The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

+23
TightHEAD
geoff999rugby
St John The Enforcer
glamorganalun
XR
Recwatcher16
bedfordwelsh
prop_lyd
Kingshu
BigGee
carpet baboon
Steffan
True Raven
Cardiff Dave
international198
demosthenes
wayne
Hero
PhilBB
LordDowlais
GavinDragon
munkian
RiscaGame
27 posters

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 14 Empty Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

I understand that some players haven't had a break for a while, but still, either it's a must-win game (with a bonus point) or it isn't.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif Thu 04 May 2017, 11:43 am

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Just seen "#REGIONONTHEROAD".
No comment.

Was this related to Dragons going to Caerphilly? If so, seems like a contradiction in terms as Caerphilly is in the region!

Aye.
Thought Caerphilly was in the Cardiff reejun, so there we are. 14 years on and i'm still not up to speed with what's what and who goes where.

I was just basing it on Caerphilly being one of the 5 unitary authorities that came from the break up of Gwent (along with Newport, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent and Torfaen), so Gwent at some point included Caerphilly. Plus our training facilities being located in Caerphilly too (Ystrad Mynach). When we moved training there from Newport it was heralded as 'going regional' so Caerphilly must be part of the Dragons region, at least in part.

Gwent CBC only covered Islwyn, Caerphilly would have been Glamorgan.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame Thu 04 May 2017, 1:44 pm

wayne wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:That said, I guess the Newportonians might be watching the County, judging by their attendance being over 6k thus far

Rev by the looks of it, you're in the same boat as us (Ospreys/Swansea) our attendance is close to half of the Swans. So much for Rugby being the National sport of Wales.

This is very much a one off though. I'm not sure they've beaten our attendance otherwise and Saturday's game is huge for them and not for us. Plus I am not really sure how much pull Caerphilly has (though I am going).

Last edited by RiscaGame on Thu 04 May 2017, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 04 May 2017, 3:32 pm

wayne wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:That said, I guess the Newportonians might be watching the County, judging by their attendance being over 6k thus far

Rev by the looks of it, you're in the same boat as us (Ospreys/Swansea) our attendance is close to half of the Swans. So much for Rugby being the National sport of Wales.

How many pro/semi pro football teams are there in west Wales compared to pro/semi pro rugby teams ? I bet there are about twice as many rugby teams. This is such a lame argument. If you added both Scarlets and Opsreys attendances then you will not be far off what Swansea City FC are getting week in week out. Plus add in all the people who watch Neath RFC, Bridgend RFC, Swansea RFC, Llanelli RFC, Llandovery RFC and so on.

It's the same when people compare Cardiff FC to any of the rugby teams in east Wales. The argument is such a non starter.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 04 May 2017, 9:46 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
wayne wrote:

How many pro/semi pro football teams are there in west Wales compared to pro/semi pro rugby teams ? I bet there are about twice as many rugby teams. This is such a lame argument. If you added both Scarlets and Opsreys attendances then you will not be far off what Swansea City FC are getting week in week out. Plus add in all the people who watch Neath RFC, Bridgend RFC, Swansea RFC, Llanelli RFC, Llandovery RFC and so on.

It's the same when people compare Cardiff FC to any of the rugby teams in east Wales. The argument is such a non starter.

You're right. I never ever see anyone in Wales in a Man U, Chelsea or Barcelona shirt. Never.

I suppose there would be more registered rugby players in Wales than football players if the argument is such a non starter.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 05 May 2017, 4:35 am

RiscaGame wrote:I can't believe Virginia Park is only 5K and it is still a thousand short of reaching capacity. That's disappointing.

Do people know there's a game on though? Hardly a mention of it on the chummy Beeb website, which I guess is the place that many still get their sporting news.
All fits if ewe ask me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 05 May 2017, 8:26 am

Stone Motif wrote:I never ever see anyone in Wales in a Man U, Chelsea or Barcelona shirt. Never.

What has that got to do with anything ? Of course you see these shirts, they are massive brands, I doubt many people from Wales go and watch those teams every week though. I am comparing like for like.

Swansea City FC draw their support from the same area as Llanelli Scarlets and Ospreys. Cardiff City FC draw all their support from the same area's as Cardiff Blues and NGD. The football clubs do not really have as much competition, Merthyr Fc and Newport FC I suppose, but that is nothing compared to the hundreds of rugby clubs in the same catchment areas.

Rugby is just as much supported in Wales as Football.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 05 May 2017, 10:30 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:I never ever see anyone in Wales in a Man U, Chelsea or Barcelona shirt. Never.

What has that got to do with anything ? Of course you see these shirts, they are massive brands, I doubt many people from Wales go and watch those teams every week though. I am comparing like for like.

Swansea City FC draw their support from the same area as Llanelli Scarlets and Ospreys. Cardiff City FC draw all their support from the same area's as Cardiff Blues and NGD. The football clubs do not really have as much competition, Merthyr Fc and Newport FC I suppose, but that is nothing compared to the hundreds of rugby clubs in the same catchment areas.

Lord, little question for you. How many Rugby clubs are there in the Ospreys Region? and a supplementary, how many Adult Football Teams are there in the Swansea and District Football Leagues. When you've done that go and have a look at all the other Football Leagues in the Osprey Region. Finally who clashes more with their respective teams. Ospreys or Swansea FC.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 05 May 2017, 12:02 pm

wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Lord, little question for you. How many Rugby clubs are there in the Ospreys Region? Just to answer for you there were 77 a few seasons ago, since then a few have crumbled so it is probably around 70 to 75

Supplementary, how many Adult Football Teams are there in the Swansea and District Football Leagues. Did your work for you, there are 77 now.
When you've done that go and have a look at all the other Football Leagues in the Osprey Region. There are 4 local Leagues Swansea, Bridgend, Neath and Port Talbot, these are generally in total competition with Swansea ie same ko time 3PM on a Saturday. In those 4 leagues there are over 180 teams, add in the teams that play in the Welsh League, South Wales Alliance you are up to over 200 teams regularly playing at the same time as the Swans.
As a for instance I can tell you there are more people watching Llangeinor AFC in their home Bridgend and District League game than watch Pontycymmer in Div 3a Central. There are also 3 other Football teams in the Garw Valley and NO other Rugby teams.
Finally who clashes more with their respective teams. Ospreys or Swansea FC.  This past season we (Ospreys) have played 6 games on a Friday Night, 8 on a Saturday and even 2 on a Sunday, with one other Scarlets on a Tuesday. What is to stop these so called Rugby supporters of all the other clubs just within Ospreylia from attending the vast majority of our games, even some of the Saturday games could be watched, especially Swansea, Neath and Aberavon supporters.
In conclusion the National Sport of Wales is truly obviously Football.
You also enjoy quoting the Fail, I don't know if they still do it but the South Wales Echo on a Monday used to give a list of the Football Tables for Cardiff. There were vastly more tables and Teams in their Football section, than for ALL the Rugby Teams and matches for the WHOLE OF Wales in Wales on Sunday.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 05 May 2017, 12:03 pm

wayne wrote:Lord, little question for you. How many Rugby clubs are there in the Ospreys Region? and a supplementary, how many Adult Football Teams are there in the Swansea and District Football Leagues. When you've done that go and have a look at all the other Football Leagues in the Osprey Region. Finally who clashes more with their respective teams. Ospreys or Swansea FC.

Hi wayne,

I am not talking about pub league teams here, how many people will go and watch the Dog and Duck V the Red Cow on a Saturday afternoon ?

The thing is, there are a lot more supported rugby teams in South Wales, than there are football teams.

According to Wikipedea there are 320 registered rugby clubs, and there are 165 registered football clubs, there are almost twice as many rugby clubs as there are football clubs that draw support, whilst I agree that there might be a lot more pub sides they will not be drawing swathes of supporters away form our four regions.

What we need to factor in as well, is the fact that Wales, and South Wales in particular is a very deprived place to live, outside the cities, most people do not have the time or money to support two rugby teams at once, so for most it is either their club, or their region.

I know this is impossible, but if you could add together, all the people who go and watch a football club in South Wales together, and compare that to all the people who will go and watch a rugby club, then I do not think the figures would be that far apart.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 05 May 2017, 12:14 pm

Sorry I quoted South Wales, what I meant was within the catchment area of Swansea City and Cardiff city. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 05 May 2017, 12:36 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
wayne wrote:Lord, little question for you. How many Rugby clubs are there in the Ospreys Region? and a supplementary, how many Adult Football Teams are there in the Swansea and District Football Leagues. When you've done that go and have a look at all the other Football Leagues in the Osprey Region. Finally who clashes more with their respective teams. Ospreys or Swansea FC.

Hi wayne,

I am not talking about pub league teams here, how many people will go and watch the Dog and Duck V the Red Cow on a Saturday afternoon ?

The thing is, there are a lot more supported rugby teams in South Wales, than there are football teams.

According to Wikipedea there are 320 registered rugby clubs, and there are 165 registered football clubs, there are almost twice as many rugby clubs as there are football clubs that draw support, whilst I agree that there might be a lot more pub sides they will not be drawing swathes of supporters away form our four regions.

What we need to factor in as well, is the fact that Wales, and South Wales in particular is a very deprived place to live, outside the cities, most people do not have the time or money to support two rugby teams at once, so for most it is either their club, or their region.

I know this is impossible, but if you could add together, all the people who go and watch a football club in South Wales together, and compare that to all the people who will go and watch a rugby club, then I do not think the figures would be that far apart.

Lord these are not pub teams, they are village teams that have been established for very many years, the pub teams play on a Sunday, No you are right they don't pull them away from the Regions, what they are doing is drawing them away from the Swans and Bluebirds, there are vastly more Football Participants and supporters than Rugby, the Wikipedia stats are years out of date they have my birthplace Team Llangeinor in the Welsh League, they were chucked out years ago for irregularities and IIRC they don't include any of the League Teams I mentioned and reserve Leagues.

As for the deprivation we have ST on sale right now of £165 for 18 games next season, the Swans if they stay up is OVER DOUBLE that figure for somebody of my age it is £125 this season and if they renew as I've just done it is £90, FFS that is at least a quarter of the Swans, and they will have over a double supporters than us, so don't talk to me about deprivation.
I have to pick my grand daughter up from school now so expect to come back in a few hours.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 05 May 2017, 2:26 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I can't believe Virginia Park is only 5K and it is still a thousand short of reaching capacity. That's disappointing.

Do people know there's a game on though? Hardly a mention of it on the chummy Beeb website, which I guess is the place that many still get their sporting news.
All fits if ewe ask me.

It seems the Dregs don't know there's a game on, seeing as they forgot to post my ticket laughing

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 05 May 2017, 2:32 pm

FFS. The ticket office is shut tomorrow as well.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 05 May 2017, 2:36 pm

Yeah, I had to leave work early. Good job I'm not tasked away today.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 May 2017, 2:37 pm

15 Carl Meyer, 14 Adam Hughes, 13 Tyler Morgan, 12 Sam Beard, 11 Pat Howard, 10 Angus O’Brien, 9 Charlie Davies; 1 Sam Hobbs, 2 Thomas Rhys Thomas, 3 Brok Harris, 4 Matthew Screech, 5 Cory Hill, 6 Lewis Evans ©, 7 Nic Cudd, 8 Ollie Griffiths.

Replacements: Ellis Shipp, Phil Price, Craig Mitchell, Rynard Landman, Harrison Keddie, Sarel Pretorius, Geraint Rhys Jones, Jack Dixon.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 6:35 pm

wayne wrote:

The national Sport of Wales is truly obviously Football.
You also enjoy quoting the Fail, I don't know if they still do it but the South Wales Echo on a Monday used to give a list of the Football Tables for Cardiff. There were vastly more tables and Teams in their Football section, than for ALL the Rugby Teams and matches for the WHOLE OF Wales in Wales on Sunday.

Wayne, national sport is not determined by playing or supporting numbers. Never has been and never will be. Call it most watched instead if you want. But 'national sport' is different. It transcends time and doesn't change due to fluctuations in support and changes in trends. Statistically nearly every country in the world would have football as the national sport. But that is not the case. Even NZ has higher participation numbers in football than rugby if memory serves, but rugby is clearly their national sport. Another example: Pato (a game played on horseback) is Argentina's national sport when most might identify them as being a completely football mad nation. Scotland is golf, apparently. England's is cricket. I don't make the rules! And nor do the fans.

National sport is something more ingrained. It is more cultural and historic. Just because support for pro club rugby is taking a dip currently in Wales does not mean it is succeeded as the national sport by another.[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 05 May 2017, 6:54 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Hi wayne,

How many of those established rugby teams have failed to fulfil fixtures this season and/or had 150 point bumming because they can't even put 15 players on the park? It's Mickey Mouse hoss shizzle like this that holds the game back in Wales. Rugby is by far the secondary sport by any robust measure.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 05 May 2017, 9:10 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:FFS. The ticket office is shut tomorrow as well.

Ewe shewer?
Need ticket to use the free bus service too I guess.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 10:35 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Ewe shewer?

You going Dave? Let's meet for a ruby in Bedwas Balti afterwards. Neutral turf. You're buying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 06 May 2017, 5:08 am

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Ewe shewer?

You going Dave? Let's meet for a ruby in Bedwas Balti afterwards. Neutral turf. You're buying.

Fat chance. My weekly out of the house ration was yesterday.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 06 May 2017, 11:17 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Ewe shewer?

Can't she understand this may be your last chance to see this historic fixture played at the pro level/be there as the Drags embrace the region by playing at Caerphilly* for the first/last* time ever? Women!

* delete as appropriate
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 06 May 2017, 11:22 am

LordDowlais wrote:What we need to factor in as well, is the fact that Wales, and South Wales in particular is a very deprived place to live, outside the cities, most people do not have the time or money to support two rugby teams at once, so for most it is either their club, or their region.

Then why doesn't his Lordship go and buy their season tickets?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 06 May 2017, 12:39 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Ewe shewer?

Can't she understand this may be your last chance to see this historic fixture played at the pro level/be there as the Drags embrace the region by playing at Caerphilly* for the first/last* time ever? Women!

* delete as appropriate

Wish it were as simple as that.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 06 May 2017, 8:24 pm

Cat fly pigeons works spanner ointment. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 09 May 2017, 8:11 am

Tory boy just can't stop spinning. Should play for Glamorgan.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 09 May 2017, 8:18 am

Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:There is a consortium of private investors also interested...apparently. But, like savvy investors, they want WRU involvement to limit their risk as they would not be investing in a fixed asset.

Rumours are Blues and Scarlets also want WRU involvement.

Don't believe everything Davey tweets FFS

Everything or anything?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 May 2017, 12:22 pm

Tonight's the night!

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 09 May 2017, 12:25 pm

Ollie Griffiths, Tyler Morgan and Cory Hill to tour with Wales this Summer.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 May 2017, 3:19 pm

munkian wrote:Ollie Griffiths, Tyler Morgan and Cory Hill to tour with Wales this Summer.

That's great. Great news for Ollie who is class.

What about Amos? Injured? Sorry I should just look it up!

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 09 May 2017, 4:17 pm

Griff wrote:Tonight's the night!

Griff what time is this meeting due to start?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 09 May 2017, 4:30 pm

Griff wrote:
munkian wrote:Ollie Griffiths, Tyler Morgan and Cory Hill to tour with Wales this Summer.

That's great.  Great news for Ollie who is class.

What about Amos?  Injured?  Sorry I should just look it up!

I'm not saying we'd be in the playoffs, but Hallam Amos would have made some difference if we'd had him all season. He makes things happen (him and Ashton Hewitt), like Steff Evans at the Scarlets.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 09 May 2017, 7:08 pm

Gotta be a full moon, shewerly...

"Peter Thomas, revealed to the club’s shareholders that the WRU will take over the franchise of Cardiff Blues from 1st July this year."

https://cf10rugbytrust.org/blog/the-truth-is-out-there

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 09 May 2017, 9:21 pm

The thread title needs changing...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 09 May 2017, 9:22 pm

The vote is yes

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 09 May 2017, 9:23 pm

Boomshanka!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 09 May 2017, 9:44 pm

Does this mean we're officially the regionalest region? Wayne will be happy
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 May 2017, 10:28 pm

Back in the game!

The WRagUns!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 May 2017, 10:40 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

"Peter Thomas, revealed to the club’s shareholders that the WRU will take over the franchise of Cardiff Blues from 1st July this year."

WRU Dragons and the WRU Capital Blues. Yeah!

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 10 May 2017, 2:39 am

Griff wrote:

Amos can't be fully fit or I assume he would've been involved v the WRU Blues. Our illustrious leader did ask that he didn't get used for this tour anyway. Best thing for him and Hewitt is to continue resting now until pre-season.

Great news tonight. Best buy a season ticket asap before the hordes of disenfranchised masses start populating our stands/terraces.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 10 May 2017, 5:18 am

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

WRU Dragons and the WRU Capital Blues. Yeah!

Think PT was sent for an HIA after blurting out that info. Nurse!?
That's it then for both I reckon. Maybe.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 10 May 2017, 5:24 am

RiscaGame wrote:
Griff wrote:

Amos can't be fully fit or I assume he would've been involved v the WRU Blues. Our illustrious leader did ask that he didn't get used for this tour anyway. Best thing for him and Hewitt is to continue resting now until pre-season.

Great news tonight. Best buy a season ticket asap before the hordes of disenfranchised masses start populating our stands/terraces.

Padlock your bikes, tie on your wheel trims, etc. Invasion imminent. Nah not really.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 10 May 2017, 5:32 am

Stone Motif wrote:The thread title needs changing...

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 dead?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 10 May 2017, 7:35 am

Stone Motif wrote:Does this mean we're officially the regionalest region? Wayne will be happy

Of course the Bloos will be the regionalest coz they're the capitalest.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 10 May 2017, 7:37 am

Thank the Lord, sense has prevailed. Yahoo

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 10 May 2017, 7:37 am

Serious question;
do they ie those running the whole show in Wales, have some kind of plan?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Wed 10 May 2017, 8:17 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:Serious question;
do they ie those running the whole show in Wales, have some kind of plan?

https://thevietgwent.wordpress.com/2017/03/19/dai-sport-a-fictional-month-by-month-account-of-how-the-welsh-rugby-union-ends-up-taking-over-regional-rugby-in-the-next-year/

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 10 May 2017, 8:26 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:

There's an interesting twitter hashtag trending for cf10rugbytrust Shocked Very Happy Laugh
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 10 May 2017, 8:30 am

Common sense prevails in Newport. Thank God. Hopefully now the WRU can start turning Dragons into a half decent outfit, first things first, get rid of every hanger onner down there, including the likes of Stuart Davies, and start running it more professionally.

Get all the clubs in Gwent pulling in the same direction. There is obviously something there, we can see this by the players called up by team Wales from the region in the latest Welsh squad.

Onwards and upwards. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 10 May 2017, 8:47 am

West, East, North by 2020.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 10 May 2017, 9:55 am

So basically, NOT even Newport RFC members were interested in the result of this exercise, just over a thousand were eligible to vote, and even with the chance to Postal Vote, Proxy Vote or attend on the night, only 429 could be bothered 351 voted Yes and 78 No.

So in reality the best opportunity for survival of Regional Rugby in Gwent has been seized, let's now hope the rest of the County joins in.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next