The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

+68
Poorfour
Hero
Scottrff
Mr Bounce
formerly known as Sam
wayne
tigertattie
Mad for Chelsea
rapidsnowman
IanBru
Cyril
carpet baboon
Geordie
munkian
hugehandoff
David-Douglas
prop_lyd
TJ
eirebilly
mikey_dragon
SirJohnnyEnglish
MichaelT
lostinwales
majesticimperialman
robbo277
RDW
Scottrf
beshocked
SamTheQuin
profitius
chris_501
No 7&1/2
Rory_Gallagher
Gwlad
Exiledinborders
tazfalklands
screamingaddabs
RiscaGame
funnyExiledScot
Rugby Fan
aucklandlaurie
EST
propdavid_london
alive555
TightHEAD
cascough
BigTrevsbigmac
WELL-PAST-IT
geoff999rugby
LondonTiger
Luckless Pedestrian
Gooseberry
BamBam
George Carlin
Totalflanker
king_carlos
Taylorman
The Great Aukster
ChequeredJersey
Sgt_Pooly
R!skysports
RuggerRadge2611
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
marty2086
Hammersmith harrier
Winzer
GunsGermsV2
72 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017 - Page 20 Empty British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Guest Tue 09 May 2017, 1:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

robbo277 wrote:
But as I said, I don't want players to water down their comments. I want to read what the players think, I don't want to read what the press officer tells them to say.

That's fair enough, and I agree with the rest of your comment on this basis. I personally don't particularly care what Mike Brown thinks, especially when it's as obvious as "experienced test player is disappointed to have not been selected for the Lions". I could have told you that without Mike Brown's public statement. The point where it deviated from him merely expressing his disappointment to one where he's put his foot in his mouth is the fact he questioned the coaches' lack of communication to him personally. Even if he's right- and I think he may well be- to publicly bring that into question in the way he has done is antithetical to the whole business of a squad as a unity, a whole above the self.

As for him being a liability, I agree to an extent, but equally he does get in his fair few verbal and physical scraps. He's clearly not a player who's particularly in control of his emotions, a bit like Biggar, in that he wants to plead his case long after it is obvious his efforts are utterly in vain. He's not a catastrophe by any means, but having played with people like him, they can be liabilities. Ticking time bomb may be the incorrect phrase, and overdoing it slightly, but that doesn't negate the point entirely. Either way, it doesn't particularly matter, as I don't think it really affects his performance or mentality, and the players around him, too much: but if it did, it's hard to quantify anyway.

Back to top Go down

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017 - Page 20 Empty Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by TightHEAD Wed 31 May 2017, 12:47 pm

Are you sure?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017 - Page 20 Empty Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 31 May 2017, 3:14 pm

Griff wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:North had it written into his contract that he could miss northampton games for wales. Presumably you feel he's letting his saints team mates down as wales chase the cash for additional games outside the international window.

Plus, let's not forget players who are 'owned' (at least in part) by the union and are limited on the number of games they play each season, which invariably means that their club games are limited to maximise the international games they play. There's been a number of Irish players in this camp over the years, amongst others of course.

If Wales choose to "chase the cash" outside International windows then they must do so with players who are available and that excludes those who do not have release clauses with their clubs. Therefore Wales are effectively devaluing Test rugby by fielding a team from a restricted pool that is really Wales Lite - not Wales.

So yes North is letting his Saints teammates down if he chooses to play for Wales Lite rather than his club. World Rugby realises that Test rugby can't have unfettered access to club players which is why they have International windows in the first place.

If North sustains a season ending injury with the Lions he is letting both his club and Welsh teammates down. The Lions is not a country that have invested in him to win World Cups. The Lions is not a club that sustain his livelihood year after year. Risking both for personal aggrandisement with a fantasy team should be much lower priority than Country or club even if there is no clash of fixtures.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 31 May 2017, 3:22 pm

The lions is a team which is rarer and is investing in players to win a seriously hard tour. You just place more emphasis on your country and province which is fair enough. Others as I've said don't.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 31 May 2017, 3:29 pm

Taylorman wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Club rugby whether professional or amateur represents the area where they are based. Halfpenny represents Toulon and gets well paid to do so. To turn his back on his TEAM in their most important game of the year is against the very traditions of the game.
A club final means a lot to those supporters who have followed their team week in week out through thick and thin. The betrayal of his team for thirty pieces of silver is indefensible.

