The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

+27
Diggers
GPB
sirbenson
puligny
wiretapper
1GrumpyGolfer
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
NedB-H
JAS
robopz
I'm never wrong
super_realist
beninho
SmithersJones
Be_the_ball
pedro
Nay
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
EmmDee57
Humpyd
Jermaine2015
sportform
Shotrock
Faldono1fan
31 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

OK, We haven't done this for a couple of years, going through the field of 94 golfers in completely arbitrary and biased fashion until we find a winner we can be happy with. Inspired by Andy North.

No consideration is being made for the conditions which may be influenced by the weather forecast. Storms on Monday closed the course, should be pleasant today, but more storms expected Wednesday. Perhaps the SubAir will presumably cope unless it blows a gasket through overuse, but it sounds as if fairways will still be soft. Then cool and quite windy for Rounds 1 and 2, fine and calmer for the weekend, greens drying out and running at 20 on the Stimpmeter.

1).No amateur has won The Masters and that won't change this week. Five golfers eliminated.

2).And Augusta first-timers haven't won since Fuzzy almost 40 years ago. That gets rid of 14 more, but this is an impressive crop of debutants including Fleetwood, Hadwin, Noren, Pieters & Rahm. Sorry guys, maybe next year.

3).Old Masters and Past Masters: This year in particular, the over-forties crowd who have flourished in the past, have been put into their place by the Young Guns. No-one over 40 has won the Green Jacket since Fatty O'Meara in 1998 and I don't see that trend changing, although Mickelson would undoubtedly bet against that trend. Green Zimmer frames for Phil, Lee, Henrik and 20 others, including 38-y-o Trevor Immelman who won't be in contention. Will he?

For those scoring at home, that's 42 down, 52 to go.

4).We haven't seen an Asian-born Major winner and who's to say Matsuyama won't be the first? Just not this week, Hideki, and you can commiserate with Ben An, James Hahn, Ikeda, Kevin Na (got to get rid of him somehow) and Tanihara. That's another six deported, 46 to go.

5).Continental Europe hasn't produced a winner since Jose Maria 18 years ago and that won't change this year, much as I think Rafa will have a good week. That's five more gone, plus I'll throw in Shane Lowry if my back can take it. 40 remain.

6).Lightning won't strike twice, willett? Very thin ice here as I really like Justin Rose to have a fine week. Good form all year and this may be his focus, much as Rio was last year. But the rest of the British contingent (including Rory) will drown their sorrows with the Patrons, and that's another 9 down the drain. 31 still playing.

7).I like winners and recent winners even more. That sees the field narrow considerably if I eliminate all those who haven't won this year or last - 11 more leave the premises, and then there were 20 (hate to see Kisner go).

8).Some high-flyers from last year have been under the radar this. Augusta National is no place to rediscover your game so adios to Jason Day, Spieth (but he'll surely be around the lead, won't he?), Scott, Reed, Bubba, 3 x Saffers, Walker, Koepka, Berger, Moore. That's a dozen to the exit, and an elite eight remain.

9).Most Masters winners are terrific putters, and Justin Thomas (48th in putting), Brendan Steele (102nd) and Johnny Vegas (164th) won't get it done.

10).Which leaves DJ, Fowler, Henley, Leishman and Sneds.
Sneds ticks most of the boxes, not least being someone who embraces the "Augusta" thing. Not in top form though.
Fowler still has that double-bogey in his DNA.
So this leaves us with a top 3 of Russell Henley, Marc Leishman and Dustin Johnson. All recent winners of course, but nothing wrong with a hot golfer. I can't see past DJ; he may be unsettled by the wind early in the tournament but soft fairways won't hurt him at all.  
Best of the rest: Berger, Oosthuizen, Rose, Spieth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Apr 2017, 10:46 pm

Maybe he got so bored of his own personality he just fell asleep on the stairs and fell down them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:27 am

I find it a bit ironic, if not hypocritical. that contributor(s) to a golf forum are complaining that Dustin Johnson is boring.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 6:43 am

Being on a golf forum doesn't make you boring . It might be one "boring" element to our lives if you want to look at it this way, but it doesn't sum up your life.

I mentioned that Johnson has a boring personality, and I've seen nothing that changes that assessment, and we've seen a lot more of him, than anyone has seen of us.

He could be a regular David Niven for all we know just as Mac might be engaging, funny and the complete opposite of his turgid self in real life, but DJ seems thick as a fridge door and extremely dull (at least as far as we can tell).

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu 06 Apr 2017, 7:17 am

He's a great golfer but there's definitely not much going on upstairs (no pun intended).

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:25 am

People think DJ is boring?

Hasn't he been done for drugs, banged other peoples wives, and now getting it on with a honey? I also read a story , not sure if true, about him out almost all night then shooting early 60s in some mini tour event.

These may all be wrong and he may just be an early night and cup of tea kinda guy, but i doubt it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:33 am

I'm talking about his empty headed interviews and how he comes across. Makes Ronnie O Sullivan's recent one word answers look enlightening. Stull not as bad as a Steven Gerrard interview though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:45 am

Don't you need a bit of imagination to win around Augusta? Sorry, but I see plenty ahead of DJ even if he was 100% fit. Also I think someone going under the radar will have a better chance.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:51 am

t4 and t6th in his last two masters, and never missed the cut. I think it will be difficult for him as favourite, but he clearly has the game to win at Augusta. And imagination, he can take lines different to almost anyone else due to his length.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:58 am

Point taken and he has a good record, but there are plenty of ways to skin a cat and it's who does that best in a given week. Power has proved successful, but also guile and playing to your strengths has also got the job done.EG Zach Johnson,Weir and Cabrera.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:05 am

beninho wrote:t4 and t6th in his last two masters, and never missed the cut.  I think it will be difficult for him as favourite, but he clearly has the game to win at Augusta. And imagination, he can take lines different to almost anyone else due to his length.
Also think his laid back (stoner?) attitude might help him when it gets to Sunday's back-9, if he's there or thereabouts. If there's not much up top, perhaps he doesn't even know he should have any nerves...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:14 am

Not sure about the nerves bit because he did seem to throw away quite a few majors before he landed one last year. Mind you he probably does have more belief now then he did before. I just don't think he is as clear a favourite as people are saying. Only my opinion..

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:20 am

McGinley was talking last night about what happens when Johnson is not leading or close to the top.
Good point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:28 am

When was the last favourite to win at Augusta? Just looking, Tiger in 2005 or Phil in 06? looking at recent winners, no real shock winners even if the favourite isnt running away with it. I dont recall how Angel or Immelman were playing at the time they won though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:37 am

Favourite rarely wins any tournament Beninho.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:47 am

Augusta National received 1.4 inches of rain on Wednesday, but there was no damage to the course

So says the Masters tweetbot

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:29 pm

Faldono1fan wrote:Not sure about the nerves bit because he did seem to throw away quite a few majors before he landed one last year. Mind you he probably does have more belief now then he did before. I just don't think he is as clear a favourite as people are saying. Only my opinion..
Definitely agree with this. In a ~100 player field, many of whom must have a good chance and who've focused all their early season prep on this event, it'll take DJ being on top form as well as others not being in the same state with their games. I'd not be at all surprised if it's not him wearing green come Sunday evening.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

Weather in the Augusta area looks to be cool as advertised: 56F at 7.45 a.m., but not yet as windy: About 10 mph, but expected to strengthen to 20 - 30 mph with temps steady in the low 60's. We'll see.

Rory's adjustment of Nicklaus's driver must have done the trick!

Billy Payne must be one of the most unlikeable people around.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

I understand the relevance of the ceremonial start but with Arnie's passing why don't they bring someone else in (or rather 2 so it's a fourball ceremonial start) rather than just Player and Nicklaus? They won't be around forever so what happens then? No ceremonial start? Why don't they bring in someone like Tom Watson, Ben Crenshaw i.e. other multiple winners.

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:14 pm

They missed a trick by not having Jack or Gary hit one of those exploding balls filled with the ashes of Arnie. I'm sure its what he would have wanted.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:15 pm

I'm guessing they will but this year probably felt it was right to leave the space for Arnie.

I recall Gene Sarazen and Sam Snead doing it in the 80s

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:20 pm

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/849959716130365441

Here are the pin positions for the first round!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:24 pm

I presume they can't have someone playing in the actual tournament involved as that would be deemed as practicing on the course and they'd be disqualified!! But of course they wouldn't be told about it until the day after when someone spots it and emails in!!!

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:26 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Rory's adjustment of Nicklaus's driver must have done the trick!

Anything that belittles the little prick Player has to be a good thing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:27 pm

What's your problem with Player Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:34 pm

He is a gobshite.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:36 pm

In the Feherty interview Mickelson said you'd either have to be extremely clever or extremely stupid to be able to consistently win on tour. Dunno which bracket Phil or DJ falls into.

DJ was a party goer and bit of a punk is his earlier days and he also did have some charm and personality. How else could he pull Paulina and all the wags? But it appears things have changed after his ban and rehab.

I'm ok with honoring Arnie at the ceremonial tee shot this year. Then next year Tiger can fill in.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:43 pm

Have to say I've never been able to warm to Player either. He's undoubtedly done a lot for golf but it's his "I do 100s of sit-ups a day and can still kick my leg up" that get's on my wick.

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:46 pm

For what it's worth I cannot warm to Gary Player either

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:50 pm

I do like that Player speaks what's on his mind and usually gives his honest opinion. Quite refreshing in contrast to the sychopantic and slick golf personalities we see every day.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:52 pm

pedro wrote:In the Feherty interview Mickelson said you'd either have to be extremely clever or extremely stupid to be able to consistently win on tour. Dunno which bracket Phil or DJ falls into.

DJ was a party goer and bit of a punk is his earlier days and he also did have some charm and personality. How else could he pull Paulina and all the wags? But it appears things have changed after his ban and rehab.

I'm ok with honoring Arnie at the ceremonial tee shot this year. Then next year Tiger can fill in.

An impressive bank account. What else?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:54 pm

Well it's not like Paulina or the other wags were short of money or bling? Paulina was daddys girl and the other wags were already successful golddiggers.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:59 pm

Indeed, that's true, but if your partner looks like Jason Dufner or Jimmy Walker, you're probably going to look elsewhere for a bit of rogerisation aren't you?

Heard an interesting piece on radio today that not only is Johnson incredibly thick, he's not well liked at all either on tour.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:06 pm

pedro wrote:I do like that Player speaks what's on his mind and usually gives his honest opinion. Quite refreshing in contrast to the sycophantic and slick golf personalities we see every day.

Still waiting for Player to back up the nonsense about many golfers being on PED's that he came up with ten or so years ago.
It's all about Gary isn't it, black and white, full of hyperbole, yap, yap, yap. Who knows what his honest opinion really is? Glad Nicklaus drove it by him this morning . . . . . . .

Don't think DJ gives a toss that he's not exactly a Rhodes Scholar; difficult to argue against his record over the past ten months and would say the tournament is somewhat diminished if he's seriously hurt.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:13 pm

super_realist wrote:Indeed, that's true, but if your partner looks like Jason Dufner or Jimmy Walker, you're probably going to look elsewhere for a bit of rogerisation aren't you?

Heard an interesting piece on radio today that not only is Johnson incredibly thick, he's not well liked at all either on tour.
True dat. Ironic that wedge play was one of his weaknesses.

No sh|t he's not well liked when he banged half the players wifes. Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:15 pm

super_realist wrote:Heard an interesting piece on radio today that not only is Johnson incredibly thick, he's not well liked at all either on tour.

Would you care to elaborate on the claim DJ is not well liked on tour? Seems like a totally unsubstantiated claim be someone that you have repeated.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:19 pm

Like I said Mac, I heard it on the radio, though if you're one of the players whose wives he might have had horizontal refreshment with, I doubt you'd find too many who claim to like him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:20 pm

Humpyd wrote: it's his "I do 100s of sit-ups a day and can still kick my leg up" that get's on my wick.

According to Jason Sobel Player got up in the middle of his post ceremonial tee shot press conference and started doing squats!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:06 pm

Speaking of people that are hard to like. That Augusta Chairman seems an utter dick.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:16 pm

Russell Henley makes the turn one under par - he's playing in a twosome (w/Summerhays) and making the most of the apparent opportunity to finish the round before the wind really picks up.
If the forecast "gusts over 40 mph" materialise there could be difficulty having the ball stop/stay still on the greens unless they've reined in the stimp.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:19 pm

super_realist wrote:Speaking of people that are hard to like. That Augusta Chairman seems an utter dick.

Would be more surprised if he wasnt.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:31 pm

McLaren wrote:
Humpyd wrote: it's his "I do 100s of sit-ups a day and can still kick my leg up" that get's on my wick.

According to Jason Sobel Player got up in the middle of his post ceremonial tee shot press conference and started doing squats!
Watch it here. Squats is about 2/3 thru.
http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2017-04-06/1491483577.html

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:35 pm

Oosterwhatever, whats gone on there? hes normally pretty consistent

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:39 pm

Sandy Lyle heart heart heart

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:17 pm

Great start from Thomas Pieters!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:29 pm

When does the bloody Sky coverage start?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:30 pm

7pm, though not usually live until 8pm i think?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:33 pm

I think there may be some selective coverage on the red button before 7pm though

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:52 pm

Sky have red button coverage now - featured group, Amen Corner and 15,16. Full coverage not till 7pm

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Apr 2017, 5:45 pm

Four stroke lead for Pieters!
How he'd like that on Sunday . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 06 Apr 2017, 6:18 pm

You bet he would like the Kwin. And it's highly unlikely he'll have it at that time. Still, a heck of a start. Anyone hear if DJ is playing?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next