6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by George Carlin on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:27 am

First topic message reminder :


WALES v IRELAND
10 March 2017
KO: 20:05 GMT
Principality Stadium, Cardiff

Live on [ITV, RTE, SC4, FR2, DMAX / BBC (H)]

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

124 Played 124
50 Won 67
7 Drawn 7
67 Lost 50
1,477 Points 1,381

B. Recent Form

7 February 2016
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
16 – 16 draw

29 August 2015
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
10 – 16 to Wales

8 August 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
21 – 35 to Ireland

14 March 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
23 – 16 to Wales

8 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
26 – 3 to Ireland

2 February 2013
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
22 – 30 to Ireland

5 February 2012
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
21 – 23 to Wales

8 October 2011
Regional Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
22 – 10 to Wales

C. Teams

WALES 


Halfpenny; North, J Davies, S Williams, L Williams, Biggar, Webb, Evans, Owens, Francis, Ball, A Jones, Warburton, Tipuric, Moriarty.

Replacements: Roberts for S Williams (67), S Davies for Biggar (80), G Davies for Webb (67), Smith for Evans (67), Baldwin for Owens (72), Lee for Francis (70), Charteris for Ball (63), Faletau for Moriarty (67).

IRELAND


Kearney; Earls, Ringrose, Henshaw, Zebo; Sexton, Murray; McGrath, Best, Furlong, D Ryan, Toner, Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip.

Replacements: Bowe for Kearney (70), Jackson for Sexton (19), Marmion for Murray (46), C Healy for McGrath (59), Scannell for Best (80), J Ryan for Furlong (80), Henderson for Toner (63), O'Mahony for Stander (63).


Last edited by George Carlin on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13905
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down


Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Sin é on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
the-goon wrote:Our back 3 is truly the weakest part of our team. The sooner we start blooding Byrne, Sweetnam, TOH and Stockdale the better. Hopefully once the WR ranking points for the RWC seeding is sorted, we will see this happen.

It just doesn't give me the feeling of pace.  I like the heart of Earls, the fight in that guy is great and Zebo while infuriating at times has the natural talent to make something happen.  Kearney also has improved immeasurably in the past 6 months.  But in Stockdale, Byrne, Sweetnam, TOH, O'Loughlin there are youngsters of formidable size and great pace that are coming through.  In a years time they'll be scary, would love to see Ireland with real pace.  Not the pace that makes a break and goes for 10 yards down the field before cover catches, but pace that makes a break and takes it to the house.

That comment really amuses me. Zebo and Earls have bags of pace. I think Zebo maybe the fastest in the squad. They play the game that Schmidt wants them to play (safety first, never risk getting turned over by getting away from your support).

Keith Earls wrote:Earls’s speed has remained unaffected: “I’m still clocking good times. We have a ‘max velocity’.” Last week he clocked 9.5m per second, which is over 34kmh or 21mph. “I wouldn’t be as fast as Zeebs. He clocked a 10.2.”

He reckons that maybe over the first 10 metres he would be faster than Zebo, “but he’d have me on the longer distances. He has phenomenal speed, and some of the ways he gets the ball down is incredible. He’s unbelievably naturally talented. In fairness, he has set me up for a lot too.”


Last edited by Sin é on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13145
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by exile jack on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:09 pm

The Welsh team seems to have been selected on one or more several bases:
1)Howley and his team is unwilling or unable to distinguish between form and reputation;
2)Gatland is still picking the team;
3)The WRU have told him his position is secure irrespective of results and performance;
4)The well-known tension in the Welsh camp is preventing 1) above;and
5)Howley and his team have no understanding of how to select,coach and motivate an international rugby team.

On the team itself,the principle of 'putting things right' is valid except in Wales' case it has infinity applied to it.Could see why Charteris and Faletau aren't starting given their Bath performances last weekend but not swapping Liam and 1/2p suggests stubborn blind faith as does retaining North.Starting Biggar wouldn't be my choice but I don't have a lifetime contract from the WRU.I'm a bit worried about Friday because that Irish team looks highly mobile to me with the best 3/4s in the NH.

exile jack

Posts : 324
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by TightHEAD on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:09 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Stander vs Warburton will be interesting. Both have played well so far.

Mouth watering, can't wait.
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2850
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : USK, 'Fully paid up Honorary Welshman'

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 pm

exile jack wrote:On the team itself,the principle of 'putting things right' is valid except in Wales' case it has infinity applied to it.

That made me laugh - although it's not funny Sad

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22242
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by SecretFly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Sin é wrote:

That comment really amuses me. Zebo and Earls have bags of pace. I think Zebo maybe the fastest in the squad. They play the game that Schmidt wants them to play (safety first, never risk getting turned over by getting away from your support).

Keith Earls wrote:Earls’s speed has remained unaffected: “I’m still clocking good times. We have a ‘max velocity’.” Last week he clocked 9.5m per second, which is over 34kmh or 21mph. “I wouldn’t be as fast as Zeebs. He clocked a 10.2.”

He reckons that maybe over the first 10 metres he would be faster than Zebo, “but he’d have me on the longer distances. He has phenomenal speed, and some of the ways he gets the ball down is incredible. He’s unbelievably naturally talented. In fairness, he has set me up for a lot too.”

Why do you keep talking about running track measurements when replying to rugby comments, Sin?

SecretFly

Posts : 26162
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by the-goon on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Sin é wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:
the-goon wrote:Our back 3 is truly the weakest part of our team. The sooner we start blooding Byrne, Sweetnam, TOH and Stockdale the better. Hopefully once the WR ranking points for the RWC seeding is sorted, we will see this happen.

It just doesn't give me the feeling of pace.  I like the heart of Earls, the fight in that guy is great and Zebo while infuriating at times has the natural talent to make something happen.  Kearney also has improved immeasurably in the past 6 months.  But in Stockdale, Byrne, Sweetnam, TOH, O'Loughlin there are youngsters of formidable size and great pace that are coming through.  In a years time they'll be scary, would love to see Ireland with real pace.  Not the pace that makes a break and goes for 10 yards down the field before cover catches, but pace that makes a break and takes it to the house.

That comment really amuses me. Zebo and Earls have bags of pace. I think Zebo maybe the fastest in the squad. They play the game that Schmidt wants them to play (safety first, never risk getting turned over by getting away from your support).

Keith Earls wrote:Earls’s speed has remained unaffected: “I’m still clocking good times. We have a ‘max velocity’.” Last week he clocked 9.5m per second, which is over 34kmh or 21mph. “I wouldn’t be as fast as Zeebs. He clocked a 10.2.”

He reckons that maybe over the first 10 metres he would be faster than Zebo, “but he’d have me on the longer distances. He has phenomenal speed, and some of the ways he gets the ball down is incredible. He’s unbelievably naturally talented. In fairness, he has set me up for a lot too.”

They are quick for Irish players, but not in the same league as Hogg, Watson, Daly, North etc.

And to be honest, you haven't really provided any proof, just an interview where a player praises his teammate. hardly surprising. What numbers does Hogg clock? How is this translated onto the pitch? when it matters.

the-goon

Posts : 647
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by munkian on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:31 pm

I had blocked out that Earles was a Lion
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7462
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by marty2086 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Earls is faster than Hogg, just look at his try in week 1, Earls can go backwards faster than Hogg can forwards Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Gwlad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Wales are not clever in attack

Now there's an understatement.

Wales are not in.

Gwlad

Posts : 4043
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by TightHEAD on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:39 pm

I'd take Earls to NZ, quality player.
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2850
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : USK, 'Fully paid up Honorary Welshman'

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by marty2086 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Rah rah....everyone sucks but us.

I think we'll turn Scotland over, at least 10pts. Wales v Ireland is a very tough one to call though.

Thank you. World order is restored.

I think Ireland will win quite comfortably against Wales. It might be close for 20-30 minutes, but if you look at what Scotland did to Wales in the second half, and then look at what Ireland did to Scotland in the second half (70% possession of something like that), I think Wales will struggle with the intensity in the last quarter. Ireland are clever in defence and at the breakdown, whereas Wales are not clever in attack (Rhys Webb and Liam Williams being notable exceptions).

Wales aren't too clever in defence either, who doesn't kick the ball to touch in the dying minutes when stuck in your own 22?

All Wales need to d is shift the ball to their left wing fast and run at Earls, its easy to gain ground that way and quite often tries

marty2086

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:46 pm

munkian wrote:I had blocked out that Earles was a Lion

Ireland won a grand slam that year so it wasnt that much of a surprise that players like Earls were selected. He is also a fairly good player. He has a decent international try scoring record.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by BamBam on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 pm

I wouldn't say its just about pace, look at someone like Ben Smith, he isn't an out and out burner but he'd worry me a lot more with ball in hand than Earls would, even if EARLS is a faster runner

BamBam

Posts : 11708
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by SecretFly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:58 pm

The Bolt.... he'd burn all of them (allegedly)  But how long would he last through 80 minutes doing those sprints?  Not bloody long at all.  

Straight line track speed on a single timed occasion has no meaning to a field game where pace has to be turn onable throughout an intensely physical game.  Like Bam said, it really doesn't matter what you can clock in a timed run, it matters how fast you can get things done in a game, over and over and over again.

SecretFly

Posts : 26162
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Gwlad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Cannot believe we are putting out the same side because its important to let the players put things right, wtf. Its important to let the players know that they failed to perform and if the limits of our imagination are this selection then we are royally fecked. Some needed dropping not least North. But it just goes to show what a master manipulator Howley is; at the start of the tournament there was all this excitement about the new additions to the squad and yet even with North's injury we still didn't use any of them and they can't even get on the bench. Steff Evans ffs, yet when i hear Edwards describe him as not the biggest winger you know exactly what their thinking is. Size first, talent second. That and this latest selection shows just how popularity is driving Howley, he isn't bothered about development, rather just the next game and hanging in there. I maintain my wish for us to lose so that big changes have to happen. But they won't.

Gwlad

Posts : 4043
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:13 pm

I hope you lose too.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by SecretFly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:22 pm

I second Gun's motion.

PS Or maybe I'm technically wrong there. I third it.

SecretFly

Posts : 26162
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Winzer on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:26 pm

"This is a question for non-Irish fans, when you see Zebo, Earls and Kearney do you think, oh sugar, don't give them space, or are you thinking the threat comes from other parts of the team."

I think they've got the gas and the nous to finish chances created by those inside them most of the time and maybe to create their own sometimes. They're all good players.

I'm interested to see a lot of people apparently rate the Irish back row well above the Welsh. We'll see on Friday, but I wouldn't assume Wales will lose out in that area overall. Whereas the Irish front row and half backs have a clear advantage.

Winzer

Posts : 64
Join date : 2017-01-31

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by overlordofthewest on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Looks like I'm having to stay in Dublin til Monday.....anyone recommend a good pub with good atmosphere for the game Friday?

overlordofthewest

Posts : 315
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 44
Location : Beaufort

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by munkian on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:28 pm

If us losing our next two games guaranteed a shake up in our coaching setup I'd be OK with it, especially as it would make Super Saturday more interesting.

But it won't, so I'll cheer the team on and hope we beat Ireland. Can take losing to England, even Scotland but Ireland ? Oh hells no.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7462
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Winzer wrote:I'm interested to see a lot of people apparently rate the Irish back row well above the Welsh.  We'll see on Friday, but I wouldn't assume Wales will lose out in that area overall.

I don't think we'll struggle for ball. The problem will be, as it has been for season upon season, how inefficient we are. We make poor use of the ball. Points win prizes, and we don't score enough of them.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22242
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Sin é on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:43 pm

the-goon wrote:
Sin é wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:
the-goon wrote:Our back 3 is truly the weakest part of our team. The sooner we start blooding Byrne, Sweetnam, TOH and Stockdale the better. Hopefully once the WR ranking points for the RWC seeding is sorted, we will see this happen.

It just doesn't give me the feeling of pace.  I like the heart of Earls, the fight in that guy is great and Zebo while infuriating at times has the natural talent to make something happen.  Kearney also has improved immeasurably in the past 6 months.  But in Stockdale, Byrne, Sweetnam, TOH, O'Loughlin there are youngsters of formidable size and great pace that are coming through.  In a years time they'll be scary, would love to see Ireland with real pace.  Not the pace that makes a break and goes for 10 yards down the field before cover catches, but pace that makes a break and takes it to the house.

That comment really amuses me. Zebo and Earls have bags of pace. I think Zebo maybe the fastest in the squad. They play the game that Schmidt wants them to play (safety first, never risk getting turned over by getting away from your support).

Keith Earls wrote:Earls’s speed has remained unaffected: “I’m still clocking good times. We have a ‘max velocity’.” Last week he clocked 9.5m per second, which is over 34kmh or 21mph. “I wouldn’t be as fast as Zeebs. He clocked a 10.2.”

He reckons that maybe over the first 10 metres he would be faster than Zebo, “but he’d have me on the longer distances. He has phenomenal speed, and some of the ways he gets the ball down is incredible. He’s unbelievably naturally talented. In fairness, he has set me up for a lot too.”

They are quick for Irish players, but not in the same league as Hogg, Watson, Daly, North etc.

And to be honest, you haven't really provided any proof, just an interview where a player praises his teammate. hardly surprising. What numbers does Hogg clock? How is this translated onto the pitch? when it matters.

He provides timings. Have you any for those listed?

avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13145
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Sin é on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:45 pm

marty2086 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Rah rah....everyone sucks but us.

I think we'll turn Scotland over, at least 10pts. Wales v Ireland is a very tough one to call though.

Thank you. World order is restored.

I think Ireland will win quite comfortably against Wales. It might be close for 20-30 minutes, but if you look at what Scotland did to Wales in the second half, and then look at what Ireland did to Scotland in the second half (70% possession of something like that), I think Wales will struggle with the intensity in the last quarter. Ireland are clever in defence and at the breakdown, whereas Wales are not clever in attack (Rhys Webb and Liam Williams being notable exceptions).

Wales aren't too clever in defence either, who doesn't kick the ball to touch in the dying minutes when stuck in your own 22?

All Wales need to d is shift the ball to their left wing fast and run at Earls, its easy to gain ground that way and quite often tries

Maybe its not so easy. George North has 1 try in 6 games v. Ireland. Earls has 4 tries in 7 v. Wales!

edit: and Earls didn't play in the game that North scored v. Ireland. Bowe & Trimble were the wings that day!


Last edited by Sin é on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13145
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Griff on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Winzer wrote:I'm interested to see a lot of people apparently rate the Irish back row well above the Welsh.  We'll see on Friday, but I wouldn't assume Wales will lose out in that area overall.

I don't think we'll struggle for ball. The problem will be, as it has been for season upon season, how inefficient we are. We make poor use of the ball. Points win prizes, and we don't score enough of them.

Yeah, I agree we won't struggle too much to get ball. It's just that we'll give it straight back to Ireland when we do get it! THAT is the game plan Sad

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Winzer on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:04 pm

"The problem will be, as it has been for season upon season, how inefficient we are. We make poor use of the ball."
Agreed. Usually turgid, frustrating stuff to watch.

Winzer

Posts : 64
Join date : 2017-01-31

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by munkian on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Winzer wrote:"The problem will be, as it has been for season upon season, how inefficient we are. We make poor use of the ball."  
Agreed.  Usually turgid, frustrating stuff to watch.

Or Webb going for another dart that rarely gets over the line.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7462
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:37 pm

overlordofthewest wrote:Looks like I'm having to stay in Dublin til Monday.....anyone recommend a good pub with good atmosphere for the game Friday?

www.fxbuckley.ie/the-bull-and-castle/ -  Big screens, good food and craft beers. They show all the games upstairs. Restaurant downstairs. Probably my favourite.
https://www.samsbar.ie/ -  Nice bar but probably a little more expensive. Managed by former Leinster centre Eoin O'Malley so tends to show rugby and host teams.

What part of Dublin will you be in?

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Obviously a bit more central but I always like Porterhouse on Temple Bar, not that expensive for the area and a good atmosphere.

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32875
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by eirebilly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:52 pm

I am not sure how Bowe gets selected over Gilroy. Think Gilroy is a far more explosive impact player than Bowe is (well these days anyways as Bowe has lost a bit of pace).
avatar
eirebilly

Posts : 22251
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 46
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by the-goon on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Sin é wrote:
the-goon wrote:
Sin é wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:
the-goon wrote:Our back 3 is truly the weakest part of our team. The sooner we start blooding Byrne, Sweetnam, TOH and Stockdale the better. Hopefully once the WR ranking points for the RWC seeding is sorted, we will see this happen.

It just doesn't give me the feeling of pace.  I like the heart of Earls, the fight in that guy is great and Zebo while infuriating at times has the natural talent to make something happen.  Kearney also has improved immeasurably in the past 6 months.  But in Stockdale, Byrne, Sweetnam, TOH, O'Loughlin there are youngsters of formidable size and great pace that are coming through.  In a years time they'll be scary, would love to see Ireland with real pace.  Not the pace that makes a break and goes for 10 yards down the field before cover catches, but pace that makes a break and takes it to the house.

That comment really amuses me. Zebo and Earls have bags of pace. I think Zebo maybe the fastest in the squad. They play the game that Schmidt wants them to play (safety first, never risk getting turned over by getting away from your support).

Keith Earls wrote:Earls’s speed has remained unaffected: “I’m still clocking good times. We have a ‘max velocity’.” Last week he clocked 9.5m per second, which is over 34kmh or 21mph. “I wouldn’t be as fast as Zeebs. He clocked a 10.2.”

He reckons that maybe over the first 10 metres he would be faster than Zebo, “but he’d have me on the longer distances. He has phenomenal speed, and some of the ways he gets the ball down is incredible. He’s unbelievably naturally talented. In fairness, he has set me up for a lot too.”

They are quick for Irish players, but not in the same league as Hogg, Watson, Daly, North etc.

And to be honest, you haven't really provided any proof, just an interview where a player praises his teammate. hardly surprising. What numbers does Hogg clock? How is this translated onto the pitch? when it matters.

He provides timings. Have you any for those listed?


I'm judging from what I see on the pitch. Zeebs and Earls are good internationals, but when it comes to electric pace and trickery they aren't in the same league as the Hoggs, Watsons, Dalys and Norths. They do have sthrenghs in other areas over these players, but not when it comes to beating players one on one (again, they aren't bad, just not as good).


the-goon

Posts : 647
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Golden wrote:How has Bowe moved above Gilroy again? Did he have a great game for Ulster or something?

Nope. Just another typical Joe selection.

You must tick at least one of these boxes to be a Schidt player:

1) Join Leinster
2) Be friends with Joe
3) DO NOT SHOW FLAIR - stick to the game plan and give a solid performance

If you meet any of the above criteria, whether you become 10th choice at your province or reach the age of 40 you will not be dropped. Pace isn't necessary.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11292
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

In reality, I don't think it matters who we have on the wings. Unless we play 2 Jonah Lomu style players, they don't get the time or space that is needed to do an awful lot. The attack is still centred around a couple of battering rams in the middle of the field. Maybe the Sexton loop from time to time.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11292
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by RiscaGame on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:12 pm

overlordofthewest wrote:Looks like I'm having to stay in Dublin til Monday.....anyone recommend a good pub with good atmosphere for the game Friday?

Seconded. About 16 Welsh lads on a stag there this weekend. I can't wait to go.


Last edited by RiscaGame on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

RiscaGame

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Griff on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:In reality, I don't think it matters who we have on the wings. Unless we play 2 Jonah Lomu style players, they don't get the time or space that is needed to do an awful lot. The attack is still centred around a couple of battering rams in the middle of the field. Maybe the Sexton loop from time to time.

Gatlandball Lite!

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Pretty much. The thing is, Wales are pretty good at shutting down big ball carriers and have done so against us on numerous occasions. Which is why I believe Wales will win. We also defend too deep and too narrow, so you will make a lot of ground with your ball carriers.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11292
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Golden wrote:How has Bowe moved above Gilroy again? Did he have a great game for Ulster or something?

Nope. Just another typical Joe selection.

You must tick at least one of these boxes to be a Schidt player:

1) Join Leinster
2) Be friends with Joe
3) DO NOT SHOW FLAIR - stick to the game plan and give a solid performance

If you meet any of the above criteria, whether you become 10th choice at your province or reach the age of 40 you will not be dropped. Pace isn't necessary.

The oldest players in the squad are all from Ulster. Are you suggesting they should be dropped?

Rory Best (c) Hooker 15 August 1982 (age 34)
Donnacha Ryan Lock 11 December 1983 (age 33)
Jamie Heaslip Number 8 15 December 1983 (age 33)
Jonathan Sexton Fly-half 11 July 1985 (age 31)
Jared Payne Centre 13 October 1985 (age 31)
Tommy Bowe Wing 22 February 1984 (age 33)
Andrew Trimble Wing 20 October 1984 (age 32)

4 over 31 from Ulster, 2 from Leinster and 1 from Munster.


Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by George Carlin on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:That's my lions pack, but with itoje, kruis/ launchbury, and billy v at 4,5 & 8 respectively.
Laugh


Last edited by George Carlin on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13905
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:18 pm

I think you're spectacularly missing the point.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11292
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 pm

eirebilly wrote:I am not sure how Bowe gets selected over Gilroy. Think Gilroy is a far more explosive impact player than Bowe is (well these days anyways as Bowe has lost a bit of pace).

Nor do I - 5th best winger at Ulster this year

Piatau is NIQ
Trimble is injured
Stockdale is inexperienced

but Gilroy is none of those.

Infact the truth is Lyttle has put in a quality of performance on the wing that Bowe hasn't matched, come to think of it so has Ludik

So why are Ireland selecting Ulster's 7th best winger this year Headscratch

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Griff on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Pretty much. The thing is, Wales are pretty good at shutting down big ball carriers and have done so against us on numerous occasions. Which is why I believe Wales will win. We also defend too deep and too narrow, so you will make a lot of ground with your ball carriers.

We used to be. But as observed by someone recently we don't seem to be as fit and machine like as in previous years. All talk of cryo chambers and the like have gone a bit quiet!

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:30 pm

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-team-talking-points-wales-3276450-Mar2017/


Quote from Joe:

"That’s part of what you base your decision-making on: what have people done in the past? Can they replicate that in the future? If they’ve done it in the past, they’re more likely to replicate it.”

picard 

Might as well bring back ROG, BOD and POC then.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11292
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by SecretFly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Griff wrote: All talk of cryo chambers and the like have gone a bit quiet!


Shocked Shocked

You mean................................. we have a chance?

Yahoo Death to the cryo chambers!!! We're back on level terms.

SecretFly

Posts : 26162
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Rugbyjk on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:37 pm

What's so funny G. Carlin?

Please allow us the benefit of your wisdom??

Christ, YOU're a moderator?


Last edited by Rugbyjk on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rugbyjk

Posts : 232
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by SecretFly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:http://www.the42.ie/ireland-team-talking-points-wales-3276450-Mar2017/


Quote from Joe:

"That’s part of what you base your decision-making on: what have people done in the past? Can they replicate that in the future? If they’ve done it in the past, they’re more likely to replicate it.”

picard 

Might as well bring back ROG, BOD and POC then.

laughing

Joe is coming down with Trumpitis. Make BOD great again.

Having said that........................................... hmmm, I wonder could he actually put on that 13 shirt again and help us out of a fix? Then again, that lad has his own bout of Trumpitis over on the English channels. He's unfit to play with the wummery garbage he spouts.

SecretFly

Posts : 26162
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:46 pm

Sounds more like Bush with such a ridiculous banal statement.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11292
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by SecretFly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:What's so funny G. Carlin?

Please allow us the benefit of your wisdom??

Christ, YOU're a moderator?

He's an equal opportunities mod, and one of the good ones.

SecretFly

Posts : 26162
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Rugbyjk on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Then what's so funny about

McGrath
Best
Furlong
Itoje
Kruis
Stander
O'Brien
Vunipola

As a lion pack with mako, George and Cole / sinckler to come on as front row second half??

Rugbyjk

Posts : 232
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by SecretFly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Don't know. But I'm sure but I'm sure that when George finds a moment he'll explain himself.

SecretFly

Posts : 26162
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by exile jack on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Having discovered and drank the elixir of youth Gareth Edwards,Barry John,JPR,Gerald,JJ and the Pontypool front row turn up at the Vale offering to play on Friday but Howley turns them down.He tells them his coaching is too complex for them;they aren't gym monkeys;they haven't gone well in training;and international standard passing,kicking,forward play and heads up rugby have no place in his unique brand of coaching developed over 9 long,long years alongside Gatta the Nut.

exile jack

Posts : 324
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Gwlad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:07 pm

SecretFly wrote:I second Gun's motion.

PS Or maybe I'm technically wrong there.  I third it.

It's not a motion, or at least not in the sense you suggest.

Gwlad

Posts : 4043
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum