The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin McDonnell

+7
mobilemaster8
hazharrison
wheelchair1991
Jermaine2015
BallchinianMuffwig
BoxingFan88
milkyboy
11 posters

Go down

Gavin McDonnell  Empty Gavin McDonnell

Post by milkyboy Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Hardcore that we are in here, no-one could be bothered to comment on the fight last night. My brief thoughts:

Vargas looked useful with a great left hook to the body and won at a canter. Great heart and will from McDonnell who shipped plenty of punishment but kept coming back for more and probably nicked a few later rounds on workrate as he really tried to force the pace. So, not disgraced but clearly outclassed.

The disgrace was Ian John Lewis scoring it a draw.

As an aside, not sure who he was but sky seem to have found a commentator who's not a complete imbecile. Probably, the lack of tub thumping jingoistic claptrap will cost him his job, but it was refreshing to not have to turn the sound down.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Gavin McDonnell  Empty Re: Gavin McDonnell

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 pm

I haven't seen it yet but I'll be watching a recording tonight

Sounds like vargas was good value for the win and mcdonnell gave it a game effort but came up well short

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Pretty much, gavin didnt disgrace himself at all, just in with a better operator.
Campbell and Coyle's stoppages were both great!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Vargas totally outclassed McDonnell. McDonnell had no answer for Vargas' excelkevt jab and superb fighting of the back foot. Vargas is chinny but McDonnell has no power. Vargas will get taken out by the better 122 fighters.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:43 pm

The draw was disgusting, I enjoyed it last night more then I was expecting

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 am

IJK must tick a diversity box for The Board as he's inept at both reffing and scoring.

Didn't see this card but the BoxNation bill on Friday was brill. Craig Paxton fought an epic fight to upset Boy Jones - real domestic FOY candidate.

Last edited by hazharrison on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:28 am

.. presume you men judging and reffing haz.

Sadly to get a draw on Saturday it's integrity not ineptitude that comes into question. Until about round 9 the rounds weren't even close. I think sky had given him a sympathy 10-10 somewhere along the line for not losing the round as clearly as the previous ones.

When Ritchie woodhall has it as a landslide for non-Brit you know anyone scoring it a draw is off the charts.
Would love to see his card and listen to him justify it. Embarrassing.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 am

Corrected that....cough, cough....

Sounds as bad as Canelo-Floyd.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:04 am

Was surprised about the lack of comments to be fair. Luke Campbell was out again and looked good against a very overmatched operator. Reports are that Mendy rematch is next which will be tough.

McDonnell looked good last few rounds, I had Vargas by about 4-5 rounds handily, looked very good, good movement, decent power. He did tire late on when McDonnell rallied, but clung on and grinding it out. Solid victory but no disgrace for Gavin on Saturday he gave it his all and was just beaten by the better man.

IJS is a pipe. Its not on the level of CJ Ross, but its bad.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 am

I read that Tommy Coyle broke an eye socket - nightmare for him after a good KO win (caught highlights of that one).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:30 am

I watched it Milky - agree with what you posted. IJL is horrendous how does he still have a license ? I never give Mcdonnell one round personally he was landing almost next to nothing even though he upped the pace.

cheers.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Gutted I missed this as thought Jay 'Bam Bam' Carney wouldn't be on, turns out he was and had a good win as the away fighter.

Only saw the highlights of McDonnell but everyone seems to be in agreement that he left it all out there, with a couple more decent scraps he should be able to get himself back in contention.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:56 pm

I had it 8-4..........Primarily giving McDonnell anything that was relatively close which is my wont...Why I had Crolla v Linares a draw though I thought Linares deserved to win..

But 6-6.................No place in Boxing for that.......

McDonnell showed a lot of heart and shouldn't feel too bad.....Just felt he didn't commit enough till it was too late..

Good kid though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:32 pm

I think that's about right truss, the last 4 rounds were close, no argument with them being given to the guy making the fight, though generous to give them all... But 8-4 is probably as good as it gets.

Rodders, you're a hard man to please... can't find a sympathy round for McDonnell? Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:55 pm

milkyboy wrote:I think that's about right truss, the last 4 rounds were close, no argument with them being given to the guy making the fight, though generous to give them all... But 8-4 is probably as good as it gets.

Rodders, you're a hard man to please... can't find a sympathy round for McDonnell? Very Happy

I can't mate - at a push I could give him one but even in the rounds he improved I felt he was out landed and outboxed. However I'm a miserable sod and have a 6 month pregnant hormonal wife whining at me constantly so my generosity in giving rounds is limited at the moment. Very Happy

Cheers.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Rodney wrote:
milkyboy wrote:I think that's about right truss, the last 4 rounds were close, no argument with them being given to the guy making the fight, though generous to give them all... But 8-4 is probably as good as it gets.

I can't mate - at a push I could give him one but even in the rounds he improved I felt he was out landed and outboxed. However I'm a miserable sod and have a 6 month pregnant hormonal wife whining at me constantly so my generosity in giving rounds is limited at the moment. Very Happy

Cheers.

The good news is in just a few months time you'll be sleep deprived.... with a whining hormonal wife. But things will improve when she gets post-natal depression. Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:13 pm

Rodney wrote:

Cheers.

Congratulations Rod.......Six months..

Billy Conn - "You could have let me have the title and I'd have let you have it back in 6 months !!.."

Joe Louis - "6 Months ??...You had it for 12 rounds and couldn't hold on to it...How the hell were you gonna keep it for 6 months ??" thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 pm

I watched it but there wasn't much to comment on at the time really. A card where everything went the way you would expect. Glad Dave Allen got an easy nights work under him, had it tough, especially being thrown in against Ortiz. Think Hearn feels like he owes him a bit now so he's got behind him and backing him to be British Champ, good luck to him, seems like a nice guy and he's game for a fight.

Coyles ooponent was a novice, strange fight really, Rakeem Noble got thrown to the wolves a bit there IMO, 11-1 part time boxer thrown in with someone with Coyle's experience, unfair but I suppose that's boxing.

Campbell looked decent again, seemed a bit more heavy handed than usual.

McDonnel shouldn;t be anywhere near a world title fight, so in todays current climate of ABC's he looked the part haha. In all seriousness he gave it a good go but came up short against a very average looking champ

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down