Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark on Fri 16 Jun 2017, 3:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

He came across very poor as did fellow lib Clegg with his constant sniping at the Brexit issue.
Good riddance to both.Libs may well be a non entity now.
Tories have to proceed with caution now and build up some confidence again.

Our fire guy at work is telling us today that they really should have gone for a full evacuation at an early stage but that runs right against all previous policy putting residents and fire staff in potentially greater danger.In Blackadder terms it would have been going 'over the top'

dynamark

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down


Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:05 pm

Its confirmed Suoer has lost the plot over Lewis Hamilton and F!.
Shame but unavoidable

dynamark

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:56 pm

puligny wrote:Changed it a year or 2 back Kwini. This is now the regular slot. I think it's something to do with Cliff Richard being away for the second week!!!!

Brilliant! And probably true Laugh Laugh Laugh

raycastleunited

Posts : 3103
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 10:07 pm

super_realist wrote:
Why don't you get back to watching Transworld Sport or something? You probably think that's supporting LGBT because you're so PC and right on.

This properly cracked me up. Laugh Laugh

Although I think the acronym is now LGBTQIA Whistle

raycastleunited

Posts : 3103
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 11:24 pm

Rangers.. oh yeah picard

pedro

Posts : 5947
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 12:04 am

pedro wrote:Rangers.. oh yeah picard

They did finish 4th in Luxembourg league so it was always going to be a tough ask for any Scottish team

raycastleunited

Posts : 3103
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 10:06 am

raycastleunited wrote:
pedro wrote:Rangers.. oh yeah picard

They did finish 4th in Luxembourg league so it was always going to be a tough ask for any Scottish team

The sad thing is it's not entirely unexpected.

On a lighter note, the Rangers boss was last night contacted by Teresa May and offered a role in speeding up the Brexit Process :-p

JAS

Posts : 3017
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 55
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 10:56 am

Scottish football needs to switch to Summer Football. I have no idea why it tries to compete with football running at the usual time. No wonder there's no money in it.

It's ranked 23 in European rankings and with continued failure to qualify, so what's it got to lose?

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 11:57 am

I'm not sure that would make much difference Super as the problems are a lot deeper than "seasonal".

Think I've said it before but the games administrators are drowning in parochial jealousy. Celtic and Rangers are the cash cows and the other clubs hate them for it and the old firm hate each other. Hardly the backdrop for astute commercial acumen needed to survive in today's football world. The decision to demote Rangers to the 4th tier 5 years ago was one of the finest examples ever seen of cutting your nose to spite your face. It was Scottish footballs Lehman Brothers moment.

Summer football would be worth a try though because as you say, what have they got to lose...
Pride? Nope, lost that long ago
Sponsorship? Nope, it's a pittance compared to others at the mo
Credibility? Nope see pride above.

JAS

Posts : 3017
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 55
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 12:03 pm

At worst JAS, they'd be better prepared for the hopeless task of qualifying.

Instead of getting knocked out by Luxembourg part timers, they might get as far as the Norwegian League runner up team before getting humped.

Rangers and Celtic cause the league an issue by asset stripping the league, then moaning there isn't enough competition in it.

They had no choice to send Rangers down. How could you excuse them? Those are the rules and it doesn't favour certain clubs regardless of the implications of it.

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 1:28 pm

Summer football would not be a goer, because the best, richest and biggest team played in Champions League until December last year. They will not agree to it. The size and history of Celtic and Rangers skews the league into seemingly being bigger then what it is. Its a small country with two massive clubs, no issues with Celtic buying the best players from the other clubs, all big teams do in all leagues. As long as they also produce good players, the left back seems pretty decent?

beninho

Posts : 3192
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 1:37 pm

I mean Summer Football for the Scottish Teams, much of the time they aren't even qualifying.
Instead of going in cold and getting knocked out by teams like Artmedia Bratislava, Braga, Malmo, Utrecht, Maribor etc they could at least have had 1/3rd of a season under their belts before they get to qualifying, just like these teams have.

Celtic have only got to December twice in the last 6 years, and even if they did, so what, Norway, Sweden and Denmark leagues run until November. Hardly much of a stretch for them to play another couple of weeks.

Summer football seems the only way they are going to be in any shape for a decent qualifying campaign.

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 3:21 pm

You say that but in the 00's both the old firm got to a European final. Fully agree though that it was in spite of the set up not because of it. The decline had been a slow steady one caused by the inability to face financial reality, the Setanta collapse accelerated it then when the bumped Rangers down, over the cliff it went. I do think the "wee teams" would rather bring the old firm down rather than raise their own game.
As for the whole shabang that brought Rangers down, it was all a sham, half the premiership at the time were using EBTs, HMRC wanted to use Rangers as a test case to set a precedent (why do you think they're still appealing even though the old co went belly up and so they have no chance of retrieving any money), they wanted to set case law to go after others.

JAS

Posts : 3017
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 55
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 3:28 pm

That was ever such a long time ago JAS and not relevant to today, and at a time when there was still money in the league. There's none now.

THe "wee teams" struggle to raise their games because the "big teams" buy all their players as soon as someone is half decent, AND then Celtic/Rangers complain the league isn't good enough for them when they habitually and predictably fail in Europe. They can't have it both ways and they sew the seeds for themselves. If they want a better league, better not biting the hand which feeds you.

Something has to change, because if they continue going on like this, in a few years, Rangers and Celtic will be getting knocked out of Europe in the qualifying by a Vatican City XI.

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 8:49 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:
dynamark wrote:I feel I am intruding.
Mac what is a gamer? I always find real life to be much more fun.
Hamilton is Ok fair enough one dimensional from the outside  but so are most very successful persons.

It's  not that he's one dimensional. It's that he's a spoilt brat and a complete diva.
Vettel is more successful than Hamilton, but seems a decent guy and very rarely heard complaining.


Hamilton will ignore his indiscretions and highlight everyone others and then make claims that his team are out to get him because his car has been less reliable. He's a grade a w.anchor.
Apology accepted.
However, the Aryan thing would be more that soops seems to keep his special sauce for those of colour.
Nonsense. It's you that's throwing accusations of racial prejudice around on the back of zero evidence. I suggest you stop it.

Whoa there navy. Hamilton, Woods, Ashley Cole. Coincidence? Probably. I think Monty is well within his rights to point it out, and you are well out of order for telling him to stop.
Actually, no. There's no evidence and I'm fed up to the back teeth with idiots the World over throwing around cheap accusations about racism, sexism etc etc. It's easy to tar someone with no actual evidence at all. If there's evidence or someone thinks this sort of comment is out of order, report it.

Just to be clear: Stop it. Last warning.
avatar
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7069
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:08 am

So being overtly offensive about peoples religion is ok, but raise the idea that someone seems to be racist and it's slapped down. Riiiigggghhhht, gotcha Shocked OK clap clap
avatar
MontysMerkin

Posts : 1590
Join date : 2013-03-26
Location : North Lincs

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:16 am

Monty, there's nothing wrong with being offensive about religion. You don't have a right to have your religion respected, nor do you have a right not to be offended.

However, making INCORRECT insinuations that someone might be a racist on a MINUTE DATA SET is what you are being pulled up for as it's close to being libellous and a defamation to my character.  All you've done is use confirmation bias because you want me to be seen as racist and you've isolated just 3 examples among a sea of people I've criticised. You haven't got anything like evidence that I'm racist, so please don't infer I am. Mac behaves like a buffoon and a WUM, but I expected better from you Monty.



Last edited by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:41 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:
dynamark wrote:I feel I am intruding.
Mac what is a gamer? I always find real life to be much more fun.
Hamilton is Ok fair enough one dimensional from the outside  but so are most very successful persons.

It's  not that he's one dimensional. It's that he's a spoilt brat and a complete diva.
Vettel is more successful than Hamilton, but seems a decent guy and very rarely heard complaining.


Hamilton will ignore his indiscretions and highlight everyone others and then make claims that his team are out to get him because his car has been less reliable. He's a grade a w.anchor.
Apology accepted.
However, the Aryan thing would be more that soops seems to keep his special sauce for those of colour.
Nonsense. It's you that's throwing accusations of racial prejudice around on the back of zero evidence. I suggest you stop it.

Whoa there navy. Hamilton, Woods, Ashley Cole. Coincidence? Probably. I think Monty is well within his rights to point it out, and you are well out of order for telling him to stop.
Actually, no. There's no evidence and I'm fed up to the back teeth with idiots the World over throwing around cheap accusations about racism, sexism etc etc. It's easy to tar someone with no actual evidence at all. If there's evidence or someone thinks this sort of comment is out of order, report it.

Just to be clear: Stop it. Last warning.

Don't get out your red pen just because you've been embarrassed. Just take it on the chin and move on. "last warning" - haha don't take yourself so seriously. Hug

raycastleunited

Posts : 3103
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:45 am

Now, I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that people in the UK have a right to have his religious views respected and protected.

But everyone has a right to their own beliefs, some beliefs may be that people are idiots for religious views, other people may have beliefs that some one may be showing racist tendencies. But as mentioned its down to the person involved on whether they take offence or not.

beninho

Posts : 3192
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:48 am

Well said benny

raycastleunited

Posts : 3103
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:48 am

super_realist wrote:Monty, there's nothing wrong with being offensive about religion. You don't have a right to have your religion respected, nor do you have a right not to be offended.

However, making INCORRECT insinuations that someone might be a racist on a MINUTE DATA SET is what you are being pulled up for as it's close to being libellous and a defamation to my character.  All you've done is use confirmation bias because you want me to be seen as racist and you've isolated just 3 examples among a sea of people I've criticised. You haven't got anything like evidence that I'm racist, so please don't infer I am. Mac behaves like a buffoon and a WUM, but I expected better from you Monty.

Like Mac, you could probably do with aquiring a better grasp of the English language as you've obviously failed to grasp why you've been warned.
Your character sucks raspberry
Your true colours are there to be seen vomit
It just negates your opinions, as your constant denigration of successful black sportsmen and women being the odious bile they are. thumbsdown
avatar
MontysMerkin

Posts : 1590
Join date : 2013-03-26
Location : North Lincs

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:49 am

No they don't.
Religion is not immune from criticism, ridicule or parody.

They only have a right to HOLD those beliefs. There is no requirement for it to be respected, catered for or protected, only that they can't be discriminated against because of them.

It's fine for Monty to believe I'm a racist, it's not ok for him to make a false claim or infer that I am. Big difference.

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:55 am

super_realist wrote:No they don't.
Religion is not immune from criticism, ridicule or parody.

They only have a right to HOLD those beliefs. There is no requirement for it to be respected, catered for or protected,  only that they can't be discriminated against because of them.

It's fine for Monty to believe I'm a racist, it's not ok for him to make a false claim or infer that I am. Big difference.
Why would I think you're racist?
avatar
MontysMerkin

Posts : 1590
Join date : 2013-03-26
Location : North Lincs

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:05 am

So if someone cannot be discriminated against for their religious beliefs then those beliefs are protected characteristics along with sex, race, disability, age, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership.

No arguments with it not being immune from criticism, ridicule or parody, thats pretty clear. But religious views are protected. You cant not employ someone due to their religious views, you have to take into account religious views at work and in various activities.


beninho

Posts : 3192
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:05 am

You tried to make a pathetic tenuous link that because I don't like Cole, Hamilton and Woods that it's because I'm "racist" despite the fact I dislike and often criticise tons of people who aren't mixed race, like Bubba Watson, Gordon Spieth, Zach Johnson, Shane Lowry etc. You have no data to suggest I'm racist, so I'd appreciate if you didn't infer I am.

I had actually considered you someone of reasonable intelligence, but if you can't see why such in insinuation is deeply flawed then like Mac, you need to study English a bit more.

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:11 am

beninho wrote:So if someone cannot be discriminated against for their religious beliefs then those beliefs are protected characteristics along with sex, race, disability, age, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership.

No arguments with it not being immune from criticism, ridicule or parody, thats pretty clear. But religious views are protected. You cant not employ someone due to their religious views, you have to take into account religious views at work and in various activities.


Correct, you can't be discriminated against in regards to someone's religion, but I haven't done that. Their actual view however isn't protected.

You don't have to take religious view into account or make provisions for them at work, you simply can't be discriminatory in regards to employing them. For example. You aren't required to have a multi faith room, you aren't required to give people free time off for religious holidays etc, you don't have to excuse people serving alcohol or beef/pork etc.


super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:16 am

super_realist wrote:You tried to make a pathetic tenuous link that because I don't like Cole, Hamilton and Woods that it's because I'm "racist" despite the fact I dislike and often criticise tons of people who aren't mixed race, like Bubba Watson, Gordon Spieth, Zach Johnson, Shane Lowry etc. You have no data to suggest I'm racist, so I'd appreciate if you didn't infer I am.

I had actually considered you someone of reasonable intelligence, but if you can't see why such in insinuation is deeply flawed then like Mac, you need to study English a bit more.
Your posting history would suggest you are uncomfortable with successful black men and women. Take that as a gentle suggestion to engage your intellectual faculties before posting, in order to avoid confusion.
avatar
MontysMerkin

Posts : 1590
Join date : 2013-03-26
Location : North Lincs

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:18 am

No it wouldn't at all, only if you use confirmation bias like you have.

I don't like lots of people in the public eye and have repeatedly posted about them and why, why are you ignoring ALL of them?

You're being an oaf Monty and you know it.

By the way, name ANY black women I've ever mentioned in a derisory way?


super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

super_realist wrote: it's close to being a defamation to my character.  
Not needed. You're taking good care if that yourself.. Very Happy

pedro

Posts : 5947
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:33 am

super_realist wrote:
By the way, name ANY black women I've ever mentioned in a derisory way?
The gorilla?

pedro

Posts : 5947
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:38 am

I didn't at all. That was all to do with peoples' dreadful grasp of homophones. (steady Mac)

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:41 am

I have a bit of an issue, I live on the south coast and they are building a decent sized wind farm at the minute. They have just started to add some of the turbines and suddenly, even though they are a distance out, they do seem pretty big.
My problem is that I'm all for these kind of energy methods...but we have a sea view and I prefer the view without the turbines. It's not that I find them ugly, it's just that I like that infinity feeling you get looking at the sea (even though it's only the Channel).
Anyway, my conclusion is that I'm clearly a NIMBY, had suspected as much for a while but I now have to accept the reality!

Diggers

Posts : 7782
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:46 am

Put it this way Diggers, Would you rather have a couple of dozen turbines, or would you prefer a nuclear powerstation spoiling your view?


super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:49 am

MontysMerkin wrote:So being overtly offensive about peoples religion is ok, but raise the idea that someone seems to be racist and it's slapped down. Riiiigggghhhht, gotcha Shocked OK clap clap
I'll bite. In actual fact, S_R is very specific about why he slags off all religions. You're accusing him of racism (in a cowardly, roundabout sort of way), but on the basis of nothing that anyone would claim as decent evidence. He's slagged off all sorts of people, of all creeds and colours. Take umbrage at his sometimes deliberately offensive (and, I'd probably agree, unnecessary) language by all means, but be very careful about tarring people as racist etc on such flimsy 'evidence' as you've used.
avatar
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7069
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:49 am

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:
dynamark wrote:I feel I am intruding.
Mac what is a gamer? I always find real life to be much more fun.
Hamilton is Ok fair enough one dimensional from the outside  but so are most very successful persons.

It's  not that he's one dimensional. It's that he's a spoilt brat and a complete diva.
Vettel is more successful than Hamilton, but seems a decent guy and very rarely heard complaining.


Hamilton will ignore his indiscretions and highlight everyone others and then make claims that his team are out to get him because his car has been less reliable. He's a grade a w.anchor.
Apology accepted.
However, the Aryan thing would be more that soops seems to keep his special sauce for those of colour.
Nonsense. It's you that's throwing accusations of racial prejudice around on the back of zero evidence. I suggest you stop it.

Whoa there navy. Hamilton, Woods, Ashley Cole. Coincidence? Probably. I think Monty is well within his rights to point it out, and you are well out of order for telling him to stop.
Actually, no. There's no evidence and I'm fed up to the back teeth with idiots the World over throwing around cheap accusations about racism, sexism etc etc. It's easy to tar someone with no actual evidence at all. If there's evidence or someone thinks this sort of comment is out of order, report it.

Just to be clear: Stop it. Last warning.

Don't get out your red pen just because you've been embarrassed. Just take it on the chin and move on. "last warning" - haha don't take yourself so seriously. Hug
Fine, be a plonker then. I won't repeat it again.
avatar
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7069
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:59 am

Diggers wrote:I have a bit of an issue, I live on the south coast and they are building a decent  sized wind farm at the minute. They have just started to add some of the turbines and suddenly, even though they are a distance out, they do seem pretty big.
My problem is that I'm all for these kind of energy methods...but we have a sea view and I prefer the view without the turbines. It's not that I find them ugly, it's just that I like that infinity feeling you get looking at the sea (even though it's only the Channel).
Anyway, my conclusion is that I'm clearly a NIMBY, had suspected as much for a while but I now have to accept the reality!
Laugh At least you're honest about it. I suspect we're all NIMBYs are at heart. I actually quite like the wind turbines - quite elegant bits of kit. Not sure I'd like them overlooking the back garden though...

Pretty jealous of you and your sea view, I have to admit!
avatar
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7069
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 12:01 pm

super_realist wrote:Put it this way Diggers, Would you rather have a couple of dozen turbines, or would you prefer a nuclear powerstation spoiling your view?


Funnily enough, if you peer right you can just about see a small powerstation, but it's not nuclear!

Diggers

Posts : 7782
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 12:03 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:I have a bit of an issue, I live on the south coast and they are building a decent  sized wind farm at the minute. They have just started to add some of the turbines and suddenly, even though they are a distance out, they do seem pretty big.
My problem is that I'm all for these kind of energy methods...but we have a sea view and I prefer the view without the turbines. It's not that I find them ugly, it's just that I like that infinity feeling you get looking at the sea (even though it's only the Channel).
Anyway, my conclusion is that I'm clearly a NIMBY, had suspected as much for a while but I now have to accept the reality!
Laugh At least you're honest about it. I suspect we're all NIMBYs are at heart. I actually quite like the wind turbines - quite elegant bits of kit. Not sure I'd like them overlooking the back garden though...

Pretty jealous of you and your sea view, I have to admit!

Yes, I agree they are elegant, just need shoving up the coast a few miles Navy! We are about a mile back from the sea but uphill, so it's not a huge sweeping expanse but I still do love being able to see it. Makes me feel calm, which is often needed after a day teaching 10 year olds.

Diggers

Posts : 7782
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 12:20 pm

Shocking... 101 people shot in Chicago over 4th July weekend:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-july-4-weekend-shootings-violence-20170705-story.html

raycastleunited

Posts : 3103
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 12:34 pm

I've read before that Chicago has some real issues with gangs and gun crime. But the Gun laws in that country are just ridiculous.

beninho

Posts : 3192
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 1:40 pm

Even newspapers from the 1930s were full of it...

But what fitting way to celebrate their independence and constitutional right to bear arms..

pedro

Posts : 5947
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 3:26 pm

Digs are the turbines out at sea? or at the bottom of the garden.
I think we have to accept the turbines as a progress heavy up front cost but good thereafter.
Funny today driving back from Northampton and a couple of roof full of solar panels on one of the hottest days of the year. Didn't we have a day this year when renewables supplied the total load on the grid.

dynamark

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 3:41 pm

I think we had a day where renewables were responsible for over 50% of the energy consumed (or produced?) for the first time.

Roller_Coaster

Posts : 2244
Join date : 2012-06-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 3:47 pm

dynamark wrote:Digs are the turbines out at sea? or at the bottom of the garden.
I think we have to accept the turbines as a progress heavy up front cost but good thereafter.
Funny today driving back from Northampton and a couple of roof full of solar panels on one of the hottest days of the year. Didn't we have a day this year when renewables supplied the total load on the grid.

Definitely out at sea, in fact 13km out so not exactly looming. I'm originally from a seaside town called Redcar, still go back to see my folks, they have their turbines 1.5km off shore. That said they definitely improve the view which is pretty industrial. Not sure if it's a case of different winds to generate the best power in certain geographical areas, or whether they just don't care about upsetting people in the north east compared to people on the south coast.

Diggers

Posts : 7782
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 3:50 pm

There's a lot of maintenance required on turbines. A neighbour of mine works on working in regards to erosion of the blades to try and develop more aerodynamic ones which are more durable.

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

super_realist wrote:There's a lot of maintenance required on turbines. A neighbour of mine works on working in regards to erosion of the blades to try and develop more aerodynamic ones which are more durable.

But they're nearly all German made (seimens) so very efficient and reliable. Don't know if you can trust their emissions controls though laughing

raycastleunited

Posts : 3103
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 6:58 pm

A lot of gash frothing from the menopausal spectators on centre court.

super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Davie on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 7:54 pm

super_realist wrote:A lot of gash frothing from the menopausal spectators on centre court.

Eloquent as always

Davie

Posts : 7525
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 57
Location : Berkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:21 pm

super_realist wrote:A lot of gash frothing from the menopausal spectators on centre court.

What prompted that outburst?
avatar
McLaren

Posts : 13064
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:25 pm

Was watching the Federer match and noted how many middle aged women were getting a bit over-excited.


super_realist

Posts : 21850
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm

Not much frothing by St.Johnstone fans in Vilnius this evening super, I see Lithuania has powerhouses just as Luxemburg do.

Pretty sad in the big picture, and this can't do much for Scottish footie and their coefficient in Europe? Perhaps you can go to Aberdeen's game next week and cheer them on to some success. Hopefully they and Celtic can fly the flag a little more proudly.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24118
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum