The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread

+64
thomh
RDW
robbo277
poissonrouge
George Carlin
Steve_rugby
TightHEAD
bedfordwelsh
Presuming Ed
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
Totalflanker
Rugby Fan
gavstar
aucklandlaurie
BigGee
Poorfour
Rugbyjk
IanBru
LondonTiger
cascough
bsando
Scottrf
Exiledinborders
BamBam
Tattie Scones RRN
doctor_grey
Knackeredknees
ChequeredJersey
carpet baboon
Barney McGrew did it
nlpnlp
captain carrantuohil
tigertattie
pbuk0
beshocked
SecretFly
lostinwales
quinsforever
The Great Aukster
Cyril
majesticimperialman
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
Gwlad
Sin é
GunsGermsV2
BigTrevsbigmac
offload
fa0019
funnyExiledScot
TJ
mikey_dragon
reallybored
Mad for Chelsea
Hammersmith harrier
munkian
RuggerRadge2611
Gooseberry
Geordie
rodders
propdavid_london
No9
68 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread - Page 8 Empty The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread

Post by No9 Mon 27 Feb 2017, 2:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

1) Hartley - Not a chance. Playing like a Muppet, being sub'd each game, because he's not up to it. As it stands, unlikely to go on the tour, never the less be Capt.

2) Alun Wyn - Blown it. Was the first choice (IMO). Set up for him, with Warbs standing down as Welsh Capt, but AWJ loathing of being interviewed and the appalling Welsh team performance has ruined his chance of Lions Capt. The nail in the coffin being his comment this week, that he wanted to kick the penalties but Biggar and Halfpenny didn't want to..... WTF... WHO'S CAPT!!!

3) Laidlaw - Not sure of a starting place as Lions 9, and with injuries, will he be ready for the tour.

which, IMO has pushes Rory Best into the pole position for Lions Capt. With the exception of Brown, he's been the on form hooker this 6 Nations, and as Gats has already stated he would like the Lions capt to also captain his country, Best is now the first choice.

... But Warbs is a good outsider, has he's been there, works well with Gats and has the professional attitude needed. He handles the media well and is starting to show return in his form.

Thoughts...

No9

Back to top Go down

The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread

Post by beshocked Tue 07 Mar 2017, 5:34 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
beshocked wrote:Sgt Poorly don't know why you are mentioning me. As for picking and choosing that's exactly what you are doing now.

Hughes making more metres than Tipuric doesn't mean he performed better. Hughes was used frequently as a ball carrier and got smashed, noticeably by Moriarty.

Hughes deserves credit for effort but wasn't making enough of an impact. Being better than vs France and Italy doesn't mean he was particularly good. 6/10 is probably a fair rating vs Wales.

I was being ironic BS, completely lost on you yet again. I know you're not the brightest button but It's spelt POOLY thumbsup

It sometime feels like I'm debating with a 5 year old.......poorly.....jesus man.

If you are going to not say my name why should I use yours Poorly?

You and your pet imp, Bambam are the ones who regularly troll me, not the other way round.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 07 Mar 2017, 5:35 pm

BS is short for BeShocked.....obviously. What's Poorly short for?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Mar 2017, 6:23 pm

lostinwales wrote:I think England have been better against the SH sides than they have in the 6N

I think Ireland have been lacking consistency. They have had some very good and some poor performances in the last year.

This is very true.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 07 Mar 2017, 6:26 pm

Our good performances are always hampered by the fact that they all could be better (non-utilising of that space again) - continuing majoro problemo for Ireland.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 07 Mar 2017, 6:46 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
lostinwales wrote:I think England have been better against the SH sides than they have in the 6N

I think Ireland have been lacking consistency. They have had some very good and some poor performances in the last year.

This is very true.

I agree, but it takes two sides to make a match. England's NH opponents do seem to raise their game for the 6N game against them - "As long as we beat the English" has more than a grain of truth to it. The form sides each year are out to win the Grand Slam, tournament or Triple Crown. For those who aren't in the running, a white scalp is a fine consolation.

Whereas their SH opponents see them as just another NH team to beat. That might change if England consolidate their position in the top 2 of the rankings, but I think for the last decade or so England haven't been distinct enough in performance to stand out to the SH.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 07 Mar 2017, 7:01 pm

Jaysus, this 'Yis all play better against us' thing drags on.

England are on the target list because they are usually there or thereabouts in the Championship. That they wear white is much of a muchness.  The French blues need to down the Whites to have a good chance.  The Welsh reds need to down the Whites for the same reason.  The Irish greens and Scottish navy - for the same reason.

It's a nice idea "as long as we beat the English" but these sides ain't dumb either - beating the English is usually a substantial part of the journey to the title.  

Pragmatism - England are usually good enough to HAVE to play that bit better against to get the wins.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 07 Mar 2017, 7:30 pm

Superfly talks sense! Would rather be in a position where teams feel they have to raise their game tbh.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 11 Mar 2017, 1:27 pm

Not read through all the posts so apologies if this been said.

There are some thoughts saying that Warburton lost Welsh captaincy to AWJ so Gatland could pick AWJ as Lions captain.

On the flip side what if Gatland wanted Warburton to lose it so he could get his game (as he has) back to its best and then Gatland can then justify picking Warburton as skipper for Lions.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 11 Mar 2017, 1:37 pm

Warburton is a bit like Best in terms of how he leads a team - both men of good character who lead from the front on the pitch. However, they lack that real dogged aggression that I like to see in a captain. My outside pick for captain would be Peter O'Mahony but I understand that his ship has potentially sailed.

He made a big difference coming on to play against Wales. He ticks all the boxes in terms of what you are looking for from a blindside flanker.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 11 Mar 2017, 1:42 pm

I know people make the same arguments about Hartley but I wouldn't pick Best. I don't think his core skills are exceptional and I don't think his leadership is enough.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:14 pm

Warburton or AWJ.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:22 pm

Hartley then?

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:25 pm

Best's darts come back each week to haunt him, he's just not good enough.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:27 pm

Ugh perhaps. Whats most interesting is how Ireland and Scots have played themselves out of contention from being strongly favored at the beginning of th tournament, contrarily Wales firmly back in again. Right now we know that most likely England will provide perhaps even the bulk of tourists, followed by Wales with Ireland behind and sadly only a very few Scots because todays performance v England showed them up for where they truly are at.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:30 pm

So beating Ireland and Wales means nothing? We had another 4 key injuries today. Hogg, Bennett, Seymour and finally Wilson.

One bad performance condemns all of our guys, one win exonerates the Welsh team? Interesting.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:32 pm

It as to be Hartley. right.

How can you select AWJ or Warburton over Hartley? When Hartley as captained England to 2 6ns Championship in 2 years. Neither AWJ or Warburton have done that. Have they?.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:34 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:So beating Ireland and Wales means nothing? We had another 4 key injuries today. Hogg, Bennett, Seymour and finally Wilson.

One bad performance condemns all of our guys, one win exonerates the Welsh team? Interesting.
Wouldn't pay much notice.

Scotland have had a good 6N. Today wasn't good, but it was away vs a very good team who were fired up from the start with a few bad injuries.

Scotland will still finish above Wales. Unfortunately people and teams are only remembered for one game on here.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:41 pm

Scottrf wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:So beating Ireland and Wales means nothing? We had another 4 key injuries today. Hogg, Bennett, Seymour and finally Wilson.

Wouldn't pay much notice.

Scotland have had a good 6N. Today wasn't good, but it was away vs a very good team who were fired up from the start with a few bad injuries.

Scotland will still finish above Wales. Unfortunately people and teams are only remembered for one game on here.

England were tremendous today absolutely lethal in the midfield and powerful upfront. England will form the bulk of the lions team. Today for the first time they showed how strong they can be.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:44 pm

RuggerRadge2611, thanks.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:46 pm

I've heard Barclay getting touted as an outside Lions captain after a few good outings this 6N, this has been shown to be quite wide of the mark today. He lacks physicality and is a long way from being a tourist imo.

Warbs, Haryley and AWJ continue to be the front runners.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:48 pm

Why wasn't gatland there today? Or did he pick his squad last night?

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:50 pm

It wasn't injuries, it was the complete absence of defense. England scored 3 or 4 tries, for fun off first phase outside the 22, against a defense that was frankly the equivalent of a bad school side. Thats where your at. You can either accept it or delude yourselves.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:58 pm

Gwlad wrote:

It wasn't injuries, it was the complete absence of defense. England scored 3 or 4 tries, for fun off first phase outside the 22, against a defense that was frankly the equivalent of a bad school side. Thats where your at. You can either accept it or delude yourselves.

That still beat Wales...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 11 Mar 2017, 7:18 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

That still beat Wales...

So what?

This was Scotland's moment, everyone knew it. Chance to prove that this wasn't another blip and that there was some substance but from the first minute Scots showed they are unable to even defend off first phase, it was like watching men v boys. Had you put up even a semblance of a fight i would have been the first to applaud but it was a shocking display and revealed Scotland have still yet to learn the lessons we all think they have put behind them.

Meanwhile Wales did the opposite, our defense was exceptional and where we'd normally fold in the last 15 we held on and put Ireland away. Complete 360 for us, likewise for you and a disaster. But hey if you'd prefer to delude yourselves with 'we beat Wales' be my guest. You should get the BP victory v Italians and come 2nd, thats assuming you don't end up losing to them.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 11 Mar 2017, 7:24 pm

Gwlad wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

That still beat Wales...

So what?  

This was Scotland's moment, everyone knew it. Chance to prove that this wasn't another blip and that there was some substance but from the first minute Scots showed they are unable to even defend off first phase, it was like watching men v boys. Had you put up even a semblance of a fight i would have been the first to applaud but it was a shocking display and revealed Scotland have still yet to learn the lessons we all think they have put behind them.

Meanwhile Wales did the opposite, our defense was exceptional and where we'd normally fold in the last 15 we held on and put Ireland away. Complete 360 for us, likewise for you and a disaster. But hey if you'd prefer to delude yourselves with 'we beat Wales' be my guest. You should get the BP victory v Italians and come 2nd, thats assuming you don't end up losing to them.

Yes I'd imagine we will take the bonus point against Italy. But England were exceptional today. Why can't you praise their performance instead of criticising Scotland? We had a tough day today and lost 5 players to injury, 2 of them on the 1st 20 minutes including our best player and his replacement.

We were very unfortunate and Joseph was unplayable today. I seriously doubt Wales could have done any more to stem that tide compared to Scotland.

Like I said how does one bad performance condemn us and one good performance make your team amazing again? I just don't see it.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 11 Mar 2017, 7:32 pm

How was the Wales defence last time they came to Twickenham?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

A Welshmen having a go at the Scottish team two weeks after they played you off the park, one victory over an Ireland team completely devoid of ideas doesn't change that.

There has to be serious question marks over Murray and Sexton as the half backs, they look blunt the moment they come up against a well organised defence.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:22 pm

I'm seriously considering itoje as Captain now.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

Farrell is a nailed on starter in either the 10 or 12 shirt IMHO. Has to be Captain if Hartley misses out due to non-rugby reasons and prejudice.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

That still beat Wales...

So what?  

Yes I'd imagine we will take the bonus point against Italy. But England were exceptional today. Why can't you praise their performance instead of criticising Scotland? We had a tough day today and lost 5 players to injury, 2 of them on the 1st 20 minutes including our best player and his replacement.

We were very unfortunate and Joseph was unplayable today. I seriously doubt Wales could have done any more to stem that tide compared to Scotland.

Like I said how does one bad performance condemn us and one good performance make your team amazing again? I just don't see it.
Agree.  Clearly England were very good and Scotland had a tough day at the office.  As it turns out, today was England's day and no team in the tournament was going to beat them when on fire like this.  But how can a team going to keep the scoreline respectable with all those injuries?  Scotland could very well come in second place this year.  That is not too bad, not too bad at all.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:33 pm

I'd be happy with Hartley as captain. The 2nd rows are likely to be English so they can hit the ground running in terms of working together as a functional lineout unit, rather than starting from scratch with a new partnership as you would if, for example, Best was hooker.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:35 pm

Griff wrote:I'd be happy with Hartley as captain. The 2nd rows are likely to be English so they can hit the ground running in terms of working together as a functional lineout unit, rather than starting from scratch with a new partnership as you would if, for example, Best was hooker.
Hartley might just be getting back in game shape. He had a nice game today. If he is ripping, then he needs to be the captain.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:43 pm

Hartley was great today, TOTALLY committed.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:44 pm

So have we put to bed the idea of Best being Captain and starting Hooker?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:46 pm

Think so, clearly next week will help.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:55 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:I'm seriously considering itoje as Captain now.

Doesn't surprise me in the least since you clearly know nothing about the Lions. Not even Capt of his own country, not even first choice in his own position. Good choice. Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:56 pm

Yeah, I know nothing. U absolute d1ck.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 8:57 pm

Anyone not putting itoje as first name on the teamsheet knows nothing.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:00 pm

Exactly the sort of classless performance i expect from you.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:01 pm

And u support Wales?

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:02 pm

Joke

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:02 pm

Come on guys lets all get on, we are rugby fans after all
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:04 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:Anyone not putting itoje as first name on the teamsheet knows nothing.

so Eddie Jones included then since he ISNT picking him at lock - his position - and he ISN'T picking for skipper. I like your logic.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:04 pm

Ok.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:06 pm

Itoje is class, end of. Prefer him at lock but your dismissal shows ur ignorance. Oh yeah, alun wyn, do one yer clueless numpty.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:07 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Rugbyjk wrote:Anyone not putting itoje as first name on the teamsheet knows nothing.

so Eddie Jones included then since he ISNT picking him at lock - his position - and he ISN'T picking for skipper. I like your logic.

Be reasonable now, he isn't picking Lawes ahead of him rather he's picking Itoje as the best replacement for Robshaw.

Today was Hartley's best game for a long time, imperious set piece and tackled strongly.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:10 pm

Hartley was great today.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Presuming Ed Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:16 pm

Hartley has been great for England but I wouldn't pick him as Lions capt, or Itoje for that matter. Itoje would definitely and Hartley most likely be in my starting 15 though.

Presuming Ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:17 pm

Who would be your captain presuming?

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:18 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:Itoje is class, end of. Prefer him at lock but your dismissal shows ur ignorance. Oh yeah, alun wyn, do one yer clueless numpty.

If you can't express an opinion without resorting to personal abuse then you aren't worth debating with and you clearly dont understand that a forum is where people express different opinions.

Consequently your opinion is worthless and your belief that you can enforce your rather juvenile wishes by constant abuse suggests you are very very immature.

What, after all, are you going to do if i don't 'do one'? Not a lot i expect.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next