NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 1:53 pm

NZ are aiming to organise themselves a warm up match ahead of the 1st Lions test, in an effort to avoid being caught out by the AB's now-traditional slow start to the international season.

One plan being mooted is a test vs Samoa - ideally setting up a double header, probably at Albany Stadium on Auckland's North Shore with Tonga vs Wales as the curtain raiser. It'd be a nice wee bonus for any travelling fans not able to get to the Maori vs Lions match in Rotorua


http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11829670
avatar
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Posts : 10656
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : London, England

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 4:20 pm

Or maybe they should travel to Samoa to play it.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 5:38 pm

Good idea, then Wales and Tonga could be the curtain raiser to the Takapuna v Northcote game. both clubs have a number of players of Tongan heritage.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

Terrible shame that after all the hype, Wales will play Tonga in NZ which rather embellishes what many people believe; that PI rugby and its player base is so denuded by lack of funding and the professional game in New Zealand, that there is insufficient infrastructure in Tonga -one of the great springs of rugby talent - to host a one off game which was supposed to highlight PI rugby.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Taylorman on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 9:27 pm

Gwlad wrote:Terrible shame that after all the hype, Wales will play Tonga in NZ which rather embellishes what many people believe; that PI rugby and its player base is so denuded by lack of funding and the professional game in New Zealand, that there is insufficient infrastructure in Tonga -one of the great springs of rugby talent - to host a one off game which was supposed to highlight PI rugby.

Tonga has a population of 100k. What sort of infrastructure are you looking for from that? The so called 'spring' you speak of does not exist in Tonga.

They don't say do your homework to children for nothing you know. Hug

Taylorman

Posts : 8835
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 9:36 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Terrible shame that after all the hype, Wales will play Tonga in NZ which rather embellishes what many people believe; that PI rugby and its player base is so denuded by lack of funding and the professional game in New Zealand, that there is insufficient infrastructure in Tonga -one of the great springs of rugby talent - to host a one off game which was supposed to highlight PI rugby.

Tonga has a population of 100k. What sort of infrastructure are you looking for from that? The so called 'spring' you speak of does not exist in Tonga.

They don't say do your homework to children for nothing you know. Hug

Thanks for making my point. There is no hope for Tonga despite rugby being its national sport played by a huge percentage elf the population because the only way that a tongan can make it pay is to go to NZ where the NZRFU does everything it can to foster player development instead of assiting its neighbor with development. Just easier to suck it dry right as per your explanation above. Shameful.

I just hope you aren't teaching children anything if that is your attitude.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Taylorman on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 10:32 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Terrible shame that after all the hype, Wales will play Tonga in NZ which rather embellishes what many people believe; that PI rugby and its player base is so denuded by lack of funding and the professional game in New Zealand, that there is insufficient infrastructure in Tonga -one of the great springs of rugby talent - to host a one off game which was supposed to highlight PI rugby.

Tonga has a population of 100k. What sort of infrastructure are you looking for from that? The so called 'spring' you speak of does not exist in Tonga.

They don't say do your homework to children for nothing you know. Hug

Thanks for making my point. There is no hope for Tonga despite rugby being its national sport played by a huge percentage elf the population because the only way that a tongan can make it pay is to go to NZ where the NZRFU does everything it can to foster player development instead of assiting its neighbor with development. Just easier to suck it dry right as per your explanation above. Shameful.

I just hope you aren't teaching children anything if that is your attitude.

Oh I see, you're interest is in the hearts and minds of the Tongan people?

Interesting, for I thought it was more about slag!ng off NZ rugby. Pretty sure we've done more for the Tongan community, including its rugby than Wales have, yet here you are, upholding their rights. How quaint. And how ironic in a Lions year.

How about you pop out there and do a better job on their 'infrastructure' if you're that empathetic.

Go on, talk is cheap. I'll tell them to expect you.

Taylorman

Posts : 8835
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 2:04 am

Has NZ ever played a game in any Pacific Island?

I'm interested in the development of Tonga's national sport, which many Welshmen are and is why we are touring the PI, something NZ have never done.

But NZ have benefitted from the influx of Tongan players directly while I dont see any evidence it has invested in developing Tongan rugby?

I guess NZ likes it that way though so they can remain the big fish while Tonga's equally talented neighbors scrabble around.

For you to suggest that their size means they don't deserve support or development from such a rich nation as yours (10 x the GDP of Tonga) and that there is no spring there, is frankly disgustingly colonial but, as i say, i expect little more from NZ fans.


Last edited by Gwlad on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 4:06 am

Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played a game in any Pacific Island?

I'm interested in the development of Tonga's national sport, which many Welshmen are and is why we are touring the PI, something NZ have never done.

But NZ have benefitted from the influx of Tongan players directly while I dont see any evidence it has invested in developing Tongan rugby?

I guess NZ likes it that way though so they can remain the big fish while they're equally talented neighbors scrabble around.

For you to suggest that their size means they don't deserve support or development from such a rich nation as yours (10 x the GDP of Tonga) and that there is no spring there, is frankly disgustingly colonial but, as i say, i expect little more from NZ fans.

 Many times usually in the North or South islands.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 4:39 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played a game in any Pacific Island?

I'm interested in the development of Tonga's national sport, which many Welshmen are and is why we are touring the PI, something NZ have never done.

But NZ have benefitted from the influx of Tongan players directly while I dont see any evidence it has invested in developing Tongan rugby?

I guess NZ likes it that way though so they can remain the big fish while they're equally talented neighbors scrabble around.

For you to suggest that their size means they don't deserve support or development from such a rich nation as yours (10 x the GDP of Tonga) and that there is no spring there, is frankly disgustingly colonial but, as i say, i expect little more from NZ fans.

 Many times usually in the North or South islands.

Yawn

Obfuscation won't deflect from the facts

Has NZ ever played in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa….you know, the other Pacific Islands , your neighbors?

Pretty cynical they all of a sudden want to play them now Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by ebop on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 6:24 am

Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa….you know, the other Pacific Islands , your neighbors?
The All Blacks played Samoa in Apia in 2015 you ignoramus. Your argument is so pisss poor given the amount of players and coaches NZ have provided the islands over the years it's not even worth entering into a debate about it to be fair.
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3525
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 7:43 am

ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa….you know, the other Pacific Islands , your neighbors?
The All Blacks played Samoa in Apia in 2015 you ignoramus. Your argument is so pisss poor given the amount of players and coaches NZ have provided the islands over the years it's not even worth entering into a debate about it to be fair.

Is that it? One game? Shocked Shocked

Just terrible.

They only played that one to offset the upset caused by announcing they were going to play in the USA. More cynicism from the NZRFU. Rolling Eyes


Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by ebop on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 7:44 am

Lol

Keep digging your hole to no where

We just laugh at people like you
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3525
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 7:55 am

ebop wrote:Lol

Keep digging your hole to no where

We just laugh at people like you

What a pathetic reply.

Laugh at me? Is that it?

Laugh it up, as you do to Tongan rugby no doubt. We know the attitude shared by your brethren that there is no real point investing in Tonga, not enough people etc etc.

You can't dispute the facts, NZ played 1 game in Apia pre RWC to alleviate the upset after they announced they were going to play in the USA. Can't imagine $ why $ they'd choose $ USA $ over $ Apia $ can you ?

Purely cynical move from a hugely wealthy and influential Union who have done nothing to develop rugby in Tonga/Samoa/Fiji.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by ebop on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 8:03 am

Haha, still laughing, you ignoramus
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3525
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 9:00 am

How often does Wales go and play Georgia in Georgia? and they are two evenly matched teams.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 7:31 pm

ebop wrote:Haha, still laughing, you ignoramus

well you clearly have no argument so inane laughter on a semi permanent basis will have to do. Yahoo


Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Taylorman on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 2:29 am

Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:Lol

Keep digging your hole to no where

We just laugh at people like you

What a pathetic reply.

Laugh at me? Is that it?

Laugh it up, as you do to Tongan rugby no doubt. We know the attitude shared by your brethren that there is no real point investing in Tonga, not enough people etc etc.

You can't dispute the facts, NZ played 1 game in Apia pre RWC to alleviate the upset after they announced they were going to play in the USA. Can't imagine $ why $ they'd choose $ USA $ over $ Apia $ can you ?

Purely cynical move from a hugely wealthy and influential Union who have done nothing to develop rugby in Tonga/Samoa/Fiji.

1950s Gwlad.

That's all you need to know.
That's the last time Wales beat the All Blacks.

Now, do you know anyone alive that was there?

But I do understand your obsession with NZ.

It must be so depressing. Id share your pain but alas, Even I can't think of anything worse.

So you keep discussing the Islands like anyone actually cares. Hug

Taylorman

Posts : 8835
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Taylorman on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 2:31 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:How often does Wales go and play Georgia in Georgia? and they are two evenly matched teams.

They were on their way but saw an old tank in the ditch then turned back... Very Happy

Taylorman

Posts : 8835
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 6:58 am

Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:Lol

Keep digging your hole to no where

We just laugh at people like you

What a pathetic reply.

Laugh at me? Is that it?

Laugh it up, as you do to Tongan rugby no doubt. We know the attitude shared by your brethren that there is no real point investing in Tonga, not enough people etc etc.

You can't dispute the facts, NZ played 1 game in Apia pre RWC to alleviate the upset after they announced they were going to play in the USA. Can't imagine $ why $ they'd choose $ USA $ over $ Apia $ can you ?

Purely cynical move from a hugely wealthy and influential Union who have done nothing to develop rugby in Tonga/Samoa/Fiji.

1950s Gwlad.

That's all you need to know.
That's the last time Wales beat the All Blacks.

Now, do you know anyone alive that was there?  

But I do understand your obsession with NZ.

It must be so depressing. Id share your pain but alas, Even I can't think of anything worse.

So you keep discussing the Islands like anyone actually cares. Hug

IYou seem to care thats why you've deflected from the issue at hand - NZ exploitation of the Pacific islanders - to make this about Wales

Another pathetic move on your part but , again, i expect no less from you lot.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by ebop on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 7:44 am

There are 100s of Pacific Islanders propping up your bland European club competitions. Not only that, they're being paid to sell out their nationality and play for some strange country half a world away. So Gwlad, what are you guys doing to help Pacific Island rugby as a bit of pay back? Sweet fff all that's what. It's all one way traffic. Wales said they'd play Tonga in Tonga but chickened out after reviewing the status of the ground. Why not send over a groundsman to assist with bringing the ground up to standard like NZR did with the ABs game in Apia? Too hard and too expensive that's why. Couldn't be arsssed that's why. Looking after No 1 that's why. Wouldn't expect someone who called a guy Toby because he couldn't say his name properly to understand how much NZ assists the islands.
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3525
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Taylorman on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 7:58 am

Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:Lol

Keep digging your hole to no where

We just laugh at people like you

What a pathetic reply.

Laugh at me? Is that it?

Laugh it up, as you do to Tongan rugby no doubt. We know the attitude shared by your brethren that there is no real point investing in Tonga, not enough people etc etc.

You can't dispute the facts, NZ played 1 game in Apia pre RWC to alleviate the upset after they announced they were going to play in the USA. Can't imagine $ why $ they'd choose $ USA $ over $ Apia $ can you ?

Purely cynical move from a hugely wealthy and influential Union who have done nothing to develop rugby in Tonga/Samoa/Fiji.

1950s Gwlad.

That's all you need to know.
That's the last time Wales beat the All Blacks.

Now, do you know anyone alive that was there?  

But I do understand your obsession with NZ.

It must be so depressing. Id share your pain but alas, Even I can't think of anything worse.

So you keep discussing the Islands like anyone actually cares. Hug

IYou seem to care thats why you've deflected from the issue at hand - NZ exploitation of the Pacific islanders - to make this about Wales

Another pathetic move on your part but , again, i expect no less from you lot.

Yeah but it's more fun than your sad little vendetta. 'The' issue? Uh uh. Your issue. No one else's.
Don't worry, you'll have plenty to worry about when the Lions get here. Gatlands little merry band of men will wish they went to Tonga instead. Perhaps you could go there and support them given you're so interested in that beautiful little kingdom? king

Taylorman

Posts : 8835
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Taylorman on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:45 am

Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa….you know, the other Pacific Islands , your neighbors?
The All Blacks played Samoa in Apia in 2015 you ignoramus. Your argument is so pisss poor given the amount of players and coaches NZ have provided the islands over the years it's not even worth entering into a debate about it to be fair.

Is that it? One game? Shocked Shocked

Just terrible.

They only played that one to offset the upset caused by announcing they were going to play in the USA. More cynicism from the NZRFU. Rolling Eyes


What about Spain, Portugal, Germany Gwlad? They're all much closer to Wales than any of the islands are to NZ, and they all play rugby, and are ranked lower than Tonga, Samoa. Whats Wales doing about helping those countries, I mean given you're so keen that thriving unions should assist weaker ones.

When was the last Wales tour of those countries?

Taylorman

Posts : 8835
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 6:05 am

Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa….you know, the other Pacific Islands , your neighbors?
The All Blacks played Samoa in Apia in 2015 you ignoramus. Your argument is so pisss poor given the amount of players and coaches NZ have provided the islands over the years it's not even worth entering into a debate about it to be fair.

Is that it? One game? Shocked Shocked

Just terrible.

They only played that one to offset the upset caused by announcing they were going to play in the USA. More cynicism from the NZRFU. Rolling Eyes


What about Spain, Portugal, Germany Gwlad? They're all much closer to Wales than any of the islands are to NZ, and they all play rugby, and are ranked lower than Tonga, Samoa. Whats Wales doing about helping those countries, I mean given you're so keen that thriving unions should assist weaker ones.

When was the last Wales tour of those countries?

Oh i see you've done a 180…you're now saying Unions should do something to help less fortunate Unions. Glad you get it at last.Rolling Eyes

Fact is though i dont see how Wales have thrived from players they've shipped in from Spain or Portugal so your argument doesn't hold water. The backbone of our rugby history isn't built on imports.

Wales have imported some players, largely they're crap though e.g. NZ's Anscombe.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 6:33 am

If crap New Zealand players can represent Wales then it doesnt say much for the Welsh players or their unions rugby education and development schemes.

 At no stage did Taylorman allege that that Wales "shipped in ' players from Spain or Portugal or that welsh Rugby was built on a history of imports even though I would risk going on record that a lot more Kiwis have played and coached in Wales than the other way round.

 New Zealand does Rugby completely different to how its done in wales. but its a free World, you have your ways and we'll have ours.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by ebop on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 8:03 am

Wouldn't mind watching Wales play Georgia. You'd think it'd be a pretty close game giving the rankings and the fact an under strength Chiefs can beat Wales by a pretty big margin.
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3525
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Taylorman on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 8:41 am

Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa….you know, the other Pacific Islands , your neighbors?
The All Blacks played Samoa in Apia in 2015 you ignoramus. Your argument is so pisss poor given the amount of players and coaches NZ have provided the islands over the years it's not even worth entering into a debate about it to be fair.

Is that it? One game? Shocked Shocked

Just terrible.

They only played that one to offset the upset caused by announcing they were going to play in the USA. More cynicism from the NZRFU. Rolling Eyes


What about Spain, Portugal, Germany Gwlad? They're all much closer to Wales than any of the islands are to NZ, and they all play rugby, and are ranked lower than Tonga, Samoa. Whats Wales doing about helping those countries, I mean given you're so keen that thriving unions should assist weaker ones.

When was the last Wales tour of those countries?

Oh i see you've done a 180…you're now saying Unions should do something to help less fortunate Unions. Glad you get it at last.Rolling Eyes

Fact is though i dont see how Wales have thrived from players they've shipped in from Spain or Portugal so your argument doesn't hold water. The backbone of our rugby history isn't built on imports.

Wales have imported some players, largely they're crap though e.g. NZ's Anscombe.

What backbone?

And exactly which imports are ours supposedly built off? List em. List the multitude of players that came to NZ from the Islands as fully fledged professional players. In fact, list one.

Taylorman

Posts : 8835
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 7:26 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa….you know, the other Pacific Islands , your neighbors?
The All Blacks played Samoa in Apia in 2015 you ignoramus. Your argument is so pisss poor given the amount of players and coaches NZ have provided the islands over the years it's not even worth entering into a debate about it to be fair.

Is that it? One game? Shocked Shocked

Just terrible.

They only played that one to offset the upset caused by announcing they were going to play in the USA. More cynicism from the NZRFU. Rolling Eyes


What about Spain, Portugal, Germany Gwlad? They're all much closer to Wales than any of the islands are to NZ, and they all play rugby, and are ranked lower than Tonga, Samoa. Whats Wales doing about helping those countries, I mean given you're so keen that thriving unions should assist weaker ones.

When was the last Wales tour of those countries?

Oh i see you've done a 180…you're now saying Unions should do something to help less fortunate Unions. Glad you get it at last.Rolling Eyes

Fact is though i dont see how Wales have thrived from players they've shipped in from Spain or Portugal so your argument doesn't hold water. The backbone of our rugby history isn't built on imports.

Wales have imported some players, largely they're crap though e.g. NZ's Anscombe.

What backbone?

And exactly which imports are ours supposedly built off? List em. List the multitude of players that came to NZ from the Islands as fully fledged professional players. In fact, list one.

And THATS how you get them!! The NZ schools bring them in and then they go through the system. Sivivatu and Fekitoa for example. These poached kids have to go to NZ to play pro rugby, job done thanks very much. Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 7:41 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Has NZ ever played in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa….you know, the other Pacific Islands , your neighbors?
The All Blacks played Samoa in Apia in 2015 you ignoramus. Your argument is so pisss poor given the amount of players and coaches NZ have provided the islands over the years it's not even worth entering into a debate about it to be fair.

Is that it? One game? Shocked Shocked

Just terrible.

They only played that one to offset the upset caused by announcing they were going to play in the USA. More cynicism from the NZRFU. Rolling Eyes


What about Spain, Portugal, Germany Gwlad? They're all much closer to Wales than any of the islands are to NZ, and they all play rugby, and are ranked lower than Tonga, Samoa. Whats Wales doing about helping those countries, I mean given you're so keen that thriving unions should assist weaker ones.

When was the last Wales tour of those countries?

Oh i see you've done a 180…you're now saying Unions should do something to help less fortunate Unions. Glad you get it at last.Rolling Eyes

Fact is though i dont see how Wales have thrived from players they've shipped in from Spain or Portugal so your argument doesn't hold water. The backbone of our rugby history isn't built on imports.

Wales have imported some players, largely they're crap though e.g. NZ's Anscombe.

What backbone?

And exactly which imports are ours supposedly built off? List em. List the multitude of players that came to NZ from the Islands as fully fledged professional players. In fact, list one.

And THATS how you get them!! The NZ schools bring them in and then they go through the system. Sivivatu and Fekitoa for example. These poached kids have to go to NZ to play pro rugby, job done thanks very much. Rolling Eyes

 No New Zealand school brought Fekitoa "in". but dont let the truth interfere with your story.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

Oh, Wesley College must be lying then.


Last edited by Gwlad on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 8:50 pm

Gwlad wrote:Oh, Wesley College must be lying then

 Ever thought that maybe you're source isnt very good?

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 8:52 pm

The source being Fekitoa himself.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 11994
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 8:52 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Oh, Wesley College must be lying then

 Ever thought that maybe you're source isnt very good?

NZ's education system being super generous to Pacific Islander boys who just happen to be great rugby players, how very philanthropic of them.  thumbsup

I wonder how many guys they bring over who aren't potential rugby stars?

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 8:53 pm

Ah i see the Trump tactic

Fake news eh? laughing

Did or did not Fekitoa and Sivivatu go to Wesley.

Did or did not both players arrive in this world somewhere outside NZ?

Yes or No?

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 9:01 pm

Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Oh, Wesley College must be lying then

 Ever thought that maybe you're source isnt very good?

NZ's education system being super generous to Pacific Islander boys who just happen to be great rugby players, how very philanthropic of them.  thumbsup

I wonder how many guys they bring over who aren't potential rugby stars?

 At a guess I would say the number could be in the thousands.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 9:21 pm

Gwlad wrote:Ah i see the Trump tactic

Fake news eh?  laughing

Did or did not Fekitoa and Sivivatu go to Wesley.

Did or did not both players arrive in this world somewhere outside NZ?

Yes or No?

 I personally dont know the chain of events leading up to Sivivatu going to Wesley.

 Yes Fekitoa went to Wesley, he was already in New Zealand when he sought entry to Wesley and it was at that point he was offered the scholarship.

 I know personally of a number of Polynesian rugby teenagers that were offered secondary school scholarships here in Auckland and they have gone on to perform at international level representing Samoa, Tonga especially.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 9:23 pm

Go to their rugby page

Apparently it's 'Under Construction'….but it boasts proudly that it has produced more recent ABs than any other school.

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by ebop on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 9:28 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Oh, Wesley College must be lying then

 Ever thought that maybe you're source isnt very good?

NZ's education system being super generous to Pacific Islander boys who just happen to be great rugby players, how very philanthropic of them.  thumbsup

I wonder how many guys they bring over who aren't potential rugby stars?

 At a guess I would say the number could be in the thousands.
Exactly

Gwlad is such an ignoramus and he doesn't even realise

laughing
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3525
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 9:32 pm

Gwlad wrote:Go to their rugby page

Apparently it's 'Under Construction'….but it boasts proudly that it has produced more recent ABs than any other school.

 Even Jonah and Beaver went to Wesley.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 9:35 pm

Fekitoa was on holiday in New Zealand when he sought entry to Wesley, i'm not sure why you're all so defensive on this subject.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 11994
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 9:59 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Fekitoa was on holiday in New Zealand when he sought entry to Wesley, i'm not sure why you're all so defensive on this subject.

 What gets me cranky is the assertion that New Zealand is engaged in some recruitment drive to pluck kids out of the rest of the Pacific with the objective of turning them into All Blacks, which just isnt true.

 Many kids get scholarships here in New Zealand not just because they show strong sporting ability (and thats not just rugby) but its often to nurture young people in things like Arts, Drama, music even academics, often also for spiritual reasons and this is more the case with some of the Catholic and other religious schools.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 10:19 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Fekitoa was on holiday in New Zealand when he sought entry to Wesley, i'm not sure why you're all so defensive on this subject.

 What gets me cranky is the assertion that New Zealand is engaged in some recruitment drive to pluck kids out of the rest of the Pacific with the objective of turning them into All Blacks, which just isnt true.

 Many kids get scholarships here in New Zealand not just because they show strong sporting ability (and thats not just rugby) but its often to nurture young people in things like Arts, Drama, music even academics, often also for spiritual reasons and this is more the case with some of the Catholic and other religious schools.

Laugh Laugh clap

Tamanivalu was properly nurtured after playing Fiji schools rugby he then 'emigrated' to NZ and was handed a scholarship. Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by aucklandlaurie on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 5:04 pm

Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Fekitoa was on holiday in New Zealand when he sought entry to Wesley, i'm not sure why you're all so defensive on this subject.

 What gets me cranky is the assertion that New Zealand is engaged in some recruitment drive to pluck kids out of the rest of the Pacific with the objective of turning them into All Blacks, which just isnt true.

 Many kids get scholarships here in New Zealand not just because they show strong sporting ability (and thats not just rugby) but its often to nurture young people in things like Arts, Drama, music even academics, often also for spiritual reasons and this is more the case with some of the Catholic and other religious schools.

Laugh Laugh clap

Tamanivalu was properly nurtured after playing Fiji schools rugby he then 'emigrated' to NZ and was handed a scholarship. Rolling Eyes

 Tamanivalu never played Fiji schools rugby union.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7238
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 60
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Gwlad on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:41 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Fekitoa was on holiday in New Zealand when he sought entry to Wesley, i'm not sure why you're all so defensive on this subject.

 What gets me cranky is the assertion that New Zealand is engaged in some recruitment drive to pluck kids out of the rest of the Pacific with the objective of turning them into All Blacks, which just isnt true.

 Many kids get scholarships here in New Zealand not just because they show strong sporting ability (and thats not just rugby) but its often to nurture young people in things like Arts, Drama, music even academics, often also for spiritual reasons and this is more the case with some of the Catholic and other religious schools.

Laugh Laugh clap

Tamanivalu was properly nurtured after playing Fiji schools rugby he then 'emigrated' to NZ and was handed a scholarship. Rolling Eyes

 Tamanivalu never played Fiji schools rugby union.

No he played league but lets not quibble.

He is the perfect example of a Fijian/Samoan/Tongan who grows up and represents his nation before being 'nurtured' by NZ rugby until he becomes an All Black. He could have gone on to play for Fiji but luckily there was a (ahem) benevolent organization willing to 'nurture' his development. Surprise surprise enter the NZRFU.

But of course there is no spring of rugby talent in the islands and NZ are categorically not exploiting the lack of rugby infrastructure in the islands - that's their fault because of their small population Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 6:49 am

People do change their minds. Francis and moriarty for instance.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 12703
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by kingelderfield on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:35 am

If ever Billy B returns the infinite improbability drive and 'world rugby' moves to a 5 year residency sanction......they'll be more Fijians playing in the nrl.

In this epoch of disunion is it not time to reconstitute sanzar to include the pacific nations?

Lets be honest rsa and oz would lose as many times as they would win in Suva, Apia or Nukuʻalofa, if thats where the games were played.

kingelderfield

Posts : 1734
Join date : 2011-08-27

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by miaow on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 3:59 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:People do change their minds. Francis and  moriarty for instance.

Let's hope Mat Protheroe and Harry Randall follow suit.

miaow

Posts : 1337
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:17 pm

Suppose it depends on if they want the easier pathway.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 12703
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:23 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:People do change their minds. Francis and  moriarty for instance.

When did either declare they wanted to play for England when they grow up? Francis is a Yorkshire man so I can get that but I'm not sure it would have been the case for Moriarty. I think RM represented England to get noticed perhaps and get a pro contract? It makes sense, especially if your schools coach is also the academy coach for Glaws and Eng U20s.

A better example would be Steve Shingler; not sure what that guy was thinking but Andy Robinson was on a cap everybody spree and Shingler answered the call. I wish Wales never capped him at senior level just for that.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 5769
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by funnyExiledScot on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:28 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:People do change their minds. Francis and  moriarty for instance.

When did either declare they wanted to play for England when they grow up? Francis is a Yorkshire man so I can get that but I'm not sure it would have been the case for Moriarty. I think RM represented England to get noticed perhaps and get a pro contract? It makes sense, especially if your schools coach is also the academy coach for Glaws and Eng U20s.

A better example would be Steve Shingler; not sure what that guy was thinking but Andy Robinson was on a cap everybody spree and Shingler answered the call. I wish Wales never capped him at senior level just for that.

No-one escaped from that sorry episode particularly well, although judging by Shingler's career thus far, we didn't miss out on much.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15411
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: NZ trying to get pre-Lions warm up vs Samoa

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum