The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End of Season Awards - Season 9

+3
stnick88
Steven_Sharks
Fluxy
7 posters

Go down

End of Season Awards - Season 9 Empty End of Season Awards - Season 9

Post by Fluxy Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

Manager of the Season -
Team of the Season -
Most Improved Team of the Season -
Player of the Season -
EQ Player of the Season -
Academy Player of the Season (Academy aged this season) -
Find of the Season -
Signing of the Season -

XV of the Season (You can't put in any of your own side)

Last edited by Fluxy on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

End of Season Awards - Season 9 Empty Re: End of Season Awards - Season 9

Post by Fluxy Mon 05 Jun 2017, 11:32 am

Manager of the Season - Bam
Bam has had an excellent season of leading the Falcons to glory in the AP and also battling on other fronts. This time last season I was giving Bam an honourable mention in most improved team of the season, so shows a good knowledge of his tactics to help get him here. Kind of the games Exeter Chiefs in a way, and look forward to seeing how Bam can keep the Falcons ontop and in front for next season. 

Team of the Season - Sale Sharks

Might be an odd one, however to lead the league all season and to be back-to-back reigning European Champions is some feat. I'm not going to say they were unlucky in the Play-offs, however it was a surprise they lost, and I'm sure SJE will be eyeing up an unprecedented third defence of his Euro title and re-capturing the AP Title. 

Most Improved Team of the Season - Exeter Chiefs

Comparing the end points of the teams last season and how they have finished this season, Nick has done a great job of getting Champions Cup Rugby down to the Sandy Park. A mention also to CJ at Bristol, after being promoted and ensuring they have rugby for the 2017/18 season was a great achievement. 

Player of the Season - Owen Farrell
Whenever he has been listed for Falcons, you expect them to win. His ability to control the game for the Falcons and unleash his talented back line has been vital for them. The next person to rival the contribution to their team was Jimmy Gopperth, who managed to steer some big results Bristol's way and help secure safety in the Premiership with a few games to spare. Henshaw has been massive for Quins, as has Billy, Daly and Murray for Saints, but Faz is there or there about with regard to delivering exactly what is needed from player and a leader on the field.  

EQ Player of the Season - George Kruis 

Kruis has been someone I have admired as a player for a while, and when he has been present for Quins he does bring another level to their pack. A great line out operator, but also a nuisance around the park. Kruis has helped develop a strong spine into the Quins spine and is someone they can lean on for the future. Another honorable mention would be to his Quins team mate Jack Nowell who again has been immense, and also Kruis's international partner in crime, Maro Itoje, who has done a similar job to George, in becoming invaluable for the Sharks cause. 

Academy Player of the Season (Academy aged this season) - Damian McKenzie
A player that can set the field on fire, but also ties in a great tactical game if needed. McKenzie has consistently been in the Quins back three and kicking them a shed load of points for the cause. Honorable mentions go to Genge who has come on a lot recently, and Anton Leinert-Brown, a fellow Kiwi to McKenzie who has also looked assured in the Worcester midfield. Rieko Ioane also get a late nod, but not a consistent force to win the award. 

Find of the Season - Jordie Barrett
Not quite a find of the whole season, which I found quite difficult to find a clear cut winner. However, Jordie has forged his way into the Sharks back line and cut teams to shreds in his limited game time. He will become a much more effective in years to come, but right now is a joy to watch. Quick nod to Scott Barrett who has developed massively since arriving as Wasps.

Signing of the Season - Greg Laidlaw to Exeter Chiefs

This could have gone to Aaron Smith moving to Bath, however I don't think that deal has beared the fruit that CJB had hoped for, at least he may get the full effect with a good pre-season. Nevertheless, Nick bringing in Greg helped provide a stability and control to the Chiefs which they have lacked a little. This in turn has allowed them to win some narrow games and secure Champions Cup rugby for the 2017/18 season. 

1. Mako Vunipola (Northampton Saints)
2. Guilherm Guirado (Saracens)
3. Vincent Koch (Newcastle Falcons)
4. Brodie Retalick (Sale Sharks)
5. George Kruis (Harlequins)
6. Peter O'Mahony (Sale Sharks)
7. Ardie Savea (Gloucester Rugby)
8. Kieran Read (Newcastle Falcons)
9. Rhys Webb (Newcastle Falcons)
10. Owen Farrell (Newcastle Falcons)
11. Waisake Naholo (Worcester Warriors)
12. Anton Leinert-Brown (Worcester Warriors)
13. Elliott Daly (Northampton Saints)
14. Jack Nowell (Harlequins)
15. Damian McKenzie (Harlequins)

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Mon 05 Jun 2017, 8:58 pm

Manager of the Season - Has to be Bam. I don't think Newcastle were ever really in the battle for the league until the final, with a shock result in the semi suddenly catapulting them into favourite status in the final. The challenge begins now trying to defend this.

Team of the Season - Newcatsle have to take this. Winning the league as an outsider it can only be them. Bam has found the tricky balance only a few managers have managed in getting a competitive side out each week which eventually pays dividends at the back end.

Most Improved Team of the Season - Exeter have been slowly building for a while now but under Nick's reign they have taken another step forward. They have quality across the pitch and will be threatening the top half of the table next season.

Player of the Season - The guy who has made the most impact in predos for me this year is Ben Smith. He is a rock in defence and electric with ball in hand. Always has an influence on my predictions.

EQ Player of the Season - Has to be Owen Farrell. He is another crucial cog in the Newcastle system who makes a enormous impact on the predictions. He is a brilliant controller and playmaker who is arguably the worlds best in his position.

Academy Player of the Season (Academy aged this season) -  Maro Itoje was right in the mix for both other awards and in this age group he is peerless. An incredible player who will be an incredible Lion this summer. 

Find of the Season - I'm going for Rohan Janse Van Rensburg. I was heart broken when Pooly outbid me in the summer and he is a very strong player who could be one of the integral figures in the SA revival that is surely soon to be on the cards. 

Signing of the Season - 

1. Mako Vunipola 
2. Jamie George
3. Vincent Koch
4. Maro Itoje
5. Jonny Gray
6. CJ Stander

7. Facundo Isa
8. Billy Vunipola
9. Aaron Smith
10. Owen Farrell
11. Nick Abendanon
12. Rohan Janse Van Rensburg
13. Elliot Daly
14. Chris Ashton
15. Ben Smith

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Tue 06 Jun 2017, 4:45 pm

Manager of the Season - Bam
Team of the Season - Newcastle Falcons
Most Improved Team of the Season - Bristol
Player of the Season - CJ Stander
EQ Player of the Season - Farrell
Academy Player of the Season (Academy aged this season) - Itoje
Find of the Season - Rieko Ioane
Signing of the Season - Van Rensburg

1. Mako Vunipola
2. Jamie George
3. Owen Franks
4. Maro Itoje
5. Sam Whitelock
6. CJ Stander
7. Sam Warburton
8. Billy Vunipola
9. Rhys Webb
10. Owen Farrell
11. Charles Piatau
12. Jimmy Gopperth
13. Ben Te'o
14. Jack Nowell
15. Ben Smith

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 06 Jun 2017, 6:27 pm

Manager of the Season -

Chris ... an amazing feat to compete on about 6 fronts Run

Fluxy gets this for me, Leicester were more or less rock bottom and have risen up the table while being a real tough game for anyone with the gritty pack and big carriers they have. Given his eye for a deal, I'd expect this to continue next season

Team of the Season - Sale

I may have somehow beaten Sale on the road in the semi finals, but there literally isn't a weakness in that squad and they are by far the best team in the league for me. I kick myself weekly for not picking up Jordie Barrett when I was deciding between him and someone else last summer, and SJE keeps rolling with some of the best young talent around - they'll be back up there next season for sure

Most Improved Team of the Season - Exeter

Close between Exeter and Leicester, but Exeter finished higher up the table so I'll give it to them. Look strong in every area, and think they can kick on to challenge for the top 4 next year

Player of the Season - Beauden Barrett

It may not have translated to wins on the scoreboard for Bath, but he was the single biggest difference maker in predictions for me, if the pack matched his talent I would have awarded Bath a try bonus point in every game

EQ Player of the Season - Elliot Daly

Little bit left field, but to go from a young talent to being a difference maker internationally and in our game is a great season for him. He's shown his quality and in that Saints backline he'll be a real star next season

Academy Player of the Season (Academy aged this season) - Damian Mckenzie

So easily could have been Itoje but I don't think he quite scaled the heights of his first season. Mckenzie offers a great boot, sizzling attacking play and the ability to bring others into the game. Quins have one of the best backlines in the league and Mckenzie is a key part of it despite not getting international recognition yet

Find of the Season - Ben Teo

Maybe not a find in the traditional sense, but Fluxy took the chance on the former league man, and he's paid dividends as a power runner to really complement the big work rate of the Leicester pack. To go from not being in the game to now being a contender for a Lions jersey says it all

Signing of the Season - Reece Hodge

There's not many players who seamlessly slide into a side as good as Sale, but Hodge has come in and had a cracking season, inside centre was arguably the weakest area for Sale but he's made a real impact. Van Rensburg gets an honourable mention

1. Jack McGrath
2. Guillem Guirado
3. Owen Franks
4. Joe Launchbury
5. Brodie Retallick
6. CJ Stander
7. Josh Van Der Flier
8. Billy Vunipola
9. TJ Perenara
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Reiko Ioane
12. Reece Hodge
13. Anton Leinart Brown
14. Elliot Daly
15. Damian Mckenzie

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 09 Jun 2017, 12:40 pm

Manager of the Season - BAM

Has to be Bam, still don't know how he done it but it's great for the league.

Team of the Season - Saints

In everything and competing but let down by their manager

Most Improved Team of the Season - Exeter

Nick has did a great job, top manager.

Player of the Season - Francouis Louw

A bit left field but he always gets good ratings I feel and has dragged Falcons through this year.

EQ Player of the Season - George Kruis

Big fan, right up there with the best in his position

Academy Player of the Season (Academy aged this season) - Itoje

Having a bit of 2nd season syndrome I feel but such a player at such a tender age.

Find of the Season - Jordie Barrett

Fecking Johnny outbid me by 1m and he looks like he could be better than Beauden! See Solomana for exactly the same thing.....

Signing of the Season - Courtney Lawes

1. Marler
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Retalick
5. Kruis
6. Stander
7. Louw
8. Vuinipola

9. Murray
10. Barrett
11. Ioane
12. Farrell
13. JJ
14. Nowell
15. Smith

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 11 Jun 2017, 2:16 pm

Mark
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 12 Jun 2017, 11:22 pm

Manager of the Season - BamBam
Team of the Season - Newcastle. Falcons breaking into the championship winners is a huge achievement and gets both team and manager a lot of kudos, against some really top sides. The team building and balance has been incredible and the tactics sharp.
Most Improved Team of the Season - Exeter have been sharpened considerably and taken a long way in a short period of time.
Player of the Season - Kruis. Thought he was bang average when he was first capped for England. Now key for Saracens, England and even the Lions. Owns the line out. Would be a fair bet for IRB player of the season.
EQ Player of the Season - well, Kruis, but also Farrell who is a rock and probably both deserve to tie for this and the overall player of the season. Daly not far off but tainted a bit by autumn.
Academy Player of the Season (Academy aged this season) - a few great steps up this season at all levels but I'll say McKenzie, who really should be making the ABs not the Maori.
Find of the Season -
Teo has been much better than expected and a real boon. Expect J Barrett and Solomona to be key for their clubs next season too. Signing of the Season - Denny Solomona a sneaky buy, but just edged by signing Matt Todd

1. Vunipola
2. Guirado
3. Sinckler
4. J Gray
5. Kruis
6. Stander
7. Todd
8. Vunipola
9. Perenara
10. Farrell
11. Ioane
12. Van Rensburg
13. Daly
14. Nowell
15. McKenzie

ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Thu 22 Jun 2017, 10:32 am

CJB, Pull, SJE and Prop, could you please get an entry in soon? I can then accumulate all of the responses and make it official  End of Season Awards - Season 9 3559488474

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu 22 Jun 2017, 7:41 pm

Manager of the Season -
Team of the Season - Bam
Most Improved Team of the Season - Sharks
Player of the Season - Beauden Barrett
EQ Player of the Season - Itoje
Academy Player of the Season (Academy aged this season) - Mckenzie