If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Go down

If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by beshocked on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Just for a bit of fun.

For Saracens I'd pick.

1.Richard Hill - need I say more? One of the greatest flankers of all time.
2.Kyran Bracken - Marshall will perhaps go down as the more accomplished 9 but Bracken was obviously more of a club stalwart.
3.Phillippe Sella - didn't play for Saracens for long but still.....


Who would you pick?

beshocked

Posts : 14849
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by LondonTiger on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Martin Johnson, Dean Richards, Geordan Murphy.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18398
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by SirBurger on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:58 pm

At their absolute peak: George Skivington (Kennedy and Bob were longer-serving but Skivington was incredible for us for a short period of time and would work very nicely alongside Seb); Chris Hala'Ufia (haters gonna hate, but the toughest player the club has ever had); Jonathan Joseph (preferred Mapusua as a player, but we are ok for 12s. Crying out for a 13 that can inject some spark into a backline).

SirBurger

Posts : 1181
Join date : 2011-11-24

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by toml on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:39 pm

For Ulster I would argue our greatest ever 3 players are Jack Kyle, Willie John McBride and Mike Gibson. I would have Ferris put in the current side rather than Kyle though.

1. Willie John McBride. Arguably the greatest leader of them all and we need some leadership on and off the field.

2. Mike Gibson - we have plenty of talent in our bacline but we need someone to unlock it.

3. Stephen Ferris - our pack is buttery soft at the moment but Stevie is as hard as nails

toml

Posts : 702
Join date : 2012-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by The Great Aukster on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:41 pm

toml wrote:For Ulster I would argue our greatest ever 3 players are Jack Kyle, Willie John McBride and Mike Gibson. I would have Ferris put in the current side rather than Kyle though.

1. Willie John McBride. Arguably the greatest leader of them all and we need some leadership on and off the field.

2. Mike Gibson - we have plenty of talent in our bacline but we need someone to unlock it.

3. Stephen Ferris - our pack is buttery soft at the moment but Stevie is as hard as nails

McBride is tiny by modern standards for a lock, and Muller has good leadership qualities so it would have to be him.
Gibson for all his silky skills and instinctive talent didn't play in the modern era so he might not make the difference hoped for - I'd pick Ruan Pienaar instead.
Ferris I agree with, but I'd definitely play him at 8 to maximise his influence on the game.

Muller, Ferris, Pienaar - a leader at lock, a monster in the backrow, and a general at 9 those are the exact additions that Ulster need to the current team.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 4766
Join date : 2011-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by GeordieFalcon on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:10 am

Falcons is a tricky one...as my favorite ever falcons players aren't in positions i actually think we need at the moment (ie pat lam, Matt Burke, inga tuigamala, Gary Armstrong....) though I have picked big Carl!

So I have to pick players in positions we NEED

1. Johnny Wilkinson (FH) for obvious reasons.
2. Carl Hayman (TH prop) best prop I've ever seen!
3. Nick popplewell (LH Prop) tough Irish and Lions prop

Imagine that front row row Sgt!

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 20492
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:11 pm

It's tricky for the Crusaders, this year's team is unbeaten through 13 matches & strong right across the pitch - arguably the best club side on the planet currently*, but of course a couple of GOATs can be slotted in
1) Dan Carter - Mo'unga is developing nicely but ...
2) Richie McCaw again, Matt Todd is a handy player & will likely make the AB's squad next week, but ...
3) Kahn Fotuali'i - Justin Marshall would be another option, but I'd rather have Kahn's zip over Marshall's muscle.

Honourable mentions - Nemani Nadolo, Brad Thorn, Aaron Mauger, Richard Low, Greg Somerville - the first 3 in positions where there's pretty handy players currently, the latter 2 would be benching behind Franks. And of course Reuben Thorne - purely because the team hasn't one a title since he retired and invalidated the "Reuben Thorne Reuben Thorne Reuben Thorne ..." victory chant



*Hurricanes fans may argue
avatar
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Posts : 10925
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : London, England

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Welly on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Tigers is tough to but agree with LondonTiger Mutphy, Johnson and Richards would walk back into this team.

Another player I would love to have back in there prime is.
Alex Tuilagi - In his prime IMO the most destructive winger in the NH.


Welly

Posts : 4082
Join date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by wayne on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:45 pm

3 Players that would have made a significant impact to the Ospreys this season, would have been the Gavin Henson of the 2005 to 2008 era, the Shane Williams of his entire Osprey career and the same for Filo Tiatia, whose ethics totally underpinned our existence in his time with us. Honourable mentions also have to be Ryan, Duncan and Adam Jones along with the likes of Justin Marshall and Lee Byrne and the first season of Jerry Collins.

wayne

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Scott Quinnell - a big solid ball carrier, with hands, and an interesting character too.  Chris Wyatt - same as Scott.  Steve Jones - pretty much sums up what being a Scarlet is about. Honourable mention Sal Finau, and Simon Easterby, two true legends of the region, but I am not too sure either of them would fit in with the current squad, or playing style as much as the other three.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9907
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 34
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by funnyExiledScot on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Hmmm, not so easy for Edinburgh has we are a new outfit and haven't exactly been graced with any all time greats.

Mine would be:

Nathan Hines
Mike Blair
Chris Paterson

Simon Taylor is unlucky, but his injury record means he misses out. Scott Murray also unlucky.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15631
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 37
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:38 pm

No Todd Blackadder FES? Definitely agree on Blair and Hines

Tough to leave out Alan Jacobsen, just because he was a legend and more rugby players should look like this:

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Posts : 1282
Join date : 2013-11-07
Age : 32
Location : Brighton

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by funnyExiledScot on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Blackadder was a great leader but as a player I'd take both Hines and Murray ahead of him.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15631
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 37
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Bathite on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:01 am

Difficult one! I'd probably go for Grewcock in the second row, for his leadership and pure aggression. Stevens at tighthead, for his athleticism, carrying, workrate and was really solid at scrum time. Butch James for his playmaking and audacity (but his goal kicking was even worse than Fords, so would need Homer to kick from FB)

Bathite

Posts : 8435
Join date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:39 am

Gwent Dragons Shocked No, seriously! But a short history (since 2003):

Rod Snow: Fecking prop legend.
Jason Forster: Nails, and fecking legend.
Aled Brew: during his 1st and longest (I think) spell with us. Prolific and got the crowd going. Top try scorer for a few seasons on the trot. Getting a new lease of life now at Bath some 10 years or so on.

Honourable mentions: Percy Mongomery (class); Taulupe Faletau (class); Kevin Morgan (class).

Turkeys: too long to list Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Fiddler on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:00 am

If you take Ospreys from 2003 it would be Filo Tiatia Ryan Jones and Shane Williams. Maybe Henson and Marshall at their best.

Fiddler

Posts : 12
Join date : 2017-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by formerly known as Sam on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:27 am

Welly wrote: Tigers is tough to but agree with LondonTiger Mutphy, Johnson and Richards would walk back into this team.

Another player I would love to have back in there prime is.
Alex Tuilagi - In his prime IMO the most destructive winger in the NH.

Hard to argue with LT's reasoning. Alex was always a beast but at the minute Rabeni would be more useful as you could have him in the centre as well where we are currently a bit short. He was brutally physical and could offload as well as being an absolute gent.

Given our signing for 10 next season perhaps the unbelievably prolific Dusty Hare might be a shout over Geordan. Our points kicking would be in safe hands.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 12881
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 32
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Fiddler on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:49 am

Rabini at his peak was a beast. I still think you miss Thomas Waldron and Parling.

Fiddler

Posts : 12
Join date : 2017-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by formerly known as Sam on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:12 am

Fiddler wrote:Rabini at his peak was a beast. I still think you miss Thomas Waldron and Parling.

Waldrom nah. He never really worked in our style of play.

Parling was great for us but Kitchener is a good lineout general and is more physical so we're coping there. If I was bringing back a lineout general from history then it'd be Kay. Richards, Henry Tuilagi and Corry would all be preferable at 8 to Waldrom in my view as well.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 12881
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 32
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Welly on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:23 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Welly wrote: Tigers is tough to but agree with LondonTiger Mutphy, Johnson and Richards would walk back into this team.

Another player I would love to have back in there prime is.
Alex Tuilagi - In his prime IMO the most destructive winger in the NH.

Hard to argue with LT's reasoning. Alex was always a beast but at the minute Rabeni would be more useful as you could have him in the centre as well where we are currently a bit short. He was brutally physical and could offload as well as being an absolute gent.

Given our signing for 10 next season perhaps the unbelievably prolific Dusty Hare might be a shout over Geordan. Our points kicking would be in safe hands.

I'm assuming Toomua and Manu would be fit.

Welly

Posts : 4082
Join date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by formerly known as Sam on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:58 am

Welly wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
Welly wrote: Tigers is tough to but agree with LondonTiger Mutphy, Johnson and Richards would walk back into this team.

Another player I would love to have back in there prime is.
Alex Tuilagi - In his prime IMO the most destructive winger in the NH.

Hard to argue with LT's reasoning. Alex was always a beast but at the minute Rabeni would be more useful as you could have him in the centre as well where we are currently a bit short. He was brutally physical and could offload as well as being an absolute gent.

Given our signing for 10 next season perhaps the unbelievably prolific Dusty Hare might be a shout over Geordan. Our points kicking would be in safe hands.

I'm assuming Toomua and Manu would be fit.

Big assumption. I tend to think practically and that's my current concerns in the backline largely fixed by one player.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 12881
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 32
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Stone Motif on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 am

Griff wrote:Gwent Dragons Shocked No, seriously! But a short history (since 2003):

Rod Snow: Fecking prop legend.
Jason Forster: Nails, and fecking legend.
Aled Brew: during his 1st and longest (I think) spell with us. Prolific and got the crowd going. Top try scorer for a few seasons on the trot. Getting a new lease of life now at Bath some 10 years or so on.

Honourable mentions: Percy Mongomery (class); Taulupe Faletau (class); Kevin Morgan (class).

Turkeys: too long to list Sad

I'd have had Charvis for Forster and Clarteris for Snowy.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2685
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Stone Motif on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:15 am

Fiddler wrote:If you take Ospreys from 2003 it would be Filo Tiatia Ryan Jones and Shane Williams. Maybe Henson and Marshall at their best.

Mates for Life one and all
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2685
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Fiddler on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:22 am

Forget players I just wish we could go back to 2008 when Lyn was sacked and clear out the whole coaching staff. They blew a huge opportunity when we were relatively financially competitive.

Fiddler

Posts : 12
Join date : 2017-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 am

Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:Gwent Dragons Shocked No, seriously! But a short history (since 2003):

Rod Snow: Fecking prop legend.
Jason Forster: Nails, and fecking legend.
Aled Brew: during his 1st and longest (I think) spell with us. Prolific and got the crowd going. Top try scorer for a few seasons on the trot. Getting a new lease of life now at Bath some 10 years or so on.

Honourable mentions: Percy Mongomery (class); Taulupe Faletau (class); Kevin Morgan (class).

Turkeys: too long to list Sad

I'd have had Charvis for Forster and Clarteris for Snowy.

Each to their own! Charvis was good. Charteris took many many seasons to come into his own. Remember when he used to call the lineout, but never to himself! Rumours in the crowd for a few seasons that he suffered from vertigo and didn't like to jump! And remember his time out for a bad toe?! Seemed to be a whole season if memory serves! I just don't remember him having too many good seasons overall for the length of time he was there (some 10 years?).

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Stone Motif on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:25 pm

Griff wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:Gwent Dragons Shocked No, seriously! But a short history (since 2003):

Rod Snow: Fecking prop legend.
Jason Forster: Nails, and fecking legend.
Aled Brew: during his 1st and longest (I think) spell with us. Prolific and got the crowd going. Top try scorer for a few seasons on the trot. Getting a new lease of life now at Bath some 10 years or so on.

Honourable mentions: Percy Mongomery (class); Taulupe Faletau (class); Kevin Morgan (class).

Turkeys: too long to list Sad

I'd have had Charvis for Forster and Clarteris for Snowy.

Each to their own! Charvis was good. Charteris took many many seasons to come into his own. Remember when he used to call the lineout, but never to himself! Rumours in the crowd for a few seasons that he suffered from vertigo and didn't like to jump! And remember his time out for a bad toe?! Seemed to be a whole season if memory serves! I just don't remember him having too many good seasons overall for the length of time he was there (some 10 years?).

Yeah but now...we could do with those 20 stones. Think of the player he'd have been if we'd convinced him to bulk up a bit earlier. Phenomenal engine.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2685
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Ruan Pienaar Sad
Johann Muller
Stephen Ferris

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 26
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by HongKongCherry on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 pm

To improve the team, Mike Burton, Ian Jones and Mike Teague, but for sheer entertainment I'd want Simpson-Daniel back, a mercurial genius.
avatar
HongKongCherry

Posts : 3297
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Glawster

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Scottrf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Tonga'uiha
Mujati
Picamoles

I miss that front row, we desperately need an improved scrum and the carrying Tiny and Louis provide.

Scottrf

Posts : 13773
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by GeordieFalcon on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:09 am

HongKongCherry wrote:To improve the team, Mike Burton, Ian Jones and Mike Teague, but for sheer entertainment I'd want Simpson-Daniel back, a mercurial genius.

One of my favourite players of all time and one of Englands best ever...just tragic that he played so few for England.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 20492
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by GeordieFalcon on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:11 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Welly wrote: Tigers is tough to but agree with LondonTiger Mutphy, Johnson and Richards would walk back into this team.

Another player I would love to have back in there prime is.
Alex Tuilagi - In his prime IMO the most destructive winger in the NH.

Hard to argue with LT's reasoning. Alex was always a beast but at the minute Rabeni would be more useful as you could have him in the centre as well where we are currently a bit short. He was brutally physical and could offload as well as being an absolute gent.

Given our signing for 10 next season perhaps the unbelievably prolific Dusty Hare might be a shout over Geordan. Our points kicking would be in safe hands.

Frightening to think the Tigers had BOTH of them rampaging causing chaos!!

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 20492
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by formerly known as Sam on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:03 am

We certainly did GF. Ellis, Goode, Rabeni, Smith, Hipkiss, Murphy. What a backline with Varndell to rotate in. Really am hoping we can grab a big PI unit to help give us some of that midfield bosh we've been missing.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 12881
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 32
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Bathite on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:42 am

Big PI unit to give some midfield bosh......don't think Tuilagi will ever be fit again then? (Genuine question)

Bathite

Posts : 8435
Join date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by formerly known as Sam on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Bathite wrote:Big PI unit to give some midfield bosh......don't think Tuilagi will ever be fit again then? (Genuine question)

We're far to reliant on Manu for backline physicality. If he's not fit then it's up to Smith who has an ongoing back problem.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 12881
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 32
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by HongKongCherry on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:To improve the team, Mike Burton, Ian Jones and Mike Teague, but for sheer entertainment I'd want Simpson-Daniel back, a mercurial genius.

One of my favourite players of all time and one of Englands best ever...just tragic that he played so few for England.

Couldn't agree more Geordie. Mike Ford stated a few years ago he was the driving force behind Sinbad's lack of opportunity at international level due to his defence; he said in hindsight it was the wrong decision as his attacking ability far out-weighed his defensive frailty (not that it was that bad). It didn't help that the timings of his injuries couldn't be any worse!
avatar
HongKongCherry

Posts : 3297
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Glawster

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by stnick88 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Mapusua without doubt, most consistent AP centre for years.
Nick Kennedy would work well with De Chaves at lock.
One of the Armitage brothers, probably Delon. or Mike Catt.

stnick88

Posts : 5329
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Falcons is a tricky one...as my favorite ever falcons players aren't in positions i actually think we need at the moment  (ie pat lam, Matt Burke,  inga tuigamala, Gary Armstrong....) though I have picked big Carl!

So I have to pick players in positions we NEED

1. Johnny Wilkinson (FH) for obvious reasons.
2. Carl Hayman (TH prop) best prop I've ever seen!
3.  Nick popplewell (LH Prop) tough Irish and Lions prop

Imagine that front row row Sgt!

Would certainly be an improvent on our recent efforts. I'd be happy with Lockwood alongside Hayman (I think I would look decent with Hayman at TH) and trade Popplewell for Matt Burke Smile

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 33984
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Sin é on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Munster
1. Ronan O'Gara
2. David Wallace
3. Paul O'Connell

I'd be happy with what we have if we could have Axel back in any shape or form.
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13593
Join date : 2011-04-02
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by geoff999rugby on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Ferris
Pienaer

Ferris and Pienaer are the 2 truly world class players in the Professional era

Third one is tricky but on the basis we are short of a lock and a leader then Muller

geoff999rugby

Posts : 3928
Join date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Pete330v2 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:57 am

For Ulster:

Stevie F, 1F and Stephen Ferris. An honourable mention going to Fez of course.

Pete330v2

Posts : 3597
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by GeordieFalcon on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:37 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Falcons is a tricky one...as my favorite ever falcons players aren't in positions i actually think we need at the moment  (ie pat lam, Matt Burke,  inga tuigamala, Gary Armstrong....) though I have picked big Carl!

So I have to pick players in positions we NEED

1. Johnny Wilkinson (FH) for obvious reasons.
2. Carl Hayman (TH prop) best prop I've ever seen!
3.  Nick popplewell (LH Prop) tough Irish and Lions prop

Imagine that front row row Sgt!

Would certainly be an improvent on our recent efforts. I'd be happy with Lockwood alongside Hayman (I think I would look decent with Hayman at TH) and trade Popplewell for Matt Burke Smile

Big call on Lockwood there Sgt! I hope your right.....

But yes Burke was simply as good as they get!

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 20492
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by marty2086 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:36 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Ferris
Pienaer

Ferris and Pienaer are the 2 truly world class players in the Professional era

Third one is tricky but on the basis we are short of a lock and a leader then Muller

I keep thinking it would be nice to have a reliable TH too, maybe throw BJ with Ferris and Ruan

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Exiledinborders on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:42 pm

Phil Blakeway, Mike Teague and JSD.

I am told Mike Burton was great but he retired just before I moved to Gloucestershire so I never saw him play in the flesh.

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1512
Join date : 2012-03-19
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by GavinDragon on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:10 am

Griff wrote:Gwent Dragons Shocked No, seriously! But a short history (since 2003):

Rod Snow: Fecking prop legend.
Jason Forster: Nails, and fecking legend.
Aled Brew: during his 1st and longest (I think) spell with us. Prolific and got the crowd going. Top try scorer for a few seasons on the trot. Getting a new lease of life now at Bath some 10 years or so on.

Honourable mentions: Percy Mongomery (class); Taulupe Faletau (class); Kevin Morgan (class).

Turkeys: too long to list Sad

Would have to say Percy, Taulupe and Snow; although Charvis was another excellent signing for us.

GavinDragon

Posts : 2574
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 32
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by RiscaGame on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:23 am

From what I've seen, it would have to be Brew, Taulupe and Nigel Hall (to stay fit). I've only been a Dragons fan since 2009 and Hall has been our best young enough scrummaging tighthead. Of course, if I could sign somebody and roll back his years a bit, I'd pick Duncan Bell though. What an impact he made.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2187
Join date : 2016-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 am

RiscaGame wrote:From what I've seen, it would have to be Brew, Taulupe and Nigel Hall (to stay fit). I've only been a Dragons fan since 2009 and Hall has been our best young enough scrummaging tighthead. Of course, if I could sign somebody and roll back his years a bit, I'd pick Duncan Bell though. What an impact he made.

Nigel Hall?! That's a bit left field, Risca! Not sure he was even on my radar as a player. Can't really remember him too well!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by RiscaGame on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:27 am

Genuinely did think our scrum was better with him in it.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2187
Join date : 2016-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum