The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you ever heard the joke about the blind professional rugby player?

+2
Poorfour
Rory_Gallagher
6 posters

Go down

Have you ever heard the joke about the blind professional rugby player? Empty Have you ever heard the joke about the blind professional rugby player?

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 2 May 2017 - 21:46

Me neither. The real life story is much better though:

http://www.the42.ie/ian-mckinley-italy-leinster-ireland-3369616-May2017/

I'm absolutely delighted for the guy. What a story and what dedication. Playing with one eye in the hardest position on the pitch from a game management perspective. I hope he does manage to get capped. He was seen as the successor to Johnny Sexton when he was at Leinster if I'm not mistaken.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Have you ever heard the joke about the blind professional rugby player? Empty Re: Have you ever heard the joke about the blind professional rugby player?

Post by Poorfour Tue 2 May 2017 - 22:13

I thought you were going to say he applied to be a ref but was turned down for being overqualified...

But a great comeback story. Good luck to him.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Have you ever heard the joke about the blind professional rugby player? Empty Re: Have you ever heard the joke about the blind professional rugby player?

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 2 May 2017 - 22:18

Hahaha now that is funny. I'm not quite so witty sir.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 2 May 2017 - 22:20

Another interesting thing that was not really touched on in the article is that he was forbidden from playing in Ireland with those protection goggles because of certain IRFU safety policies, which was eventually overturned:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/irfu-stance-on-protective-goggles-frustrates-ian-mckinley-1.2391935

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 3 May 2017 - 3:39

Never hered this story before. and in all honesty never hered of him ewither.
 But good luck to him and hope he has a bright future.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 3 May 2017 - 22:53

McKinley was really tipped for big things and imo would have challenged Sexton only for the accident. It's a serious handicap for a 10 and would be an amazing story if he played international rugby.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue 23 May 2017 - 16:38

This is a good story, but it reminded me of the IRFU decision (few years back) to stop a young lad playing wearing specially designed "goggles". A real pity, as this young lad may have missed out on the years that help a kid develop in the game.

Had to Google it, but the story is here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515985/Short-sighted-boy-told-play-rugby-despite-mother-spending-hundreds-pounds-special-glasses.html).

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 23 May 2017 - 17:06

For the last 3 years the RFU has supposedly been trialling goggles but not given a verdict.

We have a number of kids in the minis too young for contact lenses who can't play well without goggles but in theory they aren't allowed to wear them in competition. Safety equipment is developing quickly and we need faster decision-making on using it.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 24 May 2017 - 9:37

I remember him playing against Edinburgh (I think) in the Pro 12 this season. Seemed to be a decent stand off. Edinburgh tend to make anyone look good though to be honest!

Must be ridiculously difficult for him as his depth perception will be affected. if someone is running at him, he won;t know if its a forward who is far away or a back who is closer! Seriously though, touch kicking must be difficult!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down