The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nail your colours to the mast - big fights prediction thread.

+11
Dipper Brown
Derbymanc
TopHat24/7
EX7EY
melv500
hogey
Mr Bounce
Hammersmith harrier
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
15 posters

Go down

Nail your colours to the mast - big fights prediction thread. Empty Nail your colours to the mast - big fights prediction thread.

Post by Rodney Tue 28 Feb 2017, 11:46 am

Seems after a mediocre 2016 we finally as Boxing fans have a long overdue series of decent competitive matchups in the next 8-10 weeks. So what better way to talk about them than asking for your predictions. Apologies if these have been covered elsewhere but anyhow here is my twopennethsworth.

1)BELLEW V HAYE: Not one I'm particularly excited about but it has to be Haye unfortunately- he's levels above Bellew even if he has slipped. Be surprised if this makes it to round 4.

2) GARCIA V THURMAN Intriguing battle this one and a great matchup. Logic points me to Thurman better skills, variety and speed. Garcia hasn't particularly impressed me of late I thought he got a gift against Herrera & Peterson was unlucky to not get the nod, however I'd say Thurman looks the more fragile of two and Garcia strikes me as a hard man - that aside I fancy Thurman on PTS but with no degree of certainty.

3)GGG Vs JACOBS Jacobs can certainly pose GGG problems and its a decent matchup - I was at that o2 when GGG fought Brook last September and although the consensus was GGG made hard work of it , I would say he's the best fighter I've seen in up close. His footwork and balance was terrific Brook was fighting out of his skin a sheer relentless hard man. It'll take someone with great movement, gas tank and a solid dig to beat GGG at this stage I feel, Jacobs maybe has 1 of those ingredients but he seems too fragile to pull this off. GGG within 4-6 rounds.

4) CROLLA V LINARES 2 I see this pretty similar to the first one - Crolla being competitve, winning his fair share of rounds but ultimately Linares is a better fighter all round. LINARES PTS

5) BURNS V INDONGO I like Ricky Burns he's made the best out of what his got and some more. I've seen about 1 round from Indongo - so I can't really judge this one - out of fun I'll pick Burns to win (JUST) i thought he was lucky last time out.

6) PARKER V FURY Not impressed of what I've seen from Parker he seems pretty ordinary to me and highly beatable, however the action we've seen from Fury its hard to pick him to be the man to derail Parker especially in the Southern Hemisphere, not enough substance to hurt Parker. I'd have to pick PARKER by late stoppage.

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA I've only seen Sosa the once and that was against Smith, he looked an OK operator and fun to watch, but that's not going to be anywhere near enough against the number one P4P guy for me - this one I will pick with confidence. A LOMACHENKO masterclass stoppage between 7-9

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA I'm really split on this one - I'm certainly not buying that Joshua is going to let his hands go and steamroll Klitshcko. Rumours flying about that Wladimir is being bullied by Robert Helenius and Joshua has been sparked by two prospects in sparring. It's common knowledge that Wlad used to handle Joshua in sparring and that wasn't that long ago - he's levels and levels above in what Joshua has faced and I'm not convinced Joshua has the skillset to beat him. Prediction is KLITSCHKO in a late stoppage, happy to be proved wrong that Joshua is actually the real deal and wrecking machine.

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ Has to be Canelo - he does everything that bit better than Chavez who hasn't exactly covered himself in glory. Chavez doesn't have anywhere near the cuteness of Cotto,Lara and Mayweather who I thought all beat Canelo. CANELO late stoppage 8-10 rounds.

Cheers.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Nail your colours to the mast - big fights prediction thread. Empty Re: Nail your colours to the mast - big fights prediction thread.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:05 pm

Joshua ko 2...........Scared of Fury...He'll crap his pants even more.

Lomachenko ko9....Sosa hasn't got the tools.

Parker k07.................Please God Parker wins..

Burns v Indongo....Not seen the challenger...Pass.

Linares w12.........Crolla can change ?? Brave enough to last though !!

GGG ko 3........Jacobs will be there for him...

Thurman ko11......Garcia is the biggest over acheiver in Boxing and kudos to him..

Haye ko 1.......Joke.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Nail your colours to the mast - big fights prediction thread. Empty Re: Nail your colours to the mast - big fights prediction thread.

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:05 pm

Haye

Thurman

Ggg

Linares

Burns although no confidence only saw the other guy for 30 seconds

Fury

Lomachenko

Joshua only because of wlads inactivity

Canelo

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:07 pm

Joshua only because of Wlad's inactivity..

Stop being silly....Looking to trash him before he's fought.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:37 pm

BELLEW V HAYE: Haye by KO whenever he chooses.

GARCIA V THURMAN: Thurman on the face of things looks the better operator but Garcia has a habit of finding a way to win when he's not expected to so i'll go for Garcia by close decision

GGG Vs JACOBS: GGG within 4, too good and Jacobs is a bit chinny.

CROLLA V LINARES 2: Linares on points in what should be another entertaining fight, Crolla needs to go to the body straight away if he has a chance.

BURNS V INDONGO: Like you not seen much of Indongo and Burns seems to have found some form again so comfortable decision as one thing is for sure he won't be worried about the power with the chin he has.

PARKER V FURY: Neither of them have much going for them but Parker is at least a puncher, mid round stoppage.

LOMACHENKO vs SOSA: Lomachenko around the 8th following another one sided beatdown, way too good.

KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA: I actually do think AJ will let his hands go and look to end it early, if he does and against a slow ageing Wlad he'll stop him early.

CANELO V CHAVEZ: An easy win for Canelo who does everything much better.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:56 pm

Haye by stoppage with one hand tied behind his back AND a broken ickle toe.

Thurman by late stoppage. I've not been impressed with Garcia at all. Think Keith has too much skill and half decent power.

GGG to poleaxe Jacobs inside 4 rounds.

Can't look past Linares with a points win.

Genuinely have no idea in the Burns fight. Never seen his opponent.

Parker destroys Fury. Hughie doesn't have the power to hurt anyone let alone Parker. I think that he will be timed perfectly coming in and won't beat the count.

Lomachenko has too much of everything so corner retirement by end of 7.

Joshua steps up. Wlad hasn't got too much left and inactivity won't have helped him. I think that if he goes down early he will start wishing he was somewhere else. Joshua by the end of the 4th.

Canelo toys with Chavez who is there for the payday. He won't put him down. Chavez is more likely to quit.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:56 pm

1) BELLEW V HAYE: Haye by brutal KO, pretty much whenever he wants to end it total mismatch likely to be over in the 1st or 2nd unless he lets Bellew stay conscious for a few round to justify the PPV.
2) GARCIA V THURMAN: Fancy Garcia by late stoppage, could go either way though.
3) GGG Vs JACOBS: GGG KO in 3 great fight while it lasts though.
4) CROLLA V LINARES 2: Linares comfortable decision, Crlolla will give a good account of himself but Linares is a slight level above him.
5) BURNS V INDONGO: Indongo by decision dont know too much about him so just a guess, but Burns is there for the taking.
6) PARKER V FURY: Parker stoppage in 6 rounds.
7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA: Lomo KO 7 rounds.
8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA: AJ KO in 3.
9) CANELO V CHAVEZ: Alverez wide points win.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:56 pm

1)BELLEW V HAYE: Haye by KO in 3

2) GARCIA V THURMAN: Thurman UD

3)GGG Vs JACOBS: GGG KO in 6

4) CROLLA V LINARES: Linares UD and much clearer than last time. Just think he is a step up from Crolla.

5) BURNS V INDONGO: Burns SD

6) PARKER V FURY: Parker KO in 8. Fury not hard to hit and Parker can get underneath the jab.

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA: Lomachenko KO in 6

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA: Klit KO in 6

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ: Canelo SD

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 28 Feb 2017, 1:46 pm

1)BELLEW V HAYE: Bellew to get brutally KO'd in round 3 - HAYE KO R3

2) GARCIA V THURMAN - Thurman PTS

3)GGG Vs JACOBS - GGG KO R7

4) CROLLA V LINARES - Head says Linares on points but heart wants Crolla to win. We know Linares has hit the deck before so i'm going out on a limb hoping Crolla can adapt and finish the fight with a stoppage win - CROLLA TKO R9

5) BURNS V INDONGO - Burns PTS

6) PARKER V FURY - Think we will find out that Fury is currently underated. Going to go with Fury as it will make for a more interesting HW scene. FURY PTS

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA - Loma TKO R5

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA - JOSHUA KO R6

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ - Canelo TKO R9

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 1:48 pm

1)BELLEW V HAYE: Haye by KO in 4-6

2) GARCIA V THURMAN: Thurman UD

3)GGG Vs JACOBS: GGG KO in 6-8

4) CROLLA V LINARES: Linares wide UD

5) BURNS V INDONGO: Burns by come kind of decision

6) PARKER V FURY: Parker KO 6 or less. Hughie has no power to worry a decent chinned Parker who doesn't have the conditioning to take this further than 6 if not needed.

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA: Lomachenko KO in 6, could do earlier if he wanted.

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA: Klit KO, don't know when, cagey start by Joshua will empower KO.

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ: Canelo UD before further shameless ducking of GGG

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 28 Feb 2017, 2:11 pm

1)BELLEW V HAYE: Not really a big fight, Haye will finish it when he wants, predict KO 3

2) GARCIA V THURMAN Garcia's gone downhill in a lot of peoples eyes lately, due to his power he still has a chance but I think thurman takes a tough UD

3)GGG Vs JACOBS GGG too powerful as per, takes a mid round KO i'll go for 5

4) CROLLA V LINARES 2 I know i'm in the minority but think Crolla will get a very close UD or SD here, will be a bit more wary this time around methinks.

5) BURNS V INDONGO Burns by an SD, don't know anything about his opponent but think this is a half decent scrap to try and get Burns a big payday to retire on

6) PARKER V FURY Fury by UD

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA Lomo by rnd 5, too good and too strong for Sosa

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA Joshua has to take this early but i think a WK UD in an entertaining bout.

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ Canelo by UD

Last edited by Derbymanc on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my heads up me arriss)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 28 Feb 2017, 2:45 pm

Haye Bellew: after all the fuss, I see a very cagey first round with barely a fuss thrown. As soon as it heats up, Haye KO. Round 2-4.

Garcia Thurman: Garcia a man for the big occasion.
I see him finding a way to make it his fight and taking a points decision.

Ggg Jacobs: GGG in the middle rounds.

Crolla Linares: Linares on points. Wider than the first.

Sosa's corner to pull him out against Loma before the 8th.

Joshua to KO Wlad in 4th. Hope the undercard is decent.

Canelo shutout against JCC Jr.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 28 Feb 2017, 6:35 pm

1)BELLEW V HAYE: Haye TKO 5 (Haye digs himself out of a poor performance)

2) GARCIA V THURMAN: GARCIA PTS 12 (Garcia better under pressure).

3)GGG Vs JACOBS: GGG PTS 12 (Jacobs will surprise everyone by lasting the course).

4) CROLLA V LINARES 2: CROLLA PTS 12 (Crolla only needs to win four rounds and they'll give him it).

5) BURNS V INDONGO: BURNS PTS 12 (Burns is also good at getting favourable cards, but won't need them here).

6) PARKER V FURY: PARKER PTS 12 (Plodder vs plodder. I'll go with Parker- just).

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA: LOMA KO 5 (masterclass).

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA: KLITSCHKO PTS 12 (AJ has no plan B and Klitschko too cautious to finish when he gets AJ going).

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ: CANELO PTS 12 (tempted to side with Chavez but if Canelo makes it through 12, he'll get the decision).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 28 Feb 2017, 8:19 pm

1)BELLEW V HAYE: Haye TKO I remain a bit cynical over this one despite all the tough talking. Bellew has no chance for me but think it could be a damp squib with a possible dodgy / soft stoppage once Haye starts landing.

2) GARCIA V THURMAN: Thurman on points. Garcia has rose to the occasion as underdog before and spluttered when favourite. I think his luck runs out in this one. Wouldnt back Thurman at 2/5 though.

3)GGG Vs JACOBS: GGG KO. I think Jacobs will will wilt under the suffocating pressure Golovkin exerts.

4) CROLLA V LINARES 2: Crolla pts. A bit of value here on Crolla at 6/4 I think. Hes likely to be given any close rounds and I have a hunch that a combination of that and being hungrier than Linares might get him over the line. Linares is a pretty old 31 year old who isnt the most durable and has been campaigning at world title level a long time. I think it might start to show against a supercharged Crolla with the home advantages.

5) BURNS V INDONGO: Never seen Indongo fight so no ideas.

6) PARKER V FURY: Parker pts. Will be a huge ask for Fury to pick up a decision against the poster boy of NZ boxing in Auckland. Unless Parker punches himself out (which has looked possible in the past) I would take Parker to outwork Fury.

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA: Lomachenko KO. I think he will bust Sosa up

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA: Anything could happen in this one. I have no idea. I do think the Joshua and the unders are being overvalued though. Klitschko and the overs offer a more attractive prospect in a fight that I think will open up pretty cagey.

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ: Canelo points. I think Canelo might get through this one way or another but it could be a hard slog for him. Chavez avalable between 8-1 and 10-1 I think is good value. If he can recapture his form from middleweight days I think he could give Canelo all he could handle. It will be a big size up for Canelo against a guy that was pretty rock solid at middleweight. But Chavez could also just be sticking around the sport for the money now. Still I think hes worth a flutter at the kind of prices being offered.

None of the favourites above appeal to me at the prices they are offered. Crolla, Klitschko and Chavez I think offer a bit of value as underdogs I think.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 28 Feb 2017, 10:15 pm

1)BELLEW V HAYE: Haye whenever he lands... inside 5 possibly much earlier

2) GARCIA V THURMAN: Thurman pts. Sooner or later garcia's luck with the judges has to run out, think this might be the one.

3)GGG Vs JACOBS: GGG inside 7.  Think he'll do a lemieux job and respect jacobs power, slowly bust him up then take him out.

4) CROLLA V LINARES 2: Linares pts. Linares is one of my favourite boxers to watch but I don't rule crolla out... he walked on to one last time that derailed him, if he doesn't this could get interesting.

5) BURNS V INDONGO: BURNS PTS. Like everyone else I've seen the troyanovsky ko and that's it for indongo. It looked like troyanovsky had never fought a southpaw before... he was shocking. Not sure what ricky's record against lefties is like.. struggled with zlaticanin obviously, but think he'll have enough to grind this lad down.  

6) PARKER V FURY: PARKER PTS. Forgot about this, probably because i don't care.

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA: LOMA KO 7. Sosa got a draw with walters, but most had walters wide. now styles make fights and all that but really this is a how long it lasts question, not who wins

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA: Joshua KO 5. I have no idea who wins this, can see a variety of scenarios playing out and genuinely no result would surprise me... i've gone with youth.

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ: CANELO PTS. He might stop him. Chavez is cack, canelo isn't. Canelo likes guys who come to him. For once he won't have size on his side, but he's a picked a fight where it won't matter.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 10:26 pm

40 year old ex champions that are one dimensional and haven't got iron fists and chins don't win titles.

130 years worth of history tells us that.

Time to stop kidding yourselves about Wlad.

Watch...

Bruno v Coetzee

Lewis v Golota.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 28 Feb 2017, 10:46 pm

considering coetzee and golota were both about 30, imagine how badly they'd have been laid out at 40.Very Happy

But I take your point and it's why i'm cagily plumping for youth. Fighters rarely get the privilege of growing old gracefully in the ring. I think for many there's that that nagging feeling that joshua hasn't fought anyone that knows what they're doing yet, and he's ready to get found out... that's what makes it interesting. Whether wlad as he is today is the one to test that? Who knows... but I'll be parting with my cash to find out.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue 28 Feb 2017, 11:14 pm

1.) BELLEW V HAYE: Haye whenever he wants, just levels above Bellew and the bigger stronger man with the greater speed and power

2) GARCIA V THURMAN: Thurman points. Think it'll be close Garcia picks up his performance when the opposition increases but his punches don't seem to carry the same juice at 147. Despite Thurman being suspect to the body think Thurman will out work Danny who's been overworked in the past

3)GGG Vs JACOBS: GGG mid KO. Think Jacobs will give a good account of himself and may even trouble GGG but the bombs will catch up with him and think Jacobs will be grinded down much like brook

4) CROLLA V LINARES 2: Similar fight to first but actually think Linares could stop Crolla, he got close in the first and Crolla will make a mistake at some point. TKO round 9 Linares

5) BURNS V INDONGO No idea never seen Indongo fight so gonna back Ricky by points although if this guy is anything like world level he should win, Ricky is passed his best. Ricky UD

6) PARKER V FURY Really don't rate Parker, so gonna side with Hughie with a UD but hard to call

7) LOMACHENKO vs SOSA TKO round 7 Lomachenko, best fighter in the world today he'll pick Sosa apart and bust him up

8) KLITSCHKO vs JOSHUA Joshua KO any round, think if he lands he wins, but genuinely think it could go either way both are big punchers with good pedigree and dodgy chin

9) CANELO V CHAVEZ Think it's a close fight, saw how Smith pressured Canelo (and angulo and Kirkland) but was just too small to make it count. Chavez packs a wallop and if Canelo can't get Cotto out he won't hurt chavez. That said the weight hurts chavez so he'll likely gas and canelo will probs pick him apart. Canelo UD in a good fight for 6 rounds
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Mar 2017, 9:19 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:40 year old ex champions that are one dimensional and haven't got iron fists and chins don't win titles.

130 years worth of history tells us that.

Time to stop kidding yourselves about Wlad.

Watch...

Bruno v Coetzee

Lewis v Golota.

Golota and Coetzee, of course, weren't 40 year old ex champions. And Klitschko hasn't got iron fists? He nearly knocked Pulev into next week not long ago.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Mar 2017, 11:01 am

Never said they were...

Just want people to watch those fights to see what they are getting..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Mar 2017, 11:49 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never said they were...

Just want people to watch those fights to see what they are getting..

It would be amazing if that happened but can't see a super tentative Klitschko going out like that.

He's sparred Joshua, he knows what he's getting (and I saw another vid the other day of Joshua in the amateurs doing the Judah stanky leg dance).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 9:16 pm

2/3 so far.....

Meatloaf 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 30 Mar 2017, 6:06 am

Think everyone got haye bellew wrong

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 30 Mar 2017, 10:19 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:2/3 so far.....

Meatloaf 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

you took the words right out of my mouth

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 07 May 2017, 10:10 am

Bump. Some good fights and some landslides.

I got kippered by haye and burns, but otherwise my strategy of picking the favourites generally paid off!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down