What a load of rubbish. Only reason hes there is because bouj pays more money.
Which part is rubbish? That he is contracted to Toulon or that he doesn't care about his teammates?

Taylorman wrote:Do you really think these guys hearts are in playing with a bunch of money grabbers from all over the world to play in the back blocks of France for a few locals they neither know nor care about?
And you know this how? The majority of imports are from the SH so does this mean SANZAR are producing mercenaries who don't care about their teammates? I think you are doing a disservice to the majority of them and am fairly sure Jonny Wilkinson would disagree with you.

Taylorman wrote:There is honour in playing for a tradtion like the Lions, more so than fir a money grabbing mercenary outfit like Toulon, who offer nothing to the rugby of the areas of the players they steal from.

So stff them. That aint real rugby, its two bit imitation of the baabaas in wolfs clothing.

At least halfpenny knows where his rugby priorities lie.
Where is the honour in leaving your teammates high and dry in the most important game of the season. Where is the honour in taking money from a pointless marketing jamboree and risking your career with club and country. The honourable position would be to favour the club that has favoured you and support the Nation that has developed and supported you. Toulon took years to win anything despite their stellar cast, whereas the Lions have three games to become a team - perhaps the All Blacks should be considering whether there is any honour in perpetuating a 'tradition' that is now so heavily weighted in their favour? ... of course any such consideration would only last a nanosecond before greed overcame it.

The Barbarians are a true tradition of rugby - charitable, playing uncapped players, playing to entertain the crowd, shunning points etc. or in other words about as far away from Toulon as it's possible to get. The Lions on the other hand are drawn from the biggest playing pool in the world, with supposedly the best players competing fiercely amongst themselves for a start in a marketing juggernaut. Fans and players didn't like Alastair Campbell being part of the last tour because it reminded everyone how far the Lions had fallen from their corinthian roots.
The Lions shirt is only a slightly different shade of red to Toulon's, but that doesn't mean that Halfpenny should think it's OK to swap one "money grabbing mercenary outfit like Toulon" for another like the Lions.

Well I think you're just being a bit of a Lions party pooper. Looking at the fans arriving they look quite clear about what is priority here. No one will be talking about Toulon in a few weeks, where this series will produce yet again some memories and stories that will be relayed long down the years.

If Toulon win there might be a few talking about it in a couple of weeks but I agree it will be old news. The debate that you've ignored (or are incapable of arguing) is whether it is morally right for Halfpenny to abandon his team in their biggest game of the season. Culturally the last thing I would expect a NZ player to do is risk adversely affecting the All Blacks or secondly abandon his 'super club' side to line out for a SH fantasy team (if one existed). Why is it OK for Halfpenny to do so?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 31 May 2017, 3:31 pm

TightHEAD wrote:1 Scot, 5 Irish, 5 English, 4 Welsh

I just see 15 Lions.  

Shouldn't that be 10 British and 5 Irish Lions?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 31 May 2017, 3:32 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:...
If Toulon win there might be a few talking about it in a couple of weeks but I agree it will be old news. The debate that you've ignored (or are incapable of arguing) is whether it is morally right for Halfpenny to abandon his team in their biggest game of the season. Culturally the last thing I would expect a NZ player to do is risk adversely affecting the All Blacks or secondly abandon his 'super club' side to line out for a SH fantasy team (if one existed). Why is it OK for Halfpenny to do so?

Fundamentally, if such a SH all-star team existed, the SH administrators would be smart enough to schedule its matches not to clash in the 1st place Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 31 May 2017, 3:49 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:The lions is a team which is rarer and is investing in players to win a seriously hard tour. You just place more emphasis on your country and province which is fair enough. Others as I've said don't.

How are the Lions "investing in players"? Investment implies taking a chance today with the hope there might be some return in the future. The 'rarity' of the Lions means there is no future, because most picks don't have serial tours. If they were truly "investing" then they would take far more players ala SCW who would learn from the experience. They don't because they aren't interested in the players, just winning.

The Lions is paying players to win a seriously hard tour. Nothing more and nothing less - that's what it is and that's also fine. The investment is in keeping the Brand going so making sure that there will be another payday in four years. The Lions can't afford repeated humiliation as per the noughties so I expect the investment in players will be restricted to their paycheque, possible win bonus and a loud voice reminding them this is their Armageddon.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 31 May 2017, 3:55 pm

So just like the club's then.this is the professional age and the biggest brand in the rugby world clearly fihts in with it. You don't like it don't watch though.you've professed to be a fan previously. No player is forced to take part and we've had refusals in the past.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 31 May 2017, 4:00 pm

I wish we would stop arguing amongst ourselves and remember together, we're stronger, we join and proud we stand, now the day has come, we are one

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 31 May 2017, 4:03 pm

marty2086 wrote:I wish we would stop arguing amongst ourselves and remember together, we're stronger, we join and proud we stand, now the day has come, we are one
Power of Four and Ireland's Call are very similar lyrics-wise Whistle

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 31 May 2017, 4:09 pm

Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:I wish we would stop arguing amongst ourselves and remember together, we're stronger, we join and proud we stand, now the day has come, we are one
Power of Four and Ireland's Call are very similar lyrics-wise Whistle

Ireland and the Lions are very similar too, a unified team from 4 regions based out of Dublin

Bloody Brits copying us Whistle

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 31 May 2017, 11:06 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:The lions is a team which is rarer and is investing in players to win a seriously hard tour. You just place more emphasis on your country and province which is fair enough. Others as I've said don't.

How are the Lions "investing in players"? Investment implies taking a chance today with the hope there might be some return in the future. The 'rarity' of the Lions means there is no future, because most picks don't have serial tours. If they were truly "investing" then they would take far more players ala SCW who would learn from the experience. They don't because they aren't interested in the players, just winning.

The Lions is paying players to win a seriously hard tour. Nothing more and nothing less - that's what it is and that's also fine. The investment is in keeping the Brand going so making sure that there will be another payday in four years. The Lions can't afford repeated humiliation as per the noughties so I expect the investment in players will be restricted to their paycheque, possible win bonus and a loud voice reminding them this is their Armageddon.
Just watching the 2005: Inside the Lions Den documentary on Sky Sports 1. Interesting that Gareth Thomas joined the Lions tour 17 days late after his commitments with Toulouse.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 01 Jun 2017, 2:41 am

Who do we think is in good form right now?

Among the England contingent, Cole, Lawes and Nowell are all coming off good games, while Daly, George and Haskell have looked short of their best. Kruis, Itoje, Vunipola and Farrell seem steady enough, although they didn't shine against Exeter. Haven't got much of an idea about the others.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 01 Jun 2017, 7:46 am

Rugby Fan wrote:Who do we think is in good form right now?

Among the England contingent, Cole, Lawes and Nowell are all coming off good games, while Daly, George and Haskell have looked short of their best. Kruis, Itoje, Vunipola and Farrell seem steady enough, although they didn't shine against Exeter. Haven't got much of an idea about the others.

Jd2 had a good game in the pro12 final against a lacklustre Munster.

I think my enthusiasm will up a bit after this Saturday. Up until now I have been a bit meh after the unwarranted Welsh selection bias & Joe Launch not being selected.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 9:34 am

Nice piece from Kaplan on how to ref the ABs.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/93212249/referees-must-beware-of-the-all-blacks-dark-arts--ex-referee-jonathan-kaplan

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 9:39 am

What are the chances of the ABs getting their first ever red card?

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 01 Jun 2017, 9:53 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:What are the chances of the ABs getting their first ever red card?

0% I'd say.

Can purposely spear tackle the Lions captain and get no punishment - you can get away with anything.

It's sad that to this day, there has been no apology and any feeling of wrongdoing.

Graham Henry says Mealamu and Umaga handled the situation well.... Laugh They weren't the ones on the floor writhing in pain....

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/smcmahon/graham-henry-tana-umaga-keven-mealamu-handled-brian-odriscoll-incident-pretty-well/

Supposedly all that matters was whitewashing the Lions...

It's quite odd that the NZers turned Mealamu and Umaga into the victims. They got away with their actions. No punishment.

At least with England's resident bad boy captain, ironically a Nzer himself, he's been punished each time he's stepped out of line.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 01 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

beshocked wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:What are the chances of the ABs getting their first ever red card?

0% I'd say.

Can purposely spear tackle the Lions captain and get no punishment - you can get away with anything.

It's sad that to this day, there has been no apology and any feeling of wrongdoing.

Graham Henry says Mealamu and Umaga handled the situation well.... Laugh They weren't the ones on the floor writhing in pain....

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/smcmahon/graham-henry-tana-umaga-keven-mealamu-handled-brian-odriscoll-incident-pretty-well/

It's quite odd that the NZers turned Mealamu and Umaga into the victims. They got away with their actions. No punishment.

At least with England's resident bad boy captain, ironically a Nzer himself, he's been punished each time he's stepped out of line.

Actually Umaga apologised to BOD. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 01 Jun 2017, 9:56 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
beshocked wrote:

0% I'd say.

Actually Umaga apologised to BOD. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

When? A few years after the incident? Didn't apologise at the time.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 9:59 am

Kaplan speaks a lot of sense in that piece. Obviously much harder to spot all the things going on in practice though!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:00 am

beshocked wrote:

0% I'd say.

They have both apologised. Umaga said that had their tackle was instrumental in the updating of the rules. I still, to this day, do not feel it was malicious, just a horrible onfield incident. They happen in games.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

beshocked wrote:
beshocked wrote:

0% I'd say.

When? A few years after the incident? Didn't apologise at the time.

Umaga apologised to BOD during the week after the test actually. BOD rejected it admittedly.

Like I said, facts, good story
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:03 am

Have you got any link to any story that says Umaga apologised at the time? "Dont be a sook Brian" isnt exactly an apology.

Only in New Zealand would they make Umaga the victim when he smashed someones collarbone and left them sidelined for 13 months with a potentially career ending injury. Kiwi logic.

Graham Henry came across as a massive plonker in the whole affair.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:06 am

New rules around the tmo and tightening of rules in general should mean it's not an issue or as much of one.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:07 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Have you got any link to any story that says Umaga apologised at the time? "Dont be a sook Brian" isnt exactly an apology.

Only in New Zealand would they make Umaga the victim when he smashed someones collarbone and left them sidelined for 13 months with a potentially career ending injury. Kiwi logic.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10465954
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:10 am

"I'm sorry for what happened to you" isn't an apology, for goodness sake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/ireland/2322111/Tana-Umaga-reopens-Brian-ODriscoll-feud.html

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:12 am

Umaga is a scumbag as are the fans who continue to defend him.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:14 am

If anything that article is even more disturbing.

"He said he'd gone to hospital. Again, I didn't think anything of it."

Classy.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:15 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Have you got any link to any story that says Umaga apologised at the time? "Dont be a sook Brian" isnt exactly an apology.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10465954

Thanks for that. That account from Umaga is kind of embarassing for him. He completely plays the victim in literally everything he says as he did in any of the pressers he did before. That's pretty much the sole reason people still talk about it. poor Tana Umaga. It must be so tough on him being criticised for breaking someones collarbone.

Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

The All Blacks could learn a thing from BOD, he's a guy of pure class.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:17 am

Great to see the players who have been in camp the longest getting a run out.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:19 am

TightHEAD wrote:Great to see the players who have been in camp the longest getting a run out.

Am actually surprised but very happy for Laidlaw to get a start.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:19 am

Pete C the reality is that NZers in general have blamed BOD when he's the victim and turned Umaga and Mealamu into heroes.

Nothing heroic about 2 players spear tackling another - no punishment either.

At least in general when English players have sinned they've been punished. E.g. Ashton and Hartley.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:21 am

beshocked wrote:Pete C the reality is that NZers in general have blamed BOD when he's the victim and turned Umaga and Mealamu into heroes.

At least in general when English players have sinned they've been punished. E.g. Ashton and Hartley.

laughing

I could really go on a WUM here Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:27 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:"I'm sorry for what happened to you" isn't an apology, for goodness sake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/ireland/2322111/Tana-Umaga-reopens-Brian-ODriscoll-feud.html
If you're a sook it's probably all you deserve

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

For those complaining about my avatar I hope the new one helps solve the issues arising from my love of England.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:43 am

What was wrong with it Tighthead?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:17 am

ebop wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:"I'm sorry for what happened to you" isn't an apology, for goodness sake.

Funny enough, the biggest sooks I've encountered on here have been NZ fans. You're alright though, ebop. A funny WUM from time to time.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:24 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
ebop wrote:

Funny enough, the biggest sooks I've encountered on here have been NZ fans. You're alright though, ebop. A funny WUM from time to time.
Lol, I can be a sook sometimes

And I apologise in advance Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 02 Jun 2017, 1:16 am

beshocked wrote:Pete C the reality is that NZers in general have blamed BOD when he's the victim and turned Umaga and Mealamu into heroes.

There was no spear tackle.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 02 Jun 2017, 4:33 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
 There was no spear tackle.

Technically, you're right. It was off the ball, so it wasn't a tackle. Whatever it was, it wasn't pretty, it was deliberately dangerous and it wasn't remotely legal. The way it was handled by the officials was appalling.

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=65832
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20