The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sarracens Vs Glasgow Warriors European Champions Cup 1/4 Final

+25
TheMildlyFranticLlama
A Simply Mesmeric Try
eirebilly
Exiledinborders
cakeordeath
SecretFly
BigTrevsbigmac
RDW
Eejit
TJ
demosthenes
George Carlin
Hazel Sapling
formerly known as Sam
Sin é
jimbopip
IanBru
LondonTiger
beshocked
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
funnyExiledScot
EST
mikey_dragon
BigGee
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sarracens Vs Glasgow Warriors European Champions Cup 1/4 Final Empty Sarracens Vs Glasgow Warriors European Champions Cup 1/4 Final

Post by BigGee Sun 26 Mar 2017, 10:26 am

Sarracens v Glasgow Warriors
European Champions Cup 1/4 Finals

Allianz Park, London

02/04/2017

Kick off 13.00

Televised on Sky Sports

Teams

Saracens

15 Alex Goode (223)
14 Chris Ashton (111)
13 Marcelo Bosch (91)
12 Brad Barritt (c) (191)
11 Sean Maitland (16)
10 Owen Farrell (146)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (180)

1 Mako Vunipola (114)
2 Jamie George (166)
3 Juan Figallo (57)
4 Maro Itoje (69)
5 Jim Hamilton (69)
6 Michael Rhodes (51)
7 Jackson Wray (166)
8 Billy Vunipola (71)

Replacements

16 Schalk Brits (194)
17 Titi Lamositele (38)
18 Vincent Koch (8)
19 Kelly Brown (152)
20 Joel Conlon (10)
21 Ben Spencer (95)
22 Alex Lozowski (24)
23 Duncan Taylor (97)

Glasgow Warriors

15. Stuart Hogg (97) (30)
14. Tommy Seymour (97) (25)
13. Alex Dunbar (95) (23)
12. Peter Horne (110) (17)
11. Lee Jones (50) (24)
10. Finn Russell (60) (18)
9. Henry Pyrgos CO-CAPTAIN (120) (26)

1 Gordon Reid (110) (21)
2 Fraser Brown (60) (13)
3 Zander Fagerson (47) (12)
4 Brian Alainu’uese (12) (2)
5 Jonny Gray CO-CAPTAIN (69) (20)
6 Rob Harley (158) (32)
7 Ryan Wilson (125) (30)
8 Adam Ashe (35) (5)

Replacements:

16. Corey Flynn (15) (9)
17. Alex Allan (46) (13)
18. Sila Puafisi (39) (18)
19. Greg Peterson (19) (2)
20. Chris Fusaro (121) (26)
21. Ali Price (38) (9)
22. Nick Grigg (16) (3)
23. Rory Hughes (29) (2)

The reigning champs vs the upstarts from North of the border. No previous form for this, as they have not played each other in years and certainly not since they have both become good teams. Both sides used to playing on an artificial pitch and both have a lot of big game players.

Alledgedly 4000-5000 Glasgow fans coming down for this game. They will be very noisy and will drink a lot of beer!

Bring it on, it is going to be epic.

Last edited by BigGee on Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sarracens Vs Glasgow Warriors European Champions Cup 1/4 Final Empty Re: Sarracens Vs Glasgow Warriors European Champions Cup 1/4 Final

Post by BigGee Sun 26 Mar 2017, 10:30 am

Well the match we have all been looking forward to is almost upon us. Glasgow won against Connacht last night, despite resting a few players and subbing others very early on.

We have been good on the road in europe this year, beating Racing and Leicester away and unlike a lot of other teams who travel to Allianz park, we won't be bothered by the pitch.

Make no mistake though, this is a big step up for Glasgow against the reigning double champions. This is where we want to be though, so we might as well measure ourselves against the best.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sarracens Vs Glasgow Warriors European Champions Cup 1/4 Final Empty Re: Sarracens Vs Glasgow Warriors European Champions Cup 1/4 Final

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 26 Mar 2017, 11:37 am

Good luck Glasgow. It's certainly a game I'll look forward to. Like you said they're two teams with a few big-game players and yet two contrasting styles. No recent form adds to the excitement too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sun 26 Mar 2017, 12:31 pm

Glasgow will have rarely (if ever) played a team with the structure and mindset which is as pragmatic as Sarries. The contrast in styles makes this game fascinating, will Glasgow cope with the pressure they will be under? Will they change their style?

The second subplot is of course the potential Lions match ups - George v Brown, Itoje v Gray and Farrell v Russell. This is probably the last chance to make an impression, the Scottish contingent will be desperate to prove that the England game was a one-off.

For me, i'm pretty pessimistic about Glasgows chances, they certainly can win but they will need to play unbelievably well to beat the well oiled sarries machine.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 27 Mar 2017, 9:06 am

Very excited by this game, although it feels a bit like the build-up to England vs Scotland! In the end I think Sarries will grind Glasgow down and run away with it. I expect Sarries to build the score slowly and then to capitalise as Glasgow get desperate, and Swinson (potentially) and Strauss will be hugely missed. Still, Glasgow have the attitude and skill to cause problems and if Russell has a good day then I do think Sarries could struggle to suffocate the game as Russell has great ability to get the ball wide quickly.

My head will rule the heart on this occasion, and I think Sarries by 15 points.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 27 Mar 2017, 10:07 am

Looking forward to heading to this game, but very nervous that this match could be a bridge too far

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 27 Mar 2017, 10:29 am

Sarries looked in pretty devastating form at the weekend. Bath are a decent outfit and Sarries ripped them to shreds.

I really hope Glasgow can bring the sort of form that saw them Hammer the tigers at home because if they don't, a mullering could be on the cards.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Mar 2017, 10:30 am

Last time Saracens played Glasgow was when Saracens reached the semi finals - 2007/8. Did the double over Glasgow in the pool stages. Both very tight games - by 2 points and 4 points respectively.

Been a while.

EST Saracens might be pragmatic but they are a more exciting team than initially they were when Brendan Venter was in charge. One of the tries vs Bath in particular was a joy to watch - started by Goode and ended by him.

Hogg vs Goode is fascinating because you have one of the best attacking 15s in Europe vs one of the best playmaking 15s in club rugby.

If you look at where the Saracens attack was in previous years, it keeps evolving, of course having the likes of Vunipola bros,George and Itoje carrying the ball helps.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 27 Mar 2017, 10:52 am

Glasgow will need to be spot on with their execution as Sarries will not be as accommodating as my team were. If they can open a lead, then historically Saracens can struggle when they have to chase a game. Teams that beat the Barnet side usually have to do so by facing them down up front, as give them even a sniff physically and they are so good at soaking up pressure then striking quickly. Sarries scrum was a touch creaky yesterday, and their lineout was not at it's usual level. Glasgow should travel down south with hope - but fail to get close to their potential and it could be a painful trip.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 27 Mar 2017, 11:08 am

beshocked wrote:Last time Saracens played Glasgow was when Saracens reached the semi finals - 2007/8. Did the double over Glasgow in the pool stages. Both very tight games - by 2 points and 4 points respectively.

Been a while.

EST Saracens might be pragmatic but they are a more exciting team than initially they were when Brendan Venter was in charge. One of the tries vs Bath in particular was a joy to watch - started by Goode and ended by him.

Hogg vs Goode is fascinating because you have one of the best attacking 15s in Europe vs one of the best playmaking 15s in club rugby.

If you look at where the Saracens attack was in previous years, it keeps evolving, of course having the likes of Vunipola bros,George and Itoje carrying the ball helps.

Yeah, that wasn't meant as a slight on Sarries - they have developed a brilliant attacking game.  It was more a comment on how structured and precise they are in their kicking game, and in applying pressure generally.  There isn't really an equivalent in the Pro 12, although I suppose Munster are the closest. 

I really don't know how Glasgow are going to play this, I'm struggling to see anything other than a quite comfortable Sarries victory if i'm honest.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 27 Mar 2017, 11:15 am

I would agree that Munster are the closest in terms of style in Pro12 to Sarries. Glasgow struggled with Munster in teh pool games which does not set an optimistic precedent (though the Thomond fixture was a rather unique occasion)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Mar 2017, 11:26 am

EST you are right, Saracens are very structured but I think they mix up their game more than in the past.

Agree applying pressure is very much part of the style. The kick chase is generally good.

I think Bath's biggest failing was not stopping enough players getting over the gain line. Barritt is not famed as an attacker but he regularly made it over. Even with aspects of Saracens set piece and being turned over too much it was the go forward which Bath struggled with.

What Glasgow can potentially do that Bath didn't is better exploit turnovers. Turnovers are obviously a great opportunity to counterattack.

Saracens themselves generally like to use the counterattack as a weapon, especially poor kicks but Glasgow need to target somewhere - that means isolating the likes of Itoje and Billy.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 27 Mar 2017, 11:35 am

LondonTiger wrote:I would agree that Munster are the closest in terms of style in Pro12 to Sarries. Glasgow struggled with Munster in teh pool games which does not set an optimistic precedent (though the Thomond fixture was a rather unique occasion)

Everyone has struggled against Munster this season but if you do it well enough a team can carve them up in the backs. Is that the same for Sarries? As far as I know they don't concede that many tries.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 27 Mar 2017, 11:36 am

Glasgow clearly going into this match as massive underdogs, which will suit them just fine. They just need to play their natural game, fast tempo, offload and constantly changing the point of attack. When they do this well, as Racing and Leicester found out, they can be devastating.

There are not any teams that play like Glasgow in the AP, so Sarries might be a bit thrown by it as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Mar 2017, 11:44 am

Saracens have defensively been very strong this season - only conceding 19 tries in 18 games in the AP and a miserly 257 points.

Biggee surely the most similar is Wasps and with a full strength team,Saracens are more than a match for Wasps, sure Wasps smashed an understrength Saracens at Allianz Park last season but big difference between full strength and understrength.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 27 Mar 2017, 12:06 pm

beshocked wrote:Biggee surely the most similar is Wasps and with a full strength team, Saracens are more than a match for Wasps, sure Wasps smashed an understrength Saracens at Allianz Park last season but big difference between full strength and understrength.
That's a pretty fair comparison, but Wasps are also a bit... random in the way they play the game. What Champions Cup match was it (maybe rounds 5 or 6?) where Wasps seemed to be doing everything in their power to avoid scoring?

Glasgow certainly thrive in organised chaos, but the 'organised' portion can't be discounted: it's chaos within clearly defined conditions. Glasgow are probably the best set-piece attacking team in the Pro12, and possibly in Europe (I'm not the only person saying that, honest!), and their moves look random but are in fact the result of lots and lots of drills. A good example would be Glasgow's tries against Cardiff back in January - worth looking up on the YouTube.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 27 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

I think that Sarries strategy against Barrff (are they Edinburgh in disguise?) is pretty typical: aggressive defence, constant pressure and cobra-fast counter punching. Some teams, actually most, will try to counter that with a Gatlandball tyoe game; kick deep and try to put the pressure on them. With backs like, Maitland, Ashton, Lozowski and Goode this can be fairly suicidal.
Now, only a fool would try to predict the magic that is Toonie's Tombola so here goes;
we'll have a big front five Shrek-KEM-Ragnar, Naughty Boy and Jonny
hard abrasive back row Tackle Monster-Arthur Ashe-Batman
usual half backs Henners-Dancer
centres ah now you're asking, it's either a big defensive 12 and a fast attacking 13, or a more creative 12 looking to take the pressure off Dancer and keep the point of attack as fluid as possible.
So it's Dunbar-Grigg, lots of tackling and turnover potential at 12 and unbelievable attacking lines at 13 OR Horne-Dunbar, Horne is a better distributor than Dunbar and has a good kicking game.(If Sam Johnson is fit he may come into the reckoning at 12 as Toonie has selected him to start in every Euro tie so far). I think we'll see Horne-Dunbar with Grigg on the bench.

Back three Hogg, Seymour and someone else, whoever is fit, basically.

As I said only a fool would try to double guess the Toonster. But I think it'll be won or lost in the centres.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 27 Mar 2017, 1:10 pm

Disagree on the half backs Jim, Ali Price has to start, he had another cracking game on saturday and is now definitely the man with the shirt on his back.

If Favaro is fit, he may well start as well. He is not an impact player but likes to do his damage up front. I would imagine that Ashe will bench if that is the case and Wilson will start at No.8, then move later to cover favaro's slot once he has blown himself out.

Horne played well on saturday as well, as did Grigg, so I would not really like to choose. If pushed I would say Dunbar and Grigg to start and Horne to bench.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 27 Mar 2017, 1:13 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:I would agree that Munster are the closest in terms of style in Pro12 to Sarries. Glasgow struggled with Munster in teh pool games which does not set an optimistic precedent (though the Thomond fixture was a rather unique occasion)

Everyone has struggled against Munster this season but if you do it well enough a team can carve them up in the backs. Is that the same for Sarries? As far as I know they don't concede that many tries.

Just for the record Mikey, Munster have the best defence in both PRO12 and Champs Cup.

Pro 12:  Munster TF: 61, TA: 27.   Glasgow: TF: 59, TA: 44

Champs Cup: Munster: TF: 18, TA: 4.  Glasgow: TF: 18    TA: 10..  Saracens: TR 20, TA: 6.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Mar 2017, 1:51 pm

jimbopip Bath might well be Edinburgh in disguise but they had numerous internationals like Louw,Faletau,Charteris,Ford,Joseph and Watson. On paper should have been much more competitive!

I thought some of Bath's tactical kicking was good and they did make some good gains but it's just Saracens punished the mistakes Bath did make ruthlessly. Especially in that 2nd half.

It was a relentless 80 minute performance. Reminded me a bit of the England-Scotland game actually.

Sin e Munster have still conceded more tries than Saracens over both their competitions.

Ianbru do you mean best set piece attacking team in the sense of using the set piece as a weapon (winning more penalties and lineout steals) or quick recycling or lineout drives to score tries?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 27 Mar 2017, 1:58 pm

beshocked wrote:
Sin e Munster have still conceded more tries than Saracens over both their competitions.

Bully for Sarries!

My point to Mickey was that Munster isn't the soft touch in defence which he was suggesting.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Mar 2017, 2:11 pm

Sin e fair enough. I certainly don't think Munster are a soft touch in defence either.

Munster are probably one of the favourites for the Champions Cup.

One thing we haven't talked about is that Saracens are much more experienced in knock out rugby.

They had to work their way up in Europe. Some tough defeats, especially by Clermont.

Of the 8 teams left in the competition, Glasgow are the least experienced by some distance too.

Now perhaps we'll find this doesn't matter. We'll see.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 27 Mar 2017, 2:36 pm

BigGee wrote:Disagree on the half backs Jim, Ali Price has to start, he had another cracking game on saturday and is now definitely the man with the shirt on his back.

If Favaro is fit, he may well start as well. He is not an impact player but likes to do his damage up front. I would imagine that Ashe will bench if that is the case and Wilson will start at No.8, then move later to cover favaro's slot once he has blown himself out.

Horne played well on saturday as well, as did Grigg, so I would not really like to choose. If pushed I would say Dunbar and Grigg to start and Horne to bench.

Gee, The Legend That Is Simone was saying post match on Saturday that he won't be fit Doh

Price/Henners is a difficult one; I agree that Price is on fire, I just think Toonie will syart with an experienced head and look to bring Price to inject pace if we need it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 27 Mar 2017, 3:12 pm

beshocked wrote:Ianbru do you mean best set piece attacking team in the sense of using the set piece as a weapon (winning more penalties and lineout steals) or quick recycling or lineout drives to score tries?
Sorry, should have been clearer - I mean pre-rehearsed attacking moves from lineouts, scrums, etc. Some of the set-plays are delightful in their intricacy and timing. Sometimes this means lineout drives or trick plays - see the Wilson lineout take in the lead up to Glasgow's 5th against Leicester at WR.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Mar 2017, 3:34 pm

IanBru wrote:
beshocked wrote:Ianbru do you mean best set piece attacking team in the sense of using the set piece as a weapon (winning more penalties and lineout steals) or quick recycling or lineout drives to score tries?
Sorry, should have been clearer - I mean pre-rehearsed attacking moves from lineouts, scrums, etc. Some of the set-plays are delightful in their intricacy and timing. Sometimes this means lineout drives or trick plays - see the Wilson lineout take in the lead up to Glasgow's 5th against Leicester at WR.

Good, I do think Glasgow will need their full box of tricks.

I do like seeing creative moves. Will Dunbar be your primary lineout jumper again? OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 27 Mar 2017, 3:35 pm

Sin é wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Just for the record Mikey, Munster have the best defence in both PRO12 and Champs Cup.

Pro 12:  Munster TF: 61, TA: 27.   Glasgow: TF: 59, TA: 44

Champs Cup: Munster: TF: 18, TA: 4.  Glasgow: TF: 18    TA: 10..  Saracens: TR 20, TA: 6.

Good one Sin Wink. My point was that Munster have on occasion been vulnerable to a team that attacks with a very high tempo. The match against Ospreys springs to mind, but that's not to say Munster are poor, just that they can be breached if you try hard enough (like Sarries vs Quins/Wasps). I'm not sure if it's been the case in most games for Munster this season. You would know that as you watch them more often, and the stats are favourable for Munster in that regard.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Mar 2017, 3:44 pm

Mikey Dragon not sure either Wasps/Quins are a good blueprint to beating Saracens.

Quins have regularly been beaten by Saracens in recent seasons, sure they've had 2 home wins but that's more the exception than the rule. Same with Wasps.

Saints and Exeter are the teams to cause Saracens the most problems in recent seasons and that's because they've had the physicality to take on Saracens up front. Londontiger said it earlier - you have to take the fight to Sarries physically. Even then Saracens have seemingly adapted to Exeter and only failed to beat them at Allianz Park because they got a man red carded in the 20th minute (still drew).

In Europe it's no coincidence two of the most physical sides Clermont and Toulon have had the most success vs Sarries.

Perhaps I'll be wrong. Maybe Glasgow can win through guile alone but I think parity will be needed in the pack.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 27 Mar 2017, 4:04 pm

At the weekend Bath were disjointed and Sarries destroyed them. You have to play as a cohesive unit against the Barnet Beast because that's where they are incredible. If you give Sarries a lead you are in serious trouble, they can soak up pressure and keep the scoreboard ticking over all day and when you tire they are clinical at inflicting damage when you make an error.

Glasgow are pretty clinical at pouncing on errors as well and their maverick attacking style will be an unusual test for a defence that is so strong it's an attacking weapon.

Looking forward to this game.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 27 Mar 2017, 4:14 pm

I'm not even a Glasgow fan and this game for me is the most anticpated game in the Scottish club calendar. It is the immovable object against the unstoppable force(hyperbole).

I am really looking forward to it and I personally think the Sarries will win on the back of a much more streetwise pack, but that Glasgow backline will really make the Sarries defence work.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 29 Mar 2017, 11:47 am

when teams announced

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 11:59 am

Announced late in the hour the teams will be,
since on a Sunday they'll take to a field of 4G.
Farrell will kick with his neck at an angle,
backs underfoot a carrying Billy V will mangle.
A game of contrasts awaits in four days,
concussion reducing player's memories to haze.
A tense wait for the fans of the teams,
the nonsense of pundits, posters and hasbeens.
The match will be wild, and the tackles will be hard,
but all this day I'm and aspiring bard.
Eagerly I await this game,
I'll be watching from the couch at hame.
Hoping my daughter will be quiet and nice,
to watch the game in peace, what a price?
The game will be close, and hard to call,
oh for my love of the game with an oval ball.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 29 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm

Radge, Laugh clap Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 29 Mar 2017, 1:44 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Announced late in the hour the teams will be,
since on a Sunday they'll take to a field of 4G.
Farrell will kick with his neck at an angle,
backs underfoot a carrying Billy V will mangle.
A game of contrasts awaits in four days,
concussion reducing player's memories to haze.
A tense wait for the fans of the teams,
the nonsense of pundits, posters and hasbeens.
The match will be wild, and the tackles will be hard,
but all this day I'm and aspiring bard.
Eagerly I await this game,
I'll be watching from the couch at hame.
Hoping my daughter will be quiet and nice,
to watch the game in peace, what a price?
The game will be close, and hard to call,
oh for my love of the game with an oval ball.

Quiet day at work then?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 29 Mar 2017, 3:47 pm

This is great - now I can get personal poems just by asking some questions to RR

So RuggerRadge How do I impress my lady

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 4:05 pm

R!skysports wrote:

This is great - now I can get personal poems just by asking some questions to RR

To impress your lady I cannot say,
I will try here, be that as it may.
To impress a lady a bribe is best paid,
if you seek to get yourself laid.
Bribe her with silver, or diamonds or gold,
and you increase your chances of having her to hold.
Avoid insults like "you ugly cow",
and her field will surely be yours to plow.
If you are lucky and have tamed your beast,
perhaps keep her settled by cooking a feast.
Run her a bath, and brush her hair,
anything to get a fondle of her lovely pair.
Alas romantic poetry is not my strength,
hence I'll keep this one short in length.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 29 Mar 2017, 4:09 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
R!skysports wrote:

To impress your lady I cannot say,
I will try here, be that as it may.
To impress a lady a bribe is best paid,
if you seek to get yourself laid.
Bribe her with silver, or diamonds or gold,
and you increase your chances of having her to hold.
Avoid insults like "you ugly cow",
and her field will surely be yours to plow.
If you are lucky and have tamed your beast,
perhaps keep her settled by cooking a feast.
Run her a bath, and brush her hair,
anything to get a fondle of her lovely pair.
Alas romantic poetry is not my strength,
hence I'll keep this one short in length.

Aye, that's what she said. Whistle

On a serious note; your poems have shown a remarkable improvement since our earlier tutorial. Well done, Radge. My bill will be in the post. Non payment shall be passed to the good offices of Bru, Bru & Barney McGru.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 30 Mar 2017, 12:14 pm

OK folks, it's getting close to crunch time. How do we see this one going?

Preferred lineup for me:
1. Shrek Reid
2. Frown
3. Ragnar Fagerson
4. Big Jonny
5. Naughty Brian
6. Bob Harley
7. Batman Wilson
8. Ashe

9. Aldi Price
10. Dancer Russell
11. Lamont
12. Grigg
13. Dunbar
14. Seymour
15. The Double Award Winner

16. Allan
17. Flynn
18. Puafisi
19. Cummings
20. Fusaro
21. Pythagoras
22. Horne
23. Hughes
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 30 Mar 2017, 12:20 pm

Think it will be a high scoring game with it being close at half time but Saracens pulling away in the last 20.

Sarries 37-22 Glasgow

Ashton,Maitland,Hogg,George,Seymour and Billy.V being among the try scorers.

Saracens scoring 3-4 tries to Glasgow's 2-3. Farrell getting a few pens and conversions.

That's my prediction - could well be wrong.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 30 Mar 2017, 12:30 pm

IanBru wrote:OK folks, it's getting close to crunch time. How do we see this one going?

Preferred lineup for me:
1. Shrek Reid
2. Frown
3. Ragnar Fagerson
4. Big Jonny
5. Naughty Brian
6. Bob Harley
7. Batman Wilson
8. Ashe

9. Aldi Price clap Laugh Laugh
10. Dancer Russell
11. Lamont
12. Grigg
13. Dunbar
14. Seymour
15. The Double Award Winner

16. Allan
17. Flynn
18. Puafisi
19. Cummings
20. Fusaro
21. Pythagoras
22. Horne
23. Hughes

Two things here: firstly I agree with your team except I would start Furra Linee at 12 with Grigg benching, and secondly, I love the halfway house between "standard English" Warriors' fan's slang. It's like subtitles for the hard of thinking.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:07 pm

Glasgow team up:
(Figures are for Glasgow appearances and European appearances)

15. Stuart Hogg (97) (30)
14. Tommy Seymour (97) (25)
13. Alex Dunbar (95) (23)
12. Peter Horne (110) (17)
11. Lee Jones (50) (24)
10. Finn Russell (60) (18)
9. Henry Pyrgos CO-CAPTAIN (120) (26)

1 Gordon Reid (110) (21)
2 Fraser Brown (60) (13)
3 Zander Fagerson (47) (12)
4 Brian Alainu’uese (12) (2)
5 Jonny Gray CO-CAPTAIN (69) (20)
6 Rob Harley (158) (32)
7 Ryan Wilson (125) (30)
8 Adam Ashe (35) (5)

Replacements:

16. Corey Flynn (15) (9)
17. Alex Allan (46) (13)
18. Sila Puafisi (39) (18)
19. Greg Peterson (19) (2)
20. Chris Fusaro (121) (26)
21. Ali Price (38) (9)
22. Nick Grigg (16) (3)
23. Rory Hughes (29) (2)
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:19 pm

And then the Saracens follow:

15 Alex Goode (223)
14 Chris Ashton (111)
13 Marcelo Bosch (91)
12 Brad Barritt (c) (191)
11 Sean Maitland (16)
10 Owen Farrell (146)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (180)

1 Mako Vunipola (114)
2 Jamie George (166)
3 Juan Figallo (57)
4 Maro Itoje (69)
5 Jim Hamilton (69)
6 Michael Rhodes (51)
7 Jackson Wray (166)
8 Billy Vunipola (71)

Replacements

16 Schalk Brits (194)
17 Titi Lamositele (38)
18 Vincent Koch (8)
19 Kelly Brown (152)
20 Joel Conlon (10)
21 Ben Spencer (95)
22 Alex Lozowski (24)
23 Duncan Taylor (97)
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm

Pretty much the strongest side available.
If we get a positive start , like Welford Road, and impose our game then it could be a good day. If we let them build up a lead early on then we die by inches.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:22 pm

Jim, I have the tickets. Well, Sophia does, which is probably better.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:22 pm

No massive surprises for either team really.

For Glasgow, Henry P starting over Ali Price, but that could just as easily be a tactical choice.

4 Scots in the Sarries squad as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:31 pm

Glasgow by 4.

Smile

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:32 pm

Ah yes... the mysterious 'Kelly Brown Project', known in official circles at Bute House as 'Operation Greenyards', has finally come to fruition. Hopefully we won't need to activate Agent Hagrid and Agent No Maits.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:46 pm

I think Henners starts because Aldi can inject pace and amphetamines energy into the last quarter, whereas Mr Piecrust brings a cool head if a game needs to be closed out.
Headscratch Does this mean Toonie reckons we'll probably be chasing the game after an hour?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:51 pm

I think it's more a reflection of the need to maintain our structure - Sarries will try to close down the gaps and rush up in defence, so it's better to have a sturdy player controlling matters from 9. Plus Piecrust can dink the ball behind an onrushing defence.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 31 Mar 2017, 12:55 pm

It's an ominous looking Sarries team, that. I think only Gray would get into their staring pack, although it doesn't look like they have any second row cover, I assume Rhodes would move there in case of an injury?

Glasgow bench lacks firepower, the thought of Fusaro going up against Billy V doesn't fill me with much confidence. In the backs, things are quite a bit more equal, and they can definitely frighten Sarries if they get enough ball.

I can't see anything other than a Sarries win, by 9-15 ish.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 31 Mar 2017, 1:27 pm

IanBru wrote:Jim, I have the tickets. Well, Sophia does, which is probably better.

Ah yes, give the responsibility to a grown up. thumbsup

Check Facebook for messages when you have a minute away from bringing Cecil B De Mille production values to these boards.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next