Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:28 pm

I read yesterday that Toni Nadal is to quit coaching Rafa with immediate effect. He will move to Nadal's new academy to coach the youngsters there. He cites the reason being that he is no longer being heard in his role since Carlos Moya joined the team. If true I know Haddie Nuff will be delighted.

Thoughts?
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 15775
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 48
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by sirfredperry on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Here is a good article on the Rafa-uncle Toni situation.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Rafael_Nadal/40578/toni-nadal-shocker-it-will-be-my-last-season-with-rafa-on-the-tour-/

sirfredperry

Posts : 3041
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 67
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Matchpoint on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 pm

It only says Toni will not follow Nadal's tournaments beginning next year. That's consistent with all the latest reports. Where does it say he is "to quit coaching Nadal with immediate effect"? Can someone pls clarify? Thanks.

Matchpoint

Posts : 299
Join date : 2014-11-18
Location : Shangri-La

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Matchpoint wrote:It only says Toni will not follow Nadal's tournaments beginning next year. That's consistent with all the latest reports. Where does it say he is "to quit coaching Nadal with immediate effect"? Can someone pls clarify? Thanks.

My apologies, I just recall reading the short report somewhere and Toni sounded far from pleased by being squeezed out and I read into that, that it would be with immediate effect but re-reading that same report now it adds that it will be from next season he will no longer tour with Rafa. Odd though. If he doesn't like how he isn't involved in the decision making now it would make more sense to go now. Otherwise he will linger around creating an uncomfortable atmosphere - not ideal at all.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 15775
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 48
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:24 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I read yesterday that Toni Nadal is to quit coaching Rafa with immediate effect. He will move to Nadal's new academy to coach the youngsters there. He cites the reason being that he is no longer being heard in his role since Carlos Moya joined the team. If true I know Haddie Nuff will be delighted.

Thoughts?


mmmmmmmm Headscratch Ive mixed thoughts on this CC. The writing was on the wall me thinks with the introduction of Carlos who I know Rafa has been close to for many years. This also might shine a true light on why Rafa has withdrawn from Rotterdam, citing it was on doctor's orders according to his Facebook.. I was a little suspicious of this reason but this now might be the real reason.  As many of you know I have lived among the Spaniards for nigh on 17 years and have come to know them as a race pretty well. Ive lived in three areas of Spain, the people in each have been different in many ways but the thing they have in common is FAMILY and TEMPEREMENTAL.. the two words that come to mind.

If Toni, as he has always purported, has considered what was best for his nephew first and foremost, then I would suggest he stops throwing his toys out of the pram. Rafa will not thrive with this underlying feeling of dissention and it could well mar his chances now for a recovery of form. Bad timing by Toni .  Rafa would not wish to upset his Uncle who, after all is said and done, coached him to 14 GS.  It will reverberate around his whole family and this is not good.  As for Moya.. he has obviously made a considerable difference, and given the right atmosphere, could continue to do so.  What I now fear is that if Moya thinks he is upsetting the Nadals.. he then might quit (Spaniards being Spaniards).. oh dear does not bode good imo.

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6882
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:51 pm

This is another article..same content but seemingly more tempered..or is that to make it more palatable. Wink

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/02/12/toni-nadal-step-back-next-season

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6882
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I read yesterday that Toni Nadal is to quit coaching Rafa with immediate effect. He will move to Nadal's new academy to coach the youngsters there. He cites the reason being that he is no longer being heard in his role since Carlos Moya joined the team. If true I know Haddie Nuff will be delighted.

Thoughts?


mmmmmmmm Headscratch Ive mixed thoughts on this CC. The writing was on the wall me thinks with the introduction of Carlos who I know Rafa has been close to for many years. This also might shine a true light on why Rafa has withdrawn from Rotterdam, citing it was on doctor's orders according to his Facebook.. I was a little suspicious of this reason but this now might be the real reason.  As many of you know I have lived among the Spaniards for nigh on 17 years and have come to know them as a race pretty well. Ive lived in three areas of Spain, the people in each have been different in many ways but the thing they have in common is FAMILY and TEMPEREMENTAL.. the two words that come to mind.

If Toni, as he has always purported, has considered what was best for his nephew first and foremost, then I would suggest he stops throwing his toys out of the pram. Rafa will not thrive with this underlying feeling of dissention and it could well mar his chances now for a recovery of form. Bad timing by Toni .  Rafa would not wish to upset his Uncle who, after all is said and done, coached him to 14 GS.  It will reverberate around his whole family and this is not good.  As for Moya.. he has obviously made a considerable difference, and given the right atmosphere, could continue to do so.  What I now fear is that if Moya thinks he is upsetting the Nadals.. he then might quit (Spaniards being Spaniards).. oh dear does not bode good imo.

Yes my second post here alludes to what you say.

Now I am probably making wild assumptions here but perhaps Rafa's scheduling is upsetting Toni now? Perhaps Carlos Moya recognizes that Rafa needs to cut back on his schedule? I say this as Rafa has just announced he will not now be playing Rotterdam. Maybe reading something into nothing but it does tally with Toni's claim that his voice is no longer being heard.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 15775
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 48
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:58 pm

You may well be right.. lets be totally frank Toni has loved the limelight.. he is the most famous coach ever I think and if he feels he is no longer in the spotlight..Erm the changes in Rafa's game will doubtless be attributed to Moya's coaching... a little bit of ego I think I'm a little disappointed in him if I'm honest..his timing is bad..leading up to RG. If there is more to it than what is actually being said it will affect Rafa no doubt about it. :

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6882
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:You may well be right.. lets be totally frank Toni has loved the limelight.. he is the most famous coach ever I think and if he feels he is no longer in the spotlight..Erm  the changes in Rafa's game will doubtless be attributed to Moya's coaching... a little bit of ego I think I'm a little disappointed in him if I'm honest..his timing is bad..leading up to RG. If there is more to it than what is actually being said it will affect Rafa  no doubt about it. :

Toni has had a very fair crack of the whip and surely he should be sensible enough to recognize (for one reason or another) things have not been great over the last couple of years - a time which he has been coach after all. He should take satisfaction that he has aided Nadal coaching him to 14 slams and step aside gracefully and allow another a shot at re-invigorating Rafa.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 15775
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 48
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Matchpoint on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:46 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Matchpoint wrote:It only says Toni will not follow Nadal's tournaments beginning next year. That's consistent with all the latest reports. Where does it say he is "to quit coaching Nadal with immediate effect"? Can someone pls clarify? Thanks.

My apologies, I just recall reading the short report somewhere and Toni sounded far from pleased by being squeezed out and I read into that, that it would be with immediate effect but re-reading that same report now it adds that it will be from next season he will no longer tour with Rafa. Odd though. If he doesn't like how he isn't involved in the decision making now it would make more sense to go now. Otherwise he will linger around creating an uncomfortable atmosphere - not ideal at all.

No prob.  
Yes, odd indeed. If next year is when he intends to go, why chose this very moment to make waves, just a day or two after Nadal's announcement of his withdrawal from Rotterdam? It's confusing. a) we've Nadal saying he's not playing under doctor's order (injury issues, surely?) b) BUT we also have Toni coming right out soon after assuring us his nephew is now as healthy as ever, first time in his career injury-free, playing close to top form blah blah... So if the guy has no health issues, what's with the "doctor's order"? Must be very unsettling to Nadal. I don't think it's nice of Toni to pull this surprise so close to the FO. Not nice at all.

Matchpoint

Posts : 299
Join date : 2014-11-18
Location : Shangri-La

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:14 am

I don't think there's any contradiction concerning Rafa's health. He's fit and healthy, it's just that he's tired after the AO. His wrist needs rest and further treatment to make sure the injury doesn't recur.

He entered Rotterdam in the first place because he wasn't sure he could make it far at the AO, so having some match play at Rotterdam would help but since he reached the AO final thus having plenty of match play and also regaining some confidence, I doubt it's advisable for him to play at Rotterdam.

I don't know much about Toni, but I do feel the intention all along is to have Toni working at Rafa's academy, after his coaching with Rafa ends. Toni needs a job to occupy his time and feed his family (even though he has some shares in his brother's - Rafa's father - glass windows business). The timing of this announcement, well maybe Toni thinks it's time Moya takes over but he's still watching over for this season, at least to make sure the arrangement is fine before he makes a 'clean cut break' with Rafa, so whatever Rafa achieves from then, the credit should at least goes to Moya; of course any failure Moya will be made accountable too!

Belovedluckyboy

Posts : 1379
Join date : 2015-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:20 am

I doubt Toni has any ill intention, and I doubt it's a sudden decision. He would have already discussed and agreed with Rafa about such an arrangement before making it public. The fact that he's giving himself one more season with Rafa tells me that he wants to make sure that everything runs smoothly for Rafa before he leaves the coaching job to Moya (with Roig). I do feel he's genuinely concern about Rafa, he loves his nephew, so he wants the transition to be smooth and successful hence he's not doing it immediately but give themselves time to adjust and to prepare for it.

Belovedluckyboy

Posts : 1379
Join date : 2015-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Haddie-nuff on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:55 am

Don't agree BLB  Rafa's spokesman has said it has come as a surprise and nothing has been confirmed by Rafa .. If Rafa had known I'm sure he would have come out with it to save any confusion.. No it definitely Toni in my opinion.. he is having his nose put out of joint .. if as I said earlier he had any regard for his nephew he would have held fire until after RG and then made his announcement. Toni has had business commitments with Rafa's father for years and has frequently taken time out of the tour to be with his family.. it doesn't add up and I for one think that Toni is being selfish and thoughtless given how close it is to RG and how much it means to Rafa to make it his 10th. I hope Moya hangs in there given these circumstances because Rafa needs him now more than ever

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6882
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:13 am

How close to RG?? Not another three months! I do think Toni chooses to disclose it now just before the NA HC swing precisely because hes not travelling there with Rafa's team. If I'm not wrong, Toni did accompany Rafa there to NA in the past two years because of the state of Rafa's game and confidence issue.

I doubt Toni is being selfish, he's with Rafa all along throughout Rafa's career, why the sudden selfishness?

Belovedluckyboy

Posts : 1379
Join date : 2015-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by CaledonianCraig on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:29 am

Belovedluckyboy wrote:How close to RG?? Not another three months!  I do think Toni chooses to disclose it now just before the NA HC swing precisely because hes not travelling there with Rafa's team.  If I'm not wrong, Toni did accompany Rafa there to NA in the past two years because of the state of Rafa's game and confidence issue.

I doubt Toni is being selfish, he's with Rafa all along throughout Rafa's career, why the sudden selfishness?

Actually, I cannot see how Toni disclosing stuff like this to the media is anything but detrimental to Rafa. Whichever report you read it contains Toni being miffed about decisions being taken out of his hands. Now that being the case then what is there to gain with going to the media with this? The reaction like you have here which creates more questions than answers and must be unsettling for Rafa and all of the making of his coach and uncle. Not good.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 15775
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 48
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Haddie-nuff on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:31 am

I think you are on another page BLB. Have you not gleaned from the article that he appears to be a bit disgruntled because of his growing lack of involvement in the decision making process because of both Moya and Rafa's father.?? Plus this announcement seems to have come out of the blue  if you are to believe Rafa's spokesman.. I'm prepared to bet that Toni (as we have seen in the past) made a statement before thinking of the repercussions. Ill wait to see what sort of affect this has on the team and  in particular Rafa.. Toni is a bit of a hot head.

