The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

+61
Fiddler
exileray
Hood83
Hazel Sapling
RuggerRadge2611
mikey_dragon
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
lostinwales
mid_gen
Rory_Gallagher
prop_lyd
Cumbrian
BigGee
Smudge21
RiscaGame
propdavid_london
Geordie
Sgt_Pooly
formerly known as Sam
Scottrf
king_carlos
LondonTiger
Bathite
Fluxy
englishborn
Welly
beshocked
rosbif
sensisball
yappysnap
Recwatcher16
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ScarletSpiderman
Gooseberry
cascough
munkian
aucklandlaurie
BamBam
Pete330v2
St John The Enforcer
Margin_Walker
WELL-PAST-IT
carpet baboon
BigTrevsbigmac
Tattie Scones RRN
Rugby Fan
demosthenes
SirJohnnyEnglish
ChequeredJersey
TheMildlyFranticLlama
B91212
whocares
HongKongCherry
No 7&1/2
EWT Spoons
SirBurger
nathan
InjuredYetAgain
geoff999rugby
stnick88
65 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 21 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by stnick88 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 14:37

First topic message reminder :

Gordon Reid is off to Irish.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 21 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Jul 2017, 09:59

nathan wrote:Apparently Tigers are now looking at Halfpenny, I'm guessing the cost of him will have reduced now as he hasn't a team for next year.

Hmm. Unless he is cheap, not a signing I would be happy with.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 21 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by nathan Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:22

beshocked wrote:
nathan wrote:Apparently Tigers are now looking at Halfpenny, I'm guessing the cost of him will have reduced now as he hasn't a team for next year.

What that means for Mckenzie I don't know.

Would you be pleased if you brought him in?

I know Ford is used to having a goal kicker at international level to look after him but surely it would be good for Ford to take more responsibility in goal kicking?

I would prefer the running threat of Mckenzie over the kicking of halfpenny, he would fit into our back 3 better. Hopefully Ford gets the extra help that burns did as his kicking improved no end in the last 2 seasons

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:28

mikey_dragon wrote:
demosthenes wrote:Glasgow have signed Siosiua Halanukonuka the Tonga / Highlanders prop,  according to Tongan sources.

I'm unfamiliar. Did he feature against the Lions and if so, how'd it go for him?

He was off the bench vs the Crusaders at the weekend, IIRC he did the same vs the Lions
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:31

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
demosthenes wrote:Glasgow have signed Siosiua Halanukonuka the Tonga / Highlanders prop,  according to Tongan sources.

I'm unfamiliar. Did he feature against the Lions and if so, how'd it go for him?

He was off the bench vs the Crusaders at the weekend, IIRC he did the same vs the Lions

Either way it seems like a good signing for them. Rennie is building a squad that can compete when the internationals are away.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 25 Jul 2017, 11:10

nathan wrote:
beshocked wrote:

I know Ford is used to having a goal kicker at international level to look after him but surely it would be good for Ford to take more responsibility in goal kicking?

I would prefer the running threat of Mckenzie over the kicking of halfpenny, he would fit into our back 3 better. Hopefully Ford gets the extra help that burns did as his kicking improved no end in the last 2 seasons

Ford would probably prefer to keep the responsibility like he did for England in the summer and Bath for the last few years. Helps push his international credentials. Ford has never been one to shirk duties and his technique is good I think his problems surround his fundamental lack of power which often sees him try to force the kick and ruin his good technique. Hopefully our new S&C staff can help that a bit.

McKenzie would be preferable because he can kick very well, play multiple positions and fits the back three make up better than Halfpenny. Can't complain if an international fullback arrives on a cut price deal because he's been released at an unfortunate time though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 25 Jul 2017, 12:39

I mean Halfpenny used to be quite a decent attacking player.
Maybe outside of France and Gatland he might rediscover it. He is still only 27/28 so should have a couple more season in his prime.

Granted big MIGHT but for the right price we could do alot worse.

Not sure it will happen though.

