Hogg

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hogg

Post by R!skysports on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:23 pm

Seems a reasonable player. Anyone know anything about him?

R!skysports

Posts : 3261
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by funnyExiledScot on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:35 pm

He has an attitude problem.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15411
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by TightHEAD on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:40 pm

I've heard his team mates think he is a silly billy as its all about him.
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2674
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : Wellington here I come.

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Sin é on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:47 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:He has an attitude problem.

How so? Poor trainer or what?
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 12975
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:47 pm

Aly Hogg is a quality player...seriously good for us, but starting to get on a wee bit. Doubt he'll make the Lions.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18312
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Cyril on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:50 pm

Warren Gatland wrote:Seems a reasonable player. Anyone know anything about him?

Cyril

Posts : 5936
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by SecretFly on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:50 pm

Boss Hogg was a devious basterde but a loveable rogue when you got to know him better

SecretFly

Posts : 25867
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by funnyExiledScot on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:50 pm

Cyril wrote:
Warren Gatland wrote:Seems a reasonable player. Anyone know anything about him?

I think he can play fly half.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15411
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by SecretFly on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:52 pm

Cyril wrote:
Warren Gatland wrote:Seems a reasonable player. Anyone know anything about him?

laughing

He's the player you're not going to bring coz you got Halfpenny already practicing his 200metre kicks.

SecretFly

Posts : 25867
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by tigertattie on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 1:57 pm

He's easily frightened in hotel corridors.
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4292
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:18 pm

Serious question now....

Could Hogg be classed as the best FB in the world right now?

And I don't mean as a result of a public vote, but in general?

Tattie Scones RRN

Posts : 1642
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 41
Location : Scottish Rugby Purgatory

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by No 7&1/2 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:22 pm

He'd have to be considered yes. Think personally I'd still go with Folou but he's been playing in midfield or at least was when I last saw him.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 12742
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by SecretFly on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:24 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Serious question now....

Could Hogg be classed as the best FB in the world right now?

And I don't mean as a result of a public vote, but in general?

He'd be in the league. 'Best' is a relative term, depending on which Nation you come from. Exciting 15 that always raises the possibilities of something special being unlocked whenever he gets the ball.

SecretFly

Posts : 25867
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by cascough on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:25 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Serious question now....

Could Hogg be classed as the best FB in the world right now?

And I don't mean as a result of a public vote, but in general?

Ben Smith just expired with laughter. As a result of that, Hogg is now in the mix.

cascough

Posts : 542
Join date : 2016-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by miaow on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:30 pm

Dagg and Smith both quite a bit better. One of them's not even playing 15.

miaow

Posts : 1337
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by IanBru on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:31 pm

I think 'best' depends entirely on what you're looking for from your fullback - is it defensive solidity, skill under the high ball, playmaking, counter attacking, raw pace, agility? We all have our own theories.

Then there's the question of consistency - if one player's peak performance is exceptional, but he only reaches it in 10% of games, is he better than a merely 'good' but consistent player? For example, I think that Niko Matawalu during the 2012-14 period was the single best player I've ever watched. He routinely did things with a rugby ball that I'd label sheer, unadulterated genius. That being said, he also threw a no-look pass to no one, behind his own line, which the opposition (Dragons, if i recall) pounced on to score, costing Glasgow the game. Was Niko the best? Maybe, maybe not.

However, I think by all reasonable standards, Hogg is in the top two or three full backs in the world. Of course, according to the Torygraph, he can also play across the back line. He bloody can't.
avatar
IanBru

Posts : 2697
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 29
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by aucklandlaurie on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:34 pm

miaow wrote:Dagg and Smith both quite a bit better. One of them's not even playing 15.

 At the moment Beaudie Barrett is the ABs number 2 fullback so noone could call him best in the World.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7239
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:37 pm

His name seems more suitable for a front row forward. He should be called Van Der Flier or Bolt or something.

I suppose in someways for Scotland the play well pigs would have to start to fly.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2005
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:41 pm

Is Hogg the best full back in the world, I'd have to say no, Ben Smith is the more complete player, I watch the highlanders play a lot and he is an incredible player. however Ben Smith is 6 years older than Hogg.

Hogg I'd say is the better attacking player, but Smith is more rounded, you'd expect 6 more years experience in Rugby would do that for a player. I think by the next RWC, if he stays consistent Hogg will be the best full back in the world, definitely the best in the NH, but he has a wee bit of ground to make up on Smith.
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6759
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:43 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Serious question now....

Could Hogg be classed as the best FB in the world right now?

And I don't mean as a result of a public vote, but in general?

Judging by the constant wailing on the Wales team selection threads youd think it was Williams

Gooseberry

Posts : 2792
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by jimbopip on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:46 pm

I don't know about the best, but when I was last at Murrayfield the crowd were on their feet every time he fielded a Long ball.
How many players in the world have that effect?

jimbopip

Posts : 3486
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:48 pm

jimbopip wrote:I don't know about the best, but when I was last at Murrayfield the crowd were on their feet every time he fielded a Long ball.
How many players in the world have that effect?

How many other players get to field long balls as a home player at Murrayfield?

Gooseberry

Posts : 2792
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by jimbopip on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:51 pm

Depends: are the opposition coached by Warren Garland?

jimbopip

Posts : 3486
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by carpet baboon on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm

I know he has been mentored by the great Phil Vickery (may be never retire) and once made spaghetti for primal scream front man bobby gilespie

carpet baboon

Posts : 1346
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Shifty on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 3:57 pm

Saw the late and dangerous shoulder charge on Dan Biggar which got him sent off, resulting in Scotland losing by a record score to Wales.   Then his pathetic play acting against South Africa which earned him a row off Nigel Owens.  

In terms of his game play he seems of got out of the silly habit of making a clean break and throwing blind passes to thin air, often the touch line, which is good for Scotland.

I think he has rugby talent much not much common sense to be honest.  He'll be remembered as a talented player, with a colorful disciplinary record. Coming to the age of 25, it's possible he is starting to mature as a person, and hopefully he will out grow these pathetic flippant antics that have cropped up far too often in his career so far.


Last edited by Shifty on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shifty

Posts : 7291
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 37
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 3:58 pm

Only by eejits from Wales.

Tattie Scones RRN

Posts : 1642
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 41
Location : Scottish Rugby Purgatory

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 4:09 pm

Shifty wrote:Saw the late and dangerous shoulder charge on Dan Biggar which got him sent off, resulting in Scotland losing by a record score to Wales.   Then his pathetic play acting against South Africa which earned him a row off Nigel Owens.  

In terms of his game play he seems of got out of the silly habit of making a clean break and throwing blind passes to thin air, often the touch line, which is good for Scotland.

I think he has rugby talent much not much common sense to be honest.  He'll be remembered as a talented player, with a colorful disciplinary record.  Coming to the age of 25, it's possible he is starting to mature as a person, and hopefully he will out grow these pathetic flippant antics that have cropped up far too often in his career so far.

Pint of bitter!?
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6759
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Shifty on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 4:17 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Pint of bitter!?

You asked for opinions, I gave you my reply.  Why start a thread if your going to sit there and troll the replies?

Debate my points if you take issue with them.  
Did he not play act against South Africa?
Did he not get sent off against Wales?  Even before the sending off watch him ram his knee into Liam Williams as Liam scores a try.  Hogg was lucky that Liam didn't take issue with it.  
Did he not have a habit of making breaks and throwing a wasted pass to thin air too often?

No dispute from me on his talent. I just think he has a lot of rough edges, that will hopefully round off as he matures as a person.
avatar
Shifty

Posts : 7291
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 37
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 4:24 pm

Shifty wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Pint of bitter!?

You asked for opinions, I gave you my reply.  Why start a thread if your going to sit there and troll the replies?

Debate my points if you take issue with them.  
Did he not play act against South Africa?
Did he not get sent off against Wales?  Even before the sending off watch him ram his knee into Liam Williams as Liam scores a try.  Hogg was lucky that Liam didn't take issue with it.  
Did he not have a habit of making breaks and throwing a wasted pass to thin air too often?

No dispute from me on his talent.

I didn't start the thread. king

Did he not play act against South Africa?
Yes, he's not the first player and not the last.

Did he not get sent off against Wales?
Yes, I didn't realize that had to be taken into account when he hasn't done anything like that since, so bringing it up here is relevant, how exactly?


 Even before the sending off watch him ram his knee into Liam Williams as Liam scores a try.  Hogg was lucky that Liam didn't take issue with it.  

Rugby players rough each other up, in shifty's next post the staggering revelation that water is wet!!!

Did he not have a habit of making breaks and throwing a wasted pass to thin air too often?

Perhaps, once, but this year I seem to remember him having a positive influence in just about every try we scored in the 6N, aside from when he was concussed against England.

By all means though if any of this helps you deal with the situation that he was named player of the tournament please type bile all over this forum, get it all out your system.

Although I am somehow bemused how a players past errors, mistakes or transgressions make any sort of difference to the accolade he collected today.
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6759
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Shifty on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 5:00 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
I didn't start the thread. king

Did he not play act against South Africa?
Yes, he's not the first player and not the last.

Did he not get sent off against Wales?
Yes, I didn't realize that had to be taken into account when he hasn't done anything like that since, so bringing it up here is relevant, how exactly?


 Even before the sending off watch him ram his knee into Liam Williams as Liam scores a try.  Hogg was lucky that Liam didn't take issue with it.  

Rugby players rough each other up, in shifty's next post the staggering revelation that water is wet!!!

Did he not have a habit of making breaks and throwing a wasted pass to thin air too often?

Perhaps, once, but this year I seem to remember him having a positive influence in just about every try we scored in the 6N, aside from when he was concussed against England.

By all means though if any of this helps you deal with the situation that he was named player of the tournament please type bile all over this forum, get it all out your system.

Although I am somehow bemused how a players past errors, mistakes or transgressions make any sort of difference to the accolade he collected today.

Superb so I guess we both agree on my final conclusion then, as posted above:

Coming to the age of 25, it's possible he is starting to mature as a person, and hopefully he will out grow these pathetic flippant antics that have cropped up far too often in his career so far.
avatar
Shifty

Posts : 7291
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 37
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 5:06 pm

Shifty wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
I didn't start the thread. king

Did he not play act against South Africa?
Yes, he's not the first player and not the last.

Did he not get sent off against Wales?
Yes, I didn't realize that had to be taken into account when he hasn't done anything like that since, so bringing it up here is relevant, how exactly?


 Even before the sending off watch him ram his knee into Liam Williams as Liam scores a try.  Hogg was lucky that Liam didn't take issue with it.  

Rugby players rough each other up, in shifty's next post the staggering revelation that water is wet!!!

Did he not have a habit of making breaks and throwing a wasted pass to thin air too often?

Perhaps, once, but this year I seem to remember him having a positive influence in just about every try we scored in the 6N, aside from when he was concussed against England.

By all means though if any of this helps you deal with the situation that he was named player of the tournament please type bile all over this forum, get it all out your system.

Although I am somehow bemused how a players past errors, mistakes or transgressions make any sort of difference to the accolade he collected today.

Superb so I guess we both agree on my final conclusion then, as posted above:

Coming to the age of 25, it's possible he is starting to mature as a person, and hopefully he will out grow these pathetic flippant antics that have cropped up far too often in his career so far.

Twice? Is that the same as far too often?
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6759
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by B91212 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 6:12 pm

Selfish player and not a team man. Look at the England game, could see the writing on the wall so deliberately failed his HIA so as not to damage his reputation, especially with the Player of the Tournament vote looming. With hindsight the correct decision it seems  Wink.

Being serious I think he still has a couple of areas he could be better but feel he is currently the best in the NH. But best 15 in the world? Not for me, still some way behind Ben Smith but there is no shame in that. Would put him in the next group down somewhere on a par with Dagg, Folau and B. Barrett when he plays there.

B91212

Posts : 1657
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gwlad on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 6:41 pm

Its a poor showing at 15. I think Williams will get it. Gtaland likes him there, he's awesome on the counter and defensively superb.

Hogg is brilliant but defensively suspect, Half is steady but offers little in attack - though he did in 2013 - defensively strong and critically likely not required as a kicker with Sex and Farrell.

Brown is poopie, there is no one else.

Williams for me

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 7:02 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Williams for me

via Imgflip Meme Generator
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6759
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gwlad on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 8:33 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Williams for me

via Imgflip Meme Generator

so you've attributed that to bias and consequently revealed your own

make an argument like i did or go and fiddle with your sporran there's a good jock thumbsup

and though Jonno is a bit of a neanderthal i think he can spell correctly.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by TJ on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 8:57 pm

R!skysports wrote:Seems a reasonable player. Anyone know anything about him?

Bit small for modern day rugby

TJ

Posts : 6610
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by TJ on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:02 pm

gwalad

RBS - accenture did a load of number crunching to come up with the shortlist and loopy Liam wasn't even in the top 12 players.

He is a good player but his stats this 6 nations nowhere near Hoggs.

I'd have loopy Liam in the lions tho but on the wing

TJ

Posts : 6610
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gwlad on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:08 pm

TJ wrote:gwalad

RBS - accenture did a load of number crunching to come up with the shortlist and loopy Liam wasn't even in the top 12 players.

He is a good player but his stats this 6 nations nowhere near Hoggs.

I'd have loopy Liam in the lions tho but on the wing

Reason being he is wasted on the wing and likes to counter on the hoof from kicks, everyone knows that but Howler.

Look i think he is a better balance than Hogg. Hogg is brilliant and has Lions experience but i think f you're NZ you're going to exploit his defensive weaknesses. Liam is nowhere near the attacking threat but we need a balanced player and i think you see the best of him from 15 not wing. He is solid under the high ball, defensively tenacious and a real threat in attack especially when receiving kicks.



Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by TJ on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:19 pm

I don't remember Hogg making a single defensive error this 6N and the lions will need his attacking threat

TJ

Posts : 6610
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gwlad on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:47 pm

TJ wrote:I don't remember Hogg making a single defensive error this 6N and the lions will need his attacking threat

I agree and i would be happy with Hogg for sure, i just think Gatland might favor Williams - he's a huge fan. Hogg would make an excellent impact player

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by miaow on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 10:14 pm

Gwlad wrote:
TJ wrote:gwalad

RBS - accenture did a load of number crunching to come up with the shortlist and loopy Liam wasn't even in the top 12 players.

He is a good player but his stats this 6 nations nowhere near Hoggs.

I'd have loopy Liam in the lions tho but on the wing

Reason being he is wasted on the wing and likes to counter on the hoof from kicks, everyone knows that but Howler.

Look i think he is a better balance than Hogg. Hogg is brilliant and has Lions experience but i think f you're NZ you're going to exploit his defensive weaknesses. Liam is nowhere near the attacking threat but we need a balanced player and i think you see the best of him from 15 not wing. He is solid under the high ball, defensively tenacious and a real threat in attack especially when receiving kicks.



I do know what you mean, Gwlad, Liam is definitely better at 15 in attack. He was outstanding in New Zealand, whereas he's receiving slow, often quite flat ball on the wing, and it's a lot harder for him to shine.

However, I don't think Gatland will play him at 15 for the Lions. He dislikes him there for Wales, and I understand why. Honestly, I don't think there is a better defensive 15 in the world than Halfpenny. He's getting a lot of stick for dropping a few high balls, and yes that's disappointing, but it happens. His defensive positionining, however, is genuinely astounding. How many times does he mop up a chip or grubber just before the attacking player? It's those small margins where he's brilliant, and why sometimes the fact he doesn't score tries is offset when he stops them from being scored. Not only that, but when he fields the ball, he never seems to take a bad option, either using his footwork to stop the chaser putting in an effective tackle, allowing support to arrive and secure the ruck, or sending good clearing kicks away down field, often with not very far from the touchline. Halfpenny's getting a lot of stick on this forum, but I think he's had as good a 6 Nations as I can remember for a long time in open play. His attacking has certainly looked a lot better, albeit- like the whole team- it's not quite working every time (his take and pass against Ireland was fantastic, though).

The problem with Liam is he's not only a bit suspect with his positioning, but he's directly being compared to Halfpenny, and he's never going to be as good as him. Gatland will opt for defence before attack, unfortunately, in almost all positions. You can engineer points and tries without being a flair player, whereas it's very hard to make flair players hold out the opposition.

Look at Japan's try against Wales in the Autumn. Liam makes a great break from 15, I think it's a little chip over the top, or that he tries to offload in the tackle and it gets intercepted. Japan keep the ball alive, and move it into the wide channels. As Liam is obviously out of position, he is sprinting back to try to get back to cover. Unfortunately, Japan keep moving forward, and Liam is having to run very fast to try to make the final cover tackle that would stop the attack dead. Due to the pace he's running at, the Japanese player (replacement flanker/back row I believe?) is able to step inside him, Liam can't adjust in time to make the tackle, and a try is scored directly as a result of his attacking instincts, turning over the ball, and failing to be good enough defensively. It's harsh, but it was very nearly the difference between a draw and a win.

That's why, for me, Liam Williams is a wing option for the Lions before he's a full back. The benefit is, most teams- like NZ with Dagg- look to play with a 15, a winger/15, and then a strike runner, like North, Vakatawa etc.

It seems unbelievably harsh on Hogg, but I can see Gatland doing everything he can to get Halfpenny into form to be the Test XV, and that includes shifting Hogg to the wing in the midweek games, and possibly the tests. I think the possibilities are as follows:

15. Hogg/Halfpenny/at a push L Williams/Kearney/Brown/Daly
14. North/Seymour/at a push Earls/!?! (I feel I'm forgetting someone)
11. Watson/Hogg/L Williams/Nowell/Zebo

miaow

Posts : 1337
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gwlad on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 10:44 pm

Hogg, North & Watson is a killer back 3, though i don't think Watson will make it even though id like him to.

I think you're wrong regards Half. He just isn't going to be needed as a kicker with Farrell definite to start. So, what else does he bring, he's wobbly right now under the high ball and has little pace. He is superb in defense and i think he edges everyone on that score. I think Gats will be more ambitious than that though; the Lions must work on ball in hand to win games because you just know NZ will breach any defensive strategy eventually.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 11:06 pm

Even when teams beat NZ, they never shut them out. No matter who plays full back NZ will score tries. Williams for me should be on one wing and North on the other with Hogg at full back. If you are worried about Hoggs defence, which you shouldn't be because his tackle stats are pretty good this 6N, swap him with Williams.

Leaving the best attacking player out of the Test team to face NZ would be a critical error.
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6759
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 11:35 pm

I think perhaps because Hogg is so good in attack people highlight his defensive errors more. Every FB misses tackles, in part because often they're asked to stop players running at them at pace (see also, Mike Brown vs Campagnaro). Hogg's defense is solid enough (two excellent try-saving tackles against Italy) and he's the best in the NH (maybe even the world) in attack.

As RR says, the Lions won't beat NZ the same way Wales beat Ireland (i.e. rock solid in defense and taking chances as they come), NZ are too good an attacking side for that, so Gatland IMO needs to pick a team who'll score tries. Not picking Hogg would be madness.

I'd also find a place for Liam Williams to be fair, who I think is a cracking player. Seymour would probably take the final spot, he runs great lines and is strong under the high ball, really good all-round player.

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 11604
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gwlad on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 11:43 pm

Look we all know that NZ aren't going to win by attrition unless they're weakened and that becomes a necessary game plan; rarely if ever i expect. They always concede points and they always score more! Might sound simple but it isn't as we all know. So i do expect Gats will know he has to go on the attack and that means a brutally aggressive tight 5 , extremely high tempo rugby and perhaps some off load rugby (this is one tactic i think we really need to develop) By the same token i think he will want a very sold list line of defense so we will have to see which way he goes. He might go super conservative with Half but i doubt that. I do wonder if Kearney has a sniff of a tour too

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by king_carlos on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 2:30 am

1.Vunipola 2.George 3.Furlong 4.Itoje 5.J Gray

That would fit the bill for a big tight 5 that could be very physical in the tight and solid at set-piece. Jamie George throwing to J Gray and club teammate Itoje should give some cohesion in the line-out. 

Mako Vunipola scrummages well with George and offers a lot around the park in what is a position with lots of good options but no standout. Tadhg Furlong is a bull of a man.

Then you have 5 ball carriers and big defensive work rate in the second row.

king_carlos

Posts : 3273
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Gwlad on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 4:17 am

king_carlos wrote:1.Vunipola 2.George 3.Furlong 4.Itoje 5.J Gray

That would fit the bill for a big tight 5 that could be very physical in the tight and solid at set-piece. Jamie George throwing to J Gray and club teammate Itoje should give some cohesion in the line-out. 

Mako Vunipola scrummages well with George and offers a lot around the park in what is a position with lots of good options but no standout. Tadhg Furlong is a bull of a man.

Then you have 5 ball carriers and big defensive work rate in the second row.

Yeah i like that, maybe Launchbury over Gray, but it would work and your reasoning makes a lot of sense. If we have carriers up front and are extremely mobile i think we stand a good chance. Will George go though…Best and Owens and Hartley all seem to be ahead of him though he is arguably a better player than all of them.

Stick Billy V and Warburton or POM and Stander behind them and thats one hell of a pack

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 8:13 am

Gwlad wrote:
king_carlos wrote:1.Vunipola 2.George 3.Furlong 4.Itoje 5.J Gray

That would fit the bill for a big tight 5 that could be very physical in the tight and solid at set-piece. Jamie George throwing to J Gray and club teammate Itoje should give some cohesion in the line-out. 

Mako Vunipola scrummages well with George and offers a lot around the park in what is a position with lots of good options but no standout. Tadhg Furlong is a bull of a man.

Then you have 5 ball carriers and big defensive work rate in the second row.

Yeah i like that, maybe Launchbury over Gray, but it would work and your reasoning makes a lot of sense. If we have carriers up front and are extremely mobile i think we stand a good chance. Will George go though…Best and Owens and Hartley all seem to be ahead of him though he is arguably a better player than all of them.

Stick Billy V and Warburton or POM and Stander behind them and thats one hell of a pack

That's the pack I'd choose, with Launchbury possibly over one of either Gray or Itoje. Retallic and Whitelock are also incredible, but what is scary is something that seems to be approaching a consensus on this forum. The backrow of POM, Warbs and Stander/Billy is a given for me.

But look at the schedule, the players we are all picking just now as being at their peaks, how many will get through the tour unscathed to play a part in the tests?
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6759
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by alive555 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 8:59 am

Gwlad wrote:
TJ wrote:gwalad

RBS - accenture did a load of number crunching to come up with the shortlist and loopy Liam wasn't even in the top 12 players.

He is a good player but his stats this 6 nations nowhere near Hoggs.

I'd have loopy Liam in the lions tho but on the wing

Reason being he is wasted on the wing and likes to counter on the hoof from kicks, everyone knows that but Howler.

Look i think he is a better balance than Hogg. Hogg is brilliant and has Lions experience but i think f you're NZ you're going to exploit his defensive weaknesses. Liam is nowhere near the attacking threat but we need a balanced player and i think you see the best of him from 15 not wing. He is solid under the high ball, defensively tenacious and a real threat in attack especially when receiving kicks.



According to you all Welsh players are better than Scottish .

Lets face it the only welsh back who would get into the Scottish backline is webb.

Wales can't score tries.because their backs are poop Cool

avatar
alive555

Posts : 963
Join date : 2011-10-01
Location : Bangkok

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 9:04 am

alive555 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
TJ wrote:gwalad

RBS - accenture did a load of number crunching to come up with the shortlist and loopy Liam wasn't even in the top 12 players.

He is a good player but his stats this 6 nations nowhere near Hoggs.

I'd have loopy Liam in the lions tho but on the wing

Reason being he is wasted on the wing and likes to counter on the hoof from kicks, everyone knows that but Howler.

Look i think he is a better balance than Hogg. Hogg is brilliant and has Lions experience but i think f you're NZ you're going to exploit his defensive weaknesses. Liam is nowhere near the attacking threat but we need a balanced player and i think you see the best of him from 15 not wing. He is solid under the high ball, defensively tenacious and a real threat in attack especially when receiving kicks.



According to you all Welsh players are better than Scottish .

Lets face it the only welsh back who would get into the Scottish backline is webb.

Wales can't score tries.because their backs are poop  Cool


That is a little harsh on George North. I would consider him for one of our wing spots, but then compare their latest head to head to make my final decision Ok!
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6759
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hogg

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum