The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joke fights here we come!!

+51
Sidestep
Good Golly I'm Olly
Ent
Fernando
Collapse2005
ShockmasterV2
Pedro147
paperbag_puncher
eirebilly
Derbymanc
catchweight
3fingers
Cyril
DuransHorse
Eyetoldyouso
EX7EY
wheelchair1991
erictheblueuk
compelling and rich
Seanusarrilius
beshocked
LionsV2
smashingstormcrow
GunsGermsV2
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
rodders
JabMachineMK2
Nico the gman
spencerclarke
TRUSSMAN66
Mochyn du
Mr Bounce
Rodney
CallMeBenji
Kingshu
hazharrison
huw
owen10ozzy
melv500
BoxingFan88
ONETWOFOREVER
marty2086
Hammersmith harrier
Atila
mobilemaster8
Scottrf
milkyboy
AdamT
Herman Jaeger
Dylan1979
TheSquaredCircle
55 posters

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Joke fights here we come!! - Page 2 Empty Joke fights here we come!!

Post by TheSquaredCircle Wed 14 Jun 2017, 11:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

So it's confirmed.....mayweather vs Conor McGregor.
The lay public and mostly MMA fans will be most enthused by this fight. I think it's the start of a WWE style entertainment farce. People will be going crazy on social media about the legitimacy of this fight and how it's the greatest thing to ever happen. The reality is that it is chalk and cheese fighting......might as well pair Andy Murray up with Freddy flintoff for the WBA belt. The spanner in the works could be mayweather along lay off and age. Is this a horrendous scam fight or should we be excited that boxing is reaching even more platforms?

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Joke fights here we come!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Joke fights here we come!!

Post by AdamT Fri 16 Jun 2017, 6:48 am

If Floyd beat Thurman nobody would care that much. Yes he's 40, but everyone would say she should beat Thurman.

A legacy fight for Floyd is moving to 160 and fighting Canelo v GGG winner. He's too small/old, so that's out of the question.

McGregor is a joke fight but the reality is, at the minute his star is hot and he's a far bigger name than anyone in boxing. Yes that includes Manny and probably Floyd too.

It makes huge business sense to fight a novice and make similar money to the Manny fight.

I agree it's a joke as a competitive fight. However it's not a joke when it comes to business side. These guys will make serious dough and boxing is prize fighting after all.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 16 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

If it's all about the business side then how about Mayweather v Brad Pitt? That would make more money than Mayweather fighting Thurman.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:41 pm

The MMA fan on here was funny. Can we have more of them please.

This fight is like Real Madrid playing The British Lions at football. As competitive as me trying to outrun Usain Bolt - whilst I have the tools to beat him (two legs) I have none of the ability.

My only hope is that Connor makes him look so stupid in the buildup (which is very likely as he is charismatic and a quick talker and Mayweather isn't either) that Floyd suddenly forgets how to fight and tries to run at him with his hands down.

I am about as qualified to fight Floyd, I have a big mouth and no boxing experience. He could try me for his 51st victory. I'd fight Floyd for £5000 and travelling / hotel expenses.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Fri 16 Jun 2017, 6:08 pm

Sums the whole thing right up HUW

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 17 Jun 2017, 6:33 am

Great fight. McGregor by KO.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 17 Jun 2017, 9:10 am

Lol

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Sat 17 Jun 2017, 10:22 am

A number of fans think CMcG has a punchers chance, with the big left hook.
I don't think they realise that Hatton and Pacman and many other boxers Mayweather has faced and beaten have had better left hooks.

Looking at the odds,
CMcG is as low as 4/1 which is ridiculous as this gives him a 20%
Mayweather is 1.17 which equals a 85.47%
and draw about 3.8% chance

If I was to realistically price this,
Mayweather 1.005 =99.5%
CMcG 11 = 9.091%
Draw 100 = 1%

Thats mostly to get a 10% overround, other wise I would have CMcG way higher

Anyway backing Mayweather at 1.17 is buying money.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 17 Jun 2017, 10:54 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Atila wrote:This is not the same thing as Ali v the Japanese wrestler.  That 'fight' was an exhibition. Mayweather v McGregor is being sold to the public as a serious fight.

You know that, I know that and we both know it's going to crop up as an excuse!
Boxrec have McGregor listed as Floyd's next opponent, so I'm guessing that someone there is taking this as a serious fight.

So if Floyd, does the expected and wins his 'fight' with McGregor, are fight fans going to see him as surpassing Marciano's record and being 50-0?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 18 Jun 2017, 8:59 am

Atila wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
Atila wrote:This is not the same thing as Ali v the Japanese wrestler.  That 'fight' was an exhibition. Mayweather v McGregor is being sold to the public as a serious fight.

You know that, I know that and we both know it's going to crop up as an excuse!
Boxrec have McGregor listed as Floyd's next opponent, so I'm guessing that someone there is taking this as a serious fight.

So if Floyd, does the expected and wins his 'fight' with McGregor, are fight fans going to see him as surpassing Marciano's record and being 50-0?

Of course. As Floyd's fans have argued over the years: all about smart business rather than tough fights. If he wins this he's top three all time.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 18 Jun 2017, 10:18 am

There'll certainly be plenty of debate as to how many of Marciano's opponents were better than mcgregor!!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 18 Jun 2017, 11:22 am

Haz who would add to his legacy now anyway?

He won't go near Mw and I don't think any current welter/lmw adds much to his achievements.

It's a farce and a cash grab. But both guys are going to make a bomb.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 18 Jun 2017, 12:53 pm

AdamT wrote:Haz who would add to his legacy now anyway?

He won't go near Mw and I don't think any current welter/lmw adds much to his achievements.

It's a farce and a cash grab. But both guys are  going to make a bomb.

McGregor is going to make a bomb and explode it off Floyd's chin.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 18 Jun 2017, 1:53 pm

No chance. Would be funny though!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 18 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm

This is the first Time Want Floyd to lose. Feels weird. Though Conor is my favourite fighter by a mile.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 18 Jun 2017, 3:07 pm

If Floyd were to lose this, he'd have lost to a fighter making his professional boxing debut. That would blow away his claims to being TBE.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 18 Jun 2017, 3:43 pm

AdamT wrote:This is the first Time Want Floyd to lose. Feels weird. Though Conor is my favourite fighter by a mile.

It might be the first time I'd want him to win... be an embarrassment to boxing if he lost

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 18 Jun 2017, 3:57 pm

milkyboy wrote:
AdamT wrote:This is the first Time Want Floyd to lose. Feels weird. Though Conor is my favourite fighter by a mile.

It might be the first time I'd want him to win... be an embarrassment to boxing if he lost
Serve him right if he lost. But then again, if he did, we would be treated to a rematch and then possible a third fight. Rolling Eyes

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 18 Jun 2017, 4:47 pm

Indeed Atila. He's not going to lose though... unless 2 years out have turned him to complete mush. I'd imagine mcgregor would try and turn it into a repeat of the maidana fight and hope he can wear him down by winging away and leaning on him.

Despite what Adam said I won't be tuning in to find out

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Mon 19 Jun 2017, 1:09 pm

I don't see how any boxing fan can want to see Mayweather lose when it actually comes down to it.

Purely from a personality perspective I'd love to see McGregor knock seven bells out of the convicted woman beater. I like McGregor and think he's done wonders for his sport.

However as a boxing fan this fight has already tainted what has been a very good year for boxing. It would make it much, much worse if Mayweather were to lose (which I just cannot see happening in a month of Sundays). I don't really buy into the whole "Boxing v MMA" debate as they're two different sports and I appreciate both of them. However those that like to argue that MMA is the superior sport would never let boxing fans live it down if McGregor caused the upset.

Can't knock McGregor really - both sports run on the same business principles and he's getting the most out of a very dangerous profession (as is Mayweather). But if he's going to take the huge money he'll end up getting for what is a circus type event then I won't feel bad for him if he takes an ass whooping in the process (although I obviously wish no serious harm to him or any other fighter). That way he'll have at least have earned his money.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 19 Jun 2017, 1:13 pm

I still want McGregor to knock him out. Won't happen, but I can dream.

I like Floyd, but I am a huge fan of my fellow countryman!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Mon 19 Jun 2017, 1:26 pm

I can understand people wanting McGregor to win for that sort of reason, or even if it's because they just don't like Floyd. But my (perhaps rigid) view is that if you are a boxing fan then you can't want McGregor to win, regardless of who is in the other corner.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 19 Jun 2017, 1:29 pm

I'm a fan of both sports (admittedly more boxing), so I don't care if it gives mma fans leverage. I would love to see Conor win. But it won't happen in a million years. Floyd might even stop him. He is a boxing novice!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 1:56 pm

No idea why this fight is getting publicity - the modern era is changing now and I dont like it. Boxing wont be the same after this fight.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:43 pm

Nothing to like about this fight - Mcgregor I doubt would win a area title never mind a bout of this nature, I have no idea where the money is coming from ? who will actually buy this ? haven't spoke to one boxing fan whose interested in this. I'll stick to Rocky v Thunderlips more genuine than this nonsense.

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm

Rodney wrote:Nothing to like about this fight - Mcgregor I doubt would win a area title never mind a bout of this nature, I have no idea where the money is coming from ? who will actually buy this ? haven't spoke to one boxing fan whose interested in this. I'll stick to Rocky v Thunderlips more genuine than this nonsense.

Cheers

Perhaps not real fans, but I guarantee this fight does huge business. Sad, but that is the case with today!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:54 pm

I'm sure you're right Adam , but can't see Boxing fans forking out for it knowing its a horrible mismatch and the MMA fans can't be happy that the poster boy is facing a top P4P fighter at his own game, its pretty absurd.

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:58 pm

MMA fans are idiots. Many are picking Conor to win!

Even though I'm a fan of both fighters, it is a disgrace!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:48 pm

The money coming in for McG is incredible, however the bigger smarter money will be put on Mayweather.

Mayweather is a at a great price, and if wanting to make money its best to back it now.
The big bettors will come in and drive the price down, currently most do not want to place 5 and 6 digit bets now and have the money unavailable for months, but they will come in if they think they may miss this price or nearer the date, therefore now is the time to get on Mayweather.

PS I'm not a Mayweather fan, but do think he is one of the best boxers in the last 15 years, as much as I like McG he really doesn't have a chance.

Its like having Sacarens play New England Patriots at American football, and thinking they have a chance.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:50 pm

I have no interest in this fight as Floyd's done boxing-wise so is irrelevant as far as current championship status goes. I don't follow MMA and barely know who McGregor is. This is so far removed as to pitch a Rugby League side against a Rugby Union side in either of their respective sports. It's totally unfair (Watch how Bath were dismantled by Wigan at League in the mid 90s and vice versa). The only people who win out of this are the Promotors and TV companies, McGregor and Mayweather himself - by pocketing the cash that the "fans" will shell out. It'll be a ridiculous walkover and does nobody any favours.

August 26th? I shall be enjoying a family get-together. There's likely to be a better (and more closely-matched) fight there. Plus it's free Very Happy

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Thu 22 Jun 2017, 3:01 pm

To be honest when I first heard of this fight I assumed it was Floyd going into MMA. Then I realised he's just doing his usual cherry picking routine and this is actually a boxing match! How utterly sad! It would be great if Macgregor somehow landed a lucky punch and sparked Pretty Boy. I would love it!!!

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 Jun 2017, 3:40 pm

What worries me about Floyd and the MMA guy is that it gives this crappy excuse as a sport equal billing and may set a trend for the future if it sells.....

We don't want future champs thinking it is ok to fight these guys or girls..instead of their mandatory....Because of the financials

Nicola Adams vs Ronda what's-her-name for a WBAMA.

Alphabet boys don't care about the sport as it is.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 23 Jun 2017, 12:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What worries me about Floyd and the MMA guy is that it gives this crappy excuse as a sport equal billing and may set a trend for the future if it sells.....

We don't want future champs thinking it is ok to fight these guys or girls..instead of their mandatory....Because of the financials

Nicola Adams vs Ronda what's-her-name for a WBAMA.

Alphabet boys don't care about the sport as it is.

Hopefully the fight itself is dung, then no one will dare to attempt it again. I admit I will watch, but it's pure car crash tv. If they charged $100 like they do in the states, no way in hell would I pay for it.

The build up will be fun, but Mayweather will destroy him in a boxing match! Floyd's Dad would be a better match up for Conor.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 23 Jun 2017, 10:17 pm

So gents where's the money to be made? Ko? If so which round or group of rounds or points win?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:13 pm

After getting a boxing lesson a frustrated Conor McGregor shots the Dublin kiss straight on Mayweather knocking Mayweather out with a perfect head-butt, despite getting disqualified McGregor leaves the ring to a standing ovation. Well done Conor McGregor Very Happy

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:22 pm

I've watched a few of the "training" videos that McGregor has posted and what seems clear is the guy can't even box. He looks so awkward when throwing, it;s like his muscle memory is already trained to have his legs and arms ready for a takedown or kick. He reaches with his arms (ARUM PUNCHEESE JIM) and looks like he'll be massively out of his depth. Boxing vs MMA is like Football vs Rugby. Both use a ball, yes. Both you score in the other end, yes. But the skills and method by which victory is delivered are very different.

MMA you have to defend your whole body at all time. You also have every weapon available to utilise. Boxing is fists only. Floyd will absolutely school McGregor and it won't even be slightly competitive. The difference in skill between someone who does MMA and someone who boxes in a boxing match professionally will be pronounced. It's like putting the World Badminton Champion in with Roger Federer. Similar code. VERY different game.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:31 pm

McGregor KO

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 26 Jun 2017, 9:35 pm

Have to agree Jab machine. Fair point about badminton player vs Federer.

I can't imagine Daley Thompson running faster Than Carl Lewis. Jack of all trades doesn't beat master of one, in their area of expertise.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:52 pm

Is there a possibility that as McGregor does not have pure boxing skills, it will confuse Floyd. Shot in the dark in know especiualky a Floyd is a master technician and will eventually figure out any style. This is floyds 50th fight and McGregor's first but it is also floyds first fight with someone who will come with a semi alien style which may just bamboozle him and throw a spanner in the works?!?

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:54 pm

Likelihood though is that Conor gets tremendously embarrassed and maybe even KO'd.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 27 Jun 2017, 10:33 am

TheSquaredCircle wrote:Is there a possibility that as McGregor does not have pure boxing skills, it will confuse Floyd. Shot in the dark in know especiualky a Floyd is a master technician and will eventually figure out any style. This is floyds 50th fight and McGregor's first but it is also floyds first fight with someone who will come with a semi alien style which may just bamboozle him and throw a spanner in the works?!?

Have to agree. If he circles him in a flying saucer and fires a few lasers at him while wearing a little green suit he may have an outside chance. If he turns up in a pair of boxing gloves all hope is lost. Smart move is to keep your money in your pocket until the ring walks. If mcgregor comes in to the theme of close encounters or war of the worlds go all in on Conor

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Jun 2017, 10:38 am

TheSquaredCircle wrote:Is there a possibility that as McGregor does not have pure boxing skills, it will confuse Floyd. Shot in the dark in know especiualky a Floyd is a master technician and will eventually figure out any style. This is floyds 50th fight and McGregor's first but it is also floyds first fight with someone who will come with a semi alien style which may just bamboozle him and throw a spanner in the works?!?
Because he's crap Floyd might lose? I'm not so sure.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 27 Jun 2017, 11:30 am

TheSquaredCircle wrote:Likelihood though is that Conor gets tremendously embarrassed and maybe even KO'd.

Lets be honest if Mayweather can't put away a debutant novice then he's self proclaimed TBE moniker is even more nonsensical than ever.

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 27 Jun 2017, 11:43 am

McGregor KO round 2 with the straight left hand.

Floyd has made a massive error accepting this at 154.

If it does go into the later rounds then Floyd will win but do think there will be an upset here.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm

rodders wrote:McGregor KO round 2 with the straight left hand.

Floyd has made a massive error accepting this at 154.

If it does go into the later rounds then Floyd will win but do think there will be an upset here.

Lets hope he doesnt wing that left hand from far out like he does in the UFC, Mayweather will time him again and again. Honestly cant see Mcgregor lasting 3 rounds unless Mayweather wants him too.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:40 pm

When was the last time Floyd knocked anyone out outside of a cheap shot against Ortiz. Brittle hands, safety first borefest. Guess he might stop him if mcgregor runs completely out of steam from chasing him round.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 28 Jun 2017, 8:50 pm

I can't see McGregor doing 12 - takes fighters years to build up to that.

Not that he'll need 12. He'll chin Floyd in one.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 29 Jun 2017, 9:50 am

Hearing rumours that McGregor is destroying some decent pro boxers in sparring. Apparently his unorthodox style is proving difficult.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 29 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

Can't beat blind optimism.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 29 Jun 2017, 10:03 am

rodders wrote:Hearing rumours that McGregor is destroying some decent pro boxers in sparring. Apparently his unorthodox style is proving difficult.

I highly doubt it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 29 Jun 2017, 3:31 pm

rodders wrote:Hearing rumours that McGregor is destroying some decent pro boxers in sparring. Apparently his unorthodox style is proving difficult.

as the poster said earlier, he can bemuse floyd by being useless... he's so bad he's good

I guess rumours that he looks like a cross between freddie flintoff and brian sutherland, don't sell tickets as well as 'destroying sparring partners'

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next