The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open - Day Fourteen

+32
Guest82
slashermcguirk
naxroy
lydian
theslosty
invisiblecoolers
timex please
Danny_1982
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
alfie
prostaff85
Matchpoint
kemet
kingraf
MrInvisible
LuvSports!
Positively 4th Street
Jermaine2015
Born Slippy
mthierry
CaledonianCraig
summerblues
Calder106
lags72
R!skysports
Haddie-nuff
barrystar
JuliusHMarx
sirfredperry
temporary21
Henman Bill
36 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Australian Open - Day Fourteen - Page 5 Empty Australian Open - Day Fourteen

Post by Henman Bill Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Federer vs Nadal and other matches on day 14.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Day Fourteen - Page 5 Empty Re: Australian Open - Day Fourteen

Post by alfie Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Deuce !

Come on Roger...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Day Fourteen - Page 5 Empty Re: Australian Open - Day Fourteen

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:12 pm

RToger with an ace and a forehand winner hauls it back to deuce.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Rafa returns long.....championship point.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:14 pm

DF ...successful challenge on Championship point...

You couldn't make it up . Deuce again...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Roger hits long...back to deuce.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:15 pm

An ace brings up a second championship point.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:15 pm

Roger Yahoo

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Well done to roger. Makes up for 09. A typical epic beteeen thrvtei

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 pm

The King is back! Who would've thought Nadal would've tanked it

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable.

Federer wins the Australian Open again. The 18th slam title and surely the greatest and most unexpected of his career. Commiserations Rafa but he can't take a huge boost from his showing here and a return to the big time.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:18 pm

OMG - poor Nadal must be devastated, but kudos to him.  Neither man can describe their careers without the other.  I was very wrong, and I am pleased.

I think that's the end of any GOAT debates for the foreseeable, even the unforeseeable future.

The one thing that takes a tiny bit of shine off this is the Aus Open's lopsided scheduling - Nadal did it when he was 22(?) in 2009, but at the age of 30 carrying many injuries it was a step too far.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Congratulations Roger and his fans. Commiserations to Rafa and his fans. Regardless of outcome I bet both fans cannot believe the fortnight they have just witnessed.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Unbelievable tension in the last two games. Was really the only time in the match when I really believed Roger could win it.

I woke up at least one person in the house with a shout of come on on the down the line forehand at 40-40 at 3-4.

Come on people, it's 9am. I've been up since 6.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm

BS, not 4 but 5 sets!!! Still your analysis is mostly correct. Hats off to you.

I'm speechless!

Congratulations THE GOAT on your 18.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm

King Roger the first man to win Australia, Wimbledon and New York 5x or more each.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm

I have NEVER, EVER, EVER (did I say ever, lol?) been so happy to be eating crow in my life!

I am an idiot, lol!!!

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm

I'd say that 18th slam win takes him out of the reach of Rafa.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:21 pm

And with that in must get up and go.

Might catch you all at RG

best of luck lads. And many gratz to both guys. Both covered themselves in glory

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Congratulations Fed fans. (missed the last two games...would you believe the tv went off)
Anyway Ill go away and lick my wounds but will not feel too down about it.. it was a match that was made in tennis heaven and for all of us that love these two guys we could not have asked for more Run

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Is three days rest that much more important than two? When it's 2 vs 1 as oppose to 3 vs 2 it's more of a big deal. Rafa still probably had somewhere close to 48 hours.

Impressive effort from Roger to beat Rafa at this age after being a break down in the 5th. He played much better than in the semi and I think it's a very credible win. Rafa played really well but for once he was the one to crumble in the 5th.

Those forehand errors to be broken back, and a double fault, there were at least 1-2 more errors than the 2008-2013 Rafa, if fit, would have done.

Still, a lot of credit to Roger. There were some very good shots in the 5th by him as well even though the level wasn't quite as consistently high as sets 1 and 3.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Congratulations Fed fans. (missed the last two games...would you believe the tv went off)
Anyway Ill go away and lick my wounds but will not feel too down about it.. it was a match that was made in tennis heaven and for all of us that love these two guys we could not have asked for more Run

Very gracious of you. Very Happy

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Is three days rest that much more important than two? When it's 2 vs 1 as oppose to 3 vs 2 it's more of a big deal. Rafa still probably had somewhere close to 48 hours.

Impressive effort from Roger to beat Rafa at this age after being a break down in the 5th. He played much better than in the semi and I think it's a very credible win. Rafa played really well but for once he was the one to crumble in the 5th.

Those forehand errors to be broken back, and a double fault, there were at least 1-2 more errors than the 2008-2013 Rafa, if fit, would have done.

Still, a lot of credit to Roger. There were some very good shots in the 5th by him as well even though the level wasn't quite as consistently high as sets 1 and 3.

And in case you have forgotten after your prayer to the Tennis Gods just an incy bincy bit of credit to Rafa eh?? Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Congratulations to Federer. clap clap .

Nadal played well for the match and the slam. thumbsup Looking forward to 2017 FO.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Well done to both guys.

The two greatest players of the open era.

Amazing from Roger - he showed so much grit. To beat 4 of the worlds top 10 players and then his nemesis in the final having had to win 3 five setters at the age of 35 - surely his greatest slam ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:30 pm

emancipator wrote:Well done to both guys.

The two greatest players of the open era.

Amazing from Roger - he showed so much grit. To beat 4 of the worlds top 10 players and then his nemesis in the final having had to win 3 five setters at the age of 35 - surely his greatest slam ever.

A compelling argument can be made to support the argument that I highlighted.

Surely, this is one of Roger's grittiest wins.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:32 pm

It's crazy that this is his first tournament back after 6 months off. It usually takes players months to find their form but Roger has done it immediately. Testament to his unparalleled natural talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Such a nice, gracious speech from Rafa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Uh oh, Roger's gonna cry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:34 pm

HN, I thought Rafa played very well. Could easily have gone either way. I just hope Rafa manages his schedule intelligently for the next few months. He only needs to play 3-4 tournaments between now and RG at this age.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Well, well, well. Never thought Rog would win today. Haven't seen any of it, but just checked the scores from time to time. I think the third set was key, because it meant that Rafa was playing catch up. He never led til that break early in the 5th and I though that would be curtains for the Swiss.
Some are saying that this is Rog's greatest GS slam, and few would argue with that. Chuck all the factors into the mix - age, time away, fitness, opponents - and it all adds up to an astonishing triumph.
As for Rafa - an equally sensational tournament. He's thwarted Rog so often in the past but, probably, the semi-final scheduling caught up with him at the end. He has the consolation of the French to look forward to. Thankfully, there are highlights of the match on BBC2 shortly. Can't wait.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Roger Federer, receding hairline and all, has held aloft the 2017 Australian Open Trophy. He has beaten one of the greatest champions in the sport of tennis.

Last edited by kemet on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:38 pm

Rafa says he feels he is back to playing at a very high level in his speech. I think will be interesting to see how he does for the rest of the year. He looks like he could do well in the clay season at least.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Two words the Fed has never said before about coming back, "if not"...

Hmm
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Yes I noticed that too.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Rafa says he feels he is back to playing at a very high level in his speech. I think will be interesting to see how he does for the rest of the year. He looks like he could do well in the clay season at least.

Roland Garros, look out, the King of Clay is coming back for his crown.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Yes Barry, I thought he'd definitely finish with 'and I'll see you all next year' but that 'if not' is food for thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:42 pm

The entire match felt like it was on Roger's racquet. His dips cost him the 2 sets and when he raised his game he won those particular sets.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:43 pm

What a match. Federer after he was broken In the fifth played like a man possessed. I don't think Rafa had a single game in the final set where he didn't face three or more break points. I've never ever seen Roger play a fifth set that well. Ever
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:46 pm

kingraf wrote:What a match. Federer after he was broken In the fifth played like a man possessed. I don't think Rafa had a single game in the final set where he didn't face three or more break points. I've never ever seen Roger play a fifth set that well. Ever

I agree with you; I am hard-pressed to think of a match where I have ever seen him dig so deep to level the fifth AND serve out the match after having been down 15-40 on his serve.

Last edited by kemet on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical error)

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Has to be the greatest tennis moment in Federer's life. Resigned to defeat at 3-1 down at yet another missed chance. Then those 3 missed BP's at 4-3.

6 months out and 35 years of age.

Thank you Roger kiss
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:51 pm

That 5th set was a privilege to watch. Federer was out of this world!

Great battle, from the two greatest. But Federer, wow... take a bow man!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:54 pm

Yeah, he was cracking winners like they were going out of fashion. Just shows what a difference a slightly slicker court makes.

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:55 pm

emancipator wrote:Yeah, he was cracking winners like they were going out of fashion. Just shows what a difference a slightly slicker court makes.

He was actually more consistent on the backhand wing throughout the match as opposed to the forehand wing

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:56 pm

emancipator wrote:Yeah, he was cracking winners like they were going out of fashion. Just shows what a difference a slightly slicker court makes.
Agreed. Just a fraction slower court and probably Rafa wins. There is an extremely strong correlation across their whole career between surface speed and who wins.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Mirka Federer is a Great Woman. Roger is honoured to have her at his side.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Federer was the better player and deserved it. Nadal at times needed to be more aggressive. Several crucial forehand errors in the 5th is not what you'd have expected from him closer to his prime.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by timex please Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Oh wow! Did not believe this would be the result - too many heartbreaking Roger v Rafa slam finals!

Commiserations to all you Rafa fans - sure you will all be celebrating La Decima in June though.

Both guys have confirmed they are a class above. Truly awesome!

timex please

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:08 pm

What an epic match, its was great to see Roger get one back from Rafa.

However I am convinced GOAT title needs to be shared between the two.

Thanks to both players , teams and fans for a great match.

Congrats Federer for keeping the belief that you can beat Rafa at the biggest stages.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Unbelievable tension in the last two games. Was really the only time in the match when I really believed Roger could win it.

I woke up at least one person in the house with a shout of come on on the down the line forehand at 40-40 at 3-4.

Come on people, it's 9am. I've been up since 6.

I had to apologize to the neighbour upstairs for my outbursts, lol

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Henman Bill wrote:
Agreed. Just a fraction slower court and probably Rafa wins. There is an extremely strong correlation across their whole career between surface speed and who wins.

Yes, the majority of their matches have been played on the slower courts, and as you rightly say the record also reflects that. This court allowed Federer to play offensive. In previous years RLA was too slow and Rafa could run down enough balls to make the difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next