The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rome

+16
Matchpoint
Belovedluckyboy
laverfan
slashermcguirk
naxroy
JuliusHMarx
LuvSports!
Calder106
sirfredperry
Jermaine2015
barrystar
temporary21
banbrotam
ChequeredJersey
summerblues
Guest82
20 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rome - Page 2 Empty Rome

Post by Guest82 Sat 13 May 2017, 11:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Interesting draw.

Murray v Fognini round 2
Dimitrov v Del Potro round 1
Djokovic v Kyrgios round 3

Murray/Stan in top half. Djokovic/Nadal in bottom half.
Projected qf
Murray v Raonic
Stan v Cilic
Nadal v Thiem
Djokovic v Nishikori

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Rome

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 19 May 2017, 5:26 pm

As long as Rafa moves forward, he usually wins the point. In BO5, Thiem is not going to hit or play like that all day; as long as Rafa is not hurt, he will not let anything like that of Sod in 2009 happens again.

It will be interesting to see Thiem vs Delpo, and see who wins the hard hitting contest.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Fri 19 May 2017, 5:31 pm

Excellent efforts, Thiem! He was better than Nadal in this match in every aspect of the game. I saw the potential for an upset but didn't expect a straight set victory over an in-form, fully fit, injury-free Nadal. I guess so much clay time is catching up with him? But this maybe just a temporary lapse. Nadal is still the favourite for FO next week, I think.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 5:38 pm

Rafa doesn't need anymore wins. His form and aura have been well and truly reinvigorated 

He now gets what's more important. Some rest for a surely weary body

He's the clear clear favourite for rg. His body is his main competition

Otherwise we're saying He wouldn't be unless he won every single clay
 match.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 19 May 2017, 5:45 pm

Thiem wins Roland Garros 2017 if he has no injuries.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 May 2017, 6:51 pm

Well won, Thiem, went full Soderling. Rafa will win RG though, there's a big difference between winning once playing lights out tennis and repeating it at RG
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 May 2017, 6:54 pm

Having said that, Thiem will win RG at least once. Just not this year
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 6:58 pm

Anyway how about isner! Nice to see him back he's been a little awol recently

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 6:58 pm

When Rafa calls it a day. He's going to be the best placed man to win rg of all the new guys

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 May 2017, 6:59 pm

temporary21 wrote:Rafa doesn't need anymore wins. His form and aura have been well and truly reinvigorated 

He now gets what's more important. Some rest for a surely weary body

He's the clear clear favourite for rg. His body is his main competition

Otherwise we're saying He wouldn't be unless he won every single clay
 match.

Yeah. Rafa has rarely cleanswept the red clay, but he still has 9 FO titles
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 19 May 2017, 7:02 pm

Thiem could have lost before making it deep at the FO too; he was saving MPs after MPs in his matches, vs Dimi and vs Querrey; he needs to survive the early rounds first before getting to win the title.

It's not like Thiem was all conquering during his matches; it's just that he's facing a more weary Rafa here than the one at Madrid and Barcelona. Also, Thiem was going all out to blow Rafa off the court, but I'm surprised Rafa still made it 6-4,6-3 and not 6-1, 6-2! I wonder how much energy Thiem has now, to face his next opponent - Djoko or Delpo.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 7:09 pm

Rafa also lost to Ferrero in Rome in 08.  Unless he's hurt himself its not a big deal 

Big deal to theim though

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 May 2017, 9:12 pm

Belovedluckyboy wrote:Thiem could have lost before making it deep at the FO too; he was saving MPs after MPs in his matches, vs Dimi and vs Querrey; he needs to survive the early rounds first before getting to win the title. ...
On the other hand, that gives him the experience and the memory to pull through at key moments and there is nothing more crucial than saving match points. The more I hear others talk about Thiem, the more he seems like a future grand slam winner - at least on the clay, and less like a "bottler".

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 9:23 pm

Apologies 
When did theim bottle anything?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri 19 May 2017, 9:27 pm

Thiem has got previous as a bottler. His break point conversion is generally really bad. Just recently he's started winning tight matches, which is good. Also today was a big step forward...he's played at a similar level to Nadal (except for the second set in Barcelona) and hadn't won a set. Broken at 4-4, lost a tie break having had set point etc. So really think today was a big win for him.

I'm a massive Thiem fan and think he's very likely to win slams in the future, especially at RG. He seems to be someone that learns from his previous matches which is a good sign.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 9:32 pm

That's not bottling. Losing a close tiebreak or tight set is just tennis

Especially when you're playing one of the best clutch players

If he was losing from 2 sets up all the time sure ... but he doesnt

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 19 May 2017, 9:38 pm

LuvSports! wrote:What say you now Haddie!? Very Happy

Not sure what you expect my response to be tbh.  I'm not surprised I didn't think Rafa played his best against Jack Sock;  he wasn't playing as aggressive as he did in Madrid and another match with Thiem so soon put him under pressure. I wasn't surprised at the result I half expected that Thiem would find the way to beat him this time..  I am not sorry that Rafa has a bit of breathing space I would not have been too sorry if he had missed Rome altogether. A good win by Thiem in any event... so LS was that what you were expecting or have I been a disappointment yet again Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 9:40 pm

They're just winding you up a bit haddie. Don't let em

Good set by Novak. Step by step...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 19 May 2017, 9:41 pm

Wow, best set I have seen from Djokovic since French open last year. Playing with far more confidence, hopefully he can keep this level going. His ball striking much better off both wings.

Hopefully not a one off

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 9:42 pm

Rain... b@llockd

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 9:47 pm

Miles too wet. This might get suspended till tomorrow

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 19 May 2017, 10:09 pm

Nope

Nadal is too old to win GS now he is older than Federer when you add up his intensity of play.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:22 pm

Losing from 2 sets up I would call choking. I call bottling not producing the same level when it really matters - like set points and break points.

Hopefully Thiem is putting it all behind him now.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:34 pm

I've never heard of theim being specifically bad in the clutch. He's not got results to suggest he sucks at it. He's quite successful. He was clutch last week too

So he's gone from a bottler to turning a page in his career in less than a week?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:37 pm

Anyway. Does anyone speak enough Italian to know the deal with this match? Is it off till tomorrow ?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 19 May 2017, 10:41 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:What say you now Haddie!? Very Happy

Not sure what you expect my response to be tbh.  I'm not surprised I didn't think Rafa played his best against Jack Sock;  he wasn't playing as aggressive as he did in Madrid and another match with Thiem so soon put him under pressure. I wasn't surprised at the result I half expected that Thiem would find the way to beat him this time..  I am not sorry that Rafa has a bit of breathing space I would not have been too sorry if he had missed Rome altogether. A good win by Thiem in any event... so LS was that what you were expecting or have I been a disappointment yet again Smile

Not a disappointment, but you sort of wrote him off in the past.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:51 pm

Sort of?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:55 pm

Ok looks like in the schedule it's been set for tomorrow first up. The winner has to play two matches

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 19 May 2017, 11:25 pm

Yes Temp.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 20 May 2017, 12:24 am

Care to explain at all?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 20 May 2017, 12:52 am

During Thiem's match with Murray in Barca, Haddie said the jury is out for her on Thiem and that until he beats rafa on clay he won't be in with a shout for FO, even though he had already lost to Thiem in Buenos Aires last year.
So was simply responding to that. I'm a big Thiem fan you see.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 20 May 2017, 1:23 am

Yay!  That was cool.

I agree with those who think this means almost zilch for RG and that it may even be good for Rafa as he gets more time to rest, but still, it is a rare ray of sunshine in this dark and stormy clay court season.

I have not seen the match - will try to watch at least some of it later, but was it more a case of Thiem playing well or was Rafa playing poorly (tired, if not outright tanking it)?

Still Barca-Madrid-Rome has been a nice succession:

Barca: Thiem is holding up ok until 4:4 in the first set. but then loses the set and falls apart in the second.

Madrid:  Even closer first set with a real chance to take it, and then a very respectable second set.

Rome:  A victory!!!

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 20 May 2017, 1:39 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
summerblues wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:O it will be interesting come what may.. however you could try your prayer mat yet again Novak needs the help :angel Wink
I am taking my prayer mat back for a refund tomorrow, and getting a new one for Rome and RG.

Yes I would if I were you ... did you have it pointing in the right direction... Whistle

Rafa is on fire .. sorry but you will have to get a bigger one for RG Wink
My new mat is much better already!  I just hope that it is also good for five sets.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 20 May 2017, 7:03 am

LuvSports! wrote:During Thiem's match with Murray in Barca, Haddie said the jury is out for her on Thiem and that until he beats rafa on clay he won't be in with a shout for FO, even though he had already lost to Thiem in Buenos Aires last year.

Yes Ill hold my hands up to that one.. but he did not beat this years Rafa, only last year's (Smile a somewhat different animal. However I am impressed with Thiem if for only one reason,.. he is the only one of the younger generation that shows the grit and determination of those at the top. The rest whilst having the necessary tennis skills do not, as yet, show they have the mind set to be another Rafa, Federer Djoko ...or even Andy. The have one or two good spells but never enough to make the final hurdle.. however in Thiem I do see a future champion..And you are also correct in saying I had, almost, written Rafa off.. but you see he displayed exactly the qualities Ive just mentioned... a stickatit and never give up which is the marks of a champion.
So LS there is my confession Smile and I agree Thiem is a tough little cookie. !!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 20 May 2017, 7:09 am

summerblues wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
summerblues wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:O it will be interesting come what may.. however you could try your prayer mat yet again Novak needs the help :angel Wink
I am taking my prayer mat back for a refund tomorrow, and getting a new one for Rome and RG.

Yes I would if I were you ... did you have it pointing in the right direction... Whistle

My new mat is much better already!  I just hope that it is also good for five sets.

I did say everything comes to those who wait.. I'm so glad your new mat worked for you ..but be warned some of these "cheap" mats are only good for one use. You need It to be much better if it is to last for five sets Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 20 May 2017, 9:52 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:During Thiem's match with Murray in Barca, Haddie said the jury is out for her on Thiem and that until he beats rafa on clay he won't be in with a shout for FO, even though he had already lost to Thiem in Buenos Aires last year.

Yes Ill hold my hands up to that one.. but he did not beat this years Rafa, only last year's (Smile a somewhat different animal. However I am impressed with Thiem if for only one reason,.. he is the only one of the younger generation that shows the grit and determination of those at the top. The rest whilst having the necessary tennis skills do not, as yet, show they have the mind set to be another Rafa, Federer Djoko ...or even Andy.  The have one or two good spells but never enough to make the final hurdle.. however in Thiem I do see a future champion..And you are also correct in saying I had, almost, written Rafa off.. but you see he displayed exactly the qualities Ive just mentioned... a stickatit and never give up which is the marks of a champion.
So LS there is my confession Smile  and I agree Thiem is a tough little cookie. !!

Haha. I still think Rafa will win in 3, tops 4 if they meet at RG so I think you can look forward to #15 soon!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 20 May 2017, 10:10 am

Haddie is entirely right 

Theim never beat Rafa at a clay masters which meant he was still a ways to being a threat at rg .He's put himself on the radar by doing so

We'd be stupid to think it's the same as beating him at rg though 

Still think people need to look up what bottling means. It doesn't mean lose to rafael nadal in a tight competitive match

Else almost everyone is a bottler

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 20 May 2017, 1:28 pm

Oh vintage Novak to restart

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 20 May 2017, 2:37 pm

summerblues wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
summerblues wrote:

RG is a long and gruelling tournament and it is likely that your prayer mat will be quite worn out and ineffective by the end.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 20 May 2017, 2:38 pm

Great clay season by Thiem.

No huge deal for Rafa. To be extremely nitpicky I think it would have been better an early exit at Madrid and then go into FO on the back of a win at Rome.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 20 May 2017, 5:06 pm

Djoko beats delpo and will face Thiem tonight. Meanwhile, Zverev overcomes Isner in three to make the final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 20 May 2017, 5:29 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Great clay season by Thiem.

No huge deal for Rafa. To be extremely nitpicky I think it would have been better an early exit at Madrid and then go into FO on the back of a win at Rome.

Rafa early exit in Madrid Yikes  you are kidding.. the Spanish wins mean the world to him.. He should have missed Rome ..this tournament has always been questionable as far as Toni is concerned I believe

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 May 2017, 5:44 pm

Hmmm Djokovic's straight sets demolition of Del Potro plus vague reports that he is hitting top form - suggests something might be beginning to click with Djokovic.  If so - then he might snuff out the resurgence of Nadal and Federer - but only time will tell.   The match between in form Thiem should be illustrative as to where this is all heading. It is still difficult to believe that Djokovic has cleared out his whole coaching team - he must have some form of team around him to sort out his health and training regime (??)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 May 2017, 5:50 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Djoko beats delpo and will face Thiem tonight. Meanwhile, Zverev overcomes Isner in three to make the final.
Zverev is continuing to progress. He should be getting into fourth rounds and higher at grand slams soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 20 May 2017, 7:30 pm

Djokovic haters sweatin

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 20 May 2017, 7:33 pm

Djoko looking pretty solid so far - much closer to his usual standard than last week.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 20 May 2017, 7:34 pm

Oh boy. This is amazing stuff

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 20 May 2017, 7:42 pm

That was pretty impressive from Novak.  Maybe Novak's (and Andy's?) main problem is motivation.  You chase something all your life, and then - when you are pushing 30 - you ultimately do it (RG for Novak, No1 for Andy), it may be hard to keep the focus going.

And maybe the (pathetic) loss to Nadal last week was the wake-up call he needed.  I can see how a loss to Nadal could annoy him much more than losses to the likes of Goffin or Kyrgios, or even Andy.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 20 May 2017, 7:44 pm

Getcha bets for rg at the ready.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 20 May 2017, 7:48 pm

Oh what a pass. Literally only Djokovic can do that

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 20 May 2017, 7:53 pm

Thiem a little more solid now. Hopefully he can improve a little and at least keep it respectable.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next