SBW fast

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SBW fast

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 9:50 am

Just wanted to express the amount of admiration I have for sonny bill. I can't imagine how hard it is to be a professional rugby player let alone one who plays under the huge expectation of being an all black. Then just think how hard it must be for a practising Muslim during Ramadan. No food.or refreshment during day light hours.

We've already seen him put in a fantastic performance from a couple of weeks ago. The cynic says target him early and make him use that energy but you've got to respect the dedication he has to his religion.

Looking forward to a battle between him and te'o.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11881129

No 7&1/2

Posts : 13869
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by TightHEAD on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 10:50 am

Rolling Eyes
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2803
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : USK

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

Have I said something wrong?

No 7&1/2

Posts : 13869
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by yappysnap on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 11:25 am

Really impressive, he was fasting when he played a couple of weeks ago and still looked miles ahead of others

yappysnap

Posts : 10755
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : Guildford, Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by rapidsnowman on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 11:32 am

Interesting fact: People often put on weight during daylight fasting because they gorge themselves at night and then go to bed.

SBW will be a prop by the end of this series Very Happy

rapidsnowman

Posts : 401
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by marty2086 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 11:36 am

It'll be interesting to see how he goes, with the uber professional approach to all facets of preparation now in top level sport I'm sure the ABs and SBW have got him on a diet and sleep plan so that he is getting all that he needs in the run up to the game.

Though he was less than 2 weeks into Ramadan when he played for the Blues, I wonder if being further along will have an impact

marty2086

Posts : 8188
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by ebop on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 1:37 pm

Ramadan in winter would be a piece of cake right?
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3904
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 1:56 pm

Easier than here but a pro sportsman to maintain performance...impressive. last day today I believe so even if performance does dip no issue for 2nd test.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 13869
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by ebop on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 2:03 pm

Yeah 7.5, SBW has said it's not as onerous as what it'd be for those in the NH. SBW is a pro of the highest order and is much respected by other players for his attitude.
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3904
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by kiakahaaotearoa on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm

He's actually not that quick. Ryan Crotty on the other hand is deceptively fast.

kiakahaaotearoa

Posts : 8287
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Madrid

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by aucklandlaurie on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 3:39 pm

Sonny Bill has deceptively fast hands.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7391
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by kiakahaaotearoa on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 3:40 pm

Are you saying he's eating on the sly, Laurie?

kiakahaaotearoa

Posts : 8287
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Madrid

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by aucklandlaurie on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 3:44 pm

You never know what they get up to in those mosques.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7391
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 3:48 pm

Controversial perhaps in the modern climate where everything is apparently offensive, but it isn't that impressive. Those I know who engage in Ramadan have absolutely mighty feasts at the end of the day, making the feat not all that remarkable. The lack of water is impressive I guess. My knowledge of fasting prior to learning of Ramadan that it was total abstinance of food for an extended period of time (such as the example of Jesus fasting for 40 days). Some Christians still do such a thing.

Sumo wrestlers are known to gorge one enormous meal a day, by the way. Other strength sports are known to have sportsmen eating very few enormous meals as well. I don't know the exact reasons behind it.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 3:58 pm

Riiiight.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 13869
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by Exiledinborders on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 4:02 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Sumo wrestlers are known to gorge one enormous meal a day, by the way.
That's nothing. Andy Goode ate five enormous meals a day and what a player he was.

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1381
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 4:05 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Sumo wrestlers are known to gorge one enormous meal a day, by the way.
That's nothing. Andy Goode ate five enormous meals a day and what a player he was.

Now that's impressive. I always liked Andy Goode.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by lostinwales on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Controversial perhaps in the modern climate where everything is apparently offensive, but it isn't that impressive. Those I know who engage in Ramadan have absolutely mighty feasts at the end of the day, making the feat not all that remarkable. The lack of water is impressive I guess. My knowledge of fasting prior to learning of Ramadan that it was total abstinance of food for an extended period of time (such as the example of Jesus fasting for 40 days). Some Christians still do such a thing.

Sumo wrestlers are known to gorge one enormous meal a day, by the way. Other strength sports are known to have sportsmen eating very few enormous meals as well. I don't know the exact reasons behind it.

The one guy we have at work who is respecting Ramadan is working from 6AM to 2PM when he goes home to sleep until dusk. Mornings hes working at full speed. Come early afternoon he's usually struggling. Seems crazy to have Ramadan in the month with the longest days.

lostinwales

Posts : 7055
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by Exiledinborders on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 5:24 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Controversial perhaps in the modern climate where everything is apparently offensive, but it isn't that impressive. Those I know who engage in Ramadan have absolutely mighty feasts at the end of the day, making the feat not all that remarkable. The lack of water is impressive I guess. My knowledge of fasting prior to learning of Ramadan that it was total abstinance of food for an extended period of time (such as the example of Jesus fasting for 40 days). Some Christians still do such a thing.

Sumo wrestlers are known to gorge one enormous meal a day, by the way. Other strength sports are known to have sportsmen eating very few enormous meals as well. I don't know the exact reasons behind it.

The one guy we have at work who is respecting Ramadan is working from 6AM to 2PM when he goes home to sleep until dusk. Mornings hes working at full speed. Come early afternoon he's usually struggling. Seems crazy to have Ramadan in the month with the longest days.
The Arabia the days are pretty much all the same length.

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1381
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 5:49 pm

Working in a Muslim country myself, I have nothing but respect for SBW and hid abilty to churn out quality performances during Ramadan. The guys I work with are even more useless during this time and pretty much do nothing bar occasionally turning up.

On the plus, my working hours are reduced to 8-1 for a month Smile

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32857
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 6:24 pm

Ah right so AWJ needs to do more fasting in order for you stop having bitchfits over him.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by No 7&1/2 on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 6:28 pm

Bitch about the English on a thread about jones.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 13869
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 6:36 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Bitch about the English on a thread about jones.

Eddie? Adam? Alun-Wyn? Tom? Can you be more specific.

By the way I don't bitch about the English I just point out the truth to you all; evidently you don't like truth Smile.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by No 7&1/2 on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 6:39 pm

Point out the truth on a thread about it.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 13869
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 6:42 pm

I tend to see more Welsh whinging than actual attacking the Welsh lately. It's quite sad to constantly play the oppressed card, can we not move on?

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32857
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by yappysnap on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 7:10 pm

Sad and oppressed seem to be the only things going for Mikeyd

yappysnap

Posts : 10755
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 29
Location : Guildford, Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by Ineffable on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 2:13 pm

He's not that fast

Ineffable

Posts : 718
Join date : 2013-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: SBW fast

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum