The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Squad for T20's against South Africa

+8
guildfordbat
JDizzle
jimbohammers
Gooseberry
wisden
VTR
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England Squad for T20's against South Africa - Page 2 Empty England Squad for T20's against South Africa

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

England squad

Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire) – available for the first two matches of the series
Sam Billings (Kent)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Mason Crane (Hampshire)
Tom Curran (Surrey)
Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Jordan (Sussex)
Liam Livingstone (Lancashire)
Dawid Malan (Middlesex)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, captain)
Craig Overton (Somerset) – available for the last two matches of the series
Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
David Willey (Yorkshire)
Mark Wood (Durham) – available for the first match of the series

Crane, Livingstone, Curran, Overton? Be still my beating heart heart heart heart
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England Squad for T20's against South Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: England Squad for T20's against South Africa

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Livingstone now nicks one to slip and given not out. Not a good day for umpiring
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England Squad for T20's against South Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: England Squad for T20's against South Africa

Post by JDizzle Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 pm

At the risk of disagreeing on Roy for the second time in three days, I think that is our. Roy knew exactly what he was doing - and no turning circle is the width of a wicket!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:11 pm

JDizzle wrote:At the risk of disagreeing on Roy for the second time in three days, I think that is our. Roy knew exactly what he was doing - and no turning circle is the width of a wicket!

Dizzle are you just trying to wind me up deliberately these days Wink

Livingstone playing a bit of a mare here - 8 off 11...England now need 29 off 3 overs.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm

12 off the last over - England have absolutely South Africa'd this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Yeah, that is a horror show of a first knock from Livingstone. Dawson showing why he was right to stay down that end!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I know you want to see what a young batsman can do but if morgan batted ahead of livingstone the game would have been won. IMO livingstone looked a bag of nerves

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:34 pm

If you like to see the funny side of cricket, Livingstone has just produced a masterpiece on debut. Dropped a dolly, didn't middle any shots, broke his bat, nicked one to slip and didn't walk, managed to annoy every Saffer within 2 balls of being at the crease, and then one of the all time great best/worst run outs of all time.

Incredible
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Great game of cricket.
A debut to forget for Livingstone, who had a mare.
Morris brilliant with the ball

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
JDizzle wrote:At the risk of disagreeing on Roy for the second time in three days, I think that is our. Roy knew exactly what he was doing - and no turning circle is the width of a wicket!

Dizzle are you just trying to wind me up deliberately these days Wink

Livingstone playing a bit of a mare here - 8 off 11...England now need 29 off 3 overs.

Been out all evening. Just watched a couple of recordings of Roy's dismissal. Sorry, Olly but I'm actually with JD. Roy saw where the ball was, turned and blatantly moved over to the other side of the wicket which prevented it hitting the stumps as he dashed back. I may be wrong here but I believe it's irrelevant if the ball was going to miss - the penalty / dismissal is for the deliberate obstruction alone (and I consider what he did was deliberate); regardless of what it actually prevented. Important to note imo that Roy made no attempt to get in his crease by diving at the end; he stayed upright which ensured the ball couldn't hit the stumps and, in fact, struck him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:20 pm

Tom Curran's stats are good. Deserved?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 am

guildfordbat wrote:Tom Curran's stats are good. Deserved?

I think they were , guildford. He got the first wicket immediately in an excellent first over ; got murdered in his second - and subsequently came back to bowl with pace and intelligence and claim the other two wickets late on - the fast Yorker to skittle his last victim was a beauty.
Looked like he belonged.

Unlike the unfortunate Livingstone , I'm afraid - he rather froze on the big stage . First game so not dismissing him yet but certainly a disappointment. Ah well with Crane of the newcomers making a handy debut the other day I guess we can say two out of three ain't bad ...

By the way that Line of Duty 4th series arrives at last on Melbourne TV next week so I will see how it lives up to your advance publicity !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:20 am

And I have to agree with the umpire and others (sorry , Olly) that regardless of quite what was going through Roy's head his movements strongly suggested at least a willingness to make a direct hit less likely : how often does a batsman run clear to the opposite side of the pitch ? Guilty intent or no , he was always going to be given out for that. Silly thing is with a tighter turn and a dive he'd probably have been safe anyway.

England rather threw that one away , didn't they ? Morris bowled really well , fair enough ; but after the big partnership they needed just 48 from six with eight wickets in hand - I nearly said "this is safe" and retired to sleep but wanted to see the new boy bat.
Livingstone coming in ahead of Mogs seemed reasonable from a tryout point of view ( though perhaps it hinted at complacency ?) and even though it just didn't work one would normally have backed Buttler and/or Morgan to finish the job fairly routinely. Both failing was a real surprise : but for heavens sake why did Dawson come in a ahead of Plunkett ? Surely the latter would have been more likely to land the couple of big hits required to finish the job ? (Not to disparage Dawson who was inches from achieving a six and likely a single to tie the game at the end ; but Plunkett is a more noted big hitter. ) Lack of planning ? Or just too many Liam s confusing the skipper Smile

At least now we have a decider.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 am

alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Tom Curran's stats are good. Deserved?

I think they were , guildford.  He got the first wicket immediately in an excellent first over ; got murdered in his second  - and subsequently came back to bowl with pace and intelligence and claim the other two wickets late on - the fast Yorker to skittle his last victim was a beauty.
Looked like he belonged.

Unlike the unfortunate Livingstone , I'm afraid - he rather froze on the big stage . First game so not dismissing him yet but certainly a disappointment.  Ah well with Crane of the newcomers making a handy debut the other day I guess we can say two out of three ain't bad ...

By the way that Line of Duty 4th series arrives at last on Melbourne TV next week so I will see how it lives up to your advance publicity !

Thanks, Alfie. One of the things I like about him for Surrey is that he never ducks a challenge; always prepared to take responsibility, particularly at the start and in the death overs. Still only 22 as well - that often gets overlooked as people focus on his brother still being a teenager. Someone whom Tom Curran credits as regularly giving him good bowling advice is Jade Dernbach, just saying. Whistle

We'll talk about the last couple of episodes of Line of Duty once you've seen them but, blimey, strap yourself in for the start! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Roy
Hales
Malan
Buttler (capt)
Billings
Livingstone
Plunkett
Willey
Jordan
Curran
Crane

The team today - no debut given to Craig Overton...suggest he is either carrying something or simply hasn't impressed in nets. South Africa won the toss and will bowl first
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:22 pm

England 88-1 off 10 overs - Malan 55*, Hales 21* - Malan has played beautifully, Hales a little starved of strike but has not been fluent.

Think they're gonna need 180 to be in the game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Hmm...

Root ? Bairstow ? Morgan ? Who needs 'em ? Smile

Heck , Roy did them a favour getting out of the way early to let this chap in. Smile

Seriously though : pretty remarkable debut we are witnessing clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:54 pm

alfie wrote:Hmm...

Root ? Bairstow ? Morgan ? Who needs 'em ?   Smile

Heck , Roy did them a favour getting out of the way early to let this chap in.  Smile

Seriously though : pretty remarkable debut we are witnessing  clap

Just shows the sheer depth of quality one day batsmen England have - great stuff from Malan
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Got to credit Livingstone - he's made an impression so far laughing

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:09 pm

Thoroughly enjoying the Liam Livingstone comedy tour
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Quite spectacular bowling at the end though. Making it look easy

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:13 pm

181-8 off 20 overs - par I'd say, some very good death bowling by SA keeps England in check. Disappointing couple of games for Billings and Livingstone, you begin wonder how many more chances Billings gets with guys like Duckett, Vince, Bell Drummond waiting in the wings
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Cant be many players out there with a worse international record than Livingstone ....not that many wouldve even got a second chamce after the first game!
Its as well time is on his side....but right now hes not exactly pressing a case is he!

The worry is if this experience knocks him, especially seeing some of his contemporaries really grasp their chances. He wont even get in the lions if he loses his domestic form as well.

As it is whats virtually a lions side has set a stiff target even carrying a passenger. SA really arent at their best on this tour and should be embaressed if they are beaten in the series

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Thoroughly enjoying the Liam Livingstone comedy tour

A bit uncharitable , Olly Smile

I have some sympathy for him today...coming in at that point he was on a hiding to nothing ; could have played safe to start but he tried to manufacture a score (unwisely : I do not think there are many bats who are good enough to walk in and play one of those trick shots first ball !). But it does add to the horror of his first game...maybe he'll get a bowl later...

On that point above ; I wish the later order wouldn't try and get too cute with these ramps and things : fine for a Buttler , but mere mortals are better off standing up and hitting straight.

England rather wasted the finish - though credit to the bowler ! Good score though .

And an excellent debut for Malan Bubbly

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Curran strikes ! Got the magic touch with these first overs thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:49 pm

JJ Smuts hits the cover off one to Buttler and somehow the umpire doesn't give it out...next two balls hit for 6 and 4

Umpiring horrible again
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:52 pm

So two gone and the power play restricted to 38 .

Hmm. ABDV might go nuts and win it for SA ; but I think England are in a good spot...

Good time for Crane to try his wares.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:02 pm

59-3 off 9.1 overs - Miller and ABDV at the crease.

This is the game for SA - if these two are still in come 18/19 overs you'd think they've won...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:59-3 off 9.1 overs - Miller and ABDV at the crease.

This is the game for SA - if these two are still in come 18/19 overs you'd think they've won...

Without wishing to jinx England I'd be surprised if these two last that long or get anywhere near the target.

And right on cue ...Crane gets de Villiers Yahoo

Gotta go ...but reckon England have this.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Good stuff from Crane - ABDV got after him, but he kept his nerve and kept throwing it up and gets his man. Great celebration too!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:14 pm

JJ Smuts definitely ends up signing a 3 year deal with Northants in 2019 I reckon
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Good stuff from Crane - ABDV got after him, but he kept his nerve and kept throwing it up and gets his man. Great celebration too!

And a lovely final over to Behardien goes for 2 runs - batsman couldn't play him. Very promising start to his international career!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Away all weekend but seems a great debut from Malan (don't rule him out of Test contention) and another good performance from Tom Curran. Pleased as well that Crane got a wicket - now to find that and his celebration on youtube. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:181-8 off 20 overs - par I'd say, some very good death bowling by SA keeps England in check. Disappointing couple of games for Billings and Livingstone, you begin wonder how many more chances Billings gets with guys like Duckett, Vince, Bell Drummond waiting in the wings

Add Foakes in as well. Although Billings has been getting in as a specialist bat/finisher his trump card has always been as a batsman keeper. But with Bairstow making the point he can (should) play limited overs cricket and Buttler being Buttler he should be seen as fourth choice now in my opinion.
His record domesticaly (including IPL) and potential is well known, but at some point you do need to actually convert that into scores. Yes you could argue that being a bit part player and not getting a run in the team hasnt helped him ... but Bairstows had the same and done much better with his limited chances.

As it stands England have a very healthy stable of established and upcoming batting talents. Its still the premier "superstar" bowlers they seem light on, espeically in the spin department.
Cranes getting a lot of plaudits but ultimately he ended up with figures of 1-62 at 7.75. Hardly earth shattering stuff, and worse than donkey Dawsons. Hes still a raw talent and massively lacking in experience, its great that England are backing him early but I suspect it will be a while before hes ready to really push for a place in a first choice line up in any format....espeically as a non batter. Hes at least show he has the nerve and can handle being slapped around by one of the best batsmen in history, its also good to see that the capatin continued to back him (as they have Livingstone).
The young players certainly cant feel they havent been given the opportunity to press a case. Whether or not that means we will see the likes of Overton and Foakes in England shirts again in the near future waits to be seen.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:26 am

Gooseberry wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:181-8 off 20 overs - par I'd say, some very good death bowling by SA keeps England in check. Disappointing couple of games for Billings and Livingstone, you begin wonder how many more chances Billings gets with guys like Duckett, Vince, Bell Drummond waiting in the wings

Add Foakes in as well. Although Billings has been getting in as a specialist bat/finisher his trump card has always been as a batsman keeper. But with Bairstow making the point he can (should) play limited overs cricket and Buttler being Buttler he should be seen as fourth choice now in my opinion.
His record domesticaly (including IPL) and potential is well known, but at some point you do need to actually convert that into scores. Yes you could argue that being a bit part player and not getting a run in the team hasnt helped him ... but Bairstows had the same and done much better with his limited chances.

As it stands England have a very healthy stable of established and upcoming batting talents. Its still the premier "superstar" bowlers they seem light on, espeically in the spin department.
Cranes getting a lot of plaudits but ultimately he ended up with figures of 1-62 at 7.75. Hardly earth shattering stuff, and worse than donkey Dawsons. Hes still a raw talent and massively lacking in experience, its great that England are backing him early but I suspect it will be a while before hes ready to really push for a place in a first choice line up in any format....espeically as a non batter. Hes at least show he has the nerve and can handle being slapped around by one of the best batsmen in history, its also good to see that the capatin continued to back him (as they have Livingstone).
The young players certainly cant feel they havent been given the opportunity to press a case. Whether or not that means we will see the likes of Overton and Foakes in England shirts again in the near future waits to be seen.

Goose - given the above post could easily be interpreted as more than even mildly supportive of a Surrey player, I should flag that someone appears to have hacked into your computer and is posting under your name. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2