Lions by Country

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lions by Country

Post by alive555 on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 8:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

here's some options at what the split could be assuming gatland picks on form

England - 16
Ireland - 9
Scotland - 7
Wales - 5

or

England - 15
Ireland - 9
Scotland - 7
Wales - 6

or

England - 14
Ireland - 10
Scotland - 7
Wales - 6

my personal guess it will be:-

England - 16
Ireland - 11
Wales - 9
Scotland - 3

discuss!
avatar
alive555

Posts : 963
Join date : 2011-10-01
Location : Bangkok

Back to top Go down


Re: Lions by Country

Post by rodders on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 11:56 am

I think the backrows will be the 2 Welsh flankers, Stander, Billy V with Itoje providing cover at 6.

Gat's might take Henderson too so that is 6 well covered so not sure POM will be at the races.

Haskell I think will take the final spot.  
avatar
rodders

Posts : 23818
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 12:53 pm

rodders wrote:If Tipuric and Warbs go.

I think the backrows will be the 2 Welsh flankers, Stander, Billy V with Itoje providing cover at 6.

Gat's might take Henderson too so that is 6 well covered so not sure POM will be at the races.

Haskell I think will take the final spot.  

Odds are against POM because he hasnt had much game time but you never know. He is certainly good enough.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 1969
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Griff on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 1:19 pm

Gats won't start Tips and Warbs together, IMO. He didn't like to do it when all he had to choose from was Welsh players, so I can't see him doing it when he has 4 nations to choose from. Only since Howley has come in have we seen Warbs and Tips playing together regularly, and not because of injuries. People were calling for Tips and Warbs for a few years, but being the stubborn so and so that he is Gats resisted. Had the public called form him not to play them together I reckon he would have played them together much sooner Wink

I think Gats likes a traditional back row. Gats likes an abrasive 6, hence Lydiate being in when he was good and more recently when he was bad; he likes a fetcher at 7, etc. Therefore, I can see him going for something like 6. POM or Stander = abrasive blindside; 7. Warbs = fetcher, 8. Billy V = yard gainer. Or players similar to that. To put it another way I can't see him going for a big ball carrying but less scavenging 7; can't see him going for a lightweight 6 or 8; etc.


Griff

Posts : 6901
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by SecretFly on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 4:17 pm

In short Griff, Gats likes Sandpaper lads.

SecretFly

Posts : 25867
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Griff on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 5:02 pm

SecretFly wrote:In short Griff, Gats likes Sandpaper lads.

Two things Fly. Firstly, I'm just guessing at what Gats likes so may be incorrect. Secondly, I don't know what you mean by Sandpaper Lads! Smile

Griff

Posts : 6901
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by SecretFly on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 5:15 pm

my new word for abrasive players Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 25867
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Griff on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm

SecretFly wrote:my new word for abrasive players Wink

Ahhhhhhh. Gotcha. Yes, he does Smile

Griff

Posts : 6901
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by George Carlin on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 7:33 am

rodders wrote:If Tipuric and Warbs go.

I think the backrows will be the 2 Welsh flankers, Stander, Billy V with Itoje providing cover at 6.

Gat's might take Henderson too so that is 6 well covered so not sure POM will be at the races.

Haskell I think will take the final spot.  
That would be absolutely horrendous.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13536
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by BigTrevsbigmac on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 7:45 am

Chris Robshaw makes his return tomorrow. Good timing to prove himself & Rowntree now part of the Lions coaching staff can press his claim

BigTrevsbigmac

Posts : 2827
Join date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 7:59 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Chris Robshaw makes his return tomorrow. Good timing to prove himself & Rowntree now part of the Lions coaching staff can press his claim

If he recovers he is worth taking. He is an outstanding rugby player.
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6739
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Gwlad on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 2:55 pm

Robshaw won't get anywhere near a lions tour. Its just laughable to suggest so. This is Gtaland we're talking about


Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by majesticimperialman on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 3:03 pm

Gwlad wrote:Robshaw won't get anywhere near a lions tour. Its just laughable to suggest so. This is Gtaland we're talking about


He is twice the player AWJ- is. And in my personal opinion would make a better Captain. Than AWJ.

majesticimperialman

Posts : 4501
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by George Carlin on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 7:47 pm

Are we all assuming that AWJ will be unbroken in sufficient time to travel?
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13536
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by BigGee on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 8:13 pm

George Carlin wrote:Are we all assuming that AWJ will be unbroken in sufficient time to travel?

He certainly won't be fit for the announcement of the squad. I can't remember if they have ever named players on the provision of fitness. I don't think so.

At the very least, it would surely have ruled him out of the captaincy.

BigGee

Posts : 3724
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by majesticimperialman on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 8:18 pm

BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Are we all assuming that AWJ will be unbroken in sufficient time to travel?

He certainly won't be fit for the announcement of the squad. I can't remember if they have ever named players on the provision of fitness. I don't think so.

At the very least, it would surely have ruled him out of the captaincy.


Should of ruled him out of the tour. Not just the Captaincy.

majesticimperialman

Posts : 4501
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Gwlad on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 3:40 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Are we all assuming that AWJ will be unbroken in sufficient time to travel?

He certainly won't be fit for the announcement of the squad. I can't remember if they have ever named players on the provision of fitness. I don't think so.

At the very least, it would surely have ruled him out of the captaincy.


Should of ruled him out of the tour. Not just the Captaincy.

You didn't think he'd be going on tour fit or not, you're so desperate to have him off the tour your bias is showing.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 5:19 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Are we all assuming that AWJ will be unbroken in sufficient time to travel?

He certainly won't be fit for the announcement of the squad. I can't remember if they have ever named players on the provision of fitness. I don't think so.

At the very least, it would surely have ruled him out of the captaincy.


Should of ruled him out of the tour. Not just the Captaincy.

 Hasnt he just popped it? all he needs is a couple of weeks rest. theres over two months till the tour he should be fine to play might need a needle though. if it was an worse they would have operated wouldnt they?

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by majesticimperialman on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 6:56 am

Gwlad wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:
BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Are we all assuming that AWJ will be unbroken in sufficient time to travel?

He certainly won't be fit for the announcement of the squad. I can't remember if they have ever named players on the provision of fitness. I don't think so.

At the very least, it would surely have ruled him out of the captaincy.


Should of ruled him out of the tour. Not just the Captaincy.

You didn't think he'd be going on tour fit or not, you're so desperate to have him off the tour your bias is showing.


Why will you not get it through your thick skull.

It is not biased. I simply believe he is not good enough, eithe as a second row. ( their are better ) Or as Captain.





majesticimperialman

Posts : 4501
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by BigTrevsbigmac on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 7:08 am

Kruis is targeting a mid April return. We should/could end up with 3 quality locks as back ups not touring in AWJ,Lawes & Kruis.

BigTrevsbigmac

Posts : 2827
Join date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 8:07 am

It gets a bit silly when you're being accused of bias when you don't think AWJ is good enough to be touring, nobody has a god given right to be selected.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 11994
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 8:38 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It gets a bit silly when you're being accused of bias when you don't think AWJ is good enough to be touring, nobody has a god given right to be selected.

It gets even more silly when people fail to use the quote function properly so you cant even decipher which one is arguing what about which player.

The same principles apply to AWJ and Robshaw:

Both will be fit. Both have to be selected on merit.

In AWJs case hes had more recent international game time, with varied results. In Robshaws case he had good international performances some months ago, and has the opportunity to press his case in upcoming club games. Neither though would be getting sleected largely on the last 6 months (unlike somone like Daly) though, they are both long term proven quality players. Not quite in teh same league but the likes of BOD and SWilliams wouldnt have got selected for tours based on their form in the run up to them.

Both of them play in very competitive positions.

I persoanlly think AWJ has a far better chance of getting selected though, and is a possible captain despite all the fuss that was kicked up about certain decisions. Neither should be massively controversial if included or left behind, but whatever happens you can garuntee someone will get forum outrage over it. (Probably a Scotlander when both the Greys dont get selected and Laidlaw isnt Capatain Rolling Eyes )

Gooseberry

Posts : 2781
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 9:29 am

Gooseberry wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:It gets a bit silly when you're being accused of bias when you don't think AWJ is good enough to be touring, nobody has a god given right to be selected.

It gets even more silly when people fail to use the quote function properly so you cant even decipher which one is arguing what about which player.

The same principles apply to AWJ and Robshaw:

Both will be fit. Both have to be selected on merit.

In AWJs case hes had more recent international game time, with varied results. In Robshaws case he had good international performances some months ago, and has the opportunity to press his case in upcoming club games. Neither though would be getting sleected largely on the last 6 months (unlike somone like Daly) though, they are both long term proven quality players. Not quite in teh same league but the likes of BOD and SWilliams wouldnt have got selected for tours based on their form in the run up to them.

Both of them play in very competitive positions.

I persoanlly think AWJ has a far better chance of getting selected though, and is a possible captain despite all the fuss that was kicked up about certain decisions. Neither should be massively controversial if included or left behind, but whatever happens you can garuntee someone will get forum outrage over it. (Probably a Scotlander when both the Greys dont get selected and Laidlaw isnt Capatain Rolling Eyes )

At least spell their names right if you're trying to be funny.

Tattie Scones RRN

Posts : 1642
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 41
Location : Scottish Rugby Purgatory

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Cyril on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 10:37 am

Never make fun of The Graze Shocked

Cyril

Posts : 5919
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by cascough on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 10:52 am

Wouldn't be surprised to see both of the Graighs miss out to be honest. They were pretty good in the 6N but neither were particularly abrasive. I reckon that's the way to beat New Zealand and I've a sneaking suspicion Gatland will too.

cascough

Posts : 533
Join date : 2016-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 11:42 am

cascough wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see both of the Graighs miss out to be honest. They were pretty good in the 6N but neither were particularly abrasive. I reckon that's the way to beat New Zealand and I've a sneaking suspicion Gatland will too.

That might be fair comment on Richie Gray but anyone who says Jonny Gray isn't an abrasive player simply hasn't watched him play.

I don't think either Gray is a shoe-in for the Lions, but taking form into account over the last 12 months, I think Jonny Gray has a very strong case. That said, and as has been said numerous times on here, the lock selection is going to be brutal. Several very good players are going to miss out. I'm a huge fan of Iain Henderson for example, and yet he rarely features in mock Lions squads, probably because both Launchbury and Itoje have played so well in recent times.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15411
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by cascough on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
cascough wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see both of the Graighs miss out to be honest. They were pretty good in the 6N but neither were particularly abrasive. I reckon that's the way to beat New Zealand and I've a sneaking suspicion Gatland will too.

That might be fair comment on Richie Gray but anyone who says Jonny Gray isn't an abrasive player simply hasn't watched him play.

I don't think either Gray is a shoe-in for the Lions, but taking form into account over the last 12 months, I think Jonny Gray has a very strong case. That said, and as has been said numerous times on here, the lock selection is going to be brutal. Several very good players are going to miss out. I'm a huge fan of Iain Henderson for example, and yet he rarely features in mock Lions squads, probably because both Launchbury and Itoje have played so well in recent times.

I watched him 5 times this 6N. We may differ on what constitutes abrasiveness of course, but I wasn't the only one to point out that whilst his workrate was excellent his physicality was lacking. For a second rower I don't think he carried well (again this was noted by pundits) and I also didn't think he was smashing people back in the tackle enough. Just how I see it. In those respects I feel there are better options out there for the game I would want to play.

cascough

Posts : 533
Join date : 2016-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by chris_501 on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 1:17 pm

Jonny gets in ahead of Lawes and Kruis for me, such a consistent player.

He will have to really impress to get into the Test team, it will be two of Itoje, AWJ and Launchbury in my opinion, with the other on the bench.

chris_501

Posts : 321
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Lions by Country

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum