone over the last few years through diet and exercise and I am now at a perfect weight I am happy with.

I eat around 2000 ish maybe less calories per day.
I walk for an hour around 5 times a week.
I run 5k 2 maybe 3 times a week.
I do sit ups, press ups, bicep curls, shoulders and triceps 3-4 times a week.
((these consist of 6 sets of 30, 20, 40, 10, 10 respectively) weights are only 6kg each)

I've only been doing the weight exercises for 2-3 months.  I can see a big difference in my biceps already and my shoulders look a little larger.  Problem I have is the rest of my upper body doesn't really look like I work out.  Will this just come with time?  Do I not eat enough?  Should I be training harder?

I'm trying not to be too specific.  I don't really want to look like Arnie or anything I just want to look like I work out.  Look fitter and stronger etc.

Thanks in advance OK

With bodyweight exercises you can get in good shape. Like a trim boxer, or footballer, tennis player etc.

If you want to get bigger, you need to up the calories and cut down the cardio. Also if drug free, which I assume you are, heavy weights with compound exercises are the best way to get a decent size.

If you want any more specific advice just ask and I will help you as best I can.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by MIG on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:01 pm

Footballers physique would be absolutely fine for me.  They look fit, defined and slightly bigger than your average bloke.  So I may just continue as I am (probably need to be more patient), possibly make the weights a little heavier and increase the calories and protein slightly, but I quite enjoy the cardio as well as the weights so ideally would like to continue as much as I can.  

Cause basically I'm fairly happy with the way my shape is developing, I guess its the six pack that will take more time than the rest?

Thanks for your advice.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:19 pm

Don't bother with heavy weights. Also too high of protein is a lot of sh1t too.

Unless you're on a substantial amount of drugs, the body will only use so much. If you consume around 100-150g of protein that's more than enough.

Don't have carbs too low. If you're carb sensitive (like me), cycle your carb intake. Choose 2, or 3 days a week and go very low carbs like 70-100g a day. Other days just eat healthy amounts and often.

Building a physique does take time, but if you do it right, you will see changes sooner, rather than later.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm

6 pack is diet and genetics. Just drop your body fat and once you get down to a low percentage they will be there. For some this will be 12%, but for most, it will most likely be around 10%.

I have never seen anyone with that bodyfat level, that doesn't have good abs.

Also don't worry about doing overload of ab exercises. Abs really are made in the kitchen.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by MIG on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 4:08 pm

Now I think I'm out of my depth? How do I know my body fat level?
I am not planning on having loads of protein, literally just introduce a little here and there to help a bit. I have a fair amount of carbs cause I'm a good weight and also exercising loads so I don't want to lose any other weight. Apart from this body fat of course?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 7:41 pm

You're not out of your depth. Just eat less carbs a day or two a week and eat/drink little junk for a bit.

If you continue what you're doing, you will be ripped.

If someone eats good 90% of the time, they will be in great shape.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by GeordieFalcon on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:23 am

I agree with Adam...if you want a leaner cut look...stick with body weight stuff and high cardio.

Lots of Press ups, Dips, Handstand press ups and Pull ups will be more than enough for you upper body. Squats for the lower half.

Lots of circuit training...tabata style etc..

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:08 pm

if you want to get bigger you need to eat more. And if you want those extra calories to turn to muscle you need to lift weights.

break your gym sessions into muscle groups so work 1 or 2 muscle groups each visit. I tend to do biceps and triceps on a Monday, chest and legs on a Tuesday, shoulders and abs on a Wednesday and back on a Thursday and I have Friday and Saturday off, then repeat the routine so I would then do biceps and triceps on a sunday etc etc


Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:08 am

Following a body building 3/4 day split might put on more muscle and size than he wants.

He could do a powerlifting 2/3 day programme or a full bodyweight only workout 3 days per week.

Either way he needs to be doing quite a bit of circuit training and high rep clean and jerk style training.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:00 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Following a body building 3/4 day split might put on more muscle and size than he wants.  

He could do a powerlifting 2/3 day programme or a full bodyweight only workout 3 days per week.

Either way he needs to be doing quite a bit of circuit training and high rep clean and jerk style training.

2 days strength training and 2 days circuits would do him good.

Hit the upper body one day, then the lower the next. If someone done the above and ate around-2500-3000 calories of good clean food, they would be in good shape. Walking an hour every day wouldn't do any harm either.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by kingraf on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:26 am

first get your vitamins and minerals right.
Then start looking at your macros.
avatar
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16047
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 22
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:32 am

kingraf wrote:first get your vitamins and minerals right.
Then start looking at your macros.

If he eats a clean diet his vitamins will be grand. Only vitamin I take is D. Not a big believer in supplements, unless someone needs them for health reasons. That is obviously different.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by kingraf on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 12:11 pm

AdamT wrote:
kingraf wrote:first get your vitamins and minerals right.
Then start looking at your macros.

If he eats a clean diet his vitamins will be grand. Only vitamin I take is D. Not a big believer in supplements, unless someone needs them for health reasons. That is obviously different.

Expensive urine my lecturer calls them. I wasnt suggesting he buy multivites, but rather makes sure he gets his vitamins and minerals in before trying to get his protein right
avatar
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16047
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 22
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

kingraf wrote:
AdamT wrote:
kingraf wrote:first get your vitamins and minerals right.
Then start looking at your macros.

If he eats a clean diet his vitamins will be grand. Only vitamin I take is D. Not a big believer in supplements, unless someone needs them for health reasons. That is obviously different.

Expensive urine my lecturer calls them. I wasnt suggesting he buy multivites, but rather makes sure he gets his vitamins and minerals in before trying to get his protein right

Fair point.

Good balanced diet goes a long way. If someone isn't on drugs, or a pro athlete I don't think extreme amounts of protein is required. The supplement companies lead people to believe they need loads of protein to recover, so they can flog their fart powder to unsuspecting people with more money than sense.

This isn't aimed at you KingRaf, just when I got thinking about supplements and how much money people waste on these products.

If I was advising a natural gym goer, I would tell them to get a good fish oil and maybe a multi vitamin if required. All the other crap is not required.


AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by MIG on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 2:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I eat a pretty healthy and well balanced diet most of the time anyway, but especially so at the moment. Certainly no drugs. I do take vitamin c, and multi vits with iron, but have done that for years unrelated to this.

Feel fairly good at the moment doing 3 cardio days and 3 weight days and seeing slow but fairly decent progress.

I have 4 months till my holiday so that's when I'm hoping the results start to show a little more.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 3:00 pm

MIG wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys.

I eat a pretty healthy and well balanced diet most of the time anyway, but especially so at the moment.  Certainly no drugs.  I do take vitamin c, and multi vits with iron, but have done that for years unrelated to this.

Feel fairly good at the moment doing 3 cardio days and 3 weight days and seeing slow but fairly decent progress.

I have 4 months till my holiday so that's when I'm hoping the results start to show a little more.

As long as you're training hard and eating clean, you will do well. Just don't expect to have the ripped look of many buff Hollywood stars. Won't be happening unless you have top genetics, or like to jab your glutes.

Diet is the key to it!

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by kingraf on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 3:07 pm

If I've been training a lot I'll take vitamins, but that's because I work in a hospital and there are some nasty bugs in there. training takes a lot out of you. You don't suddenly develop the immune system of an AIDS patient, but if working in a place where you will be exposed to potentially nasty bugs, it's nit bad to top up
avatar
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16047
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 22
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by MIG on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:34 pm

If I could always look like I do when I'm pumped post workout then I'd be happy!! If only it was that easy!

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by GeordieFalcon on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 1:21 pm

AdamT wrote:
kingraf wrote:
AdamT wrote:
kingraf wrote:first get your vitamins and minerals right.
Then start looking at your macros.

If he eats a clean diet his vitamins will be grand. Only vitamin I take is D. Not a big believer in supplements, unless someone needs them for health reasons. That is obviously different.

Expensive urine my lecturer calls them. I wasnt suggesting he buy multivites, but rather makes sure he gets his vitamins and minerals in before trying to get his protein right

Fair point.

Good balanced diet goes a long way. If someone isn't on drugs, or a pro athlete I don't think extreme amounts of protein is required. The supplement companies lead people to believe they need loads of protein to recover, so they can flog their fart powder to unsuspecting people with more money than sense.

This isn't aimed at you KingRaf, just when I got thinking about supplements and how much money people waste on these products.

If I was advising a natural gym goer, I would tell them to get a good fish oil and maybe a multi vitamin if required. All the other crap is not required.


Bang on. I take Optimal Nutritions Multivitamins and Nordic Naturals Fish oil.. Both packed with the goods I need. Aside from that a good diet!

I do have protein powder in the house...I have a shake occasionally, but the bottom line is a good diet!

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 1:24 pm

Geordie Falcon it's clear to see you are well clued up in training. You're no fool!

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

I disagree. Protein powders are in my life style a requirement. I haven't got time to sit down and have 6 meals a day in order to reach my target of 200g of protein per day.

Protein powders are high in protein and are easy to carry and easy to consume and create an easy way for me to reach my target of 200g of protein per day.

I would also add that a whey protein isolate or whey protein hydroslate will be broken down far quicker by your body and will be used to create proteinsynthesis far quicker by your muscles than eating a bit of chicken etc.

And finally protein powders are a cheaper way of getting protein into your body than food. I get optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein and for 73 servings it costs me about £40. it has 25g of protein per serving. so that basically equates to about £0.60 per drink. where else am I going to get a good quality protein 25g for 60p? not to mention the fact its quick to consume, quicker to digest etc etc

Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 3:29 pm

Musclular-mouse wrote:I disagree. Protein powders are in my life style a requirement. I haven't got time to sit down and have 6 meals a day in order to reach my target of 200g of protein per day.

Protein powders are high in protein and are easy to carry and easy to consume and create an easy way for me to reach my target of 200g of protein per day.

I would also add that a whey protein isolate or whey protein hydroslate will be broken down far quicker by your body and will be used to create proteinsynthesis far quicker by your muscles than eating a bit of chicken etc.

And finally protein powders are a cheaper way of getting protein into your body than food. I get optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein and for 73 servings it costs me about £40. it has 25g of protein per serving.  so that basically equates to about £0.60 per drink. where else am I going to get a good quality protein 25g for 60p? not to mention the fact its quick to consume, quicker to digest etc etc

Why do you need 200g a day? What REAL scientific evidence do you have? Also food is a much better source than whey. Is the amount of protein even accurate in these tubs?

If you think Whey isn't a scam and is a requirement, we can agree to disagree. I will save my money for more important items.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 6:08 pm

AdamT wrote:
Musclular-mouse wrote:I disagree. Protein powders are in my life style a requirement. I haven't got time to sit down and have 6 meals a day in order to reach my target of 200g of protein per day.

Protein powders are high in protein and are easy to carry and easy to consume and create an easy way for me to reach my target of 200g of protein per day.

I would also add that a whey protein isolate or whey protein hydroslate will be broken down far quicker by your body and will be used to create proteinsynthesis far quicker by your muscles than eating a bit of chicken etc.

And finally protein powders are a cheaper way of getting protein into your body than food. I get optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein and for 73 servings it costs me about £40. it has 25g of protein per serving.  so that basically equates to about £0.60 per drink. where else am I going to get a good quality protein 25g for 60p? not to mention the fact its quick to consume, quicker to digest etc etc

Why do you need 200g a day? What REAL scientific evidence do you have? Also food is a much better source than whey. Is the amount of protein even accurate in these tubs?

If you think Whey isn't a scam and is a requirement, we can agree to disagree. I will save my money for more important items.

200grams of protein is what I need as I eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight. I am actually about 210 lbs but yeh.

whey is not a scam, it is just a protein taken from milk/dairy and filtered to get rid of certain things so that it is high in protein and low in fat or carbs etc. It is digested quickly by the body which is why it is the go to protein for after your work out.

Whey protein is digested super fast by the body, and it is super cheap to buy. I can get 73 servings of whey so 73 drinks for about £40 that's about 60p per drink.

Like I said before it would be a hard task to eat 200g of protein a day if I just ate food. with protein supplements I can hit my target and control the amount of carbs or fat or calories I consume and just take in protein.



Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:58 pm

Fair enough mate, if it's good for you!

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by GeordieFalcon on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:53 am

Whey Protein Isolate is crazily expensive! Dymatize ISo1000 I think it is ....is about £70 a tub?? That'll probably last you a month!

The rest is pretty bog standard concentrate rubbish. I have ON Gold Standard in the house which I use very occasionally...but in all honest probably has zero function to me.

Im afraid im with Adam ...just get the diet sorted...

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:04 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Whey Protein Isolate is crazily expensive! Dymatize ISo1000 I think it is ....is about £70 a tub?? That'll probably last you a month!

The rest is pretty bog standard concentrate rubbish. I have ON Gold Standard in the house which I use very occasionally...but in all honest probably has zero function to me.

Im afraid im with Adam ...just get the diet sorted...

If you eat enough veg and good meat, everything falls into place.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 4:05 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Whey Protein Isolate is crazily expensive! Dymatize ISo1000 I think it is ....is about £70 a tub?? That'll probably last you a month!

The rest is pretty bog standard concentrate rubbish. I have ON Gold Standard in the house which I use very occasionally...but in all honest probably has zero function to me.

Im afraid im with Adam ...just get the diet sorted...

optimum nutrition gold standard whey is a very popular whey protein isolate and if you go on ebay you cab pick up a tub for £40 and it has 73 servings so its pretty cheap.

Whey protein is the fastest digesting protein of them all, that's why it is popular with gym goers because it gets into your body after a work out quicker than a bit of chicken for eg. Not to mention it is easier to carry around, will last longer and is CHEAPER.

If you want to gain muscle you need about a g of protein per lb of body weight daily. At the moment I get around 100g of protein daily through protein shakes and the rest with my meals (215g total). If I was to replace my protein shakes with food that would involve eating about 4 more chicken breasts a day. I don't fancy eating an extra 4 chicken breasts a day on top of my meals. Not to mention it would be awkward carrying it to work and messy eating it after the gym in the changing room.

But like I said protein supplements are there for that one reason, to SUPPLEMENT your diet. I couldn't possibly imagine eating 215g of protein a day from just food. The cost would be sky high too.

Whey protein is the fastest digesting protein available that means it gets into your muscles quicker for proteinsysthesis (rebuilding of muscles)

Whey protein is cheaper- costs me about 60p for whey protein isolate drink with 30g protein.

Whey protein is easier to carry around and consume than a chicken breast etc.


Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 4:19 pm

I Consume about 150g or so. Don't see any difference from 200+g, other than farting less.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 4:31 pm

AdamT wrote:I Consume about 150g or so. Don't see any difference from 200+g, other than farting less.

How much do you weigh? WHat is your target in the gym? how often do you go to the gym or exercise in general?

1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight has been a weight lifters rule of thumb for many years, and there has been quite a lot of research on the subject.

At my gym a while back I was speaking to one of the fitness instructors about different weight techniques to gain muscle and he told me its all in the diet, you need 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight. I thought it was super high and he told me that some people actually go for 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight. I couldn't imagine eating 8 chicken 10 chicken breasts a day which is why I use protein suppliments. I looked it up on bodybuilding websites and also looked at the research behind it and 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight has the best results in terms of gaining lean muscle.

Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 8:02 pm

100kg, 4 days a week. Get strong as hell.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 2:45 pm

If shakes work for you....It's all good..

High reps...low reps....Dips/Press...Squats/leg press..

Different ways to get to the same place....

All that matters is progress.

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 37154
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 7:44 pm

True,true!!

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by MIG on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 11:31 am

Ok another question about increasing weights.

Say for example I lift 10kg x 10 reps x 6 sets = 600
If I increase to 12kg x 8 reps x 6 sets = 576

Is that bad that overall its not as much even though its an increase in weight? Should I be doing the same reps and sets after the increase etc?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 11:56 am

What is your overall goal??


AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by MIG on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 12:31 pm

Honestly at this point I would like to keep slightly increasing the muscle size but possibly in a slightly shorter workout?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 12:43 pm

Train harder less rest. Forget about strength.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by MIG on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 12:59 pm

By that do you mean more weights or more reps and sets? Or both?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 1:27 pm

More sets. There is no right or wrong answer. Everyone has a natural genetic limit and most will hit it within a few years. That is for muscle size, but strength can be gained for a while after.

People can't accept their genetics, therefore turn to drugs eventually. I myself have been very close a few times, but I have decided to not bother. Couldn't give a f**k if I'm big, as long as I'm in decent nick and strong too.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Tue 11 Apr 2017, 10:27 pm

MIG wrote:Honestly at this point I would like to keep slightly increasing the muscle size but possibly in a slightly shorter workout?

If you just want size then try between 8-12 reps in each set. but you will have to eat a lot of food otherwise you will see no gains

Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Wed 10 May 2017, 12:35 pm

Again if you're natural, lift heavy (with good form) and go 5-10 reps.

Make the bulk of your workouts compound movements. Forget tricep kick backs and all that other sh1t.

If you want a good short workout, try heavy pressing and between sets, go and do pull ups or rows of some sort. Press heavy for the shoulders. Do heavy shrugs.

Do squats if you have no back/knee problems. If you do, go heavy on leg press, but make sure you go full range of motion.

Do Deadlifts, or partial deadlifts. Again you can substitute these for any heavy row movement.

You can do isolation, but heavy compound movements will bring you to your goal a lot faster. Lifting for high reps and the 'pump' really does little for a natural (a real natural, not these vvankers in fitness mag's and youtube).

Eat around 100-150g of protein and eat enough carbs and fats required to build your muscle. If you're a hardgainer eat more. If you gain easy, eat a little less.

If you want to train shorter, do the super sets like I recommend. Maybe do back and chest together, then shoulders and arms. Leave legs and core for another day.

Again you really don't need anymore than 3, or maybe 4 days a week training, especially if you're drug free.

If you are not drug free, ignore all the advice I give.

So to cut a long story short, lift heavy with good form and really tear down the fibres and never train any longer than an hour if you want to gain muscle.

I'm not a youtube celeb or a 'Personal trainer', but I know a lot about natural training.

A lot of your results will depend upon genetics and your natural hormones, but I have never seen anyone, that hasn't achieved a good body if they really work for it.


Last edited by AdamT on Wed 10 May 2017, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by sohotnot on Sun 21 May 2017, 5:38 pm

So are you saying don't bother with tricep and bicep exercises? A friend of mine who is a personal trainer has given me a workout, Lower body A, Upper body push, day off Lower body B, Upper body pull, day off, repeat. He has added some plyometrics & finishers as well, my only gripe is that on Upper body push day I have a lot of exercise to do due to the tricep stuff and would like to shorten the workouts in general.

sohotnot

Posts : 1426
Join date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by GeordieFalcon on Mon 22 May 2017, 3:28 pm

Curls for the girls.... Wink

I don't do much individual bicep or tricep work at all but then nearly ALL my weight training workout (3 times a week) is powerlifting based compound exercise. I do tons of pull ups and chin ups. Best arm exercise there is.

And loads of dips.

Current Workout
Monday - Squats and Bench, Pull ups and Dips (Wendler 5-3-1)
Tuesday - Thai Boxing
Wednesday - Prowler / Sled Hour session - Vomit inducing!
Thursday - Deadlifts and Sh press, Pull Ups and Dips (Wendler 5-3-1)
Friday - Accessory Exercises (Wendler 5-3-1)
Saturday - Prowler / Sled Hour session - Vomit inducing!


GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Mon 22 May 2017, 8:57 pm

of course you need to do bicep curls and tricep exercises if you want a well rounded body. All bodybuilders and weight lifters do these exercises.

I do bicep curls, hammer curls and chin ups for my biceps and sometimes barbell curl. Triceps I do dips and a few tricep extension exercises on the rope machine (forgot the name)

I would also add that depending on your weight a 100g of protein is not enough if youa re trying to pack on the muscle. Eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight so for me I eat about 200g of protein a day and I weigh about 215lbs

super easy to get protein in your body, I have 2 poached eggs for breakfast. about 11am I have a protein shake and a light snack. I go to the gym and finish about 1 where I have another protein shake, and after the gym (30 mins later)I have lunch where I have chicken breast or turkey breast or some kind of fish. about 3 30 I have a snack such as a protein bar or a flapjack or a boiled egg. 5 30 I have dinner and then just before I go to bed I have a casein protein shake.

so basically I have 3 meals a day with protein such as tuna or eggs or chicken. before my gym workout and after I have a protein shake and just before I go to bed I have a protein shake and I have a couple snacks throughout the day such as a boiled egg or a flapjack or a protein bar.

Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by GeordieFalcon on Tue 23 May 2017, 1:46 pm

I disagree that you need to do isolation exercises on your biceps and triceps.

I have big arms...that come from the heavy compound exercises through the years and from pull ups and dips.

I very rarely to curls or any form or of bicep work. Trust me...50-100 Pull ups / chins 3/4 times a week is more than enough! And develops genuine strength.....

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Wed 24 May 2017, 10:50 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I disagree that you need to do isolation exercises on your biceps and triceps.

I have big arms...that come from the heavy compound exercises through the years and from pull ups and dips.

I very rarely to curls or any form or of bicep work. Trust me...50-100 Pull ups / chins 3/4 times a week is more than enough! And develops genuine strength.....

but if you are doing 100 bicep reps (pull-ups) you will not get big because that many reps of anything will create toned but skinny muscles that are suited for endurance.

I would also add that training your biceps 4x a week is not good, and you will never grow because your muscles have no time to rest. If you overwork your muscles by training them too much eg training biceps 4x a week they cant recover and recovery is where your muscles get bigger and stronger.

Lots of reps = endurance training which is skinny and toned.

I would also add that relying solely on 1 particular bodyweight exercise for a certain muscle is not good for a number of reasons. The first being that your muscles get bored of the same exercises and kind of adapt to that exercise and wont grow. You need to shock your muscles with different exercises and techniques.

Also after a while of just doing chin ups for bicep exercises you will find that it becomes too easy as the weight is always the same (bodyweight) so theres no room to improve. Of course there are ways around this such as doing more reps but once again more reps does not =bigger muscles, it is the opposite and more reps =skinnier muscles.

You need a well balanced work out routine with isolation and compound exercises. When it comes to biceps do chin ups, 3 sets of say 8-10 but do bicep curls as well and hammer curls and bar bell curls and crucifex curls. Train your biceps twice a week and do 3 sets of exercises 8-10 reps if you want size and 3 different exercises from the ones I mentioned. mix up the exercises so you are not doing the same 3 every time you do biceps so that you can shock your muscles with new techniques.

Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Thu 25 May 2017, 12:14 pm

Musclular-mouse wrote:of course you need to do bicep curls and tricep exercises if you want a well rounded body. All bodybuilders and weight lifters do these exercises.

I do bicep curls, hammer curls and chin ups for my biceps and sometimes barbell curl. Triceps I do dips and a few tricep extension exercises on the rope machine (forgot the name)

I would also add that depending on your weight a 100g of protein is not enough if youa re trying to pack on the muscle. Eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight so for me I eat about 200g of protein a day and I weigh about 215lbs

super easy to get protein in your body, I have 2 poached eggs for breakfast. about 11am I have a protein shake and a light snack. I go to the gym and finish about 1 where I have another protein shake, and after the gym (30 mins later)I have lunch where I have chicken breast or turkey breast or some kind of fish. about 3 30 I have a snack such as a protein bar or a flapjack or a boiled egg. 5 30 I have dinner and then just before I go to bed I have a casein protein shake.

so basically I have 3 meals a day with protein such as tuna or eggs or chicken. before my gym workout and after I have a protein shake and just before I go to bed I have a protein shake and I have a couple snacks throughout the day such as a boiled egg or a flapjack or a protein bar.

I don't agree with you. You do not NEED 1g per pound. Especially if natural. That is rubbish and there is plenty of scientific evidence to proof this, if you want to google it.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Thu 25 May 2017, 12:41 pm

AdamT wrote:
Musclular-mouse wrote:of course you need to do bicep curls and tricep exercises if you want a well rounded body. All bodybuilders and weight lifters do these exercises.

I do bicep curls, hammer curls and chin ups for my biceps and sometimes barbell curl. Triceps I do dips and a few tricep extension exercises on the rope machine (forgot the name)

I would also add that depending on your weight a 100g of protein is not enough if youa re trying to pack on the muscle. Eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight so for me I eat about 200g of protein a day and I weigh about 215lbs

super easy to get protein in your body, I have 2 poached eggs for breakfast. about 11am I have a protein shake and a light snack. I go to the gym and finish about 1 where I have another protein shake, and after the gym (30 mins later)I have lunch where I have chicken breast or turkey breast or some kind of fish. about 3 30 I have a snack such as a protein bar or a flapjack or a boiled egg. 5 30 I have dinner and then just before I go to bed I have a casein protein shake.

so basically I have 3 meals a day with protein such as tuna or eggs or chicken. before my gym workout and after I have a protein shake and just before I go to bed I have a protein shake and I have a couple snacks throughout the day such as a boiled egg or a flapjack or a protein bar.

I don't agree with you. You do not NEED 1g per pound. Especially if natural. That is rubbish and there is plenty of scientific evidence to proof this, if you want to google it.

There is plenty of evidence that supports it if you want to google it.

Just look at what you said though, you said you can consume 100g of protein if you want to GAIN size and muscle. if I go to Tesco and buy the ready to eat chicken breast fillet that has 70g of protein in it and then my protein shake has 50g of protein in it so with just those 2 items of food I am already 20g over your recommended daily consumption of protein intake.

Clearly if I am working out out hard in the gym (which everyone should be if they are going to the gym to gain size and muscle) I will need to eat more than 2 chicken fillets and half a protein shake for the entire day for my protein source.

I did a google search and I believe you are talking about daily protein intake for someone not working out at the gym trying to gain size and muscle because the daily recommended intake of an average person NOT working out is The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA), which is the minimum amount you need to be healthy, is 0.8 grams per kilogram or 0.3g protein per pound of weight which would require me to just eat 80g of protein per day based on this formulae which is literally just a ready to eat Tesco british filet pack. Clearly as a 100kg man who trains 5x a week at the gym lifting heavy weights I need to eat more than a pack of ready to eat chicken fillets a day to gain muscle and size.

just google 'how many grams of protein should I consume a day for muscle gain' and you will see that it is vastly more than what the average person who DOESN'T got to the gym to gain muscle needs. Near enough every link states about 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight


Last edited by Musclular-mouse on Thu 25 May 2017, 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by AdamT on Thu 25 May 2017, 12:53 pm

If you eat too much protein you store it as fat, unless your juicing. Some might need 1g of protein, I would imagine many don't.

I have used well in excess of 250g a day and I have used as little as 140g. I felt no difference in my recovery or training.

If on steroids, perhaps loads of protein is needed. The body can only grow so much natural muscle. Everyone has a genetic limit. In fact I would carbs are more important to training. Good carbs that is.

AdamT

Posts : 6344
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Muscular-mouse on Thu 25 May 2017, 1:04 pm

AdamT wrote:If you eat too much protein you store it as fat, unless your juicing. Some might need 1g of protein, I would imagine many don't.

I have used well in excess of 250g a day and I have used as little as 140g. I felt no difference in my recovery or training.

If on steroids, perhaps loads of protein is needed. The body can only grow so much natural muscle. Everyone has a genetic limit. In fact I would carbs are more important to training. Good carbs that is.

But that is the whole point of working out at the gym, you wont store it as fat because you will use that protein up to build muscle hence why the formulae is based on an individuals weight so 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight instead of a generic everyone must consume 200g of protein formulae.

I just type this into google 'how many grams of protein should I consume a day for muscle gain' and these are the links on the first page.

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/how-much-protein-should-i-eat-to-build-muscle

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-much-protein-build-muscle/

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much-whey-protein-should-drink-day-11625.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/458402-how-much-protein-per-day-to-gain-lean-muscle-mass/

Muscular-mouse

Posts : 270
Join date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Work out questions from a novice

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum