World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

View previous topic View next topic Go down

World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 3:09 pm

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/232038

I'm yet to read all the details but apparently June tests have been replaced by July tests so SR can finish first - can't see the clubs being overly happy that they'll get players back even later for the start of the season!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22109
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Rugby Fan on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 3:34 pm

Not really sure what the Six Nations clubs and teams get out of that. Look forward to someone cleverer than me spelling it out.

I can tell you one thing for certain: touring Japan in July will be daft. It's much hotter than June and intensely humid. That's one time when Japan should definitely be treated as a Northern Hemisphere side and go on tour themselves.

Rugby Fan

Posts : 4526
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 3:38 pm

France will be happy as the T14 ends in June anyway.

I guess that Pro12 and Premiership will have to move back a month as not sure anyone gains from an empty June with players not back at the clubs till late September after tours.

In the main it does seem to help the SH sides, with NH having to make all the compromises.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16721
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 3:44 pm

LondonTiger wrote:France will be happy as the T14 ends in June anyway.

I guess that Pro12 and Premiership will have to move back a month as not sure anyone gains from an empty June with players not back at the clubs till late September after tours.

In the main it does seem to help the SH sides, with NH having to make all the compromises.

It will be interesting to see the Pro 12 / AP response to this - it would certainly make sense for them to start later and finish later.

I'm not quite sure how that will affect the timing of Lions tours though....!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22109
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by BigGee on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 3:55 pm

I can't see the start of the season being pushed on from September, we will just lose more of our good weather window.

I am not actually that against this. It means the players should get some time off before heading off on tour every summer. The risk of them being a little undercooked needs to be balanced against them being on their hands and knees at the end of a long season, which is what happens now.

For international players, going on tour is going to be a bit like pre-season, with presumably a few weeks off again in August before being eased back into the fray in September.

It is going to hit some of the Guinness Pro 12 teams, who give up a lot of players to their national sides quite hard. The players in that league though, do generally get managed a bit better than in France and England, so it may all even up in the wash.

BigGee

Posts : 4204
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by BamBam on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 3:55 pm

So effectively it means the AIs are played after about 4 weeks of the domestic season rather than 8?

BamBam

Posts : 11949
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by LordDowlais on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 4:07 pm

It means we have to pander to the SH yet again. Rolling Eyes

We seem to make all the sacrifices up here, yet they want all our money. mad

LordDowlais

Posts : 11553
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by SecretFly on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 4:34 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It means we have to pander to the SH yet again. Rolling Eyes

We seem to make all the sacrifices up here, yet they want all our money. mad

So they are normal greedy humans? Wink Thank God for that - I've been hearing for so long from the media that they are Gods.

SecretFly

Posts : 26270
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by munkian on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 4:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:France will be happy as the T14 ends in June anyway.

I guess that Pro12 and Premiership will have to move back a month as not sure anyone gains from an empty June with players not back at the clubs till late September after tours.

In the main it does seem to help the SH sides, with NH having to make all the compromises.

Very odd that we are the hemisphere that makes all the money yet asks how high when they say jump.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7509
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 4:42 pm

The reason we are pandering to the shop is because we haven't pandered to them by moving our season.

What it also means is that summer tours won't get interfered with by the HC and T14 playoffs.

The downside is the hardest tests come straight off the break ...which is sub optimal. What it will allow is more continuity for the international sides through to the autumn games with only a short break apart.
The Irish may well choose to rest players as usual for early season games.

The other alternative is for the nh to shift the start of their club seasons together ...I find that unlikely.

Overall it doesn't mean any more rub you being played or any more or less rest. Just more difference.



Gooseberry

Posts : 3129
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by B91212 on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 4:49 pm

BigGee wrote:I can't see the start of the season being pushed on from September, we will just lose more of our good weather window..
Agreed. Wonder if they will put a small mid season shut down window into the leagues, say maybe late Nov into early Dec. But back in time for the Christmas/ New year program. Or even after the heavy Holiday program but back a couple of weeks before the 6N. Probably not but think it could be beneficial. Would mean Saracens mini team building breaks could become full on vacations Very Happy

Do agree with others though, does feel like the NH is doing all the compromising.

B91212

Posts : 1672
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by BigGee on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 5:00 pm

They could stretch out the season I suppose and avoid clashes with the international matches or build in an off week after those games. However they do it though, I don't really see our domestic season going on into June, it is just going to start to clash with to many other things. Rugby is a winter sport at the end of the day.

BigGee

Posts : 4204
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by ebop on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 5:30 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It means we have to pander to the SH yet again. Rolling Eyes

We seem to make all the sacrifices up here, yet they want all our money. mad
We want your money to pay our players and coaches more to stop them being poached by you lot. Stop raping SH talent, or get better at rugby on your own accord without having to rely on SA, NZ, Aus to make your game interesting.
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3937
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 5:59 pm

Not much new detail in this announcement regarding Tier 1 Nations bar the compromise on the June window following RWC.  6N wanted June tours abolished after a RWC, but they've now agreed to play just 2 tests with SANZAAR now having to play a tier two nation instead - a positive step.

The shift to July was well flagged in advance through various leaks. No surprises there.

The clubs and unions within 6N countries can now decide how to run their league and cup comps. The earlier start to the November internationals is not a biggie with the window still set at 3 weeks.  And the 6N have signed up collectively to hosting six tier two tests during this window - not much different to current agreement.  

PRO12 is moving to an 18-week regular season from 2018 onwards is the plan.  And it's likely that the season won't start until last week of September.   But no league matches would be played during Nov matches. Aviva will likely start later as well but may still have to play in window.

There's likely to be general agreement that the European comp will move and pool stages run unimpeded during December and January in one block. (A rest period over the Xmas is being mooted).  

Some of the English (and possibly French) clubs want to compress the Six Nations into five weeks - which is unlikely to find favour with the other four unions in PRO12.  Although it could help to avoid any league matches being played and a British & Irish development comp being played instead of the AngloWelsh dead-duck cup.

European playoffs to follow and the European Cup finals being shifted to end of season after the finals of the PRO12, Premiership and Top 14 in June.

Not much to do then.....
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5217
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by demosthenes on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 7:55 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Not much new detail in this announcement regarding Tier 1 Nations bar the compromise on the June window following RWC.  6N wanted June tours abolished after a RWC, but they've now agreed to play just 2 tests with SANZAAR now having to play a tier two nation instead - a positive step.

The shift to July was well flagged in advance through various leaks. No surprises there.

The clubs and unions within 6N countries can now decide how to run their league and cup comps. The earlier start to the November internationals is not a biggie with the window still set at 3 weeks.  And the 6N have signed up collectively to hosting six tier two tests during this window - not much different to current agreement.  

PRO12 is moving to an 18-week regular season from 2018 onwards is the plan.  And it's likely that the season won't start until last week of September.   But no league matches would be played during Nov matches. Aviva will likely start later as well but may still have to play in window.

There's likely to be general agreement that the European comp will move and pool stages run unimpeded during December and January in one block. (A rest period over the Xmas is being mooted).  

Some of the English (and possibly French) clubs want to compress the Six Nations into five weeks - which is unlikely to find favour with the other four unions in PRO12.  Although it could help to avoid any league matches being played and a British & Irish development comp being played instead of the AngloWelsh dead-duck cup.

European playoffs to follow and the European Cup finals being shifted to end of season after the finals of the PRO12, Premiership and Top 14 in June.

Not much to do then.....

Pro12 to become Pro10? Must have missed that one!

demosthenes

Posts : 419
Join date : 2013-10-23
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 9:06 pm

demosthenes wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Not much new detail in this announcement regarding Tier 1 Nations bar the compromise on the June window following RWC.  6N wanted June tours abolished after a RWC, but they've now agreed to play just 2 tests with SANZAAR now having to play a tier two nation instead - a positive step.

The shift to July was well flagged in advance through various leaks. No surprises there.

The clubs and unions within 6N countries can now decide how to run their league and cup comps. The earlier start to the November internationals is not a biggie with the window still set at 3 weeks.  And the 6N have signed up collectively to hosting six tier two tests during this window - not much different to current agreement.  

PRO12 is moving to an 18-week regular season from 2018 onwards is the plan.  And it's likely that the season won't start until last week of September.   But no league matches would be played during Nov matches. Aviva will likely start later as well but may still have to play in window.

There's likely to be general agreement that the European comp will move and pool stages run unimpeded during December and January in one block. (A rest period over the Xmas is being mooted).  

Some of the English (and possibly French) clubs want to compress the Six Nations into five weeks - which is unlikely to find favour with the other four unions in PRO12.  Although it could help to avoid any league matches being played and a British & Irish development comp being played instead of the AngloWelsh dead-duck cup.

European playoffs to follow and the European Cup finals being shifted to end of season after the finals of the PRO12, Premiership and Top 14 in June.

Not much to do then.....

Pro12 to become Pro10?  Must have missed that one!

Nope. Google the words 'PRO12 conference 18 weeks' and you can be informed.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5217
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Shifty on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:05 am

Far too much corporate gobbledygook in that article.  
Basically they seem to be saying their cutting one game off for British nations to tour the Southern hemisphere in June which is now moved to July.  
But are extending the season one month so Super Rugby can finish uninterrupted.  
This basically means that all the northern hemisphere players will finish their season at the end of July, then have their 10 weeks off season, and come back just in time for the November international series.  So international players start the club season, over the Christmas period, before leaving again for the 6 Nations.  Come back finish the club season, then are off on internationals again.

Basically it means European clubs will hardly have their international players so Super Rugby can be played uninterrupted.  While on the other, more games against Tier B countries meaning countries who depend on international rugby to fund their game will be worse off due to weaker opponents, hence less gate takings.

I'd suggest Ian Ritchie has laid down on the floor naked and handed Steve Tew the Vaseline.  We've caved to the Southern demands basically.
avatar
Shifty

Posts : 7293
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 38
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by robbo277 on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 9:02 am

Shifty wrote:Far too much corporate gobbledygook in that article.  
Basically they seem to be saying their cutting one game off for British nations to tour the Southern hemisphere in June which is now moved to July.  
But are extending the season one month so Super Rugby can finish uninterrupted.  
This basically means that all the northern hemisphere players will finish their season at the end of July, then have their 10 weeks off season, and come back just in time for the November international series.  So international players start the club season, over the Christmas period, before leaving again for the 6 Nations.  Come back finish the club season, then are off on internationals again.

Basically it means European clubs will hardly have their international players so Super Rugby can be played uninterrupted.  While on the other, more games against Tier B countries meaning countries who depend on international rugby to fund their game will be worse off due to weaker opponents, hence less gate takings.

I'd suggest Ian Ritchie has laid down on the floor naked and handed Steve Tew the Vaseline.  We've caved to the Southern demands basically.

When you put it like that, it looks like an interim move into a fully global season - one where we take the Southern Hemisphere model. In my mind, their model is much better, so I have no problem with this.

If what I've read on this is true, then you have International players playing Autumn Internationals, 6 European Cup pool games (with a break week), Six Nations, conclusion of league season, league play-offs, European play-offs, summer tour.

I think the next move could be an expansion/change of format for the European competition so it can be played after the Six Nations as well.

robbo277

Posts : 2932
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Shifty on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:44 am

I think this is going to cause an even bigger problem for international players, as basically they can play the European Cups, and the last few games of the club season, and nothing else.  
I'd expect the English and French clubs to really kick off over this.

Essentially the North has written off 4 weeks of their club season of having international players, in exchange for 1 less summer international for Wales, Ireland, England and France, so Super Rugby isn't interrupted.  Shocked
It also means that Northern Hemisphere international players will go straight into the November test series, totally under cooked and at a massive disadvantage because they would of barely played any rugby.
Other problems include, starting the season later in October, meaning we lose 4 weeks of better weather in the North. While the implication is the North play 2 games away to a major Southern Hemisphere team, then play 1 game in Eastern Europe, it's been proven before that jumping around continents on tour is normally a bad idea.

February to end of June - Uninterrupted Super Rugby season
July - All Blacks to play up to three tests against touring sides (including tier two nations)
August-September - Rugby Championship
August-October - Mitre 10 Cup
November - End of year tours


Last edited by Shifty on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shifty

Posts : 7293
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 38
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by robbo277 on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:55 am

Shifty wrote:I think this is going to cause an even bigger problem for international players, as basically they can play the European Cups, and the last few games of the club season, and nothing else.  
I'd expect the English and French clubs to really kick off over this.

Essentially the North has written off 4 weeks of their club season of having international players, in exchange for 1 less summer international for Wales, Ireland, England and France, so Super Rugby isn't interrupted.  Shocked
It also means that Northern Hemisphere international players will go straight into the November test series, totally under cooked and at a massive disadvantage because they would of barely played any rugby.  

I imagine they'll have tests in July, rest in August, train in September and play in October before the November tests. Each player will probably have a bespoke schedule, but that will be roughly right for everyone.

robbo277

Posts : 2932
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Shifty on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:14 am

robbo277 wrote:
Shifty wrote:I think this is going to cause an even bigger problem for international players, as basically they can play the European Cups, and the last few games of the club season, and nothing else.  
I'd expect the English and French clubs to really kick off over this.

Essentially the North has written off 4 weeks of their club season of having international players, in exchange for 1 less summer international for Wales, Ireland, England and France, so Super Rugby isn't interrupted.  Shocked
It also means that Northern Hemisphere international players will go straight into the November test series, totally under cooked and at a massive disadvantage because they would of barely played any rugby.  

I imagine they'll have tests in July, rest in August, train in September and play in October before the November tests. Each player will probably have a bespoke schedule, but that will be roughly right for everyone.

I think in July we'd go on a 2 test tour to say New Zealand, South Africa, or Australia, then on the way back we'd play a one off game against Japan, Georgia, or Romania. Instead of the simple 3 test game that we do now.

The Premiership and Pro 12 will start in October, not September. However the November international series will be the same. So basically Northern international players get a few warm up club games before taking on international touring teams. I think they will be too under cooked to compete.

Essentially it's:
July: Tour
August - 4 weeks of off season
September: 4 weeks of off season
October: first 2 weeks off season, second 2 weeks club games
November - test series

So basically 2 club games, then internationals again.
avatar
Shifty

Posts : 7293
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 38
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by demosthenes on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:16 am

I suspect that it will mean added demand from English / French clubs to pick up foreign players to act as cannon-fodder when their country's internationals are away; and more pressure on current / potential internationals from other Unions to stay in their own countries where they can be better looked after.


demosthenes

Posts : 419
Join date : 2013-10-23
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by RDW_Scotland on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:16 am

Glasgow Warriors are fairly unique (as far as I know) in how they do their off-season and pre-season.  They only give the players a week off at the end of the season then are straight back to training.  They then get a 3 week break in the middle of the training block and another week off at some point.

The idea being that players maintain a good level of fitness the whole time, whereas if they are given 5 weeks off they'll have a lot of work to do to get back to fitness.

I wonder if this new season structure will lead to the same process being adopted.  The top teams will be playing until later May/June (the teams that don't make finals a few weeks earlier) so the players could get a week or two off in early June, then have 3 weeks preparation for the summer tests.  After the tests they then get 3-4 weeks off then back into pre-season training late August / early September.

So the total time off is the same as a traditional 5 week rest period but it is split up.  I'm sure a sports scientist out there will say this is all a load of rubbish as they whole point of a 5 week rest period is for your body to recover, and that won't happen if you have a Test Series in the middle, or something like that...

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22109
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Shifty on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:37 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow Warriors are fairly unique (as far as I know) in how they do their off-season and pre-season.  They only give the players a week off at the end of the season then are straight back to training.  They then get a 3 week break in the middle of the training block and another week off at some point.

The idea being that players maintain a good level of fitness the whole time, whereas if they are given 5 weeks off they'll have a lot of work to do to get back to fitness.

I wonder if this new season structure will lead to the same process being adopted.  The top teams will be playing until later May/June (the teams that don't make finals a few weeks earlier) so the players could get a week or two off in early June, then have 3 weeks preparation for the summer tests.  After the tests they then get 3-4 weeks off then back into pre-season training late August / early September.

So the total time off is the same as a traditional 5 week rest period but it is split up.  I'm sure a sports scientist out there will say this is all a load of rubbish as they whole point of a 5 week rest period is for your body to recover, and that won't happen if you have a Test Series in the middle, or something like that...

I don't think any of that will matter within this system.  Face it, you go on a grueling summer tour covering 2 continents, then take 10 weeks off for the off season, and then your into a November series against battle hardened New Zealanders, South Africans and Australians, while you've just had a few training sessions and little rugby, 1 or 2 games maximum.  
It's a recipe to hand total dominance to the South, even worse than before.  The sad thing is the North were just starting to win a few November games, it's almost started to balance out a bit. But we've handed the initiative back to the South for no gain whatsoever.  All this so Super Rugby doesn't have a break?
avatar
Shifty

Posts : 7293
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 38
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by RDW_Scotland on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:42 am

Shifty wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow Warriors are fairly unique (as far as I know) in how they do their off-season and pre-season.  They only give the players a week off at the end of the season then are straight back to training.  They then get a 3 week break in the middle of the training block and another week off at some point.

The idea being that players maintain a good level of fitness the whole time, whereas if they are given 5 weeks off they'll have a lot of work to do to get back to fitness.

I wonder if this new season structure will lead to the same process being adopted.  The top teams will be playing until later May/June (the teams that don't make finals a few weeks earlier) so the players could get a week or two off in early June, then have 3 weeks preparation for the summer tests.  After the tests they then get 3-4 weeks off then back into pre-season training late August / early September.

So the total time off is the same as a traditional 5 week rest period but it is split up.  I'm sure a sports scientist out there will say this is all a load of rubbish as they whole point of a 5 week rest period is for your body to recover, and that won't happen if you have a Test Series in the middle, or something like that...

I don't think any of that will matter within this system.  Face it, you go on a grueling summer tour covering 2 continents, then take 10 weeks off for the off season, and then your into a November series against battle hardened New Zealanders, South Africans and Australians, while you've just had a few training sessions and little rugby, 1 or 2 games maximum.  
It's a recipe to hand total dominance to the South, even worse than before.  The sad thing is the North were just starting to win a few November games, it's almost started to balance out a bit.  But we've handed the initiative back to the South for no gain whatsoever.  All this so Super Rugby doesn't have a break?

Why would players have a 10 week off season? Are you including pre-season in that?

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22109
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by munkian on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:45 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/anglo-welsh-cup-set-expanded-12755443

The Anglo-Welsh Cup is set to be expanded as part of the new global calendar - potentially with Irish and Scottish teams coming on board.

With summer tours to be moved back a month from June to July after 2019, the domestic season in England will be extended in length.

It will still start in early September but run through until late June.

That will mean pretty much every Aviva Premiership match will be able to be played outside of the international window.

League games will no longer have to be scheduled during the Autumn Tests or the Six Nations, with the latter Championship set to be condensed into a six-week period rather than the current seven.

A Premiership source confirmed today the plan was to “substantially reduce” the overlap between league and international fixtures.

Currently, there are two Aviva rounds in the November window and four during the Six Nations.

Ending that overlap would leave a number of vacant weekends during the Test campaigns.

And the plan - also confirmed by the source - is to expand the existing Anglo-Welsh to cover those weeks, possibly with Irish and Scottish teams introduced.

It would then stand as the third competition behind the respective leagues and Europe.

With Premiership games all being played outside the Test window, the stars would be available throughout and as such there would be fewer opportunities for up and coming players.

The idea is to address that by having an expanded Anglo-Welsh Cup as a development competition which would give talented youngsters game time.

At present, teams are guaranteed just four fixtures and the structure is a convoluted one, with sides playing opponents from other groups rather than their own.

With more weekends available, it could be extended to take in home and away fixtures, while another option could see the likes of Munster, Glasgow and Leinster joining the party.

Welsh regions enjoyed success in the competition when it was a fully-blown event, with both the Ospreys and Cardiff Blues lifting the trophy.

But since it was downgraded to a development tournament in 2010, English clubs have dominated.

No Welsh team has reached the knock-out stages since the Scarlets made the semi-finals in 2012.

The competition took a break last season due to the World Cup, but it has been reintroduced this term, albeit without a sponsor.

It was the Ospreys who led the Welsh challenge, winning three of their four group matches and only missing out on qualification on points difference to Exeter Chiefs.

The final will be played at the Twickenham Stoop on Sunday, with the Chiefs taking on Leicester.

It remains to be seen whether the Celtic season will also be extended from 2020, with a September-June span.

That would enable Pro12 matches to be played outside the international window, tackling a major issue with the cross-border competition.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7509
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by robbo277 on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:52 am

Shifty wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow Warriors are fairly unique (as far as I know) in how they do their off-season and pre-season.  They only give the players a week off at the end of the season then are straight back to training.  They then get a 3 week break in the middle of the training block and another week off at some point.

The idea being that players maintain a good level of fitness the whole time, whereas if they are given 5 weeks off they'll have a lot of work to do to get back to fitness.

I wonder if this new season structure will lead to the same process being adopted.  The top teams will be playing until later May/June (the teams that don't make finals a few weeks earlier) so the players could get a week or two off in early June, then have 3 weeks preparation for the summer tests.  After the tests they then get 3-4 weeks off then back into pre-season training late August / early September.

So the total time off is the same as a traditional 5 week rest period but it is split up.  I'm sure a sports scientist out there will say this is all a load of rubbish as they whole point of a 5 week rest period is for your body to recover, and that won't happen if you have a Test Series in the middle, or something like that...

I don't think any of that will matter within this system.  Face it, you go on a grueling summer tour covering 2 continents, then take 10 weeks off for the off season, and then your into a November series against battle hardened New Zealanders, South Africans and Australians, while you've just had a few training sessions and little rugby, 1 or 2 games maximum.  
It's a recipe to hand total dominance to the South, even worse than before.  The sad thing is the North were just starting to win a few November games, it's almost started to balance out a bit.  But we've handed the initiative back to the South for no gain whatsoever.  All this so Super Rugby doesn't have a break?

I don't know where you get this 10 weeks off from.

Looking at Saracens' England players (as Saracens provide a lot), both Vunipolas, Itoje and Kruis started both England's last test on 25th June and Saracens first league game against Worcester on 3rd September. Jamie George, who benched against Australia in that game, also started. The only Saracens player to play the third test and miss the Worcester game was Farrell, who was injured. I'm sure a similar analysis could be done for all England players.

That's 10 weeks between games, not 10 weeks with their feet up.

If you push the tour back a month so it finishes on the 25th July, you can have players back ready for the 3rd October. That will give them 5 league games before the first Autumn game, or 4 league games then an extra week in camp.

robbo277

Posts : 2932
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by robbo277 on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:54 am

munkian wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/anglo-welsh-cup-set-expanded-12755443

The Anglo-Welsh Cup is set to be expanded as part of the new global calendar - potentially with Irish and Scottish teams coming on board.

With summer tours to be moved back a month from June to July after 2019, the domestic season in England will be extended in length.

It will still start in early September but run through until late June.

That will mean pretty much every Aviva Premiership match will be able to be played outside of the international window.

League games will no longer have to be scheduled during the Autumn Tests or the Six Nations, with the latter Championship set to be condensed into a six-week period rather than the current seven.

A Premiership source confirmed today the plan was to “substantially reduce” the overlap between league and international fixtures.

Currently, there are two Aviva rounds in the November window and four during the Six Nations.

Ending that overlap would leave a number of vacant weekends during the Test campaigns.

And the plan - also confirmed by the source - is to expand the existing Anglo-Welsh to cover those weeks, possibly with Irish and Scottish teams introduced.

It would then stand as the third competition behind the respective leagues and Europe.

With Premiership games all being played outside the Test window, the stars would be available throughout and as such there would be fewer opportunities for up and coming players.

The idea is to address that by having an expanded Anglo-Welsh Cup as a development competition which would give talented youngsters game time.

At present, teams are guaranteed just four fixtures and the structure is a convoluted one, with sides playing opponents from other groups rather than their own.

With more weekends available, it could be extended to take in home and away fixtures, while another option could see the likes of Munster, Glasgow and Leinster joining the party.

Welsh regions enjoyed success in the competition when it was a fully-blown event, with both the Ospreys and Cardiff Blues lifting the trophy.

But since it was downgraded to a development tournament in 2010, English clubs have dominated.

No Welsh team has reached the knock-out stages since the Scarlets made the semi-finals in 2012.

The competition took a break last season due to the World Cup, but it has been reintroduced this term, albeit without a sponsor.

It was the Ospreys who led the Welsh challenge, winning three of their four group matches and only missing out on qualification on points difference to Exeter Chiefs.

The final will be played at the Twickenham Stoop on Sunday, with the Chiefs taking on Leicester.

It remains to be seen whether the Celtic season will also be extended from 2020, with a September-June span.

That would enable Pro12 matches to be played outside the international window, tackling a major issue with the cross-border competition.

So International players are now playing 11 tests, 9 European games and 24 domestic games. At least they get a good 8 weeks off. Shocked

robbo277

Posts : 2932
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 7:55 pm

The PRO12 is going to be a two conference league from 2018, making it an 18-week regular season league.

The PRO12 and Aviva will start in late September.

November Internationals start in first week of the month.

European Cup played in December and January.

Six Nations reduced to 6 weeks possibly.

B&I development comp to replace Anglo Welsh cup

League and European finals, with European Cup Finals after PRO12, Premiership and Top 14 finals in June. Break and then go on tour in SH in July.

Season close for last week of July. New season start in last week of September.


avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5217
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by doctor_grey on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 8:20 am

robbo277 wrote:
munkian wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/anglo-welsh-cup-set-expanded-12755443

The Anglo-Welsh Cup is set to be expanded as part of the new global calendar - potentially with Irish and Scottish teams coming on board.

With summer tours to be moved back a month from June to July after 2019, the domestic season in England will be extended in length.

It will still start in early September but run through until late June.

That will mean pretty much every Aviva Premiership match will be able to be played outside of the international window.

League games will no longer have to be scheduled during the Autumn Tests or the Six Nations, with the latter Championship set to be condensed into a six-week period rather than the current seven.

A Premiership source confirmed today the plan was to “substantially reduce” the overlap between league and international fixtures.

Currently, there are two Aviva rounds in the November window and four during the Six Nations.

Ending that overlap would leave a number of vacant weekends during the Test campaigns.

And the plan - also confirmed by the source - is to expand the existing Anglo-Welsh to cover those weeks, possibly with Irish and Scottish teams introduced.

It would then stand as the third competition behind the respective leagues and Europe.

With Premiership games all being played outside the Test window, the stars would be available throughout and as such there would be fewer opportunities for up and coming players.

The idea is to address that by having an expanded Anglo-Welsh Cup as a development competition which would give talented youngsters game time.

At present, teams are guaranteed just four fixtures and the structure is a convoluted one, with sides playing opponents from other groups rather than their own.

With more weekends available, it could be extended to take in home and away fixtures, while another option could see the likes of Munster, Glasgow and Leinster joining the party.

Welsh regions enjoyed success in the competition when it was a fully-blown event, with both the Ospreys and Cardiff Blues lifting the trophy.

But since it was downgraded to a development tournament in 2010, English clubs have dominated.

No Welsh team has reached the knock-out stages since the Scarlets made the semi-finals in 2012.

The competition took a break last season due to the World Cup, but it has been reintroduced this term, albeit without a sponsor.

It was the Ospreys who led the Welsh challenge, winning three of their four group matches and only missing out on qualification on points difference to Exeter Chiefs.

The final will be played at the Twickenham Stoop on Sunday, with the Chiefs taking on Leicester.

It remains to be seen whether the Celtic season will also be extended from 2020, with a September-June span.

That would enable Pro12 matches to be played outside the international window, tackling a major issue with the cross-border competition.

So International players are now playing 11 tests, 9 European games and 24 domestic games. At least they get a good 8 weeks off. Shocked
But the player match-limit per season has stayed at 32 (which I personally and professionally believe is too many).  Therefore, in the case where International players go through all 9 Euro matches, that would still leave them available for only 12 League Club matches. So this doesn't really do anything for the clubs at all.

doctor_grey

Posts : 7865
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Shifty on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 5:13 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
But the player match-limit per season has stayed at 32 (which I personally and professionally believe is too many).  Therefore, in the case where International players go through all 9 Euro matches, that would still leave them available for only 12 League Club matches.  So this doesn't really do anything for the clubs at all.

Ah not true... Super rugby can go through the season without a break...
avatar
Shifty

Posts : 7293
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 38
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Re: World Rugby announces historic agreement on long-term calendar harmony

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum