RG - Day 4

Go down

RG - Day 4

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 31 May 2017, 8:40 am

Day 4 includes the conclusion of the fascinating JWT- Olivo match, with JWT serving straight away to stay in the match. Amazingly, the Argentinian had lost his previous six matches this season. Reckon that somehow Tsonga will come through.
   The returning Kvitova among those in action today, with Rafa taking on Haase.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Re: RG - Day 4

Post by Guest82 on Wed 31 May 2017, 9:23 am

Olivo served for the match in the last game last night, I think his chance went then.

He was a break up in the third set too.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 31 May 2017, 11:06 am

M-Sands takes the first set 7-6 v Kvitova who had one stage had points for a double break in the set. Lovely drop shots from M-S.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Wed 31 May 2017, 12:02 pm

Tsonga is out of the French Open at the first hurdle beaten in four sets by Argentinian Olivo.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 31 May 2017, 12:26 pm

JWT saved three MPs but has "crashed out". M-S wins 7-6, 7-6 against an error-strewn Kvitova. But at least she'll be glad to be back playing again. Big hug from her opponent at the net at the end.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Wed 31 May 2017, 1:10 pm

Olivo is an easier opponent for Kyle Edmund in the 2nd round. Good chance for him to make R3.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 31 May 2017, 1:18 pm

Guest82 wrote:Olivo is an easier opponent for Kyle Edmund in the 2nd round.  Good chance for him to make R3.
Yes. The JWT defeat is very good news for Kyle. Meanwhile, defending champion Muguruza is a set down in her second round match. I like Djoko's new hairstyle. Mind you, anything would have been an improvement on his original one.

Later: Mug thru in three. Had to turn the sound down due to her shrieking. Djoko also thru - in straight sets. Still does not look like the Djoko of old, but he's winning and sterner tests await.
   Disgraceful display by Coric, smashing his racquet repeatedly after losing to Johnson.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk on Wed 31 May 2017, 3:14 pm

I saw the 3rd set of the Djokovic match. Despite winning in straight sets again today, Novaks form is very patchy. I just cannot see him being a threat playing at his current level, so many basic errors and against the likes of Nadal he will be punished.

I wouldn't be surprised if Novak goes out before a potential Nadal meeting in the semi final. He just isn't playing with the same confidence anymore, a few really good shots followed by awful unforced errors.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Wed 31 May 2017, 3:18 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:I saw the 3rd set of the Djokovic match. Despite winning in straight sets again today, Novaks form is very patchy. I just cannot see him being a threat playing at his current level, so many basic errors and against the likes of Nadal he will be punished.

I wouldn't be surprised if Novak goes out before a potential Nadal meeting in the semi final. He just isn't playing with the same confidence anymore, a few really good shots followed by awful unforced errors.

Concentration, confidence and movement I'd say are off at the moment. He is learning to win more matches now though whilst below his best which hasn't been the case in recent months.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Wed 31 May 2017, 3:35 pm

Pouille in R4 could cause Djokovic some problems. Then definitely Goffin/Thiem in QF. Wouldn't be that surprised if he lost before the semi-final against Rafa.

Rafa has a very kind draw until the semi-finals. Basilashvili, Bautista-Agut and then Raonic/Dimitrov.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 31 May 2017, 4:49 pm

Rafa thru in straight sets. It would be a huge shock if he were not to make the semis. Let's fact it, it would be a fairly big shock if he were not to win the whole thing.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk on Wed 31 May 2017, 5:00 pm

Chances of Nadal winning this tournament in my opinion - 90%

Who is going to stop him? The only player to have beaten him on clay this year was Thiem and his nitemare match up is Djokovic who he is due to meet in the QF before a potential semi final with Nadal. Of course if Novak miraculously returns to form and plays to his potential he could cause Nadal problems but I just don't see showing any kind of form or confidence to pull that off.

Assuming Nadal makes the final, who on the other side of the draw can possibly trouble him? We know Wawrinka is really dangerous when he makes finals but he is so inconsistent that he might not even make it there.

Murrays form is woeful and even at his best on clay I couldn't see him beating Nadal on Chatrier court. This reminds me of Nadal when he played French open around 2008 and Federer at Wimbledon around 2006. It is just so hard to see how anybody get even close to him.

The only other sliver of hope is that Nadal starts to doubt himself as he gets towards the final. It is a long time since he has won a slam and therefore he might get nervous, particularly being such a heavy favourite and going for that 10th title, big pressure.

I just don't see anybody stopping him

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 31 May 2017, 5:01 pm

What with the shrieks of the likes of Mugu and the incredibly annoying commentary of Bartoli, the only way of watching the tennis on ITV4 is with the sound down.
   At least we have Inverdale. I know he's not everybody's cup of tea. But with sport on TV chock full of ex players trying to be interviewers and commentators, it's a change to have a journalist and a non-pro providing a different perspective.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Wed 31 May 2017, 5:18 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:Chances of Nadal winning this tournament in my opinion - 90%

Who is going to stop him? The only player to have beaten him on clay this year was Thiem and his nitemare match up is Djokovic who he is due to meet in the QF before a potential semi final with Nadal. Of course if Novak miraculously returns to form and plays to his potential he could cause Nadal problems but I just don't see showing any kind of form or confidence to pull that off.

Assuming Nadal makes the final, who on the other side of the draw can possibly trouble him? We know Wawrinka is really dangerous when he makes finals but he is so inconsistent that he might not even make it there.

Murrays form is woeful and even at his best on clay I couldn't see him beating Nadal on Chatrier court. This reminds me of Nadal when he played French open around 2008 and Federer at Wimbledon around 2006. It is just so hard to see how anybody get even close to him.

The only other sliver of hope is that Nadal starts to doubt himself as he gets towards the final. It is a long time since he has won a slam and therefore he might get nervous, particularly being such a heavy favourite and going for that 10th title, big pressure.

I just don't see anybody stopping him

I actually think the only players capable of stopping him are:
Djokovic - if he can return to last years form, looks unlikely.
Thiem - needs to play an almost perfect match though. Unlikely to even get that far - if he beats Goffin (big if), he'll probably lose to Djokovic.
Wawrinka - if he shows up in 2015 final form. Unlikely.
Murray - if he finds last years form and Nadal doesn't play well it would be close. Very unlikely.

I don't give anyone else in the draw a prayer.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Wed 31 May 2017, 5:20 pm

sirfredperry wrote:What with the shrieks of the likes of Mugu and the incredibly annoying commentary of Bartoli, the only way of watching the tennis on ITV4 is with the sound down.
   At least we have Inverdale. I know he's not everybody's cup of tea. But with sport on TV chock full of ex players trying to be interviewers and commentators, it's a change to have a journalist and a non-pro providing a different perspective.

I actually like Jim Courier as a commentator. Think he's about the best out there.

I tend to watch on Eurosport if he's not commentating.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 31 May 2017, 6:08 pm

G82. Yes, I'm a Courier fan, too. Alas, I don't have the option of Eurosport. Despite my moaning, I'm glad to have some tennis to watch on free-to-air TV.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum