The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Burns - Spoilers

+11
melv500
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
Happytravelling
The Beast
alanqlm
EX7EY
AdamT
Qoxiivi
Hammersmith harrier
mobilemaster8
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ricky Burns - Spoilers - Page 2 Empty Ricky Burns - Spoilers

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anybody watching? Has the 140lbs division become that bad? It's basically Crawford. That's it. Everyone's has moved to 147 and we have Burns as world champ "unifying" against some African gentlemen.....fair play he sparked the Russian....but still...what a poor poor unification this will be

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns - Spoilers - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricky Burns - Spoilers

Post by catchweight Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 pm

I dont think Burns is finished. He just came up against a better boxer. No need to retire if hes still got the hunger to continue. I knew nothing about this guy he was up against but they didnt do Burns any favours with tht match up. All wrong for Burns.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:19 am

catchweight wrote:I dont think Burns is finished. He just came up against a better boxer. No need to retire if hes still got the hunger to continue. I knew nothing about this guy he was up against but they didnt do Burns any favours with tht match up. All wrong for Burns.

I agree. Everytime a fighter loses, or puts in a bad shift, they're confined to the scrap heap these days. Burns will crack on I'm sure.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:20 am

Just to play devils advocate and you present me the opportunity Haz.

How great are Floyd and Manny. They barely weigh over the welter limit, Manny might even weigh under. Yet they dominate guys that cut 10-15 pounds regularly.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:38 am

Crawford is to move up to 147 after his next fight, so Hearn and bum burns will be eyeing up a fight for a vacant belt.Only way this stiff can inherit a belt

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:45 am

Give it a rest now Jermaine.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:06 am

AdamT wrote:Just to play devils advocate and you present me the opportunity Haz.

How great are Floyd and Manny. They barely weigh over the welter limit, Manny might even weigh under. Yet they dominate guys that cut 10-15 pounds regularly.

What has this got to do with Ricky Burns?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:18 am

Wrong thread. Was meant for the Jones Jr one, were you mention jones Jr would weigh similar to pre 80's Light Heavies as 160lb fighter.

I just mentioned two guys that routinely dealt with heavier men.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 am

Strange fighter burns, he has a pretty basic classic style but one which which seems to lend itself to being very competitive against certain fighters and found wanting against others. He turns in performances where he looks outclassed and shot... and then follows it with a backs to the wall performance where he exceeds expectations.

Maybe this guy was just all wrong for him... or maybe it finally is the end of the road. Tune in next time to find out.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 am

Burns looked horrible on Saturday night, he seemed to be fighting in survival mode from the off after Indongos wild quick start (who I thought looked pretty average at best)

I like Burns he has made the best of what seems like very average natural talents. Not sure where he goes ? Campbell, Crolla, Josh Taylor ? looks like a gatekeeper in the future now.

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 pm

I think Burns is in the position now where he's competing at a weight that's not natural to him and it doesn't suit.

I think the naturally smaller guys that get heavier with age can struggle in this way if they don't have elite level ability. It's alright when fighting average competition but when they come up against naturally bigger guys with a bit of ability they get exposed. I think Burns falls into that category. Indongo was just too big and awkward for him. They weighed the same but look at the difference in physique. There was nothing Burns could do, couldnt outbox him and didnt have the power to put him down.

Think if Burns is to carry on it's got to be as some sort of gatekeeper for the domestic guys coming through. Be stupid to keep chasing 'World titles' in my eyes.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2