The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+32
It Must Be Love
ShahenshahG
king_carlos
Born Slippy
Dolphin Ziggler
VTR
sirfredperry
jimbohammers
Corporalhumblebucket
KP_fan
shivfan
LondonTiger
robbo277
alfie
Gooseberry
Galted
Duty281
kwinigolfer
guildfordbat
wisden
subhranshu.kumar.5
Good Golly I'm Olly
CaledonianCraig
Eyetoldyouso
JDizzle
KO-KING
kingraf
Nathaniel Jacobs
dummy_half
Mad for Chelsea
James100
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
36 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 10 Empty Rest of the World

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

I figure a thread for cricket stuff from around the world that doesn't warrant a series-thread is useful
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 10 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by Gooseberry Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Normal service resumed from Holland , leaking runs happpily. Pakistan already have enough to declare with 7 wickets and 5.5 sessions to go. Should be a very comfortable victory now, just how much they choose to wear down Australias bowlers.
Theres been a few spells where Aus have looked competitive, but Pakistans opening stand and their own compete collapse have shown the reality. This side is nowhere near good enough if they are batting second. Even Smith and Warner would only be a sticking plaster which maybe wouldve given them a hundred runs and a session better in their favour.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 pm

When do you folks reckon Pakistan should declare?

Maybe some time between lunch and tea - set Australia 480+ with a bit more than a day and a half to bowl them out. Whilst I feel the declaration could safely come earlier, wickets might be easier to take the longer Australia have been in the field enduring the heat and becoming more demoralised as the runs mount up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm

I'd bat normally until lunch, then have 30/45 minutes swinging from the hip post lunch and then declare Guildford - as Goose says though, they already have enough runs - just a case of not leaving it too late imo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Just before tea would make sense to me.
It may also depend on how the Pakistan batting fares, if theres another sudden collpase or if someones closing in on a century etc. Theres a few players who maybe have a point to prove with the bat still.
Assuming the pitch will get worse the longer they bat its worth holding out to put the Aussie top order under even more presure from the off. The openers wil have gained some confidence form their stand in the first innings, but if the balls turning all over then they could be blasted out cheaply and that positivity pushed out of them.

Is Siddle hurt at all? Hes only bowled 2 overs and theyve been working through the part time spinners. I guess also its a case of protecting him and damage limitation now, this test is well gone and if he is sore then no point in risking him. Same witH Starc whos bowled more overs already in the match than they wouldve wanted.

As I type Holland gets his 3rd wicket. Too little too late but at least hes restored some self pride after the mauling he took first up. Woah and another for the part time leggy!

This does change thinsg a bit to lookinmg more like Paskistan just trying to bat through as far as they can

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I'd bat normally until lunch, then have 30/45 minutes swinging from the hip post lunch and then declare Guildford - as Goose says though, they already have enough runs - just a case of not leaving it too late imo

I reckon they had enough runs last night... But I agree with goose that they are happy to wear down the Australian bowlers - and let the pitch get worse for batting at the same time. Shouldn't think they'll bat more than an hour after lunch - might get bowled out anyway if one of these two falls on resumption.

Make sense for Paine to spare his pace men. Whoever bowls , Australia face a near impossible task to save this game ; and they'll need Starc and Siddle in good shape for the second match.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:29 pm

I've just been looking at the Aussies schedule - through to end of January it is pretty much non stop cricket...so they're going to have to manage the likes of Starc very effectively!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Declaration comes.

Along the lines we thought. Australia set a very stiff (? notional) 462. 47 overs left today.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Decent response by Khawaja and Finch. 36/0 off 11. However, Pakistan will be confident that once one goes another 5 or 6 will quickly follow. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Another decent start by Australia : Finch and Khawaja once again getting set and making more runs than most would have predicted...wonder how long they'll last now Bilal is on ?

Can't escape the feeling that once one of these goes we will see a similar story to the first innings. But who knows ? Maybe there will be proper resistance taking the game into the last day...

Yasir still looking for his first wicket in the match : not what one would have expected before the game. He has had plenty of bowling but so far has had to watch Bilal doing all the damage.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Have to agree with the commentators that Pakistan don't seem to be looking to put pressure on the batsmen with close fielders : and at the same time the ball doesn't seem to be doing anything too tricky at the moment...almost as if the pitch has gone back to sleep.
Certainly batting against the new ball has seemed to be the best time for everyone in this match. And , I guess , once you are "in" this pitch isn't too bad to bat on...not so easy for someone coming in to get started. Important for Australia these two don't throw it away ...wear the bowlers down as long as you can : some of the later batsmen need every advantage they can get !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Only 24 overs needing to be bowled in the final session to get up to the minimum number required for the day. We'll almost certainly get more than that - MfC should be happy wherever he's hiding! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:41 pm

First brick out of the wall...

Once again the excellent Abbas does the trick clap

And now two in the over ! S Marsh edges to complete a dismal match for him Sad

Wheels detaching again , methinks...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 pm

Abbas is a bloody good bowler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Abbas is a bloody good bowler

Indeed he is...and now he's got three with he second Marsh trapped lbw...

Good review but frankly it looked clearly out live to me anyway. Guess the ump heard two noises but surprised he didn't give that originally.

87 proving Devils Number today...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 am

Aus's 7 wickets have a day to bat out to a draw & I put 20% probability on that happening
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 am

The Aus openers can be very proud of themselves in this match for the way theyve played under extreme pressure, especially as neither is really what youd class as a pure test opener.

The Marsh borthers...less so.

Aus also protected Starc and Siddle in the second innings very well.

Its not as bad as it couldve been, but Id put their chances of as result lower than KPFs 20%. Pakistan have a good attack, the pitch wont get any better, Australia are down to their last pure batsmen and have a poor tail.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 am

Goose - I'm with you there, a lot less than 20% in my book too. Australia did well in the end to get to stumps only 3 down but that many back in the hutch still surely means it's a question of when Pakistan win rather than if.

A shame the Marsh brothers came and went in a blink. If Australia had only been 1 wicket down now, they might have a bit more realistic hope of getting off the hook.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:16 pm

You'd imagine this innings will fold up at some point ...but once again the Australian pair have started the day quite well. No alarms early ; and a couple of examples of sloppy fielding from Pakistan already...they don't seem particularly switched on , to be honest. Do they think they just have to turn up and wait for mistakes ? Really not a lot of pressure on at this stage : presumably things will change once they make a breakthrough but for now the batsmen look pretty comfortable.
Khawaja has fooled me : wouldn't have given him any chance of being Australia's best batsman in this match...but he's done very well. As has Head in this innings , following his inglorious first knock. Guess he needs to make a case for that middle order slot while he as the chance as I'm sure others will be in the frame come the home summer.
145/3. Not that the runs really matter...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Pakistan missed one there...Head clearly lbw but they don't review !  Guarding their last referral ; but surely Yasir didn't think that pitched outside leg ?  Chance gone begging...

....and Head makes the most of his luck and goes to fifty clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Still only 3 down. Some luck going Head's way as Alfie posted above but he and Khawaja deserve it for the fight shown.

I continue to feel that once one goes, others will start to tumble but would be happy to be wrong and see Australia emerge with a hard fought draw. The next half-hour and the middle session should provide clear pointers as to the finish.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Very much agree Guilford. Aus are showing the sort of grit that England have seriously lacked in so many games over the past couple of years, espeically away form home. They lack talent and depth in their batting, and are facing alien conditions that suit a type of bowlinbg they dont usually face. Most of the lineup are naturaly aggressive players ...all the excuses we get for the likes of Stokes, Bairstow, Moeen (and the umpteen dropped batsmen) struggling for consistent scores or time at the crease.
As with the bowlers in the first innings whilst they are probably still on a hiding to nothing at leats they have stuck to their task and played in the way required. They are doing far better than anyone couldve confidently predicted in this innings, unlike the first which showed just how fragile this side can be.
Particular priase for Khawaja whos been thrust into the role of senior batsman and opener after being written off multiple times and having a poor record against spin. Hes stepped up to the plate and delivered in both innings when it wouldve been easy to just give in. Discipline and determination to value his wicket.

(Marsh borther excepted)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Only three wickets have fallen in the morning session all test - and one of them was a night watchman. The real hard work lays ahead for the Aussies
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Getting through that session unscathed gives Australia a real chance of saving the match...Pakistan bowlers have done some work already and they will be wondering where the next wicket is coming from.

But like guildford I do have an itchy feeling that one wicket will bring a few more quickly...

Whatever : game is going to the last half day ; which makes it a "good" Test , despite the overly flat pitch. Could still be a tense finish.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 pm

New ball taken immediately. Wicket taken immediately. Expect a quick collapse now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Surely Khawaja's most valuable century ...made in the part of the world he has always found too challenging in the past clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Century for Khawaja and no immediate second wicket ...this is as good as Aus couldve dreamed of so far.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Century for Khawaja and no immediate second wicket ...this is as good as Aus couldve dreamed of so far.

Very much so and continuing to defy (my) expectations. Will it last?

Whatever the result, a ''good'' Test as per Alfie's post. VTR - have we convinced you now? Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Labuschagne not holding them up long enough leaves Paine with a lot of work to do if Australia are to save this...not sure the bowlers are going to be up to long resistance in these conditions. Think these two need to get to tea at least...
Khawaja , of course , just has to stay there. Must be getting a bit weary after batting 94 overs !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 pm

45 overs bowled so far today, 2 wickets taken.
45 left, 5 to take.

Pakistan remain my tip but it's been harder work for them than I expected ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 pm

alfie wrote:Labuschagne not holding them up long enough leaves Paine with a lot of work to do if Australia are to save this...not sure the bowlers are going to be up to long resistance in these conditions. Think these two need to get to tea at least...
Khawaja , of course , just has to stay there.  Must be getting a bit weary after batting 94 overs !

Just looked up Paine's batting stats. Surprised that going into this one, he had a Test average of almost 41.
13 Tests, 22 innings, 5 not outs - so just about enough not to be misleading.
In contrast, averaging only a tad above 30 in first class games which is more like I expected.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Australia are showing a lot more fight than we have seen from England in similar situations.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:Labuschagne not holding them up long enough leaves Paine with a lot of work to do if Australia are to save this...not sure the bowlers are going to be up to long resistance in these conditions. Think these two need to get to tea at least...
Khawaja , of course , just has to stay there.  Must be getting a bit weary after batting 94 overs !

Just looked up Paine's batting stats. Surprised that going into this one, he had a Test average of almost 41.
13 Tests, 22 innings, 5 not outs - so just about enough not to be misleading.
In contrast, averaging only a tad above 30 in first class games which is more like I expected.
Paine's first class record is misleading Guildford. Paine suffered a horrific finger, pretty similar to young Haseeb Hameed, he had surgery a reputed 6 times. Anyhow hIs confidence was shattered and he was essentially a walking wicket when he finally returned for Tasmania. Paine's standout Test performance thus far when he scored 90 and 50 in the same match in India

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Surely the continued failed experiment of the Marsgh brothers should finally end after yet another woefully inept display. Shaun Marsh is averaging 20 in his last 15 overseas matches.. Mitchell Marsh, aside from that fluke Ashes series, averages 21 in his other 26 matches and an eyewatering 75 with the ball in his last 15 matches.

How Yorkshire born Matthew Renshaw missed out is pretty ridiculous. Handscombe, Burns and Maxwell would be right to be a little peed

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Paine and Khawaja hanging in well...not long to tea now. Still think one wicket will open a gate ; but with the bowlers all looking tired and somewhat short of inspiration one wonders if a wicket will fall. Best recent chance was a run out opportunity...

Yasir has had a forgettable game ; but he's probably the one that could run through the tail if he can somehow get at it.

Have to say the pitch has remained surprisingly good for batting , after appearing to turn a bit dangerous later on day three. Perhaps the flurry of wickets that afternoon owed a good deal more to poor batting than the surface ...or perhaps the extreme slowness has rendered any turn and bounce fairly innocuous...

Draw at least 50/50 now...would be quite the achievement for Australia !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 pm

How many 4th innings centuries have australian openers made in Asia? I cant imagine the numbers very high

(Checks statsguru...its the 4th and highest ever)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 pm

alfie wrote:Paine and Khawaja hanging in well...not long to tea now.  Still think one wicket will open a gate ; but with the bowlers all looking tired and somewhat short of inspiration one wonders if a wicket will fall. Best recent chance was a run out opportunity...

Yasir has had a forgettable game ; but he's probably the one that could run through the tail if he can somehow get at it.  

Have to say the pitch has remained surprisingly good for batting , after appearing to turn a bit dangerous later on day three. Perhaps the flurry of wickets that afternoon owed a good deal more to poor batting than the surface ...or perhaps the extreme slowness has rendered any turn and bounce fairly innocuous...

Draw at least 50/50 now...would be quite the achievement for Australia !

Even if the pitch isnt giving much this is a hell of a comeback rearguard action. Whatever happens now theres members of this team who should be very proud of the grit theyve shown (one afternoon aside).

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 pm

31 overs to go and Pak needs 5 wickets
chance of a draw now stands at 50% in my books
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi Alfie - well, you know what I said about enforcing the follow on even before I said it! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Probably the odds are shading towards the draw , now...inside the last 28 overs and you'd think Pakistan would need to break this pair pretty soon to have time to finish the job. (Only takes one ball though!)
Reckon the bowlers should be good for fifteen ? So that leaves another dozen for these two to bat out.

Whatever happens I'd agree with goose that its been a very determined and praiseworthy effort - especially after that awful fold up in the first innings.

Of course if they hadn't folded up on Tuesday like that this would have gone down as a bore draw ages ago Smile

You have to love Test Cricket.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:33 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Alfie - well, you know what I said about enforcing the follow on even before I said it! Wink

Haha....yes , if this ends up a draw they will wonder about that choice , won't they ? Whether it would have worked of course we cannot know ; but I guess we can say that it did allow Australia time to reflect on their first innings mistakes and perhaps recover some poise before batting again...not that it did much for the Marsh boys Smile

Still I'd have given long odds against Australia batting 115 overs for five wickets on days four and five : as I think you would too ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Khawaja will get the headlines if Australia get the draw but a darn fine innings as well so far from Paine. 32 runs scored but more importantly 100 balls faced.

Draw seeming the more likely but if (IF) Pakistan could get a couple in the next dozen overs or so requiring them to get the last 3 wickets in the last 10 overs, they could yet do it ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Pakistan not doing too well with drs...failed to review an obvious lbw early today and now burning the last referral in a rather desperate attempt to get Paine ...somehow not spotting a clear inside edge.

Paine has indeed done a great job : not just in batting this day... I think he managed to instill a bit of belief into his troops as well after the first innings fiasco : I think he's a good leader.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Khawaja falls just after the drinks break. Deserves MotM even if Aus now crumble.

Can the tail stick with Paine for 14 overs?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 pm

7 down and last day last hour test cricket alive and throbbing ......yet again
Siddle and Lyon and both can grit it out
my gut feeling is a draw with Aus 8 down
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 pm

alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Hi Alfie - well, you know what I said about enforcing the follow on even before I said it! Wink

Haha....yes , if this ends up a draw they will wonder about that choice , won't they ? Whether it would have worked of course we cannot know ; but I guess we can say that it did allow Australia time to reflect on their first innings mistakes and perhaps recover some poise before batting again...not that it did much for the Marsh boys Smile

Still I'd have given long odds against Australia batting 115 overs for five wickets on days four and five : as I think you would too ...

Yep, totally.

Tbf, although I would have enforced the follow on (as usual Wink ), I didn't think not doing so would make any difference to the result.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:42 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Khawaja will get the headlines if Australia get the draw but a darn fine innings as well so far from Paine. 32 runs scored but more importantly 100 balls faced.

Draw seeming the more likely but if (IF) Pakistan could get a couple in the next dozen overs or so requiring them to get the last 3 wickets in the last 10 overs, they could yet do it ....

It's on! 10 overs left, 2 wickets to get ....

What a Test!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Hmm...my Internet connection went down for half an hour so I wasn't able to post "draw now certain" Smile

Just as well as I've watched three falling in a couple of overs...Though I believe I did suggest Yasir might run through the tail if he got the chance !

Still two wickets standing so this might yet go right to the end. This is becoming a Desert Classic...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm

45 balls and 2 wickets left

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 pm

Last time England put up this amount of fight to save a game was, I think, the game against Sri Lanka where Jimmy was out in the last over.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 am

LondonTiger play finishes at 2.30pm uk time so probably 7-9 overs left

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next