The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

+67
catchweight
wayne
RuggerRadge2611
dummy_half
tigertattie
carpet baboon
nathan
Winzer
Poorfour
rapidsnowman
bedfordwelsh
chris_501
No9
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
marty2086
Gooseberry
Barney McGrew did it
reallybored
EWT Spoons
Sgt_Pooly
RDW
Rugby Fan
dgttaylor
Heuer27
PhilBB
the-goon
Hammersmith harrier
No 7&1/2
RiscaGame
munkian
George Carlin
BigTrevsbigmac
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
BamBam
Exiledinborders
CraigS1874
SecretFly
beshocked
cascough
Luckless Pedestrian
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
theslosty
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
westisbest
Cyril
king_carlos
Cumbrian
eirebilly
The Great Aukster
lostinwales
TJ
Rory_Gallagher
True Raven
robbo277
Gwlad
majesticimperialman
aucklandlaurie
Scottrf
Submachine
rodders
Sin é
GunsGermsV2
71 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 21 Empty Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

My wishlist:

I hope AWJ is named captain to keep the Irish and English lads in check.
I hope Robshaw gets picked, he deserves to tour at least once at this point.
I hope the refereeing is strictly on a level playing field.
I hope NZ are made accountable for any incidents where they break anyone's collarbone and put them out of the game for 13 months.
The Lions to be at the very least competitive and win one of the first two tests.
I'd like to see Tadhg Furlong get a run out.
Would like to see an uncapped player in the squad.
No charity caps, Tom court, Shane Williams etc.
I hope Gatland comes up with a much more interesting and variable game plan than on the last Lions tour.
Dylan Hartley calls a ref the C word on the last day of the six nations and misses the tour.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 21 Empty Re: Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by rodders Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:20 pm

Scottrf wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Any idea who won that game Rugger Radge?
England/Wales 21-16 Scotland/Ireland

http://rugbyfootballhistory.com/timeline1920s.htm

I bet Wayne Barnes was referee...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 21 Empty Re: Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:23 pm

There was one in 1972 and one in 1980, from memory. The one in 1980 was won by England/Wales in a match of about a million tries and absolutely no real competitive tension. I seem to remember that Bill Beaumont got his one and only representative try in it and it was very entertaining but about as meaningful as the old Barbarians Easter tour matches.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:31 pm

rodders wrote:You could be right captain but can see an all Ireland front row.

England were mushed against France, they've a big load of softies in the pack at the minute so expect us to do the same in Dublin.

Ireland have played the (normally) 2 bottom teams of the six nations so far. Wouldn't put their front row at the top of the pile just yet.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:34 pm

Come on Nathan be fair, they did beat a tired All Blacks team on a jolly in Chicago, therefore they are Gods and everyone else is 2nd rate softies.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:36 pm

OK I always listen to TightHead. He's always spot on in his assessment.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:38 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Come on Nathan be fair, they did beat a tired All Blacks team on a jolly in Chicago, therefore they are Gods and everyone else is 2nd rate softies.  

Ireland also won the forward battle in the 2nd test.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:45 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:Come on Nathan be fair, they did beat a tired All Blacks team on a jolly in Chicago, therefore they are Gods and everyone else is 2nd rate softies.  

Was that the moral victory as its not showing up in the record books?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:57 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

No not a moral victory, Ireland forwards were better than NZs forwards for the second time in November. That does show in the record books. The stats are there for all to see:

http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsguru/rugby/match/281645.html

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:07 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

No not a moral victory, Ireland forwards were better than NZs forwards for the second time in November. That does show in the record books. The stats are there for all to see:

So as you lost that game and you say the forwards were on top I presume you are not advocating any of the backs to tour?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:08 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Fine Ireland can win the stats and the forward battle in March vs England's soft front row and we'll console ourselves with winning the game. Yahoo
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:10 pm

nathan wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

So as you lost that game and you say the forwards were on top I presume you are not advocating any of the backs to tour?

I dont think there will be many Irish backs in the test side but there will be a handful on the tour. It is a long tour. There are way too many matches IMO so there will need to be a big squad.

This would be my starting 9-15

Murray, Russell, Williams, Farrell, Joseph, Watson, Hogg. 1 Irish back. 2 Scots, 3 English, 1 Welsh.

I think that is a fair reflection of how the 6 nations is going with respect to back line performances albeit Ireland have scored the most backs tries this year in the 6N so far.

Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:16 pm

After two rounds:

Mako (I know, yet to play, but with Ireland swapping their guys no-one made a case yet)
Best
Furlong
AWJ (c)
Gray jr
Stander
Warburton
Heaslip
Webb
Biggar
Williams
Henshaw
Jones
Seymour
Hogg

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:19 pm

LondonTiger wrote:After two rounds:

Mako (I know, yet to play, but with Ireland swapping their guys no-one made a case yet)
Best
Furlong
AWJ (c)
Gray jr
Stander
Warburton
Heaslip
Webb
Biggar
Williams
Henshaw
Jones
Seymour
Hogg

Really! NZ 3 B&I Lions 0
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:19 pm

Not a bad team to be honest. Ireland scrum has been very good though so it is hard to compare Mako to the Ireland performances when he hasnt played.

Everyone else has shown good form. Biggar is a great player and deserves to be a tourist IMO whatever happens.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:22 pm

If you really want to beat NZ then you select English and Irish players for the test team.

The other lads can play midweek and carry the tackling bags to and from the bus.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:28 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Fine Ireland can win the stats and the forward battle in March vs England's soft front row and we'll console ourselves with winning the game. Yahoo

I think Ireland will be marginal favorites to win.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:35 pm

Having to play France then Wales the possibilities of picking up an injury or two to key players is huge.

We seemed to have come through those bruising encounters in good shape plus have a number of first team finishers back.

I wouldn't be too confident just yet on the final game in Dublin.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:35 pm

I would prefer to see CJ Stander at 8 myself there LT. If POM returns and is match fit I would have him at 6. But based on the first 2 games.

6 - CJ Stander
8 - Strauss

My Team on current form would be :

01 - Marler
02 - Hartley            .............................  Just like familiarity in front rows
03 - Cole  
04 - Gray
05 - Gray jr
06 - Stander
07 - Tipuric
08 - Strauss (could have been Moriarity either)
09 - Murray
10 - Farrell
11 - Williams
12 - Henshaw
13 - Joseph
14 - Seymour
15 - Hogg
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:38 pm

eirebilly wrote:I would prefer to see CJ Stander at 8 myself there LT. If POM returns and is match fit I would have him at 6. But based on the first 2 games.

6 - CJ Stander
8 - Strauss

My Team on current form would be :

01 - Marler
02 - Hartley            .............................  Just like familiarity in front rows
03 - Cole  
04 - Gray
05 - Gray jr
06 - Stander
07 - Tipuric
08 - Strauss (could have been Moriarity either)
09 - Murray
10 - Farrell
11 - Williams
12 - Henshaw
13 - Joseph
14 - Seymour
15 - Hogg

Much more likely but I think Itoje and Kruis (when fit) offer more in the 2nd row,
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 13 Feb 2017, 3:42 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Having to play France then Wales the possibilities of picking up an injury or two to key players is huge.

We seemed to have come through those bruising encounters in good shape plus have a number of first team finishers back.

Yeah you have no real reason to be too confident. England dont have a great record there in the six nations.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 13 Feb 2017, 4:32 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:Having to play France then Wales the possibilities of picking up an injury or two to key players is huge.

Yeah you have no real reason to be too confident. England dont have a great record there in the six nations.

I've heard Ben Young's has booked the weekend off, he still has flash backs of 2011 so Eddie is letting him have compassionate leave.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 13 Feb 2017, 6:07 pm

TightHEAD wrote:AWJ Campaign for the Lions Captaincy took a MASSIVE hit last weekend IMHO.

We need a leader who recognizes when they are in a huge test match and keep their head in pressure situations and not get caught up in the emotion of it all and plays to the crowd.

When in front of the post and you have a penalty you take the points.

Warburton

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 13 Feb 2017, 9:37 pm

Gwlad wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:AWJ Campaign for the Lions Captaincy took a MASSIVE hit last weekend IMHO.

We need a leader who recognizes when they are in a huge test match and keep their head in pressure situations and not get caught up in the emotion of it all and plays to the crowd.

Warburton

Owen Farrell.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 13 Feb 2017, 9:44 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Warburton

Owen Farrell.

Adele

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Mon 13 Feb 2017, 11:24 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Warburton

Owen Farrell.

Adele
Better choice than AWJ. She would at least know to take the points when they are on offer.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 14 Feb 2017, 12:23 am

Exiledinborders wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Warburton

Owen Farrell.

Adele
Better choice than AWJ. She would at least know to take the points when they are on offer.

Hardly. she'd fluff her line out calls and want to start the entire game again

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 14 Feb 2017, 9:42 am

If anyone is wondering where Warren Gatland is he is currently tied up at my home, I'm playing replays of all the Welsh games vs SH opposition to show him how not to play against NZ, I'm also showing him endless replays of Alex Cuthbert's mistakes just to plant a seed of doubt about selecting him for the Lions.

I've also just got a tape of that crucial lineout call from AWJ on Saturday whereby he lets the ball hit his man bits instead of using his hands.

I'll keep you updated on the progress being made.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 15 Feb 2017, 2:56 am

TightHEAD wrote:If anyone is wondering where Warren Gatland is he is currently tied up at my home, I'm playing replays of all the Welsh games vs SH opposition to show him how not to play against NZ, I'm also showing him endless replays of Alex Cuthbert's mistakes just to plant a seed of doubt about selecting him for the Lions.

I've also just got a tape of that crucial lineout call from AWJ on Saturday whereby he lets the ball hit his man bits instead of using his hands.

I'll keep you updated on the progress being made.

I imagine its the only way he would spend any time in your house.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 15 Feb 2017, 9:14 am

Top bantering there.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 16 Feb 2017, 2:27 am

IanBru wrote:Top bantering there.

Likewise

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 Feb 2017, 6:40 am

This thread is getting long now and needs to close or we'll lose it.

For the love of god, can we think carefully about whether we need another one?

Seriously. Couldn't we just hit our own testicles with a croquet mallet instead?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21