The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

+27
Diggers
GPB
sirbenson
puligny
wiretapper
1GrumpyGolfer
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
NedB-H
JAS
robopz
I'm never wrong
super_realist
beninho
SmithersJones
Be_the_ball
pedro
Nay
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
EmmDee57
Humpyd
Jermaine2015
sportform
Shotrock
Faldono1fan
31 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

OK, We haven't done this for a couple of years, going through the field of 94 golfers in completely arbitrary and biased fashion until we find a winner we can be happy with. Inspired by Andy North.

No consideration is being made for the conditions which may be influenced by the weather forecast. Storms on Monday closed the course, should be pleasant today, but more storms expected Wednesday. Perhaps the SubAir will presumably cope unless it blows a gasket through overuse, but it sounds as if fairways will still be soft. Then cool and quite windy for Rounds 1 and 2, fine and calmer for the weekend, greens drying out and running at 20 on the Stimpmeter.

1).No amateur has won The Masters and that won't change this week. Five golfers eliminated.

2).And Augusta first-timers haven't won since Fuzzy almost 40 years ago. That gets rid of 14 more, but this is an impressive crop of debutants including Fleetwood, Hadwin, Noren, Pieters & Rahm. Sorry guys, maybe next year.

3).Old Masters and Past Masters: This year in particular, the over-forties crowd who have flourished in the past, have been put into their place by the Young Guns. No-one over 40 has won the Green Jacket since Fatty O'Meara in 1998 and I don't see that trend changing, although Mickelson would undoubtedly bet against that trend. Green Zimmer frames for Phil, Lee, Henrik and 20 others, including 38-y-o Trevor Immelman who won't be in contention. Will he?

For those scoring at home, that's 42 down, 52 to go.

4).We haven't seen an Asian-born Major winner and who's to say Matsuyama won't be the first? Just not this week, Hideki, and you can commiserate with Ben An, James Hahn, Ikeda, Kevin Na (got to get rid of him somehow) and Tanihara. That's another six deported, 46 to go.

5).Continental Europe hasn't produced a winner since Jose Maria 18 years ago and that won't change this year, much as I think Rafa will have a good week. That's five more gone, plus I'll throw in Shane Lowry if my back can take it. 40 remain.

6).Lightning won't strike twice, willett? Very thin ice here as I really like Justin Rose to have a fine week. Good form all year and this may be his focus, much as Rio was last year. But the rest of the British contingent (including Rory) will drown their sorrows with the Patrons, and that's another 9 down the drain. 31 still playing.

7).I like winners and recent winners even more. That sees the field narrow considerably if I eliminate all those who haven't won this year or last - 11 more leave the premises, and then there were 20 (hate to see Kisner go).

8).Some high-flyers from last year have been under the radar this. Augusta National is no place to rediscover your game so adios to Jason Day, Spieth (but he'll surely be around the lead, won't he?), Scott, Reed, Bubba, 3 x Saffers, Walker, Koepka, Berger, Moore. That's a dozen to the exit, and an elite eight remain.

9).Most Masters winners are terrific putters, and Justin Thomas (48th in putting), Brendan Steele (102nd) and Johnny Vegas (164th) won't get it done.

10).Which leaves DJ, Fowler, Henley, Leishman and Sneds.
Sneds ticks most of the boxes, not least being someone who embraces the "Augusta" thing. Not in top form though.
Fowler still has that double-bogey in his DNA.
So this leaves us with a top 3 of Russell Henley, Marc Leishman and Dustin Johnson. All recent winners of course, but nothing wrong with a hot golfer. I can't see past DJ; he may be unsettled by the wind early in the tournament but soft fairways won't hurt him at all.  
Best of the rest: Berger, Oosthuizen, Rose, Spieth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:05 am

Utter choke. I am surely allowed to use the choke label this time?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:06 am

Didn't even touch the hole.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:10 am

Shocking misread, that was basically Lyle's putt and always left to right.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:12 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Makes you wonder how we lost the Ryder Cup . . . . . . . .

Lee Westwood censored

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:13 am

Mac,
You're an effing tosspot sometimes (well, most of the time), but how many golfers do you think have beaten these guys today?
Thought so.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:15 am

Come on kwini, 6 foot or so to win a major and you start it on the wrong side of the hole?

At least we get to see a bit more of this.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:27 am

Genuinely surprised at Rose. Doesn't usually make mistakes like that. Bet he still holes the putt!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:31 am

Solid 68 from Casey.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:35 am

I never believed Sergio could win The Masters, of all the Majors for me this was the least likely. He plays a fade and isn't a great putter, thats some achievement. Delighted for him.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:37 am

Only player to shoot under par on all four rounds - delighted for him
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:40 am

betheball

When you keep stiffing iron shots I guess your putting doesn't have to be that great. What a great tournament to watch. Not often is golf that exciting to watch.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:43 am

McLaren wrote:Utter choke.   I am surely allowed to use the choke label this time?

Only you could label the winner a choker Mac, uniquely amusing, even for you ;-)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:45 am

I am here to please. thumbsup

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:48 am

Wonder what he'll choose for the dinner next year??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:51 am

I'm never wrong wrote:Got that wrong, as usual...

Another stellar prediction there INW, how did you get on with the Grand National?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:52 am

JAS wrote:Wonder what he'll choose for the dinner next year??
Tiger just canceled due to a bad back...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:55 am

Congrats to Sergio or something from a Harrington fan!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 10 Apr 2017, 1:23 am

I will never understand the adoration Garcia gets? What am I missing?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 1:34 am

SirB

Whatever you do don't admit that on here, half the board will hold you in contempt for ever more.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 10 Apr 2017, 7:24 am

Great final round by rose and sergio, course hardly being ripped up so both shooting 3 under in thise circumstances was very good. Glad sergio won though.

Hes played every major since 1999, thats really impressive considering never had a winners exemption. A great career even if he didnt win, but now people cant hold it against him.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 10 Apr 2017, 7:52 am

A bit gutted for Rose as hope he would pull it off, but well done Garcia, he certainly had to win it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Apr 2017, 7:58 am

That shot into the par 5 that hit the pin was probably the best shot I've ever seen at The Masters given the importance (yes, even better than 9C's over-rated chip)

Outstanding back 9 and great viewing played with great sportsmanship. Well done to Sergio and Rose and also great kudos to the American fans who supported like they were both American players.

I do wonder if this will be Garcia's Ivanisevic moment. Now he's got a Major, will his focus desert him and will he just be happy to have finally done it?

PS. Was Mac crying into his 1997 Tiger Woods Annual last night about 00:45?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 10 Apr 2017, 8:10 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:Got that wrong, as usual...

Another stellar prediction there INW, how did you get on with the Grand National?

Picked 5 donkeys

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 10 Apr 2017, 8:34 am

super_realist wrote:That shot into the par 5 that hit the pin was probably the best shot I've ever seen at The Masters given the importance (yes, even better than 9C's over-rated chip)

Outstanding back 9 and great viewing played with great sportsmanship. Well done to Sergio and Rose and also great kudos to the American fans who supported like they were both American players.

I do wonder if this will be Garcia's Ivanisevic moment. Now he's got a Major, will his focus desert him and will he just be happy to have finally done it?

PS. Was Mac crying into his 1997 Tiger Woods Annual last night about 00:45?

Garcia could well rest on his laurels, but the 2 scenarios are very different. Garcia went into the Masters after a year of good form and ranked 11 in the world. Goran needed a wildcard just to play Wimbledon and basically had the fortnight of his life, I don't think anyone expected him to ever repeat it. I can see Garcia at least getting into contention in majors to come, whether he gets across the line or not who knows, it could well have gone the other way last night. Fine lines, as Westie knows.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Apr 2017, 8:38 am

What i'd worry about, ( not worry, but you know what I mean) is that most players tend to stall after their first major win. OK, most of them haven't been in Sergio's class, but I do wonder if he might do a Willett, Clarke, Bradley, Simpson etc and stagnate a little.

Hopefully it gives him the hunger for more, but wouldn't be surprised to see a lull in form from him for the rest of the year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 10 Apr 2017, 8:39 am

I have no idea if he will win another, but I dont think he will fall away. He is only 37 and never really suffered with injuries. I was really surprised with how far he was hitting the ball, comfortably further than Rose on most holes.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 10 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

Who knows, he's about to get hitched so presumably is happy. Could get fat and lazy and enjoy spending his millions. Or he could be a Murray who clearly wants to win more and more. Time will tell I guess. Either way, he must feel the weight of the world has lifted from his shoulders.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

It was good to see how much class Rose had. He must have been gutted, but showed what a gentleman he is.

Best Masters in years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 10 Apr 2017, 8:49 am

Most amusing part of the presentation was when Hagestad the low AM looked bewildered at the suggestion that he might give up his NYC finance job and turn pro.
Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Apr 2017, 9:24 am

You'd have to wonder why you wouldn't at least try and have a go at being pro if you're good enough to make the cut at Augusta.

Could always go back to finance if you do a Bradley Neil and fail at golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 10 Apr 2017, 9:26 am

Sergio is too good to fade away. At the very least he'd resurface at the majors.
Great win for Sergio, really happy for him. Yes, also feel a bit sorry for Rose but Sergios time had come.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 10 Apr 2017, 9:27 am

super_realist wrote:You'd have to wonder why you wouldn't at least try and have a go at being pro if you're good enough to make the cut at Augusta.

Just shows that money are too good on Wall Street..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Apr 2017, 9:28 am

Thomas Pieters and Rahm seemed to have confirmed what we already knew. Next Ryder Cup could be shaping up for a belter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 10 Apr 2017, 9:50 am

super_realist wrote:You'd have to wonder why you wouldn't at least try and have a go at being pro if you're good enough to make the cut at Augusta.

There must be some people who just see golf as a game and not a career, clearly it's not about the money for him. Would imagine the life of a pro golfer must be pretty tedious a lot of the time, though I can't imagine anything fuller than being a banker.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:16 am

El Nino notworthy clap

Arise The Masters Champion.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:30 am

I think this win might free Sergio up a little and he could go on to win a few more like Phil.

Thought the shoot out between the two of them was great viewing.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:59 am

Fantastic Sergio. Let the snipers snipe - its all they're good for.
Great event - not a major in my view, but I always enjoy it. Possibly even transcends major status, if only because of the way players feel about it, but limited field for one of the premier events has never sat easily. Let's get a proper set of majors around the world - works for tennis!
Justin, pure class as ever, and great cameos from Charl and Kuchar. I reckon it's a pity Rory is now taking time off - get back on the horse!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Mon 10 Apr 2017, 11:24 am

That was a great Masters, the most enjoyable for me in a while.

The final pairing tied for the lead going up the 18th is exactly where you want them to be and the fact it was two golfers I like and want to see do well made it that extra bit special.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 10 Apr 2017, 11:39 am

Spoiler:

Sergio not content with just gobbing in the hole  ......

Before you start I'm NOT a Sergio hater - very pleased for him .. just couldn't resist!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Apr 2017, 11:41 am

Mac's pretty quiet today.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:15 pm

Great last day's play. Thought Garcia had blown it with his drive on 13 and a couple of putts that seemed to be him doing what he had done so many times before, but his execution of shots down the stretch was phenomenal as was his composure, particularly having seen a 5 shot swing against him. Class reaction of Rose too in defeat.

Bit of a shame Fowler and Spieth kind of dragged each other down in the same way that Rose and Garcia inspired each other, but happy with the way it went in the end.

Don't like Rose's putting/aiming routine though.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:18 pm

By the way, how awkward and eggy is the jacket presentation? Jim Nantz is woeful and Hootie Payne or whatever he is called is a cretin.

Surely they could have a better way of presenting the jacket which isn't so shiversome?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:34 pm

The jacket and the ceremony belong together, both appalling.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:47 pm

super_realist wrote:Hootie Payne or whatever he is called is a cretin.

Maybe on some issues but at least he dealt with the phone refs properly. If this had been the US open I am pretty sure Sergio would have been informed somewhere up the final few holes that his ball had moved and he had been given a penalty.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Apr 2017, 1:52 pm

KFC for tea tonight Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 10 Apr 2017, 2:17 pm

Eyes on next years Dubai Desert Classic for an early indication of a Masters challenger.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Apr 2017, 3:45 pm

To be honest I did Google fried chicken joints in Edinburgh. Maybe one night this week.

I will try and post photographic evidence.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Mon 10 Apr 2017, 3:53 pm

Really happy for Sergio, tbh I thought his time had passed. But he was exceptional. He finally displayed that mental fortitude that has robbed him many more majors. Johnson and Garcia both with the monkeys off their backs. Westwood's time should be next.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Apr 2017, 4:00 pm

Faux FEX Pts

Pieters 576 pts
Fleetwood 401 pts
Hatton 384 pts
Fisher 384 pts

Pieters definitely has earned a PGATour Card, should he want it.

Fleetwood should have enough and Hatton, Fisher should have enough as soon as they make another cut on the PGATour.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 10 Apr 2017, 5:15 pm

McLaren wrote:Utter choke.   I am surely allowed to use the choke label this time?
Laugh How do you like the taste of that humble pie Mac?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next