The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray vs Sharapova

3 posters

Go down

Murray vs Sharapova Empty Murray vs Sharapova

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello

Very Happy

Andy Murray has spoken about Sharapova's imminent return to the WTA and specifically on the issue of Wild Cards. WCs are places reserved in the main draw for players chosen at the discretion of the tournament director. Quite often they're given to star players returning from injury who've suffered a rankings drop preventing them from direct entry into the draw or they may be given to local players (e.g. Bogdanovich at Wimbledon Very Happy ) or... basically anyone. But the determining factor seems to be commercial interest; TDs will do what they believe is best for the tournament and income generation.

AM has states that he thinks she should work her way back and not rely on WCs, but acknowledges that it is a decision for the tournaments to make. So what do you think? Do you agree with AM? Sharapova shouldn't receive WCs but should rather work her way back into main draws by playing qualifiers until her ranking permits direct entry. Or are you of the view that she has served her time and thus should not be further punished by being denied WCs on principle?

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Murray vs Sharapova Empty Re: Murray vs Sharapova

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:23 pm

I assume she won't have any protected ranking nonsense.  In a moral universe then Sharapova should not be granted a WC, but in a money universe the tournament directors and tournament sponsors will do what they have to do. If anything it will mean more publicity for the tournament sponsors.  It will be a question of the morality of the tennis going public whether to pay to see Sharapova if given a WC, but there will also be income from any tv rights deal the tournament has / can muster.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:02 am

Certainly been quieter since Sharapova has been away. Also another noisy player, Azhashrieker, has been off becoming a mother.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:09 am

sirfredperry wrote:Azhashrieker, has been off becoming a mother.
Imagine what she sounded like during child labour.  Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by timex please Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:30 pm

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere this week that Roland Garros will not be issuing a WC to Sharapova, and that she will only be able to compete if her ranking justifies inclusion in the draw.  I don't think Wimbledon have said one way or the other yet.  Can't remember where I read this.

I think Roland Garros's stance is absolutely correct - I think to do otherwise and treat her like a player who had had an enforced absence through injury and subsequent rankings plummet would make a mockery of her ban, and would just send out a really dreadful, and conflicted, message.

I wonder what kind of reception she will get at RG from the French if she does make the draw?

timex please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:59 pm

There is another factor to consider. Sharapova is a Russian, yet I think many people don't see her as Russian as she spends all her time in the US nowadays. Obviously Russia has a bad name both in terms of the drug scandal as well as being "Russia" the "enemy of the West". But Sharapova has never been tarred with the "enemy of the West" Russia epithet, but maybe she will be tarred with the "drug scandal" Russia. My own thoughts are that she is simply not viewed as being Russian. So it is just a question of "pretty girl" versus "drug taker" versus "glamour" versus "grand slam winner quality tennis player"

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 am

Latest player - and there have been a few of them - to speak out about Sharapova is Wozniacki. What she's particularly upset about is the fact the Stuttgart tournament that MS has been given a WC to play in starts on a Monday but that MS, due to her ban, is not available to play until the Wednesday, when presumably her first match will be scheduled.
  One of MS's sponsors is Porsche who just happen to be....the sponsors of the Stuttgart tournament.
  This is what Cibulkova said about MS: "I will only say that I don't feel sorry at all for Sharapova and I don't miss her on the tour.
 "She's a totally unlikeable person. Arrogant, conceited and cold. When I sit beside her in the locker room, she won't even say hello."

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:41 am

What has happened to the squiggly ghost emancipator?

If I had the + / - facility I would positively rank the post above me from sirfredperry.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57 am

No name Bertie wrote:What has happened to the squiggly ghost emancipator?

If I had the + / - facility I would positively rank the post above me from sirfredperry.

So that's what those + and minus signs are at the side of each posting. Never realised before.

Whatever everyone thinks about the Sharapova situation, I think most would agree that AT THE VERY LEAST she should be banned from playing in a tournament that actually starts BEFORE her suspension is completed.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down