The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts)

+52
Exiledinborders
Sin é
international198
tazfalklands
king_carlos
BamBam
TJ
Mad for Chelsea
BigGee
jimbopip
The Great Aukster
SimonofSurrey
Gooseberry
eirebilly
David-Douglas
EST
formerly known as Sam
Mr Bounce
Cardiff Dave
Hammersmith harrier
BigTrevsbigmac
RiscaGame
No9
Thunderthighs
zombiesurvivalman
TrailApe
kingelderfield
Rugbyjk
R!skysports
ChequeredJersey
GunsGermsV2
No 7&1/2
lostinwales
Rory_Gallagher
majesticimperialman
Rugby Fan
Breadvan
Poorfour
RuggerRadge2611
mikey_dragon
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
robbo277
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
Scottrf
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
Taylorman
Luckless Pedestrian
Cyril
Ozzy3213
Gwlad
56 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts) - Page 3 Empty Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts)

Post by Gwlad Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Since we're all being so nice to each other and we haven't had one for a while,  i thought we needed to relieve some tension with a new Lions thread.

We know that by the 1st test there will be at least 15-20% casualties so we'll lose up to 8 players. Its likely we'll lose a couple before the squad even leaves and unlike the boyos at Rorke's Drift Gatland can call on reinforcements to swell the ranks to hold off the All Black hordes. With the club games and well documented All Black perceptions of what is and what isn't foul/dangerous play, it could get messy.

I expect the following to get the nod in this order. I've picked players who should have been in the squad, are leaders, or who are former Lions and can make an impact.

Props: Healy, Jenkins, Evans,
Props: Nel, Lee, Francis
Hookers: Hartley, Brown, Hibbard
Locks: Launchbury, Ryan, R Gray, Charteris,
Flank: Watson, Lydiate, Wobshaw
8: Heaslip, ?
9: Care, Davies
10: Ford, Russell.
Centre: Roberts, Ringrose
back 3: Kearney. Never Mike Brown

Fire at will.

Last edited by Gwlad on Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 am; edited 3 times in total

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts) - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts)

Post by Guest Mon May 01, 2017 1:18 am

Gwlad wrote:
miaow wrote:Up at 4am posting on 606 Gwlad?

pretty scary stalking miaow and nice try but, thankfully, we dont live in the same time zones. Would have thought your genius would have made that obvious Rolling Eyes

There's a time attached to your post. "Stalking" Erm

Considering you're half the world away, and the fact you're a ubiquitous presence on this site, it makes it even worse. Go outside! Meet new people! Get into ice hockey!

As mentioned, does explain the nationalist wumming. Nothing like insecurity to make someone overcompensate through overzealous self fashioning.

Out of interest, are you WQ? Would you need a three year residency? Or are you as Welsh as Tomas Franics? Rupert Moon? Shane Howarth...?

Back to top Go down

Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts) - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts)

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon May 01, 2017 4:01 am

Considering your own posting on England revealed your own bias miaow take a step back and relax. I disagree with a host of gwlad s posts and yours and several others....post offering opposition rather than tell them to remove themselves from posting.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon May 01, 2017 7:33 am

miaow wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

pretty scary stalking miaow and nice try but, thankfully, we dont live in the same time zones. Would have thought your genius would have made that obvious Rolling Eyes

Considering you're half the world away, and the fact you're a ubiquitous presence on this site, it makes it even worse. Go outside! Meet new people! Get into ice hockey!

As mentioned, does explain the nationalist wumming. Nothing like insecurity to make someone overcompensate through overzealous self fashioning.

Out of interest, are you WQ? Would you need a three year residency? Or are you as Welsh as Tomas Franics? Rupert Moon? Shane Howarth...?

More stalking, nothing to do with the thread just constant harassment trying to get me off the site.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon May 01, 2017 7:48 am

Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

He's in Canada if I remember right. Nothing like the nationalistic self righteousness of the expat.

says 'lostinwales', shame it hasn't rubbed off on you a bit. Rolling Eyes

Not in wales anymore, and as an England supporter I actually have a team to be proud of (for now....)

Makes two of us Lost, can't wait to meet thumbsup

ah sweet, you belong together Hug

Do try harder. Jealousy won't get you anywhere.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 am

Gwlad wrote:
miaow wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

More stalking, nothing to do with the thread just constant harassment trying to get me off the site.

Not at all, I'd love you to stay, just stop being such a bad WUM.

Incidentally, how Welsh are you, Gwlad?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

Miaow

Since you refuse to talk rugby, constantly solicit me to leave the site, accuse me of nationalism without even understanding it and now question my nationality i strongly suggest you foe me or remove yourself from a thread i drafted, to which you have contributed nothing but bilious rubbish. I will not be baited by you and refuse to correspond with you as you are very very boring. ta ta

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 01, 2017 10:15 pm

https://youtu.be/RpEaEbPoJu0?t=50s

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue May 02, 2017 2:32 am

miaow wrote:https://youtu.be/RpEaEbPoJu0?t=50s

Yes very good, pity it doesn't pick up the last two or three matches highlights which are even more outrageous.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Cyril wrote:It may sound pessimistic but I can see the Lions only winning 2-3 games all tour.

I wouldnt judge the Lions chances on the Wales tour to NZ.

I watched the Chiefs v the Sunwolves on Saturday. The Chiefs have some really good players like Damian McKensie and Cruden but were fairly unconvincing at home against probably the weakest side in Super rugby. Im guessing their ABs like Messam, Retallick and Cane wouldnt all be playing. Wales may have been slaughtered by them but I reckon the Lions will beat them. The Lions should also be able to beat the Blues and the Highlanders but you never know.

I also think that the Lions should really beat the Maori and the Barbarians and one test v NZ. I think they need to win at least one test for tour to be a success.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Cyril wrote:It may sound pessimistic but I can see the Lions only winning 2-3 games all tour.

I watched the Chiefs v the Sunwolves on Saturday. The Chiefs have some really good players like Damian McKensie and Cruden but were fairly unconvincing at home against probably the weakest side in Super rugby. Im guessing their ABs like Messam, Retallick and Cane wouldnt all be playing. Wales may have been slaughtered by them but I reckon the Lions will beat them. The Lions should also be able to beat the Blues and the Highlanders but you never know.

I also think that the Lions should really beat the Maori and the Barbarians and one test v NZ. I think they need to win at least one test for tour to be a success.

I mean, we could base the chances on one of the weakest performances by a NZ team this season, or the average game where they are running in 8 or 9 tries.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Will the Chiefs have the same lineup as an average game? The Chiefs game is one week before the first test. Surely guys like Messam, Cane and Retallick will not be playing.

Also I dont think they have scored 8 or 9 tries in any game this year. It definitely isnt their average tally. The most they have scored in any one game is 6 this year which is obviously above their average and its unlikely they would score that many against a team of international players.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue May 02, 2017 9:10 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Chiefs have had a fairly poor last 3-4 weeks in general.

The NZ Barbarians are a team of (mostly) semi-pros, if the Lions can't win that one I'd be very worried.

Word in NZ is that the Maori will be allowed to pick some AB squad members, so they could be strong - the likes of Messam, Squire, Cruden, Damian McKenzie.

The Crusaders and Blues will be at full strength, & the Crusaders are unbeaten through 9 matches this year, matching the 2002 and 2006 title winning sides. Granted the Blues have been poor against the other NZ sides (0-5 this season so far), though they've been decent at home vs foreign teams - so as long as the Lions pick players who know how to beat the Aussies they'll probably be fine Wink .

The Lions winning a test would be one in the eye for the bookies, and would probably be a gauge for marking a "successful" tour. I'd expect the Lions to win vs the depleted Chiefs, Canes & Highlanders, probably the Blues, with the Maori & Crusaders as 50:50 matches
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue May 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Yeah I think the Lions will lose to the Crusaders alright and probably another super rugby side.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue May 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Chiefs have had a fairly poor last 3-4 weeks in general.

The NZ Barbarians are a team of (mostly) semi-pros, if the Lions can't win that one I'd be very worried.

Word in NZ is that the Maori will be allowed to pick some AB squad members, so they could be strong - the likes of Messam, Squire, Cruden, Damian McKenzie.

The Crusaders and Blues will be at full strength, & the Crusaders are unbeaten through 9 matches this year, matching the 2002 and 2006 title winning sides. Granted the Blues have been poor against the other NZ sides (0-5 this season so far), though they've been decent at home vs foreign teams - so as long as the Lions pick players who know how to beat the Aussies they'll probably be fine Wink .

The Lions winning a test would be one in the eye for the bookies, and would probably be a gauge for marking a "successful" tour. I'd expect the Lions to win vs the depleted Chiefs, Canes & Highlanders, probably the Blues, with the Maori & Crusaders as 50:50 matches

Well Im backing my Blues to beat the Lions, firstly, because they have access to all their All Blacks and will probably know well before then that theyre out being last in the NZ conference despite the possibility of scoring more table points than the automatic qualifying oz leader in a ridiculous scenario.

If that happens they will be looking to seek redemption for their fans by beating the Lions at Eden park.

Depending on whether the Lions play their top side against the Saders or the Blues... they wont do both, the Blues could be very difficult. And theyre only losing to NZ sides, just, with 1,4,5,9 across four.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed May 03, 2017 12:12 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Yeah I think the Lions will lose to the Crusaders alright and probably another super rugby side.

There is one Irish player in the Crusaders squad, Oliver Jager. He is as yet uncapped but would be interesting to see how he gets on. He is a tight head prop.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Yeah I think the Lions will lose to the Crusaders alright and probably another super rugby side.

There is one Irish player in the Crusaders squad, Oliver Jager. He is as yet uncapped but would be interesting to see how he gets on. He is a tight head prop.

He's gotten 53 minutes over 2 matches this season for 5 tackles made, 2 missed. 0 turnovers conceded. He's 3rd choice tighthead behind Franks and Michael Alaalatoa (Alaalatoa is Australian Samoan, his brother Alan is a capped Wallabies' prop).

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed May 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Just reviewing this as I see we've already had some movement and even though Maitland is out I refuse to add Mike Toys Brown to the list. With Hogg, Half, Williams and Watson I think we have adequate 15 cover anyway. I'll pick Goode there before Brown.

I have Care as 9 replacement over Laidlaw and still feel should an injury occur to Webb or Murray who will be the Test 9s, that Care will be the bench option over Laidlaw. Some buffoon suggested Philipps might be. decent replacement, obviously that would be nonsense.

I do hope Robert's selection as Wales skipper doesn't interfere with his chances of being selected as centre replacement.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed May 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Gwlad wrote:Just reviewing this as I see we've already had some movement and even though Maitland is out I refuse to add Mike Toys Brown to the list. With Hogg, Half, Williams and Watson I think we have adequate 15 cover anyway. I'll pick Goode there before Brown.

I have Care as 9 replacement over Laidlaw and still feel should an injury occur to Webb or Murray who will be the Test 9s, that Care will be the bench option over Laidlaw. Some buffoon suggested Philipps might be. decent replacement, obviously that would be nonsense.

I do hope Robert's selection as Wales skipper doesn't interfere with his chances of being selected as centre replacement.

Anyone but Roberts. by the sounds of it Ringrose is next in line anyway.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 10, 2017 7:20 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:I do hope Robert's selection as Wales skipper doesn't interfere with his chances of being selected as centre replacement.

Would depend upon which centre was being replaced surely? An injury to Te'o may result in a different replacement than would an injury to JJ.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed May 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Possibly although there are a lot of players that cover multiple positions so may not matter.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed May 10, 2017 8:35 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:I do hope Robert's selection as Wales skipper doesn't interfere with his chances of being selected as centre replacement.

Would depend upon which centre was being replaced surely? An injury to Te'o may result in a different replacement than would an injury to JJ.

If Teo drops out I'd say Dunbar is probably next in line. he also has 100% lineout completion stats.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu May 11, 2017 12:32 am

I just really want Robshaw to get a chance

(without actually wanting any of the current backrowers to get - or remain, given that half of them already are - injured)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 3:31 am

Robshaw is not Lions material. He is a nice bloke and a journeyman flanker but he hasn't ever set the world alight. Nor will he.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu May 11, 2017 3:34 am

Gwlad wrote:Robshaw is not Lions material. He is a nice bloke and a journeyman flanker but he hasn't ever set the world alight. Nor will he.

You are entitled to that opinion kiss
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu May 11, 2017 3:36 am

I mean, I think you're so wrong that you could take that comment, show it to Trump and get a place on his Cabinet, but what would the world be like if we all agreed on everything?

What? Peaceful? Respectful? pah! Boring
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu May 11, 2017 3:37 am

Gwlad wrote:Robshaw is not Lions material. He is a nice bloke and a journeyman flanker but he hasn't ever set the world alight. Nor will he.

As a Scotsman, he would be one of the first backrowers from all the 6 nations I would want to pinch.....

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu May 11, 2017 3:41 am

If not, I'm sure England will be happy to have him Smile
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:I mean, I think you're so wrong that you could take that comment, show it to Trump and get a place on his Cabinet, but what would the world be like if we all agreed on everything?

What? Peaceful? Respectful? pah! Boring

I love that in true Wobshaw fashion you appeared accepting at firsT, then got all hot under the collar and LET ME HAVE IT WITH BOTH BARRELS Laugh

Trump's better than Hillary

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu May 11, 2017 3:57 am

R!skysports wrote:

As a Scotsman, he would be one of the first backrowers from all the 6 nations I would want to pinch.....

Ditto, I'd take him and POM. In a heartbeat.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu May 11, 2017 3:58 am

Nah, I'm accepting your right to have an equally valid opinion as me, whilst emphasising that I still think you are wrong. That fact doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion, nor does it mean that it is any less valid or potentially right than mine.

As for the latter comment, that's a discussion for elsewhere
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu May 11, 2017 4:05 am

Whilst of course, being a bit of a douche and embracing the opportunity for some flippancy whilst I'm doing it
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 4:08 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Whilst of course, being a bit of a douche and embracing the opportunity for some flippancy whilst I'm doing it

Bravo!!!! clap

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu May 11, 2017 4:41 am

Rugby knowledge is proportional with how much you rate Robshaw.

No surprise then that Gwlad who finished roughly bottom of the 6 Nations prediction competition doesn't rate him.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:

You are entitled to that opinion kiss

Well, I'd probably agree with Gwlad on that one. Mind you, we had a whole squad of Journeymen in red jerseys come out last year so he's probably pretty good at recognising them. For him they're probably all around him. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 4:47 am

Scottrf wrote:Rugby knowledge is proportional with how much you rate Robshaw.

No surprise then that Gwlad who finished roughly bottom of the 6 Nations prediction competition doesn't rate him.

Ahhh the World renowned 606v2 6 Nations competition, anyone who seriously puts any weight on performance in said competition is obviously doing better than Chris Robshaw who lead his team to the first ignominious (look it up Scott) failure to qualify of a host RWC Nation from the pool stages, largely by not taking the points to level the game ( Doh )

This is why Welsh players like AWJ who listen to their kickers get selected for Lions tours and Wobshaws dont.

That is all any of us needs to know

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu May 11, 2017 4:58 am

Gwlad wrote:

Ahhh the World renowned 606v2 6 Nations competition, anyone who seriously puts any weight on performance in said competition is obviously doing better than Chris Robshaw who lead his team to the first ignominious (look it up Scott) failure to qualify of a host RWC Nation from the pool stages, largely by not taking the points to level the game ( Doh )

This is why Welsh players like AWJ who listen to their kickers get selected for Lions tours and Wobshaws dont.

Gats kicks players?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 5:01 am

lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Gats kicks players?

No but he gave Mike Brown the boot Laugh Laugh Laugh

I crack myself up

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:13 am

Lifelong England fan. Didn't buy into 2013 lions as seemed too Wales bias. However, lions 13 DVDs delivered today. Just watching the extras and I am proud to have Sam Warburton as Captain.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:15 am

Gwlittlelads still proud to be 5th I see

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 5:17 am

Rugbyjk wrote:Lifelong England fan. Didn't buy into 2013 lions as seemed too Wales bias. However, lions 13 DVDs delivered today. Just watching the extras and I am proud to have Sam Warburton as Captain.

Patronising fair weather fans can stay at home and watch their RWC 2015 dvds. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:20 am

Sad little fella still eh glad? Fairweather? U were where in the 90s?

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:21 am

Did u get any prizes for being 5th btw? Guess u were chuffed with that though.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 5:25 am

Rugbyjk wrote:Did u get any prizes for being 5th btw? Guess u were chuffed with that though.

Oh dear, an England fan talking up RWC, does it get anymore embarrassing. Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:26 am

Yup, being Welsh and thinkn u r any good.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 am

So...six nations. Best keep Italy in, stops u from being last.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 am

Rugbyjk wrote:Yup, being Welsh and thinkn u r any good.

Take the points Rob take the points Doh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:29 am

At least, little brother, u can support a decent team this summer. Nice change? Eh?

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu May 11, 2017 5:35 am

Rugbyjk wrote:At least, little brother, u can support a decent team this summer. Nice change? Eh?

I supported a decent team in 2013 which thanks to Wales brought the plaudits home for everyone. A decent supporter means always being consistent whatever is going on, not being a fair weather fan, something you have admitted you are.

Enjoy the Lions, maybe you'll learn something about support from Sam.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:38 am

Wasn't Fairweather, saw mainly Welsh which was wrong, owing to their superb record v Oz. Luckily the others made the difference. As we are so bad, clearly your coach is wrong taking so many English players? The Welsh will make up the midweek, whom will u support for tests? Abs I bet.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Thu May 11, 2017 5:40 am

Btw FIFTH heh heh heh heh heh heh

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next