The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's 6 Nations Squad

+26
GunsGermsV2
Hammersmith harrier
BamBam
Cyril
nathan
lostinwales
king_carlos
Rugby Fan
nlpnlp
majesticimperialman
B91212
thomh
WELL-PAST-IT
robbo277
rosbif
mid_gen
No9
Cumbrian
Scottrf
No 7&1/2
Welly
Geordie
cascough
beshocked
propdavid_london
LondonTiger
30 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

England's 6 Nations Squad - Page 2 Empty England's 6 Nations Squad

Post by LondonTiger Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Eddie Jones has announced his England squad ahead of the 2017 RBS 6 Nations.

The 34-man squad will train in Portugal between 22-27 January before assembling at Pennyhill Park to prepare for their opening match against France at Twickenham Stadium on Saturday 4 February (kick-off 4.50pm, live on ITV).

Jones has named three uncapped players in a squad made up of 20 forwards and 14 backs. Back-row forward Mike Williams (Leicester Tigers) is included alongside prop Nathan Catt (Bath Rugby) and back Alex Lozowski (Saracens)

“I’ve been impressed with the three uncapped players named in the squad," said Jones.

"They’re all guys who have great physical capabilities and they all have a desire to improve. With a number of injuries to some key players it’s a great opportunity for them."

There are also returns for James Haskell (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Jack Clifford (Harlequins) and Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs) who were unavailable for selection during the autumn.

“It’s good to welcome back a number of players who weren’t with us during the autumn," said Jones.

"This time last year I said that the long-term strategy for England is to develop a side who can be the most dominant team in world rugby. Obviously I’ve been pleased with how the team’s progressing, but there’s still plenty to improve on."

Backroom addition
Joining Jones’ backroom team will be visual awareness coach Dr Sherylle Calder, who will work with the team on a consultancy basis.

Dr Calder, who helps improve players’ peripheral vision, their reaction times and co-ordination, has been involved with two Rugby World Cup winning teams and has worked with a number of high-profile athletes across a multitude of different sports.
“2017 for us is about building really strong foundations for the team and making sure our fundamental skills are improving,” said Jones.

“Part of that is hand-eye co-ordination and our ability to handle the ball adroitly - Dr Sherylle Calder is an expert in that field.

“She has won two gold medals, 2003 with England and 2007 with South Africa, I used her extensively when I coached in Japan and had success with her then. I think she is really going to add an edge to the players’ preparation.”

England Senior 34–man squad for RBS 6 Nations

Forwards

Nathan Catt (Bath Rugby), Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Teimana Harrison (Northampton Saints), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Matt Mullan (Wasps), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Tommy Taylor (Wasps), Mike Williams (Leicester Tigers), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints).

Backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Marland Yarde (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England's 6 Nations Squad - Page 2 Empty Re: England's 6 Nations Squad

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:36 pm

If we're talking form Mullen has been so so at best this season but before that really pushing (that club form again) at least for the bench for my money. Launchbury has been the form lock. The argument of 4 or 5 and who to partner...not sure it's an all important point on who calls the shots in the lineout. Borthwick will surely make sure everyone knows the role well elsewhere shag do you do if the lineout caller goes off injured. Neither Launchbury or Kruis ae exactly immobile either.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:21 pm

Jones' indicating as previous that Farrell will take the armband if Hartley doesn't make it. Hope someone had a quiet word on keeping a poker face and accepting a bad decision.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:39 pm

As the team been named yet?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:32 pm

Error, please delete.

Last edited by robbo277 on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:33 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:If we're talking form Mullen has been so so at best this season but before that really pushing (that club form again) at least for the bench for my money. Launchbury has been the form lock. The argument of 4 or 5 and who to partner...not sure it's an all important point on who calls the shots in the lineout. Borthwick will surely make sure everyone knows the role well elsewhere shag do you do if the lineout caller goes off injured. Neither Launchbury or Kruis ae exactly immobile either.

https://twitter.com/matt9dawson/status/819851277416988677

In case anyone wanted to know how complicated an international line-out can be!

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:19 pm

It seems strange that EJ only goes with 2 scrum halfs. If one gets injured whoever comes in has an awful lot of learning to do as there is no clear no3 who can just walk in and know all the plays. Perhaps he just doesn't fancy any of the other options. I have to admit to being a big Robson fan. I am also hoping that Ben Spencer will come good in due course.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:33 pm

I'm aware lineouts are complicated beasts just wondering how hard they are to call. We've seen Kruis Itoje Launchbury before. They all obviously, along with the pack, know the calls. The coaches all know that Kruis could go off injured straight away so must have confidence that Itoje or Launchbury or whoever can call?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:46 pm

Jones talked about increasing the depth of leadership in the squad this year. Our resources on that front were very thin under Lancaster - it may well have played a role in the selection of Sam Burgess - and I'm curious to see how Jones will improve that.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 21 Jan 2017, 1:15 am

nlpnlp wrote:It seems strange that EJ only goes with 2 scrum halfs. If one gets injured whoever comes in has an awful lot of learning to do as there is no clear no3 who can just walk in and know all the plays.  Perhaps he just doesn't fancy any of the other options.  I have to admit to being a big Robson fan.  I am also hoping that Ben Spencer will come good in due course.
Spencer is in the EPS. As is Robson so they are next cabs off the rank if Youngs or Care get crocked.

It's been a 45 man EPS under Jones then his 'training squads' are named closer to series/tournaments

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 21 Jan 2017, 9:28 am

Eddie has got a point about leadership. Who is in the squad that the players would gather round when the proverbial hits and the England are under pressure?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:16 am

Cumbrian wrote:Eddie has got a point about leadership.  Who is in the squad that the players would gather round when the proverbial hits and the England are under pressure?
Lancaster never got that right. He aimed to take have a team at the last World Cup world Cup with around 6-700 caps, and assumed the most experienced players would form a leadership core. Neither came to pass.

Lancaster rarely handed the captaincy to anyone other than Robshaw, and often had his captain play the full match. Hartley got a stint with the armband and we know what subsequently happened to him. Tom Wood was ostensibly the next back up, however, he demonstrated during a Cup warm-up match that he had lost track of the scoreboard. Barritt can lead the defence but Lancaster spent most of his tenure trying to find someone to replace him, so that wasn't an option to rely upon.

In Jones's main starting XV to date, Robshaw, Haskell and Hartley have the most captaincy experience but none are spring chickens. Jones sees Mike Brown as a leader, yet he'll be 34 by the time 2019 comes round, so is no guarantee. Launchbury and Itoje have both been spoken of as captaincy material but they probably won't play together at lock, so that will only happen if one displaces Robshaw.

Elsewhere, Ford and Farrell are both vocal on the pitch. The jury is out on how that translates to leadership. As hot-headed as Farrell can seem at times, he does respond well to pressure.

There is no indication that Jones intends to include people like Slater, so you can only assume his strategy will be to try and get more out of his younger players.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by rosbif Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:40 pm

On the scrum half front Exeter have 2 young SHs Maunder 19 and Townsend 21 both capped at U20 will be getting a lot of game time as both Chudley and Lewis are injured.

rosbif

http://www.brittanygite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 21 Jan 2017, 1:00 pm

Being slightly serious Jones does have a history of things going sour long term- but then that is true or every coach. You would have thought that someone as experienced as him might have learned and developed along the way.

The funny thing is that form of players and coaches actually do go up and down over the years.

Anyway, he does very much seem to suit the current England set up. He did manage to inherit a squad that was very much 'almost there' and was very lucky last year with injuries. He has however so far provided the little things needed to get that squad 'there'. It won't last forever - nothing does - but the England rugby team is in a great place at the moment and show every sign of only getting better.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 23 Jan 2017, 11:22 am

Care's form has been woeful over the last set of Quins games - more so than that I would say for most games this season he hasn't been himself on the pitch. Quins games revolves around the 9-10 game management. With DC out of form and NEV injured and also off form their structure goes to pot!

I know DC has credit in the bank with England, but he is so off the pace at the moment that I am not confident he will perform for England either.
I haven't seen the Tigers game of the weekend but I suspect that the tonking that they received from Glasgow meant that Ben Youngs didn't have the best of games either.

There are options to EJ at no.9 (both Robson and Simpson) are playing well. As a Quins fan I do think that Robson should be taking the backup spot in the squad. DC needs time to re-assess.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 23 Jan 2017, 1:26 pm

The good thing about this squad under Eddie is that players seem to find their form quite quickly.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 23 Jan 2017, 1:29 pm

Hi GF - yes agree with that. And its been mentioned elsewhere that he doesn't put a lot of stock in AP form.
I would still like to see Robson get a chance though - may well get called up when Youngs pops off for the Lions.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 23 Jan 2017, 1:38 pm

Yes the summer tour squad will be very interesting. Argentina isn't it.

A number off with the lions...
Will he rest many of the senior players..?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 23 Jan 2017, 1:47 pm

I think if the senior players are fit then they should tour - its always a fun exercise (should be a separate thread)
If fit I would expect Mako V, Hartley, Cole, Itoje, Launchbury, Haskell, Billy V, B.Youngs, Farrell, Watson, Nowell and Brown to be unavailable for tour (ie. touring with the Lions).

So expect the England tour squad from the likes of Marler/Genge, George/Taylor, Sinkler, Kruis, Lawes, Robshaw, no.7, Hughes, Robson, Ford, Rokko, Ben Teo, E.Daly/Joseph, Yarde, M.Haley/Lozowski

Guys like LCD coming back in, Chalie Ewells, maybe Beaumont, Mike Williams, Tom Wood, T.Harrison etc.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 23 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

I am sure EJ is the kind of guy that would want to maintain win ratio's (or rebuild in the even of a poor 6N).

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 23 Jan 2017, 2:06 pm

Yeah I agree he would take his strongest available...but I think a few of the fringe up and coming players would get some game time....and its a good chance to look at the troublesome spots like 12, full back etc.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 23 Jan 2017, 2:16 pm

Well we are possibly going to be without a number of players because of the Lions, you could make a case for nearly all of the first teamers having a least a decent shot of going to New Zealand. Most likely in my mind are:

Mako Vunipola
Dan Cole
Maro Itoje
Chris Robshaw (injury permitting)
Billy Vunipola

Owen Farrell
Jon Joseph
A winger, be it Jonny May, Anthony Allen or Jack Nowell.

Likley to see people such as Ellis Genge, Kyle Sinkler and Alex Lozowski stepping up to fill in.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 23 Jan 2017, 2:19 pm

Anthony Allen is a leftfield shout. Watson maybe?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 23 Jan 2017, 2:25 pm

Antony Allen??? Were you on the old ales last night marra?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 23 Jan 2017, 5:50 pm

Yeah, that was a bit of a face-palm moment picard

Of course I meant Watson. It has been a long day!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 23 Jan 2017, 6:46 pm

Can't imagine Brown making the Lions but it's certainly a position for Jones to be thinking of developing some depth in the near future. Lancaster back up seems to have been discarded could be tempted for Watson back there given May and Nowell doing well and for some reason Yarde waiting for an opportunity.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:48 am

Haskell's foot flared up after his appearance for Wasps. In a BBC interview before the game, he revealed that the injury will always feel uncomfortable, even after healing, so I wonder whether he might have to call it a day earlier than he'd like.

There are sportsmen who manage long-tern injuries, so perhaps he'll fall into that camp. Mike Atherton had chronic back problems, while Jacques Burger pretty much had to live in a freezer for a week after every match.

Still, it means he's late joining up with England, and will have even less preparation, which must raise some doubts about whether he can start.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 24 Jan 2017, 7:36 am

Same with Clifford, delayed in flying out.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:10 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Can't imagine Brown making the Lions but it's certainly a position for Jones to be thinking of developing some depth in the near future. Lancaster back up seems to have been discarded could be tempted for Watson back there given May and Nowell doing well and for some reason Yarde waiting for an opportunity.

Yeah I have a suspicion Watson is his preferred option to replace Brown...however the summer tour will give him a chance to let Brown have a rest at home and have a good look at Haley etc...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:12 am

Rugby Fan wrote:Haskell's foot flared up after his appearance for Wasps. In a BBC interview before the game, he revealed that the injury will always feel uncomfortable, even after healing, so I wonder whether he might have to call it a day earlier than he'd like.

There are sportsmen who manage long-tern injuries, so perhaps he'll fall into that camp. Mike Atherton had chronic back problems, while Jacques Burger pretty much had to live in a freezer for a week after every match.

Still, it means he's late joining up with England, and will have even less preparation, which must raise some doubts about whether he can start.

And Clifford is struggling.....And yet Mark Wilson is ignored.... Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:14 am

If Clifford is struggling I hope Jackson Wray is called up in his place. Run

Played well vs Toulon.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:16 am

Not good enough for the step up.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:19 am

beshocked wrote:If Clifford is struggling I hope Jackson Wray is called up in his place. Run

Played well vs Toulon.

thumbsup laughing

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:22 am

Perhaps, perhaps not but England don't exactly have many other options.

Now Geordiefalcon thinks Mark Wilson is but he's unproven vs the best.

At least Jackson Wray has performed well vs a star studded side like Toulon and he's been a mainstay in the Sarries squad.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:24 am

But Mark Wilson has played v Saracens and shone..(like Sean Robinson) I thought they were the best Beshocked??

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:25 am

Presumably Beaumont and Morgan would be next in line at 8. Yeah if we're thinking for 6 Wray equally or more down the line after the list of flankers brought in by Jones.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:26 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Presumably Beaumont and Morgan would be next in line at 8. Yeah if we're thinking for 6 Wray equally or more down the line after the list of flankers brought in by Jones.
Wray has been playing at 8?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:27 am

I was certain he did against Toulon until you asked!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:28 am

It's not just about playing the best, it's the context but anyway it's unlikely either will feature for England as things stand.

Wray is a 6 and 8 just like Clifford.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

I was questioning why you were suggesting him at 6 when he's been playing at 8. Good player, works hard, probably too small for an international 8 though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:32 am

Ah. Because he's played 6 loads and I'm still unsure whether Clifford would be considered at 6 by Jones. Not good enough for either position.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:39 am

Guess it doesn't really matter though because Itoje will likely start at 6.

On a side note I don't think I'd want Taylor to be on the bench vs France. His throwing vs Zebre was very poor.

Was disappointed in Wasps in general, needed a helping hand from the ref and only looked like scoring a try when Zebre down to 14 men. Ref was very inconsistent.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

beshocked wrote:It's not just about playing the best, it's the context but anyway it's unlikely either will feature for England as things stand.

Wray is a 6 and 8 just like Clifford.

Erm that's exactly what you suggested?? Headscratch

Now Geordiefalcon thinks Mark Wilson is but he's unproven vs the best.

At least Jackson Wray has performed well vs a star studded side like Toulon and he's been a mainstay in the Sarries squad.

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

One of those games which was too easy. Who to bench now then? LCD?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:46 am

Stick Hartley on the bench. Stop putting the bloke on a pedestal. Send a message that if you get yourself banned you cannot just stroll back into the line up as if nothing happened.

It's embarrassing. No one else gets such preferential treatment.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:47 am

Thought we'd already discussed he wasn't fit enough George to start and Taylor on the bench as Hartley may be called.upon immediately. Hartley not fit means you'd be looking for another hooker?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:51 am

If Hartley isn't fit enough I guess England would be forced to pick Taylor but it's not ideal.

Oh I don't think Hartley should start even if he's "fit". Whatever that means, he is still lacking match practice.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:51 am

Hartley is starting. The media is being managed already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38713338

'He's worked hard on conditioning' - Fit to play.
'He's working on his tackle technique' - Latest incident was a technique not discipline error so he's fixing it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:52 am

Ok so back to Taylor in 3 posts!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:58 am

Whats peoples thoughts on Tommy Taylor? Does anyone think hes lightweight?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:00 pm

It's a shame but I guess I'll have to be patient for the changes I want to see.

Unfortunately being patient isn't a strength of mine.

My view on Taylor is he's exciting round the park but still question marks over his set piece. Perhaps T.Youngs Mk2?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next