Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

I understand that some players haven't had a break for a while, but still, either it's a must-win game (with a bonus point) or it isn't.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21782
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down


Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

Steffan wrote:Who's Andy just out of interest?

I'll give you a clue. He writes for the Fail, knows the square root of feck all about anything, and apparently moonlights as a drainage expert from Merthyr
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2105
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 7:15 am

GavinDragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Do these "investors" intend to eventually "property develop" Rodders then? Is that the plan?

I doubt, as I imagine NRFC will continue to own it, Dragons just long term lease the ground. Providing security for NRFC's future.

Doesn't appear to be the case now. A sorry state of affairs indeed.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 4:51 pm

I see Conty are trying to get the fans to help with the wage bill having bought that there 3G pitch. Ambition is critical eh Lord Andy?
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2105
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 5:06 pm

Stone Motif wrote:I see Conty are trying to get the fans to help with the wage bill having bought that there 3G pitch. Ambition is critical eh Lord Andy?

A Cardiff Ponty merger?
Marvelous!
To affinity and beyond.......!!!

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Steffan on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 6:19 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:I see Conty are trying to get the fans to help with the wage bill having bought that there 3G pitch. Ambition is critical eh Lord Andy?

A Cardiff Ponty merger?
Marvelous!
To affinity and beyond.......!!!
I'd love a Cardiff Ponty merger. 'Conty' is a good name to me

Dragons away would be great. What ground would that be played at or has Stuart Davies not decided yet?

Anyway here's some clips of the latest action from Dave Parade:


Steffan

Posts : 7508
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 6:22 pm

Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:I see Conty are trying to get the fans to help with the wage bill having bought that there 3G pitch. Ambition is critical eh Lord Andy?

A Cardiff Ponty merger?
Marvelous!
To affinity and beyond.......!!!
I'd love a Cardiff Ponty merger. 'Conty' is a good name to me

Dragons away would be great. What ground would that be played at or has Stuart Davies not decided yet?

Anyway here's some clips of the latest action from Dave Parade:


Conty just works on loads of levels.


Last edited by Stone Motif on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Especially where you're concerned, Stef)
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2105
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 4:40 pm

Cue guffawing:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/15155406.Dragons_sign_Gavin_Henson__Former_Wales_and_Lions_playmaker_heading_for_Rodney_Parade/

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21782
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by BigGee on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 5:03 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Cue guffawing:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/15155406.Dragons_sign_Gavin_Henson__Former_Wales_and_Lions_playmaker_heading_for_Rodney_Parade/

How many games do you think you will get out of him next season?

BigGee

Posts : 3557
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 5:08 pm

I wouldn't want to jinx him!

If he can still 'do a job,' as they say, then he may as well be doing it for the Dragons. We're quite directionless at half back.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21782
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:31 pm

I'm happy with that signing. He looked very comfortable in the English premiership with Bristol, when fit. Didn't look out of his depth for a 35 year old so I think that bodes well for the Pro12.

Griff

Posts : 6652
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:12 pm

BigGee wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Cue guffawing:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/15155406.Dragons_sign_Gavin_Henson__Former_Wales_and_Lions_playmaker_heading_for_Rodney_Parade/

How many games do you think you will get out of him next season?

As many as we got from Lee Byrne I bet. Thankfully we're covered at centre, but not at fly-half which is where I think he should play for us.

Crosswell probably on his way out so we can sign one of the worst Sprinkboks ever in a position where we are okay. That's three saffa's in the back 3 so I wonder where that leaves Hewitt and Amos. I like Crosswell (on the flank) as he's an in-your-face/abrasive player. Him and Ian Evans (still rumoured right?) in the same pack would have been a lot more effective than what we have now.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 5432
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:35 pm

Griff wrote:I'm happy with that signing. He looked very comfortable in the English premiership with Bristol, when fit. Didn't look out of his depth for a 35 year old so I think that bodes well for the Pro12.

Yeah this. Watched him v Bath and his pace has gone but still makes up for it with his reading of the game which has always bought him that extra second.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2105
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:44 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:I'm happy with that signing. He looked very comfortable in the English premiership with Bristol, when fit. Didn't look out of his depth for a 35 year old so I think that bodes well for the Pro12.

Yeah this. Watched him v Bath and his pace has gone but still makes up for it with his reading of the game which has always bought him that extra second.

Would like to see this rub off on Warren, Dixon and Morgan. Our former U20 midfield has been quite underwhelming this year.

We've currently got a TH in the U20s and apparently he's huge. Anyone know much about anyone/him?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 5432
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:09 am

Would just like to say, good luck to FoNR.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 9:01 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:I'm happy with that signing. He looked very comfortable in the English premiership with Bristol, when fit. Didn't look out of his depth for a 35 year old so I think that bodes well for the Pro12.

Yeah this. Watched him v Bath and his pace has gone but still makes up for it with his reading of the game which has always bought him that extra second.

Would like to see this rub off on Warren, Dixon and Morgan. Our former U20 midfield has been quite underwhelming this year.

We've currently got a TH in the U20s and apparently he's huge. Anyone know much about anyone/him?

I don't think you can coach this kind of game awareness. Best we can do is hope our backs coach(?) can encourage people to occasionally run a line off him.

The TH is Chris Coleman isn't it? Don't know much about him other than he's already a rich seam of sh1te punditry jokes already.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2105
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 1:39 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Cue guffawing:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/15155406.Dragons_sign_Gavin_Henson__Former_Wales_and_Lions_playmaker_heading_for_Rodney_Parade/

NDC?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 3:24 pm

Mmmm....

"The assurance I can give Newport RFC we have been protecting their interests."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39274402

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 3:35 pm

Apparently 75% of the NRFC board have voted yes.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7000
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 8:42 pm

But it is the shareholder vote which is the end game. 1000 shareholders each with one vote. They can scupper the deal and, on these terms, I can't say I'd blame them if they did.

GavinDragon

Posts : 2545
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 9:48 pm

Reading between the lines of what Hazell has said, if they (shareholders) scupper the deal then I think both the Dragons and Newport RFC go under. Hazell made it sound like unless the WRU takes over then the unthinkable will happen and they (Newport board) will cut their losses and walk.

Griff

Posts : 6652
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 6:21 am

So have the "interests" of Newport RFC been well protected over the years then?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 6:44 am

I smell a fish.
Can't put my finger on it.
A kind of CCS type of fishy.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 9:01 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:I smell a fish.
Can't put my finger on it.
A kind of CCS type of fishy.

I don't. Our major backers (Hazell and Brown) are becoming old men. Both 80, or thereabouts. They've had enough and can do without the hassle. They've got a lot invested and are happy to write off the debts owed to them, but I guess with one eye on their futures they probably think they might do better to keep the money for the family rather than plough more into the rugby.

You think someone has a CCS style stadium up their sleeve somewhere in Gwent?! Personally I think one of two things will happen:

1. The WRU and the Dragons board are able to strike a deal where the WRU takes over full time and rugby remains at RP on some sort of lease, as per the wishes of Hazell and Brown. The WRU can make it what they want then - e.g. full on development region, old stalwart region, training shop for young welsh coaches, whatever. After 10 years if the venture has been a success then perhaps it will staty. Otherwise it they'll relocate.
Or,
2. They won't be able to come to an agreement, there'll be a load of hot air about how they tried to reach agreement, 'conflict with interested parties', 'challenges too big to overcome', and the Dragons will cease to exist as of next season and a new 4th entity will be created elsewhere, e.g. North Wales, fully funded by the WRU. The fact that the WRU is considering fully funding the Dragons tells me they'll be happy to do it elsewhere too, and a major hurdle to any region setting up (and one of the arguments against a valleys region) is who will fund it? Previously, you would need some sugar daddies and they are few and far between in Wales. But if the WRU fully fund it then anywhere is potentially a location for the new region.

Griff

Posts : 6652
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:44 am

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:I smell a fish.
Can't put my finger on it.
A kind of CCS type of fishy.
You think someone has a CCS style stadium up their sleeve somewhere in Gwent?!  Personally I think one of two things will happen:

Don't be daft mun. I meant all the BS spouted concerning the shift to CCS. Even towards the very end it was stated that the bloos were there to stay and wouldn't move back to old, tired and falling down CAP. Then they moved back to CAP.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 9:00 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:I smell a fish.
Can't put my finger on it.
A kind of CCS type of fishy.
You think someone has a CCS style stadium up their sleeve somewhere in Gwent?!  Personally I think one of two things will happen:

Don't be daft mun. I meant all the BS spouted concerning the shift to CCS. Even towards the very end it was stated that the bloos were there to stay and wouldn't move back to old, tired and falling down CAP. Then they moved back to CAP.

Oh I see. Not sure then. I think it's all or nothing - either the WRU buy us and fund us or it's goodnight Dragons and a new entity will be funded by the WRU elsewhere. I can't see anything fishy this time personally.

Griff

Posts : 6652
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 9:38 am

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:I smell a fish.
Can't put my finger on it.
A kind of CCS type of fishy.
You think someone has a CCS style stadium up their sleeve somewhere in Gwent?!  Personally I think one of two things will happen:

Don't be daft mun. I meant all the BS spouted concerning the shift to CCS. Even towards the very end it was stated that the bloos were there to stay and wouldn't move back to old, tired and falling down CAP. Then they moved back to CAP.

Oh I see.  Not sure then.  I think it's all or nothing - either the WRU buy us and fund us or it's goodnight Dragons and a new entity will be funded by the WRU elsewhere.  I can't see anything fishy this time personally.

Maybe there's a third way? Dunno.
Also, can't make an informed decision without all of the facts in any case.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 9:45 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:I smell a fish.
Can't put my finger on it.
A kind of CCS type of fishy.
You think someone has a CCS style stadium up their sleeve somewhere in Gwent?!  Personally I think one of two things will happen:

Don't be daft mun. I meant all the BS spouted concerning the shift to CCS. Even towards the very end it was stated that the bloos were there to stay and wouldn't move back to old, tired and falling down CAP. Then they moved back to CAP.

Who paid out for their move back again ?
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7000
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:38 am

munkian wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:I smell a fish.
Can't put my finger on it.
A kind of CCS type of fishy.
You think someone has a CCS style stadium up their sleeve somewhere in Gwent?!  Personally I think one of two things will happen:

Don't be daft mun. I meant all the BS spouted concerning the shift to CCS. Even towards the very end it was stated that the bloos were there to stay and wouldn't move back to old, tired and falling down CAP. Then they moved back to CAP.

Who paid out for their move back again ?

The club ended up paying, I guess.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:42 am

Anyway, back to the Drags. Situation "perilous" apparently.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:51 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:Anyway, back to the Drags. Situation "perilous" apparently.

Yes I think so. It wouldn't be the first time that backers have been economical with the truth to try to speed up the process - e.g. "We're doomed unless we get investment ASAP" - but on this occasion, and listening/reading the interviews with Hazell, I think the board are genuinely saying that they are going to walk in the near future therefore either someone takes over (i.e. the WRU) or the Dragons will fold. I don't see it as a sort of threat from the board either. I think they're genuinely saying that the WRU takeover is the only possibility as there are no other investors interested and they'll be walking away. I guess it then comes down to the WRU to decide - do we want to fund the Dragons and pro rugby in Gwent or do we start something new elsewhere. I can see why they might be tempted with the latter.

Griff

Posts : 6652
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:13 am

I don't think the WRU can take over the Dragons and just shut them down and move a region to north Wales. I think they're obliged to give the New WRU Dragons a fair crack of the whip, if only so they can say, 'look, we did all we could' if the Dragons are still slumming it at the bottom of the league in 5 - 10 years' time.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21782
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:24 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I don't think the WRU can take over the Dragons and just shut them down

That is exactly what happened to the Celtic Warriors. I hope it does not happen to Dragons, I really do not. But they cannot give the region another 5-10 years slumming it at the bottom as you put it either.

If the WRU do want to make a fist of things in Newport, which I think they would want to do, then they need to show more ambition than the people who are there now. First things first, they need to get a decent coaching team in there, as I do not think the core of this team is all that bad, also there are a few good youngsters coming through, they need to tie these kids down on long term contracts so nobody else will poach them.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10635
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 40
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:49 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I don't think the WRU can take over the Dragons and just shut them down

That is exactly what happened to the Celtic Warriors.

Well it's not, is it. They didn't replace the Celtic Warriors.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21782
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 12:41 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Anyway, back to the Drags. Situation "perilous" apparently.

Yes I think so.  It wouldn't be the first time that backers have been economical with the truth to try to speed up the process - e.g. "We're doomed unless we get investment ASAP" - but on this occasion, and listening/reading the interviews with Hazell, I think the board are genuinely saying that they are going to walk in the near future therefore either someone takes over (i.e. the WRU) or the Dragons will fold.  I don't see it as a sort of threat from the board either.  I think they're genuinely saying that the WRU takeover is the only possibility as there are no other investors interested and they'll be walking away.  I guess it then comes down to the WRU to decide - do we want to fund the Dragons and pro rugby in Gwent or do we start something new elsewhere.  I can see why they might be tempted with the latter.

No WMDs in the clubhouse, is there?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6204
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 1:10 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I don't think the WRU can take over the Dragons and just shut them down and move a region to north Wales. I think they're obliged to give the New WRU Dragons a fair crack of the whip, if only so they can say, 'look, we did all we could' if the Dragons are still slumming it at the bottom of the league in 5 - 10 years' time.

Yeah, I agree. I think it's either/or. Either they take over and then run the Dragons franchise on a lease for, say, 10 years and decide what to do at the end. Which is what Hazell or Stu seem to be alluding to in their interviews when they talk about "guaranteeing rugby at RPO for the next 10 yrs". Or, they decide they won't invest in the Dragons so it inevitably folds as Hazell says they can't go on and they invest elsewhere. I don't think they'll take over to immediately shut down.


Griff

Posts : 6652
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 1:17 pm

I don't see why they'd move it to North Wales who barely scrape a crowd together and have little interest in rugby compared to football.

There is scope for a successful region in Gwent it just needs to be run correctly.

avatar
munkian

Posts : 7000
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 1:18 pm

If not in Gwent then why don't we move it to Merthyr? Very Happy

mikey_dragon

Posts : 5432
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 1:28 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:If not in Gwent then why don't we move it to Merthyr? Very Happy

I know the Dragon's pitch is dodgy at least it isn't covered in needles.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7000
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 1:42 pm

munkian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:If not in Gwent then why don't we move it to Merthyr? Very Happy

I know the Dragon's pitch is dodgy at least it isn't covered in needles.

My god you're absolutely right... WTF was I thinking!

mikey_dragon

Posts : 5432
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Kingshu on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 3:09 pm

Do Dragons or Newport RFC own RP?

I actually think Dragons have a lot of potential, they average 4,550 which is good considering where they are in the table and its been like that for a number of years. If they had a season where they were challenging for the playoffs like Scarlets, I'm sure the average would be better that Scarlets 6,632

4,550 is a very solid base to build a team up from.

I do hope they ditch the Newport Gwent part of the name, its silly having the town and then area.
It like having Dumbarton Glasgow Warriors.
I do understand the objection to losing the Newport part, but Gwent Dragons or just the Dragons does sound better.

Kingshu

Posts : 3248
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 3:15 pm

Kingshu wrote:Do Dragons or Newport RFC own RP?

I actually think Dragons have a lot of potential, they average 4,550 which is good considering where they are in the table and its been like that for a number of years. If they had a season where they were challenging for the playoffs like Scarlets, I'm sure the average would be better that Scarlets 6,632

4,550 is a very solid base to build a team up from.

I do hope they ditch the Newport Gwent part of the name, its silly having the town and then area.
It like having Dumbarton Glasgow Warriors.
I do understand the objection to losing the Newport part, but Gwent Dragons or just the Dragons does sound better.

Newport RFC.

Problem with just 'Dragons' is that is a very generic name, especially in Wales - plus the Scarlets have a Dragon as their symbol too.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7000
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Kingshu on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 3:41 pm

Maybe rebrand to the Zilants

or play in Blue and Black like the coat of arms for Gwent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_heraldry#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Gwent.svg

a nice shade of blue like maybe Cambridge Blue and black?

Kingshu

Posts : 3248
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Steffan on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm

Surely just calling themselves 'Gwent' would be a easy and unified (and marketable) thing to do?

Steffan

Posts : 7508
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:09 pm

Kingshu wrote:Maybe rebrand to the Zilants

or play in Blue and Black like the coat of arms for Gwent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_heraldry#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Gwent.svg

a nice shade of blue like maybe Cambridge Blue and black?

That's basically our away kit.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 5432
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:33 pm

Kingshu wrote:Do Dragons or Newport RFC own RP?

I actually think Dragons have a lot of potential, they average 4,550 which is good considering where they are in the table and its been like that for a number of years. If they had a season where they were challenging for the playoffs like Scarlets, I'm sure the average would be better that Scarlets 6,632

4,550 is a very solid base to build a team up from.

I do hope they ditch the Newport Gwent part of the name, its silly having the town and then area.
It like having Dumbarton Glasgow Warriors.
I do understand the objection to losing the Newport part, but Gwent Dragons or just the Dragons does sound better.

THIS.

And the fact that Newport along is the third most populous area in Wales (or 4th) and the fact that Gwent has 500k and 73 clubs is the reason the region won't be moved north

GavinDragon

Posts : 2545
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:34 pm

Kingshu wrote:Maybe rebrand to the Zilants

or play in Blue and Black like the coat of arms for Gwent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_heraldry#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Gwent.svg

a nice shade of blue like maybe Cambridge Blue and black?

I would go for a name that reflected the industry thank links the entire region. Gwent Steelers would be my preference.

GavinDragon

Posts : 2545
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:36 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
Kingshu wrote:Do Dragons or Newport RFC own RP?

I actually think Dragons have a lot of potential, they average 4,550 which is good considering where they are in the table and its been like that for a number of years. If they had a season where they were challenging for the playoffs like Scarlets, I'm sure the average would be better that Scarlets 6,632

4,550 is a very solid base to build a team up from.

I do hope they ditch the Newport Gwent part of the name, its silly having the town and then area.
It like having Dumbarton Glasgow Warriors.
I do understand the objection to losing the Newport part, but Gwent Dragons or just the Dragons does sound better.

THIS.

And the fact that Newport along is the third most populous area in Wales (or 4th) and the fact that Gwent has 500k and 73 clubs is the reason the region won't be moved north to Merthyr

Adjusted that for you.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 5432
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:47 pm

Steffan wrote:Surely just calling themselves 'Gwent' would be a easy and unified (and marketable) thing to do?

I've been calling for this for years. Agree with the previous post that 'Dragons' on its own is too vague. A place name in sport means a lot and avoids confusing with the likes of Catalan Dragons and (I think) Wrexham football.

Griff

Posts : 6652
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:50 pm

Kingshu wrote:Maybe rebrand to the Zilants

or play in Blue and Black like the coat of arms for Gwent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_heraldry#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Gwent.svg

a nice shade of blue like maybe Cambridge Blue and black?

Yeah, as others have said that's what we've already done for an away kit. It's actually my favourite Dragons kit. Apart from the 'Rasta' coloured jersey we had around 2005. That was my fave. Still got one somewhere.

Griff

Posts : 6652
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 5:02 pm

I have read on WoL Mike Ruddock saying that the reasons are manufactured compared to the Irish provinces which were geographically formed.

But Gwent is in the same boat in that regard.

It has an ancient history - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Gwent

A more modern history - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwent_(county)

And a rugby history - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPKMDv0-3BE

Not to mention it is georgraphically bigger than any one of it's constituent clubs and it's whole player development pathway is about being the best in the area to go on and represent it. I don't understand why one wouldn't build on it?

GavinDragon

Posts : 2545
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum