The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Elite Performance Squad - 2017/18

+48
CraigS1874
hugehandoff
BigTrevsbigmac
nlpnlp
Exiledinborders
mikey_dragon
stub
munkian
aucklandlaurie
Mr Bounce
Margin_Walker
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
MichaelT
Cyril
propdavid_london
cascough
LionsV2
cb
Mad for Chelsea
thomh
Barney McGrew did it
GunsGermsV2
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
kingelderfield
Hammersmith harrier
Gooseberry
Sgt_Pooly
WELL-PAST-IT
Ozzy3213
Hood83
DaveM
dummy_half
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
lostinwales
Welly
beshocked
Scottrf
Cumbrian
yappysnap
Recwatcher16
Geordie
robbo277
BamBam
Poorfour
SamTheQuin
LondonTiger
52 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

England's Elite Performance Squad - 2017/18 - Page 12 Empty England's Elite Performance Squad - 2017/18

Post by LondonTiger Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:49 am

First topic message reminder :

At some point in the summer, Eddie Jones will announce his initial EPS. He has been talking about the difficulty he faces trying to whittle it down to that number and it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. Who would be in your EPS?

As a reminder:

The deal with PRL allows Eddie Jones to name a 45 man squad. the clubs get money for players contributed, Jones can call on them for an agreed amount of training camps and England can (to a degree) manage their workload. Jones is allowed to make a number of changes to this half way through the season. Separate 33 man training squads are announced prior to the AIs and the 6Ns - these squads are NOT restricted to players in the EPS.

Last Seasons EPS members (Bold in Both, Italics added on 31st December, normal font dropped from squad):

Forwards

Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks)
Nathan Catt (Bath Rugby)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Jack Clifford (Harlequins)

Will Evans (Leicester Tigers)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Jamie George (Saracens)

Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
Teimana Harrison (Northampton Saints)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
James Haskell (Wasps)
Paul Hill (Northampton Saints)  
Nathan Hughes (Wasps)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)

Sam Jones (Wasps)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Matt Mullan (Wasps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)

Tommy Taylor
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Mike Williams (Leicester Tigers)

Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)

Backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Elliot Daly (Wasps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Bath Rugby)

Alex Goode (Saracens)
Mike Haley (Sale Sharks)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)

Alex Lozowski (Saracens)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Dan Robson (Wasps)
Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby)

Joe Simpson (Wasps)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Spencer (Saracens)
Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors)
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Marland Yarde (Harlequins)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England's Elite Performance Squad - 2017/18 - Page 12 Empty Re: England's Elite Performance Squad - 2017/18

Post by beshocked Mon 04 Sep 2017, 10:14 am

Monye is an awful commentator though. Not sure I'd take his comments too seriously.

True Cumbrian

Farrell is 25, Ford 24, Losowski 24.

Slade is 24.

Fly half is a pretty strong position.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

England's Elite Performance Squad - 2017/18 - Page 12 Empty Re: England's Elite Performance Squad - 2017/18

Post by Poorfour Mon 04 Sep 2017, 12:00 pm

Calling our Marcus Smith is probably 50% Eddie putting a bit of pressure on his existing group ("There's someone even younger and fresher than you, so stay on your toes"), 40% longer term player development and 10% an outside option.

From what I saw, Smith was more like a young George Ford than a young Cipriani - albeit more prepared to take on the attack himself. Some of his distribution, particularly the long passes and reverse passes, was very good, and the way he and Roberts straightened the line for Marchant's try was simple as you like but showed that he's enough of a running threat to challenge defences. He looks to have a good eye for where the space is and no fears about attacking it when it might be on.

His defensive positioning wasn't great and he's got to improve his tackle technique (though I liked his willingness to get stuck in).

The point being that Smith is a more direct replacement for Ford than Farrell, Lozowski or Slade would be. For all that he wants a bench that will change things up, Eddie seems to like having like-for-like replacements in the wings, and I think Smith fits the bill.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 04 Sep 2017, 1:43 pm

Sounds about right Poorfour, Smith is a long way down on the development pathway - I would really like to see him boss the U20s and get a bit of time off the bench for Quins - perhaps a couple of years off the level of hype that hes recently been getting. Young(er) Ford in the making.

So, after round 1 who do we think has raised and lowered their rating for EPS selection?
From Quins - most of the senior players didn't step up - Barring 1 break from Care (which made me think the old Danny was back) he wasn't particularly effective. A stellar showing from Robson surely means that EJ will be thinking of an order shuffle in the no9's.
Brown unfortunately didn't have a vintage performance! Was good aerially but well marshalled by defence - same can be said of Yarde, fairly ineffective (barring his try).

Tom Wood had a torrid first half against sarries but clawed some credit back with 2 tries - but that was after Sarries had scored a bucket load. Mallinder struggled to get any control too.

Game from Friday (TV) - From Gloucester, I thought Slater coming on late made a good impact Kvesic was keen to make an impact and got a few good turnovers + seemed to carry more than before. Pack looks well settled. Chiefs - Nowell looked dangerous when he came on. Harry Williams struggled a bit with scrimmaging. Slade struggled a bit, but was playing 13 rather than 12.

From what I have read - May has had a good game and sounds like Genge was getting a bit feisty. Not seen the highlights yet but its a positive that Manu came through un-injured, well marshalled by Joseph though and that Ford had a so-so game!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 06 Sep 2017, 11:15 pm

The tiger fans gave just said many is out for 12 weeks. That rules him out of any potential ai appearance...

Joseph and marchant battling for 13? If it's T'eo he's going to have to find his form...he was woeful on Friday.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Thu 07 Sep 2017, 8:44 am

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/unlucky-tuilagi-sidelined-by-knee-injury

All things come to pass.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 07 Sep 2017, 10:18 am

Think it's only a matter of time before Manu retires now. Just too many injuries.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 07 Sep 2017, 11:23 am

That's a shame - he either retires or moves to another club with a fresh start.
Worked wonders for a crocked Wilko.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 07 Sep 2017, 11:37 am

Sounds really unfortunate and a real shame. Some players just seem destined for a run of prolonged bad luck. Just sucks as Tuilagi is a player of such impact.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 07 Sep 2017, 12:47 pm

It's not as if its the same problem, every time he gets crocked, it's something different. He must be one of the unluckiest players around
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 10 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm

Is Lawes performances now making him a cert for a starting lock spot in the AI's (if he keeps up the form)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm

propdavid_london wrote:That's a shame - he either retires or moves to another club with a fresh start.
Worked wonders for a crocked Wilko.

He came very close to going to France as some of his brotehrs did before him when it was looking like his England future was bunked. Who knows come the end of this season; its hugely unlikey he will get selected for the 6 nations squads even if he does get fit in time to press a case.... and if theres not a summer tour spot likely I think theres a very good chance he will go (if fit). Thye biggest things stopping him would be that with every injury and with the amount of time hes missed form the game his stock has shrunk, and getting a big money contract isnt a given...it would certainly be a risk for any club taking him. And then being away form his family and support network would be a big thing. The issues hes had with coping with the long lay offs are pretty well known, and hardly surprising for a guy whos entire upbringing has been about becoming a pro rugby player. In Leicestershire he has a big extended family around him, and a confortable supportive club environment. Hes been there since he was a schoolkid, and for someone like him it would be a huge risk to move away from that.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 11 Sep 2017, 3:26 pm

If he can't string some games together in the second half of the season then Japan could even be a good option for him. Less physical, big payday and a complete change of climate and mindset.

Manu's off-field issues show that he clearly has demons to deal with outside of his injuries - although they are more than likely connected to his frustration at not playing.

The injuries being different problems every time is so unfortunate though. To go through first a year long rehab of a very rare groin problem, only to have 9 months out for an ACL, rehab that and now blow out the other knee. Very unlucky however you spin it.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 11 Sep 2017, 7:13 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Is Lawes performances now making him a cert for a starting lock spot in the AI's (if he keeps up the form)

In my opinion, on current and Lions form, he is the best lock in the NH at the moment. I don't see too much of the SH games, but he must be getting up there with the likes of Retallick. He doesn't seem to have a flaw in his game at the moment.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 11 Sep 2017, 9:38 pm

I agree WPI

I've often been critical of him but I just can't fault him now. England have genuine selection dilemma at lock!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue 12 Sep 2017, 12:31 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I agree WPI

I've often been critical of him but I just can't fault him now. England have genuine selection dilemma at lock!

Whether you agree with it or not Eddie Jones will again be tempted to play one of our locks at 6 for the Autumn Internationals purely because they are all genuinely playing well. Either Lawes or Itoje could play there. The alternative options are Robshaw, Wood, Armand etc but he might think the 3 lock option offers more?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 12 Sep 2017, 1:28 pm

Launchbury was the best lock for England last season. Lawes probably the form lock based on lions and thus season but wasn't favoured by gatland. Itoje is clearly extremely good but shunted as a trial to 6 which wasn't that successful. Kruis was hailed as the best lock but hasn't really been that good since returning from injury and got injured first up, not seen how long he's out for. Will be interesting to see if Jones goes with favouring who had the shirt, club form or just if he rates the player with neither of the above.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 12 Sep 2017, 3:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Launchbury was the best lock for England last season. Lawes probably the form lock based on lions and thus season but wasn't favoured by gatland. Itoje is clearly extremely good but shunted as a trial to 6 which wasn't that successful.  Kruis was hailed as the best lock but hasn't really been that good since returning from injury and got injured first up, not seen how long he's out for. Will be interesting to see if Jones goes with favouring who had the shirt, club form or just if he rates the player with  neither of the above.
Lawes was. He was playing excellent rugby while Launchbury was banned for kicking, and roughly as good in the 6 Nations. Just takes Lawes a long time to get credit, barely anyone noticed he had an amazing season for Saints last year until a few England performances.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 12 Sep 2017, 3:30 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:The tiger fans gave just said many is out for 12 weeks. That rules him out of any potential ai appearance...

Joseph and marchant battling  for 13? If it's T'eo he's going to have to find his form...he was woeful on Friday.

I would rather have Daly in at 13. However, I can see EJs keeping him as a bench option because of his versatility.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 12 Sep 2017, 3:55 pm

Daly defence isn't at the level to play Int 13, doubt it ever will be tbh.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 12 Sep 2017, 5:27 pm

Nah Launchbury ahead just look at the amount of motm s. Lawes is decent and in good form but he'd be the back up for me. It's England's strongest position and any of the 4 would be first choice for the other nations bar jonny grey for Scotland and jones cos of Gatland for wales. I think it's going to be someone with Itoje anyway.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Tue 12 Sep 2017, 8:47 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Nah Launchbury ahead just look at the amount of motm s. Lawes is decent and in good form but he'd be the back up for me. It's England's strongest position and any of the 4 would be first choice for the other nations bar jonny grey for Scotland and jones cos of Gatland for wales. I think it's going to be someone with Itoje anyway.

Especially if Itoje is Captain, though I don't see that happening this year.

Re Lawes, it is tremendous to observe his level of performance especially given the robust way he plays the game. Ofcourse everything comes at a cost and at some point he'll have to be rested before he breaks down. I wonder if EJ has him marked as a autumn release? I doubt it but if not then, then Saints will need to protect him which doesn't appear to be their current modus, unless they know something we don't.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:08 pm

Could happen but I'd still be surprised should hartley be dropped. Due to the lions he still has the jump on george. How long is Kruis out for?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Tue 12 Sep 2017, 11:59 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Could happen but I'd still be surprised should hartley be dropped. Due to the lions he still has the jump on george. How long is Kruis out for?
George is not really relevant to Hartley's position. In modern rugby both the starting hooker and the bench player are going to play for about half the match. Both Harley and George will play with George better suited than Hartley to the second half when the game is typically looser. Hartley will lose his place when a third hooker is considered good enough. Not Youngs, possibly LCD?

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:02 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Nah Launchbury ahead just look at the amount of motm s. Lawes is decent and in good form but he'd be the back up for me. It's England's strongest position and any of the 4 would be first choice for the other nations bar jonny grey for Scotland and jones cos of Gatland for wales. I think it's going to be someone with Itoje anyway.
MOTM is just an opinion, and Lawes was roughly a similar level in those matches, better in others and more consistent in general (and didn't get banned).

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:20 am

I agree exiled. Think it will be LCD this season. Just considering the change of captain; while hartley is there it won't change.

So it comes to point scott that you rate Lawes more I rate Launchbury more. Lawes is frustrating for me especially his carrying which is getting praised to high heaven on commentary yet he's still.pretty consistently loosing in contact once or twice a match. With Itoje calling I think getting him and Launchbury is the best partnership. Kruis offers the best bench option if he is fit and on form neither of which he had on the lions tour or so far this year.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:40 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I agree exiled. Think it will be LCD this season. Just considering the change of captain; while hartley is there it won't change.

So it comes to point scott that you rate Lawes more I rate Launchbury more. Lawes is frustrating for me especially his carrying which is getting praised to high heaven on commentary yet he's still.pretty consistently loosing in contact once or twice a match. With Itoje calling I think getting him and Launchbury is the best partnership. Kruis offers the best bench option if he is fit and on form neither of which he had on the lions tour or so far this year.
Real nonsense. Once every 3 matches maybe. Lawes has more impact in mauls, is a better lineout receiver, better carrier in the loose (Launch better in tight) and puts more pressure on the opposition defensively (Launch is a good tackler though).

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:47 am

Not nonsense. Just what happens. I'd agree Lawes is better in the lineout. Together they're a great combo. I think I combo of Launchbury and Itoje could go onto to be the best pairing in the world even considering the kiwis. Lawes Itoje would work.just not quite as complimentary. Kruis I'm currently not considering though by the AI s he may be back. For me it's a choice out of Itoje and Lawes to partner the guy who fits them the best. Itoje is better now in my opinion and still improving.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:48 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Not nonsense. Just what happens. I'd agree Lawes is better in the lineout. Together they're a great combo. I think I combo of Launchbury and Itoje could go onto to be the best pairing in the world even considering the kiwis. Lawes Itoje would work.just not quite as complimentary. Kruis I'm currently not considering though by the AI s he may be back. For me it's a choice out of Itoje and Lawes to partner the guy who fits them the best. Itoje is better now in my opinion and still improving.

It doesn't. Perhaps it used to, but he's tightened up his carrying, which will always be hard with his frame. Agree about Itoje's potential. But recent form, no he is not better.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:59 am

Maybe in the first 2 games of this season. Lions and last season I'd have to disagree. Though they should have started together in the summer. Would you go Launchbury and Lawes then Itoje on bench?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:01 am

All of top 4 locks offer something a bit different, it's really horses for courses when comparing. It's up to EJ to select the best combo who compliment each other, not an easy task.

For me, Kruis is the best lineout operator(defence and offence) and he'd have to start if fit and available.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:04 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Maybe in the first 2 games of this season. Lions and last season I'd have to disagree. Though they should have started together in the summer. Would you go Launchbury and Lawes then Itoje on bench?
Itoje was average for Lions, Lawes was better. Who I would pick I don't know if I'm honest. Kruis/Itoje if both are firing. Right now, maybe Launch and Lawes yes.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:09 am

You like Lawes don't you!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:52 am

England are exceptionally well stocked at 2nd row - The selection pool is Launchbury, Lawes, Kruis and Itoje. Isekwe who did pretty well in Argentina appears to be the latest backup/project.
You would generally be happy with any combination of the above and can select depending on game plan/requirements.
Currently due to injury, Kruis is the most likely to drop out of that group - but he still has plenty of EJ credit in the bank.

As ever - England are still looking for long term replacements for the old back row guard. That's where the focus really needs to be - most other positions have relative strength in depth.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:38 am

Pretty sure the usual injury massacre in the first round of Euro games will have a part to play in this

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:41 pm

I think who is picked at lock depends on how the back row lads are performing. If Robshaw and Haskell are pulling up trees then they will start and two locks will be chosen from the 4 outstanding candidates...assuming Barrow or some other outsider doesn't come in to contention.

If they're not performing and Jones isn't convinced by the other options at 6/7 then you may very well see the lawes and itoje selection again with Maro at lock for the scrum and Lawes at 6

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think who is picked at lock depends on how the back row lads are performing
Think this is the heart of the matter. The laws have changed too, so the balance in the back row might have shifted for Jones. Still, like Lancaster, he has favoured putting as many of his best players out at the same time, regardless of regular club position. Daly is the main example but he has Slade in mind at 13. Can't rule out the idea he'd want three locks on the pitch.

Kruis and Itoje looked like our best pairing last season, and I don't think the Lions tour disproved that, even though it wasn't Gatland's test combination. Main issue seems to be the fitness of Kruis.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 14 Sep 2017, 9:33 am

Can someone remind me of the rule changes for the breakdown? I assume that's what you are referring to RugbyFan when you think the balance should change in the backrow?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 14 Sep 2017, 9:36 am

propdavid_london wrote:Can someone remind me of the rule changes for the breakdown?  I assume that's what you are referring to RugbyFan when you think the balance should change in the backrow?
Basically you can't just stand up and jackal if you're the tackler.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 14 Sep 2017, 10:35 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:I think who is picked at lock depends on how the back row lads are performing
Think this is the heart of the matter. The laws have changed too, so the balance in the back row might have shifted for Jones. Still, like Lancaster, he has favoured putting as many of his best players out at the same time, regardless of regular club position. Daly is the main example but he has Slade in mind at 13. Can't rule out the idea he'd want three locks on the pitch.

Kruis and Itoje looked like our best pairing last season, and I don't think the Lions tour disproved that, even though it wasn't Gatland's test combination. Main issue seems to be the fitness of Kruis.

I'm really not convinced that Eddie will play a lock at 6 just to accommodate them all. He might if the rules have changed sufficiently that he's going for a completely different breakdown strategy, but from what I have seen so far this season I don't think that's the case. The changes have made it slightly harder for genuine poachers, but from the games I have seen so far the winning strategy seems to be to hit the rucks fast and hard again and again, which we saw with the Itoje experiment doesn't lend itself to having a lock in that role.

Mark Wilson showed in Argentina that he can do the job, and with Underhill (who can play 6), both Curries plus Robshaw and Haskell, my thinking is that he will play proper flankers rather than squeeze in an extra lock.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 14 Sep 2017, 11:19 am

RF, my memory tells me that it was Launchbury and Lawes at the last 6N with Itoje at 6 and then were both (L & L) outstanding.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 14 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:RF, my memory tells me that it was Launchbury and Lawes at the last 6N with Itoje at 6 and then were both (L & L) outstanding.
I'm going senile. I thought they played the Autumn internationals as a pair, before Kruis missed out on the Six Nations but not so.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 14 Sep 2017, 12:14 pm

At the risk of going around in circles, Robshaw will play if he shows form and fitness. Haskell probably won't unless he's really ripping things up.

With Robshaw injured and the next generation either injured or unproven EJ went with Itoje at 6 because he could 'do a job' and having him on the pitch is always a good idea. This year will be very interesting because the next generation now has experience and (mostly) looked pretty good.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu 14 Sep 2017, 1:47 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:RF, my memory tells me that it was Launchbury and Lawes at the last 6N with Itoje at 6 and then were both (L & L) outstanding.
Itoje had a six on his back but was in the second row in the scrum. In reality Lawes was playing at six.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 14 Sep 2017, 2:24 pm

Eddie has so far always picked Robshaw when he's available - he even spoke about him having had "no chance of playing" in the second Argentina test, but he came through injury rehab and got picked.

On the other hand, it's a pretty easy autumn schedule, so he may choose to give youth more experience and his senior players a rest. We'll have to see.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 14 Sep 2017, 2:45 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
Itoje had a six on his back but was in the second row in the scrum. In reality Lawes was playing at six.

Lawes explained that he, post 6N. Itoje is so powerful in the scrum that it seemed "daft" not to use that power, but in all other aspects he played as a 6. So for about 8 minutes a game he played at 5 and for the rest as a 6.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 14 Sep 2017, 3:05 pm

Is there much difference between a lock and a 6 outside of the scrum these days?

They both were effective as 4/5/6 whatever they were, so fine by me!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 14 Sep 2017, 7:19 pm

BamBam wrote:Is there much difference between a lock and a 6 outside of the scrum these days?

With players like Lawes and Itoje, probably not, Kruis, Slater and the like, quite a lot
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 14 Sep 2017, 8:18 pm

Poorfour wrote:Eddie has so far always picked Robshaw when he's available - he even spoke about him having had "no chance of playing" in the second Argentina test, but he came through injury rehab and got picked.

On the other hand, it's a pretty easy autumn schedule, so he may choose to give youth more experience and his senior players a rest. We'll have to see.

You mention a key factor there poorfour the schedule is not a tough one. Players like Mark Wilson , Curry , and maby ither fringe youngsters would relish the games.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 14 Sep 2017, 8:31 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
BamBam wrote:Is there much difference between a lock and a 6 outside of the scrum these days?

With players like Lawes and Itoje, probably not, Kruis, Slater and the like, quite a lot

I think the game against Ireland showed the difference. England were a fraction slower to the breakdown, and it cost them. It wasn't enough of a difference against France or Wales, but the strongest teams can exploit that weakness.

Locks and flankers train a little differently and have different physical characteristics. I find it ironic that sites where people want a specialist 7 regard 6 as so unspecialised.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:17 am

Underhill's 1st prem game for Bath this weekend will be an interesting watch.
We have seen glimpses of what he can offer but with little consistency at the moment - starting his season with a Bang may well put him into contention with EJ.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next