I'm not too worried about the fact he would be away during internationals really, we would still have Veainu and would be a good time to play Holmes or Worth.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 25 Jul 2017, 15:19

nathan wrote:
beshocked wrote:

To give you some stats from the Super Rugby competition this year:

Super Rugby's best attackers:
Metres:
1. Damian McKenzie (Chiefs) 1565
2. James Lowe (Chiefs) 1274
3. Courtnall Skosan (Lions) 1162

Carries:
1. Damian McKenzie (Chiefs) 223
2. Amanaki Mafi (Rebels) 196
3. Clayton Blommetjies (Cheetahs) 187

Defenders beaten:
1. Damian McKenzie (Chiefs) 74
2. David Havili (Crusaders) 58
3. Cheslin Kolbe (Stormers) 58

I'm afraid that currently comparing DM to Leigh Halfpenny in terms of strike running chops is a bit like comparing a Ford Focus to a Bugatti Veyron.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 25 Jul 2017, 16:09

I don't think anyone is comparing them.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 25 Jul 2017, 16:48

Lowe will be a great signing for Leinster

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 25 Jul 2017, 17:59

Bathite wrote:Lowe will be a great signing for Leinster

The Leinster squad is growing ominously. I feel they are in a similar place to Leicester in that their strongest 23 is a few players staying fit and in form from looking outstanding on paper. How 'on paper' translates to on the pitch can only be seen if those players get/stay fit of course. As Tigers fans know only too well in recent years...

9.McGrath 10.Sexton 11.D Kearney 12.Henshaw 13.Ringrose 14.Lowe 15.R Kearney

Scott Fardy is an excellent acquisition. Much like Fardy the player it has swept a bit under the radar and hype but he's a very strong international. The plan to play him at lock has raised some eyebrows but I can see that partnership with Toner working well. The back row options aren't short anyway with SOB, JvdF, Jordi Murphy, Rhys Ruddock, Jack Conan and Heaslip.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 26 Jul 2017, 08:44

king_carlos wrote:

The Leinster squad is growing ominously. I feel they are in a similar place to Leicester in that their strongest 23 is a few players staying fit and in form from looking outstanding on paper. How 'on paper' translates to on the pitch can only be seen if those players get/stay fit of course. As Tigers fans know only too well in recent years...

Scott Fardy is an excellent acquisition. Much like Fardy the player it has swept a bit under the radar and hype but he's a very strong international. The plan to play him at lock has raised some eyebrows but I can see that partnership with Toner working well. The back row options aren't short anyway with SOB, JvdF, Jordi Murphy, Rhys Ruddock, Jack Conan and Heaslip.

Fair few of that backline will be injured for the start of the season I think ? Are the Kearneys anything to shout about these days ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Wed 26 Jul 2017, 08:58

munkian wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Fair few of that backline will be injured for the start of the season I think ? Are the Kearneys anything to shout about these days ?

Not really, but I imagine Adam Byrne and Joey Carbery can slot in nicely!

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 26 Jul 2017, 09:11

Glad to see the Dragon's media and PR department is as on point as ever...

THE DRAGONS have signed a pair of hookers after former Wales front rower Rhys Thomas decided to hang up his boots to pursue his coaching career with the academy.

The Rodney Parade side have snapped up Welsh-qualified Gerard Ellis from London Irish and Liam Belcher from Cardiff Blues who have both been training at Ystrad Mynach under the watchful eye of new boss Bernard Jackman.

The pair will tussle with Elliot Dee and Rhys Buckley for the number 2 jersey with Thomas taking on an academy role at the end of an illustrious career that saw him win 27 caps.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/15432781.Dragons_snap_up_two_hookers_as_former_Wales_ace_Thomas_pursues_coaching_career/?ref=eb
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 26 Jul 2017, 10:54

George Carlin wrote:
nathan wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Metres:

Carries:

Defenders beaten:

I'm afraid that currently comparing DM to Leigh Halfpenny in terms of strike running chops is a bit like comparing a Ford Focus to a Bugatti Veyron.

Who's comparing them both in terms of strike running?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:28

George Carlin wrote:
nathan wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Metres:

Carries:

Defenders beaten:

Laugh Ale

Well said.

Impressive stats. Quite funny though.

Oh we can't get Mckenzie so let's bring in a place kicker to help out Ford.... Whistle

I should add personally I don't think George Ford needs a place kicker to help him. Should look to evolve himself.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:51

Maybe it's just the case of Halfpenny needing a team for the season and Tigers needing a 15 for the season.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 Jul 2017, 14:44

Welly wrote: Maybe it's just the case of Halfpenny needing a team for the season and Tigers needing a 15 for the season.

More a case of the former woth an agent that's getting very desperate if you ask me. Bath have come out and rubbished rumours connecting them with Halfpenny. Starting to look a little panicky with his agent.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Jul 2017, 14:54

nathan wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
nathan wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Metres:

Carries:

Defenders beaten:

Who's comparing them both in terms of strike running?
Damian McKenzie's mum.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 26 Jul 2017, 14:59

munkian wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Rob Kearney showed against the ABs in Chicago that he still has enough in the tank to produce very good performances. Whether he can stay fit enough to do it regularly is a different question.

At 28 Dave Kearney should have plenty of rugby left in him. He hasn't struggled with injury nearly as much as Rob has either?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 26 Jul 2017, 15:06

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Welly wrote: Maybe it's just the case of Halfpenny needing a team for the season and Tigers needing a 15 for the season.

More a case of the former woth an agent that's getting very desperate if you ask me. Bath have come out and rubbished rumours connecting them with Halfpenny. Starting to look a little panicky with his agent.

Depends what you hear.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 26 Jul 2017, 15:40

king_carlos wrote:
munkian wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Rob Kearney showed against the ABs in Chicago that he still has enough in the tank to produce very good performances. Whether he can stay fit enough to do it regularly is a different question.

At 28 Dave Kearney should have plenty of rugby left in him. He hasn't struggled with injury nearly as much as Rob has either?

Im still not convinced that an exhibition game against a NZ XV is a benchmark but I'll guess we'll see.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 Jul 2017, 15:42

Welly wrote:

Depends what you hear.

I've seen an article with Bath rubbishing reports. I doubt neither Halfpenny nor his agent are happy with a situation where he is on the market but very few teams have a) the wage cap space or b) the funds to afford him. The longer it goes on the more concessions they'll have to make in terms of salary. At this rate he'll miss chunks of pre season as well which won't help.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 Jul 2017, 16:09

Also DMAC has given an interview, was asked about the Tigers rumours and he sad "no answer", reporter asked again and his response "no answer". He did confirm he has a contract next year though.

Earlier in the summer Tigers head of recruitment gave an interview and said sometimes you need to release players to make sure you have the best squad for next season and for 2018/19. Could be that Tigers are playing the long game? Halfpenny on a one year deal to cover until then?

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/putting-together-a-squad-is-a-giant-jigsaw-2017-06-15

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 16:28

formerly known as Sam wrote:Could be that Tigers are playing the long game? Halfpenny on a one year deal to cover until then?

That's my hope too. A one year deal would also suit Halfpenny as he tries to recover some of his former value. Fissler is a Kumquat but he's generally reliable and he recently said Halfpenny didn't have even a low offer (he mentioned £250k) to negotiate with. If he can be picked up for JPP's salary - or even JPP's + Betham's - I think it'd be a fine result for Tigers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 26 Jul 2017, 16:33

DMac is contracted with the Chiefs until this time next year - while he could be released (ker-ching) early, with Cruden leaving and Ben Smith going on sabbatical he's got a massive opportunity to force himself into the the ABs' prime 23 covering 10 & 15 even though he's currently slipped behind Barrett (J) in the pecking order in NZ. And a move overseas this time next year would nix his chances of playing in RWC 19. So possibly his agent is doing a bit of work ahead of his next NZR contract chat.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 26 Jul 2017, 16:54

Welly wrote:

Depends what you hear.

What do you mean? Been fairly confident that we've never been in for him. He visited farleigh last year, but we didn't follow up. But I said burgess was rubbish too - what do I know.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 Jul 2017, 17:46

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:DMac is contracted with the Chiefs until this time next year - while he could be released (ker-ching) early, with Cruden leaving and Ben Smith going on sabbatical he's got a massive opportunity to force himself into the the ABs' prime 23 covering 10 & 15 even though he's currently slipped behind Barrett (J) in the pecking order in NZ. And a move overseas this time next year would nix his chances of playing in RWC 19. So possibly his agent is doing a bit of work ahead of his next NZR contract chat.

I'm sure his agent is playing both sides. The Chiefs are losing their coach and half backs this summer. DMAC might not like what the replacements are.

His NZ chances will be limited even with Ben Smith have some time off. Barrett, Mo'unga, Black, Lima S are all up there at 10 and at 15 the other Barret and Dagg with Smith still going to return before the RWC. He'll have to play out of his skin to get a look in and he doesn't seem a coach favourite.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:32

Bathite wrote:
Welly wrote:

Depends what you hear.

What do you mean? Been fairly confident that we've never been in for him. He visited farleigh last year, but we didn't follow up. But I said burgess was rubbish too - what do I know.

meant Tigers and Halfpenny.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 27 Jul 2017, 17:30

Mckenzie was interviewed and just smiled and said no comment when asked about the tigers rumours. Doesn't really tell us anything more than there are talks going on, but he could have no interest in a move and he's just trying bump up his value.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 28 Jul 2017, 14:07

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/jonny-set-leave-gloucester-leicester-250157

Jonny May ----> Tigers

Ed Slater ----> Gloucs

Apparently close to being agreed in a swap deal. There have been rumours that Jonny May wanted a move and also rumours that Tigers have been in talks with a current international winger.

Ed Slater going the other way is news to me though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 28 Jul 2017, 14:33

Makes sense.

Tigers have the locks and need the speed, Glaws need grunt in the pack and have the backs.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 28 Jul 2017, 14:46

Saracens also interested in May it seems. Wonder if that would instantly make him a better player should he go to Barnet?

Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 28 Jul 2017, 14:54

LondonTiger wrote:Saracens also interested in May it seems. Wonder if that would instantly make him a better player should he go to Barnet?

Run

Maybe if May goes to sarries we could lure Earle?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 28 Jul 2017, 15:04

There had been rumours of Earle looking for a move. Given he'd been getting game time and is on the England selectors radar it didn't seem to add up. If May and Sanjay were on the way to Sarries and leapfrogging him for game time it would make more sense though.

Either would add the pace Tigers have been lacking on the wing.

It would be a sad moment to see Slater leave but having struggled with injury and lost the captaincy a move may be a good thing for him. If Slater is moving it could suggest that Mike Williams is viewed as a lock by MOC, especially when Tigers are still being linked to back rows despite having added there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 28 Jul 2017, 17:35

I'd not be happy with that swap. Ed is a Leicester boy and a leader. He's a quality player and one I'd not like to see us lose, on form he's the kind if lock that can drag a team to a win by force of will. If we could palm Fitzgerald off instead I'd be all over that though I'm not that bothered about signing May I'd prefer Earle.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 29 Jul 2017, 08:54

Trouble is with Slater, when was the last time he fully fit and on form?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 29 Jul 2017, 10:06

nathan wrote:Trouble is with Slater, when was the last time he fully fit and on form?

It's a fair point but he's still a Leicester boy and we need to have a core of those in my opinion. I'm also hesitant to see us send over a player that would really bolster another teams pack. Slater would be a leader in a slightly rudderless front five and give Glaws added strength in both set pieces. He'd be a massive signing for them and as he is currently fit and enjoying pre season could give them early momentum.

I'd much rather have him in our changing room and have to keep looking for some pace than have the pace but see Barrow injured and us have no enforcer and severely lacking leadership in the second row.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 30 Jul 2017, 07:15

Maxed this thread out, gentlemen.

Let's move here:
https://www.606v2.com/t66133-silly-season-transfer-rumours-17-18
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21