The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+21
SmithersJones
1GrumpyGolfer
Plunky
Hibbz
Roller_Coaster
JAS
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
Yadsendew
puligny
MontysMerkin
Davie
raycastleunited
Mad for Chelsea
kwinigolfer
pedro
Be_the_ball
beninho
McLaren
Diggers
dynamark
25 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Fri 16 Jun 2017, 3:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

He came across very poor as did fellow lib Clegg with his constant sniping at the Brexit issue.
Good riddance to both.Libs may well be a non entity now.
Tories have to proceed with caution now and build up some confidence again.

Our fire guy at work is telling us today that they really should have gone for a full evacuation at an early stage but that runs right against all previous policy putting residents and fire staff in potentially greater danger.In Blackadder terms it would have been going 'over the top'

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by puligny Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:43 am

Beckham was pilloried as a result of a campaign orchestrated by the press, and to some extent TV. Sun led the charge, but others were in there too e.g. I recall one of the regular pieces in the Indepedent had some background images, one of which was a made up banner with the legend "David Beckscum!" I wrote to them about it at the time - never got a response. The press did something similar previously with Chris Waddle, who I don't think ever played for England without being booed! Personally don't recall him being a bad player?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Wed 30 Aug 2017, 9:07 am

I thought it was reported that Southgate contacted Rooney to call him up for the squad, he had previously stripped him of the captaincy and not picked him. Rooney then made the decision to retire from international football.

Rooney is clearly one of the best English players ever, he seems to get bashed because he is not a ronaldo or messi.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:06 am

Mbappe for £167m is ridiculous. He has scored 16 goals for Monaco. This is the most ridiculous transfer ever. This is worse than Stones, Shaw, Walker or any english player. Its beyond belief.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:23 am

beninho wrote:Mbappe for £167m is ridiculous. He has scored 16 goals for Monaco. This is the most ridiculous transfer ever. This is worse than Stones, Shaw, Walker or any english player. Its beyond belief.

It's gone stupid. The £200m+ Neymar fee has resulted in absurd numbers being quoted for average players.

Roy Keane summed it up best, Giggs would be worth £2bn in today's market.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:33 am

I have only seen Mbappe in a few CL matches, but he didn't look any better than Martial or Rashford. In fact Rashford would clearly be the better of the three.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:40 am

I used to think that Alli would be near 100m, i think he would be well above based on how its gone. If Coutinho is being banded at 130 Alli would be over 150.

But its just plucking numbers out of the air with most of them. There is no real reasoning.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 30 Aug 2017, 12:08 pm

super_realist wrote:
Davie wrote:To be fair Super, that absurd expectation is the making of the media and no one else

I think the vast majority of England fans see that mediocrity - until the next WC or Euros comes around - then there will always be the gullible who believe the nonsense written by the Sun, Mirror, Mail etc.

The fault lies with the media not the fans

So it's only the media that castigate England players for poor performances? Wasn't the media booing Rooney in South Africa was it?

Was it only the media mumping when England got humiliated by Iceland or were home before postcards in Brazil? Getting to tournaments is their level, like Ireland, Sweden etc. It's unfair to have a go at players for not performing well, because I can't think of a player in the last 15 years who has consistently.
Was it the media burning effigies of Beckham?

It's the media that whip certain "fans" up into that state Super.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 30 Aug 2017, 12:17 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Davie wrote:To be fair Super, that absurd expectation is the making of the media and no one else

I think the vast majority of England fans see that mediocrity - until the next WC or Euros comes around - then there will always be the gullible who believe the nonsense written by the Sun, Mirror, Mail etc.

So it's only the media that castigate England players for poor performances? Wasn't the media booing Rooney in South Africa was it?

Was it only the media mumping when England got humiliated by Iceland or were home before postcards in Brazil? Getting to tournaments is their level, like Ireland, Sweden etc. It's unfair to have a go at players for not performing well, because I can't think of a player in the last 15 years who has consistently.

Tend to agree. It's all a bit Faustian. Most players are happy to use the Media when it suits and the Media are happy to raise expectations of its readers. When things go a bit wrong, both Media and 'fans' are happy to trash those players.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 30 Aug 2017, 12:19 pm

McLaren wrote:I have only seen Mbappe in a few CL matches, but he didn't look any better than Martial or Rashford.  In fact Rashford would clearly be the better of the three.

Mbappe looked very dangerous in the KO matches against Man City and Dortmund. He did more in just those matches than I've ever seen Rashford do. I would say Rashford is clearly way behind Mbappe and Martial in terms of actually having delivered "world class" performances in big games. He has potential though.

However, that's all I've seen of Mbappe. Pretty limited. Can't see how he can be valued at £100m+ as that kind of valuation implies a proven and well established world class performer. But then the market has gone bonkers.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 30 Aug 2017, 12:29 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:I get the impression it's the other way round Ray. Southgate left him out the last few games, last game he played for England was v's Scotland in Nov last year. He took a lot of flack from the media around what position he should play under Hodgson, no 10, in the hole, up front, wide left. (I think in the end Hodgson was as confused as the media). Imo Rooney knows if he went back he would be the center of that attention again. I think certain players and possibly managers take advantage of that at times to keep the focus off them. With England they are all afraid it will be an effigy of them hanging from some motorway bridge somewhere. The media have a lot to do with that and it hurts performance. Rooney's not Andrea Pirlo, he knows that. No point him trying to be, time for other players to step up.

Maybe, you could be on to something. It's quite possible Southgate asked him back into the squad, and Rooney has announced his retirement in petulance because he was previously dropped.

Neither of us know BtB.

I just think Rooney (and his wife) has shown himself to be particularly vain and hungry for attention over the course of his career. I suspect he would love to be branded as " England's saviour" and centre of attention leading up to the world cup next year.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:15 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Eh? How did the fans digest the media response to the match that they were currently at? There was no media present to publish the post match response as those English fans were booing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:17 pm

beninho wrote:I used to think that Alli would be near 100m, i think he would be well above based on how its gone. If Coutinho is being banded at 130 Alli would be over 150.

But its just plucking numbers out of the air with most of them. There is no real reasoning.

With a bit of luck we're about the see the decline of football. This sort of spending isn't sustainable.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:28 am

super_realist wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Eh? How did the fans digest the media response to the match that they were currently at? There was no media present to publish the post match response as those English fans were booing.
Headscratch Perhaps because there's already been media hype prior to that match? For new players coming into the environment, assumptions amongst fans are already set by previous media behaviour re. existing/past players.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:16 pm

Don't be absurd. Football fans don't need the media to tell them to boo, football fans of all countries have ridiculous hope and confidence, no matter how poorly placed in their teams.

I bet Sweden, Russia, Ukraine, Croatia, Turkey and other countries on a par with England are just the same.

To suggest that all England fans have this well rounded view of England, but are then swayed by the media is simply laughable. Give them a bit of credit for having their own minds (no matter how small, flag waving and parochial)

When you see "fans" head in hands following yet another defeat and early bath out of the tournament, how can you say that is down to media building them up? It's the same when a crappy team like Hull is relegated, their fans still look like someone has shat in their mouth. Nothing to do with the media. They have forlorn hope and unrealistic expectation of staying up, of a miracle happening, coupled with disappointment when the inevitable actually happens. Same with England, all these fans we see booing, burning effigies, slating players, smashing up German cars, simply can't accept that England, are not, and probably never have been in most of their lifetimes anything than tournament makeweight and a bang average team.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:46 pm

All I can say is I disagree with everything in the above post. OK there may be a VERY small minority who are stupid enough to believe the media, but I think most fans know EXACTLY where England are .. until the media stir up the ridiculous hype every 2 or 4 years

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm

Davie wrote:All I can say is I disagree with everything in the above post. OK there may be a VERY small minority who are stupid enough to believe the media, but I think most fans know EXACTLY where England are .. until the media stir up the ridiculous hype every 2 or 4 years

Precisely Davie, fans don't need the media to think they're better or more deserving of success than their skill allows. If England fans were realistic, they'd simply leave the stadium after being humped by Iceland and go and have a cup of tea, but there's always a national outcry. It would be c'est la vie, but it's never that way. There's always an inquiry on social media, fans demonstrating their displeasure, remonstrating with each other etc. No media input there at all.

Even terrible countries like Scotland are the same to a certain degree, there's always collective hand wringing when being beaten by Estonia or Latvia, rather than the realisation they are their peer group.
Last Scotland match I went to was v Italy, and people genuinely were disappointed to lose, against Italy FFS. I don't recall the media giving them a chance, but it didn't stop preposterous optimism.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Sep 2017, 10:28 am

super_realist wrote:Don't be absurd. Football fans don't need the media to tell them to boo, football fans of all countries have ridiculous hope and confidence, no matter how poorly placed in their teams.

I bet Sweden, Russia, Ukraine, Croatia, Turkey and other countries on a par with England are just the same.

To suggest that all England fans have this well rounded view of England, but are then swayed by the media is simply laughable. Give them a bit of credit for having their own minds (no matter how small, flag waving and parochial)

When you see "fans" head in hands following yet another defeat and early bath out of the tournament, how can you say that is down to media building them up? It's the same when a crappy team like Hull is relegated, their fans still look like someone has shat in their mouth. Nothing to do with the media. They have forlorn hope and unrealistic expectation of staying up, of a miracle happening, coupled with disappointment when the inevitable actually happens. Same with England, all these fans we see booing, burning effigies, slating players, smashing up German cars,  simply can't accept that England, are not, and probably never have been in most of their lifetimes anything than tournament makeweight and a bang average team.
...and, you miss the issue again. Too often, you don't actually appear to read or consider what someone else actually said. Never mind...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Sep 2017, 10:29 am

super_realist wrote:
Davie wrote:All I can say is I disagree with everything in the above post. OK there may be a VERY small minority who are stupid enough to believe the media, but I think most fans know EXACTLY where England are .. until the media stir up the ridiculous hype every 2 or 4 years

Precisely Davie, fans don't need the media to think they're better or more deserving of success than their skill allows. If England fans were realistic, they'd simply leave the stadium after being humped by Iceland and go and have a cup of tea, but there's always a national outcry. It would be c'est la vie, but it's never that way. There's always an inquiry on social media, fans demonstrating their displeasure, remonstrating with each other etc. No media input there at all.

Even terrible countries like Scotland are the same to a certain degree, there's always collective hand wringing when being beaten by Estonia or Latvia, rather than the realisation they are their peer group.
Last Scotland match I went to was v Italy, and people genuinely were disappointed to lose, against Italy FFS. I don't recall the media giving them a chance, but it didn't stop preposterous optimism.
Read the last bit of Davie's post again...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 01 Sep 2017, 12:16 pm

Navy, your attempts at reason are admirable, but we all know Super's views on this. It's like trying to debate something with a radicalised hate preacher. Laugh Laugh

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Sep 2017, 12:46 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Navy, your attempts at reason are admirable, but we all know Super's views on this. It's like trying to debate something with a radicalised hate preacher. Laugh Laugh

I thought we weren't discussing the POTUS on here any more Run

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm

Another one in the bizarre names department, surname this time.
The Aussie Tour event this week has a Mr Droop on top of the leaderboard. He calls himself Frazer, wonder what his friends call him?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:20 pm

Drew Peacock? ;-)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:37 pm

!!!!

Meanwhile, I see W.Rooney is in trouble - see what happens when you're not nicely tucked up in bed with England?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:55 pm

Why is he driving a beetle?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 01 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

McLaren wrote:Why is he driving a beetle?
Salaries must be lower in Everton..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:12 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Sorry Navy, it's just nonsense that optimism in England is down to the media alone, a modest bit of success in 1990 and 1996 has chequered peoples realism to the point where they think they should be beating teams that they aren't any better than.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:14 pm

Better than what you're driving Mac.

It's actually quite refreshing to see a footballer drive something other than the usual clichéd supercar or pimped out Range Rover. He might be as thick as my fridge door, but it's nice to see a normal car and not needing to show off, at least with one car.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:34 pm

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Sorry Navy, it's just nonsense that optimism in England is down to the media alone, a modest bit of success in 1990 and 1996 has chequered peoples realism to the point where they think they should be beating teams that they aren't any better than.

Jesus you're like a broken record. Give it a fc uking rest

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:45 pm

With England currently stinking the house out against the mighty Malta, perhaps there's still time for the media to get the message out to the fans that England should be 10-0 up and frightening the Germans and Spanish?

Some funny "we're better than them" comments on the BBC, strangely, no one in the media is forcing them to say it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 01 Sep 2017, 9:56 pm

Good win for england in the end. A midfield of livermore and henderson deserves to be on the wworld stage in russia.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 02 Sep 2017, 12:31 am

beninho wrote:A midfield of livermore and henderson deserves to be on the wworld stage in russia.
Best chance of that happening will be as half time entertainment with J.Lo and Andrea Bocelli..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 02 Sep 2017, 11:55 am

raycastleunited wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:It's not like he hasn't put a shift in Navy, he's playing well again and going to get regular football so taking his name out of the reckoning now is a good move imo. The England setup is a media circus at the best of times, time for other players to step up.

You are right that the England set up is a media circus, but Rooney plays to it. Him and his wife are always seeking extra publicity.

How ironic... Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 04 Sep 2017, 1:16 pm

super_realist wrote:

Better than what you're driving Mac.

It's actually quite refreshing to see a footballer drive something other than the usual clichéd supercar or pimped out Range Rover. He might be as thick as my fridge door, but it's nice to see a normal car and not needing to show off, at least with one car.

Don't give him any credit Super. It was actually the car belonging to the bimbo he was with. I think Rooney himself has the usual collection of bentleys and range rovers (not that he'll be driving them for a while).

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 04 Sep 2017, 8:47 pm

Fair enough Ray, I thought he might have been being less than your stereotypical footballer with zero taste.
Not that there's anything wrong with Bentley's and RR's, but they are not exactly original or requiring of much imagination.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 05 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

super_realist wrote:Fair enough Ray, I thought he might have been being less than your stereotypical footballer with zero taste.
Not that there's anything wrong with Bentley's and RR's, but they are not exactly original or requiring of much imagination.

Pretty sure Rooney is the epitome of the stereotypical footballer with zero taste. Wouldn't be surprised if he has naff customisations on his bentleys and RR's.

Something like this:
http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/fan-park/update/milan/6222

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 05 Sep 2017, 1:50 pm

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/580254/Wayne-Rooney-car-orange-Bentley-Manchester-United

This was January, so probably all changed by now.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 05 Sep 2017, 5:45 pm

beninho wrote:http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/580254/Wayne-Rooney-car-orange-Bentley-Manchester-United

I wonder whether the Daily Star realise the irony in saying "30 Cool Footballers Cars" in the article with a photo gallery. Footballers are even less cool than golfers who are deeply uncool people. There is nothing "cool" about them or their cars. More like 30 Ghastly Footballers Cars.

Footballers are the least cultured, least intelligent, least stylish and least admirable people in professional sport. I suppose only a newspaper like the Star could get a footballer and "cool" confused.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:07 pm

If you live on a council estate, wear shell suits, drink wkd, listen to garage (maybe korrupt fm), then an orange bentley is very cool. Not as cool as a camouflage lambo though.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:38 pm

If Rooney couldn't play football he'd be driving a stolen moped..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:37 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/580254/Wayne-Rooney-car-orange-Bentley-Manchester-United

I wonder whether the Daily Star realise the irony in saying "30 Cool Footballers Cars" in the article with a photo gallery. Footballers are even less cool than golfers who are deeply uncool people. There is nothing "cool" about them or their cars. More like 30 Ghastly Footballers Cars.

Footballers are the least cultured, least intelligent, least stylish and least admirable people in professional sport. I suppose only a newspaper like the Star could get a footballer and "cool" confused.

Nope, thats rugby players. Horrendous sport.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:39 pm

And korrupt fm is cool!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 06 Sep 2017, 9:10 am

Well damn you all! If I had that much cash I'd be trying out all those cars, they may not be cool but they are pretty bloody good. Granted I'd probably have less garish colour in them (although Lamborghini's should be exuberant) but if I could afford a Bugatti comfortably, I'd certainly try one for a while, then move on.

That said, you can bet I'd also have a nice Golf diesel for everyday use!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 06 Sep 2017, 9:45 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Nope, thats rugby players. Horrendous sport.
Says the 'expert'. Ridiculous remark. Oh All Knowing One, why is rugby a 'horrendous' sport? Do tell...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 06 Sep 2017, 9:57 am

Im anything but an all knowing one, Its just a sport I really dislike, and In my view, its no better then football, which was given a real slating in the post I responded to.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 06 Sep 2017, 10:50 am

Seems you missed the point. S_R was referring to football players, not football.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 Sep 2017, 12:36 pm

In school and uni those that played rugby were always the biggest bellends. I assume they don't vanquish their bellendishness after this.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 06 Sep 2017, 5:39 pm

McLaren wrote:In school and uni those that played rugby were always the biggest bellends. I assume they don't vanquish their bellendishness after this.
What has that got to do with the SPORT of rugby?

Yes, there's a 'laddish' culture around rugby, but I'm not sure that those who play professionally include quite the same level of dullards/idiots as does professional football. Maybe the % is the same; I have no idea. Certainly, Danni Cipriani would have slotted quite easily into the pro football culture in his younger days.
Still, at least football doesn't have a history of fan violence and one can stand in all Premiership grounds and have a beer, while standing next to an opposition fan. Oh, wait! None of that's the case...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 06 Sep 2017, 5:43 pm

Mac at Uni trust its all been worthwhile.
Accountants play Rugby,solicitors play Hockey,civil service types do cricket and the rest play footy.
And then when we are all older we try to play golf but the footy boys seem to adapt better ?.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 06 Sep 2017, 6:49 pm

I don't see any logic whatsoever to suggest footballers are in some way "worse" as professional sportsmen than boxers, basketball players, US footballers or rugby league players.
It's a bizarre suggestion, the demographic for these sports is mainly blue collar. You get examples of less intelligent/ostentatious players on all of them. Kyrgios is a bell end, Ben Stokes has sleeve tattoos. Cricket and tennis aren't immune from these kind of people. Didn't Rory go and buy a Ferrari as soon as he passed his test?
If you want to say working class people who go into sport are ultimately thick, tasteless and crass then that's an opinion, to suggest more of these people are in football than other sports is just a weird suggestion based mainly as far as I can see around a dislike for a sport (that he still watches just enough to make him an expert on).

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 Sep 2017, 7:15 pm

McLaren wrote:In school and uni those that played rugby were always the biggest bellends. I assume they don't vanquish their bellendishness after this.

Got to agree with you there, and their boorish behaviour and loutish "rugby games" were always incredibly sad. Not to mention they were only playing Rugby because they were too fat and lacking in the skill to play football.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next