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6882
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 am

Furthermore, its not like Toni is saying hes not with Rafa anymore this year; its next season he's talking about. I bet Toni will be there during the European clay court swing and also Wimbledon since they're all in Europe. He may not travel to New York though if everything works out as planned; same with the Asian swing I feel.

Belovedluckyboy

Posts : 1379
Join date : 2015-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by CaledonianCraig on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:I think you are on another page BLB. Have you not gleaned from the article that he appears to be a bit disgruntled because of his growing lack of involvement in the decision making process because of both Moya and Rafa's father.?? Plus this announcement seems to have come out of the blue  if you are to believe Rafa's spokesman.. I'm prepared to bet that Toni (as we have seen in the past) made a statement before thinking of the repercussions. Ill wait to see what sort of affect this has on the team and  in particular Rafa.. Toni is a bit of a hot head.

Not just that but what does Toni hope to achieve? It will only serve to cause unrest in the Rafa camp. If Toni feels 'put out' in decision-making and is unhappy and is leaving in less than a year then go now.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 15775
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 48
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:49 am

There are a few versions that I read. I dont trust all those translations.

I do think its a mutual agreement between Rafa and Toni, but I now do feel Toni just went ahead to make it public without telling Rafa or his PR guy. Its not the first time Toni has done things like that; I remember long ago in late 2007, when Toni just went ahead telling the press or journalists that Rafa's knee tendinitis was career threatening; Rafa had to come out later to clearify and dismissed that claim from Toni.

To me, Toni is always such a big mouth, he keeps talking unnecessarily as if to get all the attention to himself. Rafa is being nice by not wanting to tell Toni off, out of respect. In any case I really dont think Toni has any ill intention towards Rafa and Moya.

Toni is coaching Christian Garin of Chile, so I'm not surprised he's ending his coaching relationship with Rafa. I think thats why Rafa takes in Moya to be his coach.

Belovedluckyboy

Posts : 1379
Join date : 2015-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Haddie-nuff on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:26 am

Belovedluckyboy wrote:There are a few versions that I read.  I dont trust all those translations.  

I do think its a mutual agreement between Rafa and Toni, but I now do feel Toni just went ahead to make it public without telling Rafa or his PR guy.  Its not the first time Toni has done things like that; I remember long ago in late 2007,  when Toni just went ahead telling the press or journalists that Rafa's knee tendinitis was career threatening; Rafa had to come out later to clearify and dismissed that claim from Toni.

To me, Toni is always such a big mouth, he keeps talking unnecessarily as if to get all the attention to himself.  Rafa is being nice by not wanting to tell Toni off, out of respect.  In any case I really dont think Toni has any ill intention towards Rafa and Moya.

Toni is coaching Christian Garin of Chile, so I'm not surprised he's ending his coaching relationship with Rafa.  I think thats why Rafa takes in Moya to be his coach.

Ahh now you are coming around to my way of thinking.  Ill say again Toni is a typical Spaniard, cussed and temperamental. In my book there has been a decision made that he either didn't like or approve of and he opened his mouth before putting his brain into gear. I like CC believe whatever his motives or reasons he must know this will affect Rafa short and long term. Rafa owes everything to Toni and therefore beholden.. Toni knows this and its emotional blackmail. Go Toni don't hang around.. let Carlos finish what he has started as its unsettling for the whole camp.. let alone to those who have emotional ties to Rafa

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6882
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Haddie-nuff on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:42 am

Whatever Uncle T's reasons it is certainly not being done in the best interests of Rafa ..

this posted on FB 20 mins ago

Nadal, up close
The family is...
Essential to me. We have an excellent relationship and that helps me

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6882
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Haddie-nuff on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Further speculation
http://deadspin.com/is-uncle-toni-rafael-nadals-longtime-coach-really-coo-1792366036

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6882
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni to Quit Coaching Nadal

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum