England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by robbo277 on Tue 23 May 2017, 9:33 am

England v Barbarians FC
28 May 2017
KO: 15:00 BST
Twickenham, London

Live on Sky Sports, Sky Sports HD and SkyGo

Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. FORM:

Overall
England 8 wins
Barbarians 7 wins
0 draws

Last 5 matches
England 73 vs 12 Barbarians
31 May 2015
Twickenham, London

England 29 vs 39 Barbarians
1 June 2014
Twickenham, London

England 40 vs 12 Barbarians
26 May 2013
Twickenham, London

England 57 vs 26 Barbarians
27 May 2012
Twickenham, London

England 32 vs 38 Barbarians
29 May 2011
Twickenham, London

B. TEAMS:

England


Barbarians


C. SQUADS:

England
Forwards (17): Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks), Rob Buchanan (Harlequins), Will Collier (Harlequins), Ben Curry (Sale Sharks), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Jamal Ford-Robinson (Bristol), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Nick Schonert (Worcester Warriors), Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors), Will Spencer (Worcester Warriors), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons).

Backs (12): Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Nathan Earle (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Mike Haley (Sale Sharks), Sam James (Sale Sharks), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Joe Marchant (Harlequins), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Ryan Mills (Worcester Warriors), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Marland Yarde (Harlequins).

Barbaians FC
Backs: Horacio Agulla (Castres & Argentina), Adam Ashley-Cooper (Bordeaux Begles & Australia), Yann David (Toulouse and France), Kahn Fotuali’i (Bath Rugby & Samoa), Robbie Freuan (Bath Rugby), Alex Goode (Saracens & England), Rory Kockott (Castres & France), Ian Madigan (Bordeaux Begles & Ireland), Timoci Nagusa (Montpellier & Fiji), Waisea Nayacalavu (Stade Francais & Fiji), Ruan Pienaar (Ulster & South Africa), David Smith (Castres), Frans Steyn (Montpellier & South Africa).

Forwards: Patricio Albacete (Toulouse & Argentina), Steffon Armitage (Pau & England), Schalk Brits (Saracens & South Africa), Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse & France), Corey Flynn (Star RFC & New Zealand), Ben Franks (London Irish & New Zealand), Gillian Galan (Toulouse), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester & Wales), Facundo Isa (Lyon & Argentina), Census Johnston (Toulouse & Samoa), Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier & Georgia), WP Nel (Edinburgh & Scotland), Mike Ross (Leinster & Ireland), Joe Tekori (Toulouse & Samoa), Jeremy Thrush (Gloucester & New Zealand).

D. NOTES

  • England squad was announced over the weekend. Made up largely of the touring party for Argentina, players from Wasps, Exeter and Northampton are missing. Replacements have been called up.
  • Barbarians squad from previously announced players and call ups announced via Twitter on 23 May.
  • Bill Beaumont County Cup Finals also to be played at Twickenham on the same day.


Last edited by robbo277 on Thu 25 May 2017, 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

robbo277

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by yappysnap on Tue 23 May 2017, 10:54 am

It's a shame more players from the AP aren't picked in these baabaa's sides. From 5th-12th you must have at least a few who are free.

Foden, Banahan, F Burns, Garvey, Morgan just off the top of my head would be good additions.

yappysnap

Posts : 10594
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : Guildford, Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by eirebilly on Tue 23 May 2017, 10:57 am

That is not a bad Baa baa squad to be fair, could be a good game.
avatar
eirebilly

Posts : 21473
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 46
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Tue 23 May 2017, 11:21 am

Some good players in that Baa Baa's squad.

Could be a good test for the kids.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by LondonTiger on Tue 23 May 2017, 11:28 am

Last time we played the Barbarians:

England XV (45) 73
Tries: Yarde, Slater, Clifford, Wade 3, Cipriani 2, Slade, Beaumont Cons: Cipriani 10 Pens: Cipriani
Barbarians (5) 12
Tries: Thorn, Waldrom Con: Pisi


England XV:
Tait (Leicester Tigers); Wade (Wasps), Daly (Wasps), Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Yarde (Harlequins); Cipriani (Sale Sharks), Dickson (Northampton Saints, capt); Mullan (Wasps), Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Brookes (Newcastle Falcons); Slater (Leicester Tigers), Launchbury (Wasps); Wilson (Newcastle Falcons), Clifford (Harlequins), Beaumont (Sale Sharks).

Replacements: Taylor (Sale Sharks), Waller (Northampton Saints), Denman (Northampton Saints), Gaskell (Wasps), Fisher (Northampton Saints), Chudley (Exeter Chiefs), Geraghty (London Irish), Lewington (London Irish)


Barbarians XV:
Aplon (Grenoble & South Africa); Smith (Toulon), Rokocoko (Bayonne & New Zealand), Olivier (Montpellier & South Africa), Monye (Harlequins & England); Pisi (Suntory Sungoliath & Samoa); Cubelli (Belgrano Ath & Argentina); Taumoepeau (Castres & New Zealand), Ward (Harlequins), Diaz (Pampas & Argentina); Manoa (Northampton Saints and USA), Thorn (Leicester Tigers & New Zealand, capt); Whitelock (Panasonic Wild Knights & New Zealand), Smith (Lyon & Australia), Waldrom (Exeter Chiefs & England).

Replacements: Fourie (Lyon), Tejerizo (Tucuman & Argentina), Jones (Cardiff Blues & Wales), Hines (Sale Sharks & Scotland), Matera (Pampas & Argentina), Pienaar (Ulster & South Africa), Brett (Lyon), Fujita (Panasonic Wild Knights & Japan)

LondonTiger

Posts : 16363
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by robbo277 on Tue 23 May 2017, 11:31 am

LondonTiger wrote:Last time we played the Barbarians:

England XV (45) 73
Tries: Yarde, Slater, Clifford, Wade 3, Cipriani 2, Slade, Beaumont Cons: Cipriani 10 Pens: Cipriani
Barbarians (5) 12
Tries: Thorn, Waldrom Con: Pisi


England XV:
Tait (Leicester Tigers); Wade (Wasps), Daly (Wasps), Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Yarde (Harlequins); Cipriani (Sale Sharks), Dickson (Northampton Saints, capt); Mullan (Wasps), Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Brookes (Newcastle Falcons); Slater (Leicester Tigers), Launchbury (Wasps); Wilson (Newcastle Falcons), Clifford (Harlequins), Beaumont (Sale Sharks).

Replacements: Taylor (Sale Sharks), Waller (Northampton Saints), Denman (Northampton Saints), Gaskell (Wasps), Fisher (Northampton Saints), Chudley (Exeter Chiefs), Geraghty (London Irish), Lewington (London Irish)


Barbarians XV:
Aplon (Grenoble & South Africa); Smith (Toulon), Rokocoko (Bayonne & New Zealand), Olivier (Montpellier & South Africa), Monye (Harlequins & England); Pisi (Suntory Sungoliath & Samoa); Cubelli (Belgrano Ath & Argentina); Taumoepeau (Castres & New Zealand), Ward (Harlequins), Diaz (Pampas & Argentina); Manoa (Northampton Saints and USA), Thorn (Leicester Tigers & New Zealand, capt); Whitelock (Panasonic Wild Knights & New Zealand), Smith (Lyon & Australia), Waldrom (Exeter Chiefs & England).

Replacements: Fourie (Lyon), Tejerizo (Tucuman & Argentina), Jones (Cardiff Blues & Wales), Hines (Sale Sharks & Scotland), Matera (Pampas & Argentina), Pienaar (Ulster & South Africa), Brett (Lyon), Fujita (Panasonic Wild Knights & Japan)

That is a significantly stronger England team to the one we'll get this weekend.

robbo277

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by robbo277 on Tue 23 May 2017, 11:37 am

yappysnap wrote:It's a shame more players from the AP aren't picked in these baabaa's sides. From 5th-12th you must have at least a few who are free.

Foden, Banahan, F Burns, Garvey, Morgan just off the top of my head would be good additions.

Would note that Foden is unavailable, but otherwise I agree, it would be good to see a few more. It's mainly Top 14 players.

Schalk Burger has made it across from Sarries, so Barritt, Ashton and Goode could have all been interesting picks, or Thacker or Tait from Tigers - in addition to the ones you've mentioned.

Carl Fearns is another English player I'd have possibly liked to see.

robbo277

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by LondonTiger on Tue 23 May 2017, 11:38 am

robbo277 wrote:
That is a significantly stronger England team to the one we'll get this weekend.

Agreed, and the Barbarian team two years ago was weaker than that we will see this weekend.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16363
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 23 May 2017, 12:24 pm

Theres permiership clubs with more capped England test players on their books than are in the "England" squad.

Its a bit of a non game really, but at least the Barabrians should put up a decent account of themselves for once.


Gooseberry

Posts : 2766
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by robbo277 on Thu 25 May 2017, 8:31 am

Alex Goode has been called up for the Barbarians, don't know if that's to replace anyone or in addition.

robbo277

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:20 am

15 Mike Brown (Harlequins, 60 caps)

14 Nathan Earle (Saracens, uncapped)

13 Sam James (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

12 Alex Lozowski (Saracens, uncapped)

11 Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 25 caps)

10 George Ford (Bath Rugby, 35 caps)

9 Danny Care (Harlequins, 71 caps)

1 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)

2 Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)

3 Will Collier (Harlequins, uncapped)

4 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)

5 Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, uncapped)

6 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 55 caps)

7 Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

8 Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

Replacements

16 George McGuigan (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)

17 Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

18 Jamal Ford-Robinson (Bristol Rugby, uncapped)

19 Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

20 Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

21 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)

22 Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens, 27 caps)

23 Mike Haley (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32231
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:31 am

HHmmmm very interesting team.

The ones catching my eye and ones i will watch with interest are Genge, Isiekwe, Underhill, Lozowski, James and Earle.

It will be a massive game for them though as that Baa Baas squad has some cracking players.

Good experience.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Scottrf on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:41 am

18 Jamal Ford-Robinson (Bristol Rugby Northampton Saints*, uncapped)

Just so we have someone there Crying or Very sad
avatar
Scottrf

Posts : 11908
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by robbo277 on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:42 am

Obviously an uncapped game in itself, but there are 8 uncapped players in that starting line-up alone.

However without picking Marland Yarde or shoe-horning Wigglesworth in somewhere ridiculous, there was no way Eddie could have got more caps into the squad. Robshaw and I guess Ewels are likely to play through.

Other than Robshaw, there are 4 caps in the pack - although that is a very exciting back row. Beaumont has been thereabouts for a couple of seasons, and Underhill has obviously had a lot of press.

Not sure what Eddie would have done if Marchant was available, but he's definitely sticking to the script with that 10/12 combination.

The bench is interesting as well. With less experience in the pack, he's given himself nearly a full pack on the bench to change things up if required.

Co-captain is something I'm not sure I can get on board with however.

robbo277

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:44 am

Serious number of U20 players in that squad and some who are still eligible or have just stopped becoming. Crazy for Isiekwe, the lad has just turned 19!

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32231
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:45 am

Only two backs on the bench - probably mainly due to injuries I guess.

If we exclude Robshaw, the remaining 13 forwards have four caps between them!!

LondonTiger

Posts : 16363
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:45 am

Scottrf wrote:18 Jamal Ford-Robinson (Bristol Rugby Northampton Saints*, uncapped)

Just so we have someone there Crying or Very sad

Your guys are unavailable for selection though.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16363
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Scottrf on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:46 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Scottrf wrote:18 Jamal Ford-Robinson (Bristol Rugby Northampton Saints*, uncapped)

Just so we have someone there Crying or Very sad

Your guys are unavailable for selection though.

Good point Shocked
avatar
Scottrf

Posts : 11908
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by robbo277 on Thu 25 May 2017, 12:21 pm

Just noticed, on the England rugby graphic I've pasted into the original post, they've included:

24. Will Spencer
25. Tom Curry

Are they non-playing reserves? Or because it's a non-cap game has Eddie named a 25 man playing squad? In which case, it's an entire pack on the bench with 2 backs!

robbo277

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 25 May 2017, 12:54 pm

Ive seen better looking sides in the Pro 12. What a joke.

Gooseberry

Posts : 2766
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Thu 25 May 2017, 12:59 pm

I like it, give the youth a shot. It's not a cap match so the result hardly matters.

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32231
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by jimbopip on Thu 25 May 2017, 1:10 pm

Looking at it another way; our club is taking a coach load of kids and parents up, I'm sure I'm not the only dad who has been waxing lyrical about the great Baabaas of yesteryear - while secretly worrying that they'll get tonked. let's face it the rugby calendar has almost killed the Barbarians as a competitive side. It actually looks as if we'll see lots of tries and a Barbarians win. It'll be the first time I've seen an England side lose at Twickers. Braveheart

jimbopip

Posts : 3480
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 25 May 2017, 1:38 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Ive seen better looking sides in the Pro 12. What a joke.

That's it, put a positive spin on it!

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 25 May 2017, 1:41 pm

Some Baa's Baas team!

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 25 May 2017, 1:54 pm

1 Mikheil Nariashvilli
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Census Johnson
4 Patricio Albacette
5 Jemery Thrush
6 Thierry Dusautoir (C)
7 Steffon Armitage
8 Facundo Isa

9 Khan Fotual'i
10 Ian Madigan
11 Adam Ashley Cooper
12 Francois Steyn
13 David Yann
14 Timoci Nagusa
15 Alex Good

16 Shalk Brits 17 Ben Franks 18 WP Nel 19 Joe Tekori 20 Gillian Galan 21 Ruan Pienar 23 Robbie Fruean 23 Horracio Agulla

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:01 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I like it, give the youth a shot. It's not a cap match so the result hardly matters.

True. Its great to see a young promising scurm half like Wigglesworth breaking through on the big stage rather than a semi retired journeyman like Ben Spencer.

Gooseberry

Posts : 2766
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by No 7&1/2 on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:02 pm

Would you not prefer a mix of youth and experience?

No 7&1/2

Posts : 12661
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:06 pm

a one cap England front row coming up against

1 Mikheil Nariashvilli
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Census Johnson


Shocked
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6728
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Scottrf on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:07 pm

I came up short the last time I encountered a Johnson Census too.
avatar
Scottrf

Posts : 11908
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:08 pm

Scottrf wrote:I came up short the last time I encountered a Johnson Census too.

Most humans do.
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6728
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:12 pm

Well I like the side.

Great young potential with a few experienced old heads. And they're up against some top players so they'll have to be right up there!

Don't understand some peoples negativity!

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:34 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:1 Mikheil Nariashvilli
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Census Johnson
4 Patricio Albacette
5 Jemery Thrush
6 Thierry Dusautoir (C)
7 Steffon Armitage
8 Facundo Isa

9 Khan Fotual'i
10 Ian Madigan
11 Adam Ashley Cooper
12 Francois Steyn
13 David Yann
14 Timoci Nagusa
15 Alex Good

16 Shalk Brits 17 Ben Franks 18 WP Nel 19 Joe Tekori 20 Gillian Galan 21 Ruan Pienar 23 Robbie Fruean 23 Horracio Agulla

Franks position in doubt surely after last nights red card.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16363
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:50 pm

Quite possibly LT, that was just the team announced.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by No 7&1/2 on Thu 25 May 2017, 2:53 pm

Spencer and curry are replacing g Ellis and curry on the bench not in addition.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 12661
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by robbo277 on Thu 25 May 2017, 3:09 pm

jimbopip wrote:Looking at it another way; our club is taking a coach load of kids and parents up, I'm sure I'm not the only dad who has been waxing lyrical about the great Baabaas of yesteryear - while secretly worrying that they'll get tonked. let's face it the rugby calendar has almost killed the Barbarians as a competitive side. It actually looks as if we'll see lots of tries and a Barbarians win. It'll be the first time I've seen an England side lose at Twickers. Braveheart

I'll be up there. It's going to be a fantastic opportunity to see some of England's next generation come up against some legends of the game. The back row is disgustingly good in particular.

Should be a really good game, even though not a capped test match.

You wonder if he should have picked the "next tier" down, with players like Attwood, Kvesic, Rokodoguni who have been on the fringes in the past, but it's bold to pick some real young'uns. Attwood is never going to be the best lock of his generation now, Isiekwe might be. Same with Underhill and Earle vs Kvesic and Roko.

robbo277

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by jimbopip on Thu 25 May 2017, 3:20 pm

Agreed Robbo, but with Care, Ford, Lozowski and May there is some serious speed in the England backs. If Ford can get Lozowski running good attacking lines off him then the Barbarians could struggle. however, Theirry Dusatoir will probably be controlling the breakdown and "making himself known" to young mister Ford. Also, young Ellis Genge will be pulverised by Census Johnson who will then be replaced by WP Nel determined to prove his fitness for the Scotland tour, and possibly a Lions call up. I wouldn't want to be young Master Genge on Sunday.
The above may sound harsh, but the only time I've seen Ellis Genge live was when Glasgow destroyed Leicester and Gordon Reid had him on toast that night.

jimbopip

Posts : 3480
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 25 May 2017, 3:22 pm

robbo277 wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Looking at it another way; our club is taking a coach load of kids and parents up, I'm sure I'm not the only dad who has been waxing lyrical about the great Baabaas of yesteryear - while secretly worrying that they'll get tonked. let's face it the rugby calendar has almost killed the Barbarians as a competitive side. It actually looks as if we'll see lots of tries and a Barbarians win. It'll be the first time I've seen an England side lose at Twickers. Braveheart

I'll be up there. It's going to be a fantastic opportunity to see some of England's next generation come up against some legends of the game. The back row is disgustingly good in particular.

Should be a really good game, even though not a capped test match.

You wonder if he should have picked the "next tier" down, with players like Attwood, Kvesic, Rokodoguni who have been on the fringes in the past, but it's bold to pick some real young'uns. Attwood is never going to be the best lock of his generation now, Isiekwe might be. Same with Underhill and Earle vs Kvesic and Roko.

Absolutely...I cant remember such a balanced England back row Very Happy Wink

As to the England side...im happy he's skipped the fringe / not going to make it players. He's got a very strong core now and he's looking to bring the absolute best of the kids through , the ones with real potential.

I like it.

Kvesic could be one to watch next season mind if the rumours im hearing from the chiefs is true. That they will be pushing him to play a far more rounded game instead of a breakdown hog, and that he's already losing weight as his fitness is worked on.
Just rumours mind...but I think they'll most likely be true.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by robbo277 on Thu 25 May 2017, 3:25 pm

jimbopip wrote:Agreed Robbo, but with Care, Ford, Lozowski and May there is some serious speed in the England backs. If Ford can get Lozowski running good attacking lines off him then the Barbarians could struggle. however, Theirry Dusatoir will probably be controlling the breakdown and "making himself known" to young mister Ford. Also, young Ellis Genge will be pulverised by Census Johnson who will then be replaced by WP Nel determined to prove his fitness for the Scotland tour, and possibly a Lions call up. I wouldn't want to be young Master Genge on Sunday.
The above may sound harsh, but the only time I've seen Ellis Genge live was when Glasgow destroyed Leicester and Gordon Reid had him on toast that night.

Although you have to question how cohesive the Barbarians will be, I think it's clear that the individual skill is really high. When it comes to one-on-one battles, e.g. Johnston vs Genge in the scrum, Dusautoir attacking Ford off the base of the scrum, players are going to be in a real contest.

If England are going to win it, it will have to be in the backs I feel. That's where are experience is, so hopefully we'll have something resembling a cohesive game plan. I don't think the Barbarians have as much strength in their (albeit talented backline) as they do in their pack.

robbo277

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Rugby Fan on Thu 25 May 2017, 3:33 pm

Woodward tried fielding an experimental England side against the Baa-baas in the same fixture in 2003. England lost 36-49 but I was there, and it felt like a spanking

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/may/26/rugbyunion.robertkitson

We lost the next two matches, as well. It's hard to judge what the teams were like but the 2004 side has several names I had to look up, so "inexperienced" is probably an understatement.

M Horak (London Irish); P Sackey (London Irish), J Noon (Newcastle), K Sorrell (Saracens), M Garvey (Gloucester); D Walder (Newcastle), N Walshe (Sale Sharks); M Worsley (Harlequins), M Regan (Leeds), R Morris (Northampton), M Cornwell (Gloucester), A Brown (Gloucester), D Hyde (Leeds), A Hazell (Gloucester), H Vyvyan (Newcastle, capt).

I'm beginning to think Jones doesn't really know what to do with second team fixtures. He didn't seem to place any value on the Saxons performances in South Africa. Big winners from that tour were Cipriani, Wade, Hepburn, Robson, Attwood and Haley, for all the good it did them.


Rugby Fan

Posts : 4203
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 25 May 2017, 3:43 pm

I think deep down Jones know what his first XV is...and what positions he needs / wants to strengthen.

So for all the kids in this squad and the U20's etc etc it's probably only a couple that he will really genuinely be watching. Probably Genge, Underhill and who ever plays at 12 etc.

The rest will just be observations I would think, and a bonus if someone does start to stand out like Isiekwe or such

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18298
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Rugby Fan on Thu 25 May 2017, 4:46 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think deep down Jones know what his first XV is...and what positions he needs / wants to strengthen.
The thing is, Jones cited the example of how Stephen Donald had to be called away from fishing to fill the All Blacks World Cup number 10 spot.

That should be an argument for keeping third/fourth choices involved with the England set-up in case we get in a similar pinch. The Argentina tour shouldn't just be about looking for World Cup bolters for a settled squad, it should also be making sure we keep some safe pairs of hands around who know our systems.

Rugby Fan

Posts : 4203
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 25 May 2017, 4:47 pm

jimbopip wrote:The above may sound harsh, but the only time I've seen Ellis Genge live was when Glasgow destroyed Leicester and Gordon Reid had him on toast that night.

Up at your place my opinion (admittedly from the stands whilst being ribbed mercilessly) was that our front row held their own until we swapped the front row and were left with a TH at LH (Mulipola) a hooker at TH (Bateman) and a midget at hooker. Then we were pulverised, culminating in Logo being binned, Genge came back on and won a penalty at the very next scrum.

Cannot talk about the fixture down our place as I had sold my tickets back to the club and taken my youngest to a climbing course.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16363
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by jimbopip on Thu 25 May 2017, 5:12 pm

Mr Tiger, I have to say that just before the return fixture I watched the Glasgow-Tiggers match again. It was as I remembered; fairly even till the yellow card and then Glasgow went into overdrive for about twenty minutes, then fairly even for the remainder of the match, but by that time the contest was over. I approached Welford Road expecting a very tight contest with the TB win probably asking too much. Boy was I wrong.
I look forward to seeing young Genge on Sunday because I have heard very good things about him, but that Baa baas pack looks awesome. he may be in for a very long, hot afternoon.

jimbopip

Posts : 3480
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Thu 25 May 2017, 6:07 pm

Genge has improved massivley since the Glasgow game, as has the Tigers scrum tbh. Really excited by him, I think he's fantastic.

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32231
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by BigTrevsbigmac on Fri 26 May 2017, 6:52 am

That must be the smallest 10/12 combo England have put out for many a year.
Although Loz does punch well above his weight.

BigTrevsbigmac

Posts : 2827
Join date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by jimbopip on Sun 28 May 2017, 9:11 am

OK pre-flight checklist;

Full English ...check

Glasgow Warriors jersey on...check

Spare warriors jersey on Young Pipetto (his jersey is in the wash)... check

Beer Tokens in wallet... check

Princess Daughter here to drive us to the rugby club for meeting...check

Ok boys all systems go. king

jimbopip

Posts : 3480
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Rugbyjk on Sun 28 May 2017, 3:03 pm

Why did that cretin Goode not sing the anthem just because playing for baabaas?

Rugbyjk

Posts : 232
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Sun 28 May 2017, 3:22 pm

Nathan Earle looking great, Underhill aggresive defence and breakdown work.

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32231
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by No 7&1/2 on Sun 28 May 2017, 3:45 pm

Jebus they're slow at making decisions on the tmo.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 12661
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by No 7&1/2 on Sun 28 May 2017, 3:46 pm

And so far Lozowski and underhill off injured.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 12661
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: England vs Barbarians - Sunday 28 May

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum