RG - Day 7

Go down

RG - Day 7

Post by sirfredperry on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:30 am

May not be much tennis today if Paris weather forecast is accurate. Let's hope for the best. Murray-delpo second on but who knows if they'll finish?
   Anyone prepared to say who might emerge as the women's champion?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Re: RG - Day 7

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

Kyle Edmund looking in a strong position just now. He leads Anderson 7-6 5-4 and Anderson has had treated for a leg injury.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:46 am

Andy Murray takes to court to take on Juan Martin del Potro.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 12:12 pm

Murray broken in his second service game to go a break down early in the first set.

Edmund loses the second set in a tie-breaker to go level on sets (1 to 1) against big serving Anderson.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 12:37 pm

Kyle Edmund is playing with bravery - he is up against it but hanging on. He hasn't had a single break point on the Anderson serve, while Anderson has had 7 breakpoints on the Edmund serve without winning one. But Anderson is the more threatening player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 12:53 pm

Murray breaks back. 5-5 first set.
Edmund - Anderson: 7-6 6-7 5-5

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

Good match this.

Tales of the decline of either of these players are greatly exaggerated and expect the winner of this to get to the final (injury permitting)

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:08 pm

Kyle Edmund first to break and serves out to take the third set. He leads 7-6 6-7 7-5

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:11 pm

banbrotam wrote:expect the winner of this to get to the final (injury permitting)
That is a strong statement.  There are other guys in the top half who could well beat either of the two.  I would be shocked if Delpo made the final.  I could see Andy making it if everything clicks for him, but even that I think would be less than 50%.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:14 pm

Kyle Edmund tends to run out of puff in long matches - and his match with Anderson is reaching the three hour mark. He has just lost his serve to love so Anderson has a break early in the fourth set. I expect Anderson to win in five - unless Edmund has dramatically improved his fitness levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:15 pm

summerblues wrote:
banbrotam wrote:expect the winner of this to get to the final (injury permitting)
That is a strong statement.  There are other guys in the top half who could well beat either of the two.  I would be shocked if Delpo made the final.  I could see Andy making it if everything clicks for him, but even that I think would be less than 50%.

At present I'd agree. For me this tournament is all about Murray getting some momentum going into the grass court season and playing himself into a bit of form which he may just be doing. Anything beyond the QF's for Murray considering the past few months is a bonus for Murray. Del Potro set point as I type.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:20 pm

An epic first set is won by Murray 10-8 in the tie-break.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:25 pm

Edmund heading for a breadstick in the fourth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:26 pm

Poor Delpo. Choked that first set away.

No way back from here for him. Murray will win this comfortably now. Be surprised if Del potro wins more than five games.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:28 pm

Edmund has fitness issues, I think. Would expect Anderson to outlast him

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:29 pm

I think Delpo has a fitness problem a long drawn out first set will be his downfall now me thinks
I did hear he was suffering with a groin strain.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:37 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
summerblues wrote:

At present I'd agree. For me this tournament is all about Murray getting some momentum going into the grass court season and playing himself into a bit of form which he may just be doing. Anything beyond the QF's for Murray considering the past few months is a bonus for Murray. Del Potro set point as I type.

Murray's "form" was back from the start of the third set of his first round match

Of course it's been a worry to see when the poor form would stop, but he is currently playing no worse than he was during the Autumn where if you remember (and we both agreed) that he did just enough to get over the line in a lot of his matches, with the glorious exception been his win over Novak

In fact I argued that his form was distinctly average after his Wimbledon win

My point is, that if we're looking for a player to be playing great all the time in a tournament then we need to stop it - because we almost never get that from Andy

Of course this doesn't mean he's going to beat Rafa or Roger, but for the last few sets he's looked like a Top 5 player

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:40 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:I think Delpo has a fitness problem a long drawn out first set will be his downfall now me thinks

But so does Murray (i.e. questions about his elbow) I do hope if Murray wins, we're not going to have the often quote 'opposition injury' excuse Rolling Eyes

Long way to go though, as usual Andy who's just had a great opportunity for a double break, decides to keep Delboy in the set - so you never know

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:42 pm

banbrotam wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
summerblues wrote:

Murray's "form" was back from the start of the third set of his first round match

Of course it's been a worry to see when the poor form would stop, but he is currently playing no worse than he was during the Autumn where if you remember (and we both agreed) that he did just enough to get over the line in a lot of his matches, with the glorious exception been his win over Novak

My point is, that if we're looking for a player to be playing great all the time in a tournament then we need to stop it - because we almost never get that from Andy

Of course this doesn't mean he's going to beat Rafa or Roger, but for the last few sets he's looked like a Top 5 player

Oh the signs are there that a bit of form is returning and with it the confidence will come. I just have to air on the side of caution though about making bold predictions about Andy just now.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:43 pm

banbrotam wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:I think Delpo has a fitness problem a long drawn out first set will be his downfall now me thinks

But so does Murray (i.e. questions about his elbow) I do hope if Murray wins, we're not going to have the often quote 'opposition injury' excuse Rolling Eyes

Long way to go though, as usual Andy who's just had a great opportunity for a double break, decides to keep Delboy in the set - so you never know

And lets remember Del Potro did only have to play two sets in the last round whilst Murray was on court for three and a half hours plus.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:45 pm

banbrotam wrote:

You are reading something that's not there.. this was not intended to be an excuse .. it was intended as information a fact that Delpo himself reported after Almagro's injury retirement. Frankly I never expected Delpo to win this match anyway ok?

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:47 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
summerblues wrote:

Oh the signs are there that a bit of form is returning and with it the confidence will come. I just have to air on the side of caution though about making bold predictions about Andy just now.

I'm not saying he'll win it!! Nor am I confident about Wimbledon. I predict a very good summer American hardcourt season (and it would be about time too Smile )

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:50 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

You are reading something that's not there.. this was not intended to be an excuse .. it was intended as information a fact that Delpo himself reported after Almagro's injury retirement. Frankly I never expected Delpo to win this match anyway  ok?

I do feel for him though. Hopefully, Juan can continue to scale the rankings and so get easier early round matches to ease him into tournaments more. He really is someone deserving of so much admiration.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:52 pm

I agree and when you think what he has been through and what his ranking now is .. he has done remarkably well.. I'm not sure the poor guy needs excuses he is giving Andy something to think about anyway Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:53 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
summerblues wrote:

The fact that Del Potro almost took the first set while playing without a proper backhand tells me Murray's level still isn't quite high enough to reach the final - let alone win the tournament.
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:30 pm

Stan down a break to Foggy ... FF serving for the first set

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:32 pm

Edmund loses in five sets to Anderson whilst Murray leads 7-6 7-5 3-0.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:36 pm

Stan equalises 5-5

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:50 pm

6-6 tie break

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:51 pm

And Murray wins 7-6 7-5 6-0 to venture through to the 4th round. His best performance of the tournament so far and for some time this season. Still some improvements needed though. Tough on Del Potro who fought like a lion. Nothing but admiration for him.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:57 pm

Stan takes the first set TB

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:59 pm

Indeed Andy needs to improve further. But the way he fought to win that first set when not playing well ; and then upped his game as the match went on , suggests he might do so.
Maybe Isner next ? Pretty winnable on clay , no ?

I can't see him beating Nadal , say . But looks as if he might be on his way back into some form before the grass starts...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 3:04 pm

I assume Ivan the Terrible is with Murray making sure he goes through the pain barrier.

Edmund needs to improve his fitness levels and learn how to manage his energy levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 4:40 pm

I thought the last part of the first set in the Murray match was particularly good. Some terrific rallies and hardly any UEs. Key to it was the fact that delpo got very few first serves in during the last part of that set, particularly in the key 10th game when 5-4 up.
   Delpo just needs to get his ranking up. He's had lousy luck with the draws and so keeps meeting the big boys too early. Either Khachanov or Isner next up for Murray. Should get thru to quarters.
   Pity about Edmund. Came close. I see they are off for rain now. Good job the women's match before Andy's was so short and that he was able to get done and dusted before the bad weather, despite the marathon first set.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Altering wording)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 4:49 pm

prostaff85 wrote:The fact that Del Potro almost took the first set while playing without a proper backhand tells me Murray's level still isn't quite high enough to reach the final - let alone win the tournament.

Didn't stop DP getting to an Olympic final and devastating Nole.

He also beat Murray at the Davis Cup, when I assume you be thinking that Murray is playing better than he is now

Other than Wimbledon last year, I can't think of a single event where Murray's ever inspired confidence of any watcher. He's a touch / mood player and can play like some amateur of best ever, often in the same rally!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 4:59 pm

Other than the possibly the Wimbledon and O2 finals, I'm struggling to remember a better Murray performance since his Stan win in last years semi

Hence, I'm interested in where Murray can "improve further" or why some thing his "level still isn't quite high enough to reach the final"

Can someone tell me which other matches, in his run during the second half of the year, that gives us hope for further improvement please?

Genuine question, because I can't think of any. He was distinctly average at The Olympics, Cinci and US Open and had numerous hard matches right up to the O2 final

My point is that if Rafa and Novak play well here, he was never winning the event anyway

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 5:52 pm

banbrotam wrote:Other than the possibly the Wimbledon and O2 finals, I'm struggling to remember a better Murray performance since his Stan win in last years semi

Hence, I'm interested in where Murray can "improve further" or why some thing his "level still isn't quite high enough to reach the final"

Can someone tell me which other matches, in his run during the second half of the year, that gives us hope for further improvement please?

Genuine question, because I can't think of any. He was distinctly average at The Olympics, Cinci and US Open and had numerous hard matches right up to the O2 final

My point is that if Rafa and Novak play well here, he was never winning the event anyway

Hard to really judge how good a performance it was.

From my point of view it was definitely his best performance of the season. I am still in the mindset of taking one match at a time here and with each win it seems his level is rising which augurs well for the rest of the season. The reason I will refrain from looking too far ahead though is that one very good performance does not mean his problems are behind him. One match at a time I say. But today the unforced errors he reduced, he served better as the match went on and won the key points in the match.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 5:54 pm

Andy's luck with the scheduling (second on after a quick women's match) means that he's at a distinct advantage over his next opponent (s).
   May be the low expectations he, and others, had of his chances here will help.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum