The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June

+59
Ozzy3213
David-Douglas
majesticimperialman
alfie
Rugby Fan
Rory_Gallagher
international198
SirJohnnyEnglish
Engine#4
Rugbyjk
compelling and rich
LordDowlais
carpet baboon
nathan
Hammersmith harrier
lostinwales
BigTrevsbigmac
RiscaGame
Don Alfonso
BigGee
Luckless Pedestrian
beshocked
chris_501
Sgt_Pooly
Pot Hale
The Great Aukster
munkian
CraigS1874
Exiledinborders
kingelderfield
wayne
eirebilly
marty2086
Cyril
RuggerRadge2611
IanBru
mikey_dragon
GunsGermsV2
EST
tigertattie
Scottrf
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
No 7&1/2
ebop
emack2
Taylorman
rodders
RDW
cascough
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
robbo277
Gwlad
BamBam
propdavid_london
TheMildlyFranticLlama
LondonTiger
aucklandlaurie
Gooseberry
63 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 6 Empty New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June

Post by George Carlin Thu 04 May 2017, 7:08 am

First topic message reminder :

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 6 New_ze10                          New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 6 Lions_10
New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions
3 June 2017
KO: 19:35 NZST (8.35am BST)
Toll Stadium, Whangarei, North Island

Live on Sky Sports, Sky Sports HD and SkyGo

Referee: Angus Gardner (Australia)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. FORM:

These teams have not played each other before.

B. TEAMS:

New Zealand Barbarians 
1. Aidan Ross (Bay of Plenty)
2. Sam Anderson-Heather - captain (Otago)
3. Oliver Jager (Canterbury)
4. Josh Goodhue (Northland)
5. Keepa Mewett (Bay of Plenty)
6. James Tucker (Waikato)
7. Lachlan Boshier (Taranaki)
8. Mitchell Dunshea (Canterbury)

9. Jack Stratton (Canterbury)
10. Bryn Gatland (North Harbour)
11. Sevu Reece (Waikato)
12. Dwayne Sweeney (Waikato)
13. Inga Finau (Canterbury)
14. Sam Vaka (Counties Manukau)
15. Luteru Laulala (Counties Manukau)

16. Andrew Makalio (Tasman)
17. Tolu Fahamokioa (Wellington)
18. Marcel Renata (Auckland)
19. Matt Matich (Northland)
20. Peter Rowe - vice captain (Wanganui)
21. Richard Judd (Bay of Plenty)
22. Jonah Lowe (Hawke's Bay)
23. Junior Ngaluafe (Southland)

British & Irish Lions
15. S Hogg (Scotland)
14. A Watson
13. J Joseph
12. B Te'o (all Eng)
11. T Seymour (Sco)
10. J Sexton (Ire)
09. G Laidlaw (Sco)

01. J Marler (Eng)
02. R Best (Ire)
03. K Sinckler (Eng)
04. A Jones (Wal)
05. I Henderson (Ire)
06. R Moriarty
07. S Warburton
08. T Faletau (all Wal)

16. J George
17. M Vunipola (both Eng)
18. T Furlong (Ire)
19. G Kruis (Eng)
20. J Tipuric
21. R Webb (both Wal)
22. O Farrell (Eng)
23. J Payne (Ire)

C. PREVIEW

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 8:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 6 Empty Re: New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June

Post by Guest Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

Great Aukster - why the hell are you watching this? You hate the Lions! You should be banned from viewing!

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 6 Empty Re: New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June

Post by compelling and rich Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

toby been a lot quieter this half

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:17 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Been disappointed in the scrum - 2 international front rows should be dominating.

To be fair a NH ref probably would have given some more penalties instead of letting it go.

It's supposed to be a Barbarians game - the ref is trying to let things flow.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:18 am

This is the first game. They're 3 sleeps off the plane and its all a bit new. Patience is required even if time is against us.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:20 am

kingelderfield wrote:This is the first game. They're 3 sleeps off the plane and its all a bit new. Patience is required even if time is against us.

Squad full of international players against a team that are 3 levels under them. The Lions have also had more time together than the NZPB...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:21 am

Scrum has been underwhelming, its one area I thought we'd dominate from.the off.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:22 am

compelling and rich wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:itoje and kruis look a shoe in for the tests at the minute. henderson for lauchbury isnt looking like a good choice

I think that would have been most people's choice. Kruis and Itoje are one of the best 2nd rows' I've seen - they do everything extremely well.

agreed, but still think gats would like awj in there

On the bench perhaps, but I don't think he'll start ahead of Itoje/Kruis on current form, even Gatland knows that. I know you all hate AWJ but the truth is he isn't the one who should have been left at home for Launchbury, that should've been Henderson.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:23 am

Squeeky bum time!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:24 am

This is all rather depressing. Gonna be a very very long tour.

Absolutely toothless in attack.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:24 am

AWJ has been beyond awful.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:25 am

Griff wrote:Great Aukster - why the hell are you watching this? You hate the Lions! You should be banned from viewing!

Griff - where have I said I hate the Lions? They are a bunch of guys trying to make as much money as they can - pretty much the same as most people on the planet.

What I hate is the damage caused to NH rugby by these tours. If I didn't watch it, how could I comment?

This game is supposedly the 'easiest' on tour, but in truth it is two scratch teams with massive pressure on one and free licence for the other. Would any of the home teams hammer this side - absolutely.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:25 am

Don't worry lads, it's a cunning plan.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:26 am

Have to say, enjoyed that far more than a 60-0 hockeying.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:26 am

Not a great start. Things can only get better!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:26 am

very long tour ahead

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:26 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Scrum has been underwhelming, its one area I thought we'd dominate from.the off.
I'm glad you mentioned that Sgt_Pooly
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:27 am

Well that was grim.

I agree there shouldn't be too big an over reaction to this - talk of players playing themselves out of test contention is probably premature, but feck me a number of those players will only have one more chance after this!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

There are some positives from this. Best Bar One dodgy lineout was good, 3 turnovers. Faletau was very good in first half. Bench made a very positive impact. Chances created that would be finished on another day. Solid scrum....until mako came on at least! It's not the fact that they're a scratch side but that a few of these guys will be suffering het lag as well. They'll get better.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

Win is a win but everyone knows that standards have to improve.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

Pretty pleased with that? Ffs

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:29 am

ebop wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Scrum has been underwhelming, its one area I thought we'd dominate from.the off.
I'm glad you mentioned that Sgt_Pooly

I'm hoping it gets stronger as the tour progresses but I'm disappointed with that effort. Sink isn't a big scrummager and Mako either so not our strongest combo's, still disappointing though.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:29 am

Scottrf wrote:Pretty pleased with that? Ffs

just thinking that, its the only thing he could say aswell

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:31 am

Ive seen Farrell be critical of his own performance after winning titles. I dont like being accepting of rubbish.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:31 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I suppose it is a bit of a lose-lose situation for these players - if they run rampant people will write it off against poor opposition, if they struggle to gel and only get a 20 point win (which could happen) people will say they've blown their chances!

Sorry RDW! But it was even worse than what you thought could be considered a bad day at the office!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:32 am

People will bitch whatever he says to be honest.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:33 am

Sexton is simply off form and carrying a niggle, should not have started and he hampered the Lions in the first half.

Henderson, simply poor in defence. Not sure how many missed tackles he had. Said in the original selection that he was very lucky to be there. Cant see him playing any part in the tests.

AWJ, looked very rusty but looks like he is making progress to get back to his best.

Hogg, as usual he was good in attack (bad pass excluded) but in defence he looked average. Would like to see Williams play there next game.

Te'o, he makes ground with every carry but he does not seem to link well with his 13.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:33 am

Jet lag from first class flights 4 days later? Give me a break.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:33 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

People will bitch whatever he says to be honest.

cant see how anyone could be happy with that performance and i would deride anyone who said it

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:35 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
Griff wrote:Great Aukster - why the hell are you watching this? You hate the Lions! You should be banned from viewing!

Griff - where have I said I hate the Lions? They are a bunch of guys trying to make as much money as they can - pretty much the same as most people on the planet.

What I hate is the damage caused to NH rugby by these tours. If I didn't watch it, how could I comment?

This game is supposedly the 'easiest' on tour, but in truth it is two scratch teams with massive pressure on one and free licence for the other. Would any of the home teams hammer this side - absolutely.

In the lead up to the tour over the past few months you've been very vocal about being anti-Lions. Just seems odd that you'd then watch it. Stick to your guns!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:36 am

Scottrf wrote:Jet lag from first class flights 4 days later? Give me a break.

When I last had jetlag it took me 14 days to get over it, and that was just a 6 hour difference.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:38 am

Sinckler showed what he can ball in hand. Best was a pest at the breakdown. Faletau was the Lions man of the match seemed to be everywhere. Teo carried very well and showed a few nice offloads. Seymour picked some good lines and looked good off limited ball. 

Neither starting 2nd row did themselves any favours. Poor start off mistakes from Henderson and some poor tackle attempts from AWJ. Laidlaws service is to slow for the tests. All Blacks blitz to fast for him. Sextons timing was off and a few poor kicks. Hoggs one up tackling was shown up at times & Watsons support lines were very poor. 

Biggest concern was how narrow Lions got caught on defence at times. One ball over the top and Barbarians were making 20/30 metres at a time.

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:39 am

There were a few individual errors, a dodgy line out from Best, Hogg not collecting the ball properly, Sexton kicking it out on the full, Sinckler taking a tap and go and Farrell hitting the post.

We gave away a lot of penalties, our scrum didn't dominate and Hogg threw a poor pass to Watson in a 2 on 1. Even if he hadn't and that try went through I am really worried about our attacking shape/game plan or lack of it.

Teo carried well, Faletau was outstanding going forward but we looked absolutely clueless going through the phases. That is more worrying than the individual errors. Watson and Joseph lethal for England. Hogg and Seymour predatory for Scotland. Something is amiss.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:40 am

Only positive we can take from this is, that we probably learned more about ourselves than we would have if we had given them a 30 point tonking.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

eirebilly wrote:Sexton is simply off form and carrying a niggle, should not have started and he hampered the Lions in the first half.

Henderson, simply poor in defence. Not sure how many missed tackles he had. Said in the original selection that he was very lucky to be there. Cant see him playing any part in the tests.

AWJ, looked very rusty but looks like he is making progress to get back to his best.

Hogg, as usual he was good in attack (bad pass excluded) but in defence he looked average. Would like to see Williams play there next game.

Te'o, he makes ground with every carry but he does not seem to link well with his 13.

His defence was fine - he'll be most disappointed with the stupid mistakes he made. Hopefully he's just getting them out his system!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

eirebilly wrote:Sexton is simply off form and carrying a niggle, should not have started and he hampered the Lions in the first half.

Hogg was good defensively tonight. He faced 2 2 on one's and made his tackle every time. Faletau made it back to cover one and Seymour the other. Hogg did pretty well today, apart from one poor pass to Watson and failing to gather a grubber.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:42 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

When I last had jetlag it took me 14 days to get over it, and that was just a 6 hour difference.
Jesus you must be in poor shape. Flew back from the US recently after sleeping a couple of hours a day for a few days and was in work the next day.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:43 am

Griff wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:

In the lead up to the tour over the past few months you've been very vocal about being anti-Lions. Just seems odd that you'd then watch it. Stick to your guns!

I prefer to comment from an informed position, but I understand a lot of people can't be bothered with facts.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:43 am

Faletau, for me was the best player on the field for the Lions. A quieter second half but was at the heart of all things good in the first half.

Moriarty, pushed Faletau for best Lions player, did not look out of his depth and made some very good runs.

Watson, thought he looked very lively when given a chance. The Lions have to get the wings into the game more.

Laidlaw, I did not think he was too bad in fairness. Few odd moments but thought his game management was strong. Had no help from Sexton in the first half.

Sinkler, I thought he was good in the loose but was not good in the scrum.

Farrall, missed a penalty but had a great kick from the touch line after the try. I thought he brought a lot more balance to the attack when he came on.

Not all doom and gloom but by god, there is a lot of work to do. Gatland does not have an easy job between now and Wednesday.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:48 am

Scottrf wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Jesus you must be in poor shape. Flew back from the US recently after sleeping a couple of hours a day for a few days and was in work the next day.

Poor shape? I've just never been a good sleeper and can only get in 6-7 hours per night but I'm able to function with that. I was in Mexico and for the opening 4 days I was getting up every morning between 3-5am - oh boy I was tired in the evenings and missed a couple good nights of clubbing! So credit to rugby players who deal with jet lag often, especially after 3 days.

*I can't sleep while travelling on a plane - might be able to in first class but I guess I'll never know...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:51 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Poor shape? I've just never been a good sleeper and can only get in 6-7 hours per night but I'm able to function with that. I was in Mexico and for the opening 4 days I was getting up every morning between 3-5am - oh boy I was tired in the evenings and missed a couple good nights of clubbing! So credit to rugby players who deal with jet lag often, especially after 3 days.

*I can't sleep while travelling on a plane - might be able to in first class but I guess I'll never know...

I'm a lot like that too.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:53 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

One time flying back from Canada I was very very very lucky. The plane was very crowded and I got bumped up to first. It makes a big difference.

As for jet lag in general it is something that is much better understood than it used to be and I found I also got a lot more used to it with practice. Its going to hit some players a lot more than others

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:54 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Hogg was good defensively tonight. He faced 2 2 on one's and made his tackle every time. Faletau made it back to cover one and Seymour the other. Hogg did pretty well today, apart from one poor pass to Watson and failing to gather a grubber.

RDW_Scotland wrote:

His defence was fine - he'll be most disappointed with the stupid mistakes he made. Hopefully he's just getting them out his system!

He did hold his line well when the NZPB's looked like scoring but I felt his positioning was all over the show today. Not something I normally see from him. Still a major threat in the counter attack.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:56 am

eirebilly wrote:

Moriarty, pushed Faletau for best Lions player, did not look out of his depth and made some very good runs.

Beshocked...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 10:58 am

eirebilly wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

RDW_Scotland wrote:

He did hold his line well when the NZPB's looked like scoring but I felt his positioning was all over the show today. Not something I normally see from him. Still a major threat in the counter attack.

I think Gatland junior can take a lot of credit for that - his variety of kicking kept our back 3 moving

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:01 am

The Babarians looked very good. I wouldn't mind if the Scarlets signed Bryn Gatland.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:02 am

That may be so RDW but I do think that Hogg was too easily exposed in his defensive positioning today.

Anyway, he was by far not the worst player on the field.

On other sites I see Laidlaw getting lots of flaq. I actually think he had a decent game, Sexton was all over the show and prevented him from getting quick ball to him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:02 am

Hogg was at fault for their try, he should have commanded that high ball put into out 22. But as always he just made a feeble attempt at jumping at it, he does not fill me with confidence when under pressure, yes, he is a joy to watch when he has the ball in his hands and he is running, but I do not rate the other area's of his game.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

Beshocked...

Not sure what his speciality is just yet so I am no Beshocked Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:09 am

lostinwales wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

One time flying back from Canada I was very very very lucky. The plane was very crowded and I got bumped up to first. It makes a big difference.

As for jet lag in general it is something that is much better understood than it used to be and I found I also got a lot more used to it with practice. Its going to hit some players a lot more than others

You weren't flying with UA that's for sure.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:14 am

eirebilly wrote:That may be so RDW but I do think that Hogg was too easily exposed in his defensive positioning today.

Anyway, he was by far not the worst player on the field.

On other sites I see Laidlaw getting lots of flaq. I actually think he had a decent game, Sexton was all over the show and prevented him from getting quick ball to him.

I thought Laidlaw did fine too - he's a controlling 9 and that's exactly what he did, and was far more controlled than Sexton!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next