Super Rugby 2017 Season

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Super Rugby 2017 Season

Post by Rugby Fan on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 10:52 am

First topic message reminder :

The Blues went to Melbourne and smashed the Rebels 18-56. The Rebels led something like 12-3 after about 25 minutes then just started turning the ball over and got blown away.

Rieko Ioane scored a hat trick of tries. He and his brother Akira have looked good prospects for a while.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Re: Super Rugby 2017 Season

Post by formerly known as Sam on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 1:01 pm

toml wrote:No way the Australians can get rid of the Force over the Rebels. Force are thrashing the Waratahs to get their 6th win of the season compared to the Rebels 1... It's a no brainer.

I think the Rebels will be merged into one of the other teams in order to retain their Aussie players. Losing the Force would see the ARU without a team in the Western half of the country. As you say the Force are the second best team in Australia and are supported financially by the local government in Perth (who have cash). Be mad to disband the Force.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 1:17 pm

Just saw the Sunwolves marmalised the Blues. Pretty impressive. First time in awhile I've seen a NZ team look bettered for fitness and offloading.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 10:56 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
toml wrote:No way the Australians can get rid of the Force over the Rebels. Force are thrashing the Waratahs to get their 6th win of the season compared to the Rebels 1... It's a no brainer.

I think the Rebels will be merged into one of the other teams in order to retain their Aussie players. Losing the Force would see the ARU without a team in the Western half of the country. As you say the Force are the second best team in Australia and are supported financially by the local government in Perth (who have cash). Be mad to disband the Force.

I believe the Rebels are privately owned and the owners have a contractual agreement with the ARU meaning that if they were to be axed the ARU would have to fork out millions to pay them off...so the Force will definitely be axed rather than the Rebels.

And there's plenty of talk in SA of the Cheetahs and Kings joining the PRO 12

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:27 am

Mr Fishpaste wrote:

I believe the Rebels are privately owned and the owners have a contractual agreement with the ARU meaning that if they were to be axed the ARU would have to fork out millions to pay them off...so the Force will definitely be axed rather than the Rebels.

And there's plenty of talk in SA of the Cheetahs and Kings joining the PRO 12

That's a done deal as far as we know. I'm not sure how it'll work mind but the South Africans will be an exciting addition. Do you think the SARU sees all their franchises playing up here in the long-term?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 1:45 pm

Mr Fishpaste wrote:

The Force isn't lacking finanvial support as I said above.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/07/15/11/35/force-waratahs-forrest

Had the Force fallen apart in the Super 15 it would have been the easy option but as they thumped the Waratahs at NIB at the weekend and are the only team in their half of the country it's not as simple as who owns them. As I it understand both teams have threatened legal action of they are cut.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:33 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Is the system changing again next season Pete? It seems that no matter what way it's broken down it's going to be flawed as the NZ teams are just so much better.

I read this morning that the Aussies have lost 59 Super Rugby players overseas in the last 19 months. That's painful. Condensing down to 4 teams may help a bit, but it's hard to see them coming back quickly

Surely only more money will hold players in Oz. difficult to see where that comes from tbh.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 10:24 pm

yappysnap wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Is the system changing again next season Pete? It seems that no matter what way it's broken down it's going to be flawed as the NZ teams are just so much better.

I read this morning that the Aussies have lost 59 Super Rugby players overseas in the last 19 months. That's painful. Condensing down to 4 teams may help a bit, but it's hard to see them coming back quickly

Surely only more money will hold players in Oz. difficult to see where that comes from tbh.

See my post above about a billionaire backing the Force going forward.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 9:10 am

yappysnap wrote:

See my post above about a billionaire backing the Force going forward.

Plus TV money being divided by 4 rather than 5 (theoretically) adds 20% to the per-player wage budget
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 9:18 am

Overall Quarter-final Draw

QF1: Lions vs Sharks (by losing to the Lions at the weekend the Sharks avoided a trip to NZ)

QF2: Brumbies vs Hurricanes

QF3: Crusaders vs Highlanders

QF4: Stormers vs Chiefs

Semi-finals: Winner QF1 plays QF2 & QF3 vs QF4. Home advantage to the team higher on the round robin ladder